• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

Yousefb

Real talk, Morrison is very hit-or-miss for me.

Liked: We3, Multiversity, Nameless, All-Star Superman, Vimanarama, 52

Disliked: Invisibles, Joe the Barbarian, Seven Soldiers, Batman Inc., Flex Mentallo
Yeah his style can be a bit difficult to get into I find.

I'm honestly just looking for a good non superhero book to read on the plane. Long flight from Boston to Kuwait. As much as I love the Marvel and DC stuff it's the non cape books that really keep me hooked. Stuff like Y the Last Man, Deadly Class, Black Science, Sandman, Chew, and (this one is cheating but screw it I don't care) Gotham Central.

Is Sue Richards a married woman that gets around? She slept with namor right? I seriously think she road that sea pony.

Does reed know? Why does he take her back if so?

n566Tha.jpg

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Yeah his style can be a bit difficult to get into I find.

I'm honestly just looking for a good non superhero book to read on the plane.
Long flight from Boston to Kuwait. As much as I love the Marvel and DC stuff it's the non cape books that really keep me hooked. Stuff like Y the Last Man, Deadly Class, Black Science, Sandman, Chew, and (this one is cheating but screw it I don't care) Gotham Central.

Manifest Destiny!

It's got mystery, action, and a bit of comedy relief. If you don't like it never pay attention to me again.

You ever read a comic that references an old arc/issue, probably from the silver-age and go "I remember reading that!"

All-New Inhumans just did that to me

Sadist

So I just read civil war. I need some help here. Is there more to this story?

It ends with cap turning himself over and what appears to be spiderman leading the resistance.

Was that the end of the story line? I need more lmfao. Is there a second book?
There are are a lot of individual books handeling the aftermath; but I can't say which ones are really good. Spider-Man for instance got really, really stupid (that's all I can say), New Avengers too... well Iron Man was interesting. If you want to read more events after Civil War Marvel went on with Secret Invasion (crap), Dark Reign (cool) and Siege (decent). The latter concludes the registration act stuff.

Is Thor dead? What happened to him?
Thor is... in stasis. Like all Asgardians. Post Civil War Thor returns to learn about the events of Civil War and tries to rebuild Asgard. And well... Tony thinks he can persuade a god. Yeah... bad call.

#teamStark, you?
Team Cap all the way. If you like Iron Man, you should read Matt Fractions Invincible Iron Man run. Great redemption tour for Tony.

Owzers

So is batman earth one worth getting for £8 in the comixology sale or should I spend an extra £6 to get both books in paperback?

i don't enjoy reading comics unless i know a tree had to die so that Geoff Johns could write about a guy wearing a cape.

I usually buy digital if it's half or less than the print version. Print for earth one vol 2 bats was $13.74 at dcbs, digital was $6, digital won even though i had vol 1 in print just for the savings, it will help me buy more books that i don't read.

edit: my guinea pig died overnight, i know one of you did it to get back at me for not buying dc books and i will not rest until i find out who. Harrier?

Finished Why I Hate Saturn. Stayed great throughout and I loved the relationship between Anne and Laura. Just a fun story.

Think I prefer You Are Here but both of them are just excellent. Must read material if you enjoy this medium IMO.

edit: Sorry to hear that sillymonkey :(

ISSUE WRAP-UPS:

Ivar, Timewalker #12: A good end to the series. Though, it really deserves a re-read. Not because it's confusing, but because I'd like to see how it plays in a condensed format (probably way better than a monthly).

Huck #2: Still enjoying this book. It's a nice book. I like how Huck takes this as an opportunity to help more people, as opposed to getting overwhelmed and retreating. He's just a nice guy who wants to help. Although I find his calm reactions to
soldiers straight up killing people a bit...odd. Also curious as to where that crowd of people came from when he found that lady's husband
. All in all, I'm still enjoying it.

The Uncanny Inhumans #3: As I've said before, I like the story and the characters, as always, but I don't like McNiven's art. It bugs me. It's like it tries to be pseudo-realistic, but whenever there's a close-up, it looks like garbage. Like there's way too much facial detail. The action doesn't feel kinetic. Definitely the weaker of the two Inhumans books right now (which is upsetting, considering the cast). Also, Johnny Storm's role as jobber is hilarious. And I could have sworn Ahura's powers used to be different back in the day. I thought his power was geomancy, or some shit. Apparently not.

All-New Inhumans #2: My girl Crystal. Seeing her develop over the years into a battle-hardened diplomat is interesting. Becoming more and more like Medusa, despite her condemning of Medusa's behavior in the past. I'm liking Panacea and Grid right now, too. Still don't like Gorgon being in a wheelchair. Also, that old school Avengers reference. I remember reading that. Dude took out, if I recall: Cap, Hawkeye, Wanda, Pietro, and Hercules. I can't remember if Vision, Wasp, and/or Hank were with them during that mission.

Ms. Marvel #2: Not much to say here, since It's basically the same as before, except I'm disappointed
that it's Hydra again. Was hoping for a better twist than that.

Silk #2: Going interesting places with this storyline. I liked the
Goblin Nation part of SSM, so it's nice to see it reprised. Peter's gonna make this interesting.
The new art is decent. I don't like it as much as the old art, but it works. Or is it not even a new artist? It looks different.

All-New X-Men #2: Fuck young Warren and fuck whatever character assassination bullshit is happening in this book. It's frustrating. That's how I would describe this book. Frustrating.

The Mighty Thor #2: Goddamn this book is sick. Curious as to what
Loki is really up to, since, last I checked, he was an anti-hero? I'd like to believe that he's trying towards the same goal Jane is, but just in his own way. Or undoing all the character development he's had in the past year or so due to editorial.
Either way, I'm interested.

Illuminati #2: Am I the only one here reading this? Because I like it. Just villains being villains. I love villain teams. Just scumbaggery all around. Art's pretty dope, too. And fucking A at that Paste-Pot Pete. Goddamn.

Starbrand and Nightmask #1: This book should be fun. The contrast between slice-of-life shenanigans and cosmic-tier superheroics is interesting, and I look forward to see how it's played out. Also dig the art. Although, I don't understand why they
made Blizzard an Inhuman.
Wasn't he originally a science experiment gone wrong? Why change that?

diaspora

ISSUE WRAP-UPS:

Loki is really up to, since, last I checked, he was an anti-hero? I'd like to believe that he's trying towards the same goal Jane is, but just in his own way. Or undoing all the character development he's had in the past year or so due to editorial.

There were two versions of Loki. The anti-hero Loki (God of Stories whose crown has a broken horn) that's hanging out with Verity. There's also the God of Lies older-Loki that's more bitter/evil whose crown has both horns intact.

edit:
Since the Loki in Mighty Thor has his crown with both horns, we can assume it's the latter Loki.

There were two versions of Loki. The anti-hero Loki (God of Stories whose crown has a broken horn) that's hanging out with Verity. There's also the God of Lies older-Loki that's more bitter/evil whose crown has both horns intact.

edit:
Since the Loki in Mighty Thor has his crown with both horns, we can assume it's the latter Loki.

Aaah okay. I'm also a bit confused, because between Illuminati and The Mighty Thor,
in the former Enchantress is chilling on Earth so she doesn't have to deal with Odin and other Asgard bullshit (with super cool design, by the way). Whereas in the latter, she (in her classic look) is working with Malekith.

diaspora

Aaah okay. I'm also a bit confused, because between Illuminati and The Mighty Thor,
in the former Enchantress is chilling on Earth so she doesn't have to deal with Odin and other Asgard bullshit (with super cool design, by the way). Whereas in the latter, she (in her classic look) is working with Malekith.

Oh yeah. For that, there's really no explanation.

Owzers

Thanks for kind guinea pig words. I watched Ant-Man and it was pretty good, i see the comparison to Iron Man in overall plot but this one had ants, that's totally new. Ants. A lot of them.

Slowly proceeding through Sinestro Corps. War (I only have so much time), and boy is it sick. Fuck everyone for shitting on the Earth lanterns though.

Slowly proceeding through Sinestro Corps. War (I only have so much time), and boy is it sick. Fuck everyone for shitting on the Earth lanterns though.

Sinestro War was a really good arc. Perhaps my favorite. Shit was overdone with Blackest Night after DC started adding all the colors of the rainbow.

ISSUE WRAP-UPS:

Ivar, Timewalker #12: A good end to the series. Though, it really deserves a re-read. Not because it's confusing, but because I'd like to see how it plays in a condensed format (probably way better than a monthly).

Huck #2: Still enjoying this book. It's a nice book. I like how Huck takes this as an opportunity to help more people, as opposed to getting overwhelmed and retreating. He's just a nice guy who wants to help. Although I find his calm reactions to
soldiers straight up killing people a bit...odd. Also curious as to where that crowd of people came from when he found that lady's husband
. All in all, I'm still enjoying it.

The Uncanny Inhumans #3: As I've said before, I like the story and the characters, as always, but I don't like McNiven's art. It bugs me. It's like it tries to be pseudo-realistic, but whenever there's a close-up, it looks like garbage. Like there's way too much facial detail. The action doesn't feel kinetic. Definitely the weaker of the two Inhumans books right now (which is upsetting, considering the cast). Also, Johnny Storm's role as jobber is hilarious. And I could have sworn Ahura's powers used to be different back in the day. I thought his power was geomancy, or some shit. Apparently not.

All-New Inhumans #2: My girl Crystal. Seeing her develop over the years into a battle-hardened diplomat is interesting. Becoming more and more like Medusa, despite her condemning of Medusa's behavior in the past. I'm liking Panacea and Grid right now, too. Still don't like Gorgon being in a wheelchair. Also, that old school Avengers reference. I remember reading that. Dude took out, if I recall: Cap, Hawkeye, Wanda, Pietro, and Hercules. I can't remember if Vision, Wasp, and/or Hank were with them during that mission.

Ms. Marvel #2: Not much to say here, since It's basically the same as before, except I'm disappointed
that it's Hydra again. Was hoping for a better twist than that.

Silk #2: Going interesting places with this storyline. I liked the
Goblin Nation part of SSM, so it's nice to see it reprised. Peter's gonna make this interesting.
The new art is decent. I don't like it as much as the old art, but it works. Or is it not even a new artist? It looks different.

All-New X-Men #2: Fuck young Warren and fuck whatever character assassination bullshit is happening in this book. It's frustrating. That's how I would describe this book. Frustrating.

Illuminati #2: Am I the only one here reading this? Because I like it. Just villains being villains. I love villain teams. Just scumbaggery all around. Art's pretty dope, too. And fucking A at that Paste-Pot Pete. Goddamn.

Starbrand and Nightmask #1: This book should be fun. The contrast between slice-of-life shenanigans and cosmic-tier superheroics is interesting, and I look forward to see how it's played out. Also dig the art. Although, I don't understand why they
made Blizzard an Inhuman.
Wasn't he originally a science experiment gone wrong? Why change that?
Thanks for the reviews! I think if I were to start reading comics again, I would start with the unheralded heroes Marvel books and a few DC books.

Tomita

I already left this community.

But now I'm back....though had to skip two pages cause of Star Wars talk. I can't watch that shit for like a week, welp.

Silly question, but...is Pax Americana just a one-shot? I think my brain is mixing it up with a different series that's been going on for years...

Also I checked out the first volume of Birthright and...it was okay.
Don't really like that the brother is possessed or whatever by the bad guy he was supposed to defeat. I'm not saying you can't go to some interesting places with that--the first one being the motivations behind why he let that happen to himself in the first place--but uh... Guess this was my mistake, I was expecting a more psychological thing to go on. This is more action-fantasy stuff. The family (well, besides the mom) will realize their son/brother is "evil" and go against him but oh no he's just possessed it's okay!!! Also his only motivation for being possessed will be because he wanted to go home, right? Which, eh, I get that, but he's not a kid anymore. This would be less silly if he was still a kid when he did such a moronic thing.

Eh I dunno, am I being too cynical about the plot? I liked the twist at the end though when Rya showed up pregnant. Nice use of the loop hole there... (Because she can only enter Earth because of Mikey's blood in their unborn child, yeah?)

Gonna go back to my Transmetropolitan reread. Warren Ellis is just spoiling me.

Top Bottom