• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

JTripper

Anyone get Absolute Court of Owls or Brian K Vaughan's Private Eye Deluxe Edition?

Can't find pictures or any visual review anywhere and I'm thinking of getting both, maybe for Christmas.

Also, as someone who never read Sandman, should I go for the Absolute Editions for the best experience or just go for the slipcase edition?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I'm getting back into reading comics (mainly Batman and Superman titles) and I am thinking of regularly picking up these titles:

Batman
Superman: American Alien
Robin: Son of Batman
Omega Men (unrelated but read it's really good)
Grayson

Besides Batman, which I read up through Zero Year before I had to stop buying comics, what's everyone's opinion on the others? Is Superman worth picking up if I start around #32?

I will also recommend Grayson. Very good book.

Maybe it's too soon to say, but, Monstress is damn close to overtaking Revival as my favorite monthly book. Everything about it is too good.

big post incoming!

I kind of love Charest's work even though i tend to loathe his style (stiff figures, overly rendered drawings) in most other artists

re: women artists in comics, there's two somewhat noteworthy Silver Age artists in Ramona Fradon at DC and Marie Severin at Marvel. The underground folks were pretty male-centric afaik as well, but there's also stuff like Wimmen's Comix. Other than those, there haven't been as many big ones that I know of though I admit that's probably largely my own ignorance

As far as Japan goes, Rumiko Takahashi (InuYasha, Ranma 1/2, etc) is my bet for the biggest one...she's probably the biggest in the world too

I *love* over-rendered comic pages. Overplaying technique is kind of what I go for personally even when it doesnt work I like it. Charest is pretty much the best at it. He never makes crazy subject matter look boring like Alex Ross does sometimes. Did you ever read Spacegirl? I can't same I'm itching for work written by him...

Im gonna look up Fradon and Severin. Historically, it seems like any prominent women in Big 2 were more often colorists or editors. Underground comics were definitely guilty of not being inclusive to women. Crumb, Sim, Spiegelman never really seemed interested in using their influence in bringing more women into comics.

One of the manga Im interested in reading is Nana. I have a lot of friends who rave about it often. Looks to have been one of the biggest female titles in manga

From Japan, CLAMP is another really prolific one, being a group of women (and they're actually a pretty unique entity as far as manga creators go). Plus of course all the women in Shojo/Josei stuff. This article also reminded me of Kazue Kato and Hiromu Arakawa in particular (alongside the others mentioned) as other great examples of women breaking that awkward mold of "yeah, female mangaka pretty much make stuff "for girls"", which I'd love to see broken more often (and hell, vice versa as well, get some Shojo stuff done by men too as well, because why not!)

Edit: Apparently the mangaka for Samurai Deeper Kyo/Code: Breaker is another example.
Edit: And Akira Amano of Reborn! fame. I'm learning quite a bit from this topic!
Edit: Oh right, D. Gray-man!
Edit: BTW, while I'm on the manga topic, Viz has actually been having some pretty solid digital sales for a while. Like, Yuyu Hakusho has a pretty nice bundle price right now for anyone interested, for an example. Cool to see a manga publisher get their act together on that, even if I'm not a digital guy.
Thanks for that link. I havent gotten into a lot of manga by women for a couple reasons. Some of it is my knowledge of it is pretty limited. Kind of hard for me to parse what I will like even if Im not even in the target demographic. I grew up reading some CLAMP stuff. Mostly X/1999 and Magic Knight Rayearth. I also tried getting into the OG Sailor Moon manga but got just a bit into it before realizing it wasnt all that good or maybe just not for me.

I find lately that I really want to read a nice contained story, or at least say something like the God Butcher arc in Thor, but I never have the time to read a trade/graphic novel AND keep up with weekly issues. Anyone else run into this problem? I just purchased all of Sandman, for instance. But most of my comics reading time is devoted to whatever issues I picked up that week. If there's a big week (say 10 or so issues) I usually can't even read all the weeklies and then I fall behind until a slow week comes around. As I type this out, I'm not sure it's actually much of a problem and I think this post is just boiling down to "man, I wish I read comics more often".

So when the hell does Deadly Class come back?
I dont even bother with monthly releases outside of MU. If theres a new series that sounds pretty interesting Ill buy the first issue and make my choice whether Ill buy the trade when it comes out. For example: Ill be buying the Monstress tpb when it comes out b/c the first issue was superb.

yeah, I think a big part of it is that Japan has a real sizeable female readership in a way that NA/Euro comics don't or the dominance of superheroes has killed (at least in the case of romance comics)
I think it would be pretty interesting to ask women in the western comics industry to name other women who likely would have stayed in comics if they had felt welcome to participate in it. Janelle Asselin talked about how many talented people she knew who gave up on the comics industry and it had me wondering if there was some way to estimate the possible talent loss.

Am I gonna have to drop some Hirohiko Araki on all you kids?

JoJos Bizarre Adventure? Its one of those series I want to get into but its been running forever and I have a hang up about getting into really long running titles with an actual continuity

Ah really? My bad then since the first thing that came to mind was Araki ^^;
If anything I'll nominate the FMA artist Hiromu Arakawa, her art is spectacular, as well as Kaoru Mori who is the artist and author of A Bride's Story
bride2.png

f81f586d25e2d1077c0652bef3392d8a.jpg
Moura is definitely one of the top artists I want to get more familiar with her work. The level of detail on clothing is legendary.

I'm glad you're enjoying this page.

F5rwz.jpg
I like how stark is clearly waving to someone else and Land just moved his eyes.

Anyone get Absolute Court of Owls or Brian K Vaughan's Private Eye Deluxe Edition?

Can't find pictures or any visual review anywhere and I'm thinking of getting both, maybe for Christmas.

Also, as someone who never read Sandman, should I go for the Absolute Editions for the best experience or just go for the slipcase edition?
The absolute editions are pretty nice but I dont think theyre priced well so if you can get those for a good discount go with those.

Theres also 2 omnibus volumes but I have no clue how readable they are.

Get that paper Sienkiewicz!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Damn Flash, you were supposed to be the good Venom

tumblr_n9dyveRYd21tcnpluo1_500.png

2096503-hijacker_death_venom_9.jpg

Messi

I watched Empire Strikes Back. I have some hot takes on this movie. This is a great movie, Leia is the best still, everyone was more likable. Lando was good even though he is a bit of a bastard. Han is better than Luke. Vader sure likes choking people. Movie looks great. Bobo Fett is a punk, fuck that guy. Luke getting a new hand straight away lessens him losing a hand. Yoda is whiny.

One thing bothered me, when Luke jumped after Vader told him he is his pop the way he ends up in that tube is ridiculous lol.

So was book of death any good?

My least favorite Valiant event, but was still a great event. For the book itself, I think it all lends itself to a pretty great story with a satisfying, bittersweet finale. My main gripe is Robert Gill's art. He's solid, but not event-worthy. Braithwaite contributes some breathtaking pages.

Also, the Fall of tie-ins are fantastic. Haven't read Legends of the Geomancer for the obvious reason.

VanWinkle

I'm loving Runaways (2003). It's really fun. Funny but realistic writing (given the circumstances surrounding it, of course) and the premise is just wonderful.

Art is pretty decent, but not loving it by any means. I never liked this type of shading style. For some reason it just makes me think Marvel style shading. I don't know why since there's plenty of artistic variety at Marvel, but it just does based on my fairly limited experience with them, lol.

Messi

I'm loving Runaways (2003). It's really fun. Funny but realistic writing (given the circumstances surrounding it, of course) and the premise is just wonderful.

Art is pretty decent, but not loving it by any means. I never liked this type of shading style. For some reason it just makes me think Marvel style shading. I don't know why since there's plenty of artistic variety at Marvel, but it just does based on my fairly limited experience with them, lol.

Man Alphonas art changed so much between runaways and Ms Marvel

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Hate hate hate the art in the new WicDiv. This person is by far the worst guest they've had yet. Rushing through this one so I don't have to look at this shit any longer than I have to.

Brandon Graham.....definitely not a fan.

Hate hate hate the art in the new WicDiv. This person is by far the worst guest they've had yet. Rushing through this one so I don't have to look at this shit any longer than I have to.

Wow, this is not an opinion we often hear. I'd understand if his style didn't jive with this book, but are you saying you don't dig his style ever? Not on Prophet? King City?

frye

um actually brandon graham rules

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Really into Slott's She Hulk, Remender's Venom and Yost's Scarlet Spider right now. Not everything has to be about the heavy hitters

brandon graham *does* rule

hes an amazing storyteller. his sense for panel placement and story beats is pretty much flawless.

hes also a great shit talker

brandon graham *does* rule

hes an amazing storyteller. his sense for panel placement and story beats is pretty much flawless.

hes also a great shit talker

Have you met him? 'Cause this is so true. Dude will tell you what he really thinks.

Speaking of saying what you really think, my girlfriend just said that Zatanna looks like "a girl Michael Jackson."

Decided to actually keep up with some ANAD stuff rather than MU waiting on everything by picking up Totally Awesome Hulk and Vision. Both are pretty fantastic and I'm going to subscribe on comixology. Also picked up Monstress which was... okay. Not really my thing.

Have you met him? 'Cause this is so true. Dude will tell you what he really thinks.

Speaking of saying what you really think, my girlfriend just said that Zatanna looks like "a girl Michael Jackson."

Never met him but I've got my sources

Also, the proof is in the pudding

Graham is so knowledgable about comics and the nature of storytelling. I'd absolutely love talking with him. Also, would love to hear him talk shit irl

Rhaknar

So here I am reading Venom and this crazy story with ghost rider, red hulk and x-23 comes up, and lo and behold, there is a mirror that spits out reflected twisted versions of the heroes...

...just like fucking black vortex. So not only was that event boring as shit, it wasn't even original? I feel I just got Bendis'ed hard

I take it this was before his space adventures.

Yes, early on in his 2011 run. To be fair that asshole had just run over a mother and child with his tank >_>

Yousefb

Yaaaay I've been waiting for Justice League! Darkseid War has been so epic. Not to mention gorgeous to look at. Question though, I have only read the Batman tie-in. Do you guys recommend checking out any of the other tie ins before jumping back into the main series?

Tizoc

JoJos Bizarre Adventure? Its one of those series I want to get into but its been running forever and I have a hang up about getting into really long running titles with an actual continuity

It's no longer than your average Marvel comic book hero series :p
You can either watch the animated adaptations or just read the manga in its original art.
So far Parts 1 and 2 have been republished in English in the form of bigger TPBs-
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1421578794/?tag=neogaf0e-20
So far they collect up til the early chapters of Part 2.

Part 3 is collected in full though.

Dunno if all Parts after 3 will ever be collected since they have lots of references to music brands and people. Also punching Spaghetti
tumblr_mp8crovIYv1r2umvdo2_500.jpg

raf,750x1000,075,t,white.jpg

because reasons

Yousefb

Batman and Robin Eternal has been great. This particular issue was a bit on the darker side, different from the jokes played out between Tim and Jason in the last couple of issues. I never read the first Eternal so I am not familiar with Harper but she's shaping up to be one of my favorites. Also, Cassie Cain is a badass.

Owzers

Rhaknar posting smoochy spoiler final pages.

NXT....i watched through the finn/joe match and so far the new day triple tag team match from TLC was the best match out of both events.

Rhaknar

Rhaknar posting smoochy spoiler final pages.

NXT....i watched through the finn/joe match and so far the new day triple tag team match from TLC was the best match out of both events.

It's a 5 year old comic :(

And there's still 3 more pages after that! :p

Rhaknar

Silver Surfer #12! It was first on my MU to read page! Smooch! Will they, won't they? You robbed me of this drama.

Pretty good issue though, right?

Oh I thought you meant venom's smooch lol

Yes I love everything about Slott's Surfer and that kiss is true love, spoilers won't stop true love damn you!

Yousefb

Question regarding Justice League 46. Had a little trouble understanding the ending. So overall, I thought this was the weakest issue of the Darkseid War so far but it was still fun. My question is
what exactly happened at the end there with Grail and the Anti-Monitor? Is the Anti-Monitor gone and Grail took over his power somehow? I am lost

Top Bottom