• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

mreddie

If only Marvel knew what they were doing...

1PFgQw7.png

oh and

Huh

So the Holiday Special and Howard the Duck issues are canon?

Messi

So the Holiday Special and Howard the Duck issues are canon?

Appears so. The holiday special in particular to me felt like they were setting something up. I hope they continue with Kamala and her being friendly. But I doubt it with how crazy gwen is.

Boogiepop

Hmm... IST update brought with it a new BPRD Hell on Earth volume, and... the "TMNT Ultimate Collection 6". Not sure how much I want that one, as it's kind of a bit scummy that they jammed it into that collection (for reference, 1-5 were all the main TMNT stories by the original creators and have been out for a while. This just kind of popped up in solicitations this year and is apparently a bundle of a ton of short stories, and as such really doesn't feel like it should be part of the same set at all). Still, completionism and all that means I kind of want the contents anyway, so I guess I'll suck it up and pay for it, even if it is kind of a scam to trick people into thinking it's every bit the same as the stuff that came before...

Edit: People like the new Howard the Duck series, right? The above two items plus the first trade of that would make an IST order that hits free shipping...

Owzers

Hmm... IST update brought with it a new BPRD Hell on Earth volume, and... the "TMNT Ultimate Collection 6". Not sure how much I want that one, as it's kind of a bit scummy that they jammed it into that collection (for reference, 1-5 were all the main TMNT stories by the original creators and have been out for a while. This just kind of popped up in solicitations this year and is apparently a bundle of a ton of short stories, and as such really doesn't feel like it should be part of the same set at all). Still, completionism and all that means I kind of want the contents anyway, so I guess I'll suck it up and pay for it, even if it is kind of a scam to trick people into thinking it's every bit the same as the stuff that came before...

Edit: People like the new Howard the Duck series, right? The above two items plus the first trade of that would make an IST order that hits free shipping...
Howard the ducks plotting isn't that good but there's always a page each issue that makes the comic worthwhile, I'd say get it.

Messi

Remember when Rafa told us that Joe Quinones would be off of Howard after 3 issues and that he couldn't keep an ongoing schedule. Good times.

Yousefb

Just got caught up on all of Robin War (so far) and Uncanny Inhumans. Loving both those series! Inhumans is comic booky as hell and that is a big plus. Not sure why they get so much hate. This particular series reminds me of the action adventure feel of DnA cosmic marvel (War/Realm of Kings era), albeit on a smaller scale.

Robin War has been a great event as well, although reading it alongside B&R Eternal I sometimes get confused with what happened in which lol. Eternal takes place chronologically before Robin War right?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Taskmaster mini was surprisingly good, and not just because I'm a Tasky fanboy

Boogiepop

Howard the ducks plotting isn't that good but there's always a page each issue that makes the comic worthwhile, I'd say get it.

Huh, thanks. Actually, I just realized Jem volume 1 is out and I haven't read that either. Is that a better choice? (And it does work fine for someone who knows literally nothing of the IP outside of the theme song, right?)

Messi

Huh, thanks. Actually, I just realized Jem volume 1 is out and I haven't read that either. Is that a better choice? (And it does work fine for someone who knows literally nothing of the IP outside of the theme song, right?)

Jem is amazing even if you know nothing about Jem. It's great fun and friendships. Stunningly beautiful book also.

Howard is also good BTW. But I'd go with Jem personally as the better book.

Look out for A Force Vol 0 too. That book is great.

Boogiepop

Jem is amazing even if you know nothing about Jem. It's great fun and friendships. Stunningly beautiful book also.

Howard is also good BTW. But I'd go with Jem personally as the better book.

Look out for A Force Vol 0 too. That book is great.

Went ahead and took the plunge for Jem, and put Howard on the wishlist, along with A Force (though that one may be caught in the loooong wait of waiting on some proper Hickman Avengers omnibi that collect things in a sensible order to come out so I can finally read all that up through Secret Wars).

Owzers

Howard the Duck just got the IST equivalent of the friend zone. Wishlist...books have died in the wishlist! I have Sunstone in my wishlist, you know when that's happening? Never.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I always get to stuff on my CMX wish list. Black Canary and Zatanna had been on there the longest and I finally got it crossed off.

Boogiepop

Howard the Duck just got the IST equivalent of the friend zone. Wishlist...books have died in the wishlist! I have Sunstone in my wishlist, you know when that's happening? Never.
There's like one or two bigger ticket things that have been chilling in my wishlist for a while that I just haven't pulled the trigger on yet, but for the most part if I put it on there I'll likely buy it before too long. I'd imagine Howard will probably end up in my next order, which'll be when the Superior Foes omni comes out at the absolute latest.

The real problem comes when I forget to put something on the wishlist, which is how I kept forgetting to order the first Kabuki library edition for longer than I should probably admit (I did get it eventually, though!)

Owzers

I still can't come up with a comic buying game plan from the last time i mentioned it, buying trade vol 1s then.....nothing, so my IST wishlist is all the things i want to continue reading but can't decide how so i don't read it at all.

Taskmaster mini was surprisingly good, and not just because I'm a Tasky fanboy

Are you talking about the Fred Van Lente mini where Taskmaster fights a Mexican village full of Hitlers?
That book is so unappreciated in a way that only your mom washing your underwear when you were a teen would understand.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Are you talking about the Fred Van Lente mini where Taskmaster fights a Mexican village full of Hitlers?
That book is so unappreciated in a way that only your mom washing your underwear when you were a teen would understand.

I sure am. Taskmaster plays guitar with a narcocorrido band of day of the dead gangsters too

It's pretty great :p

Also, that comic totally precedes Agents of Shield but there's a drawing of maskless Tasky that looks EXACTLY like Ward. And he's also a former shield agent in it, so I can totally see why people have been calling for Ward to be Taskmaster for years now

Secret Six (old) wrapped, Secret Six new started... I love these books. New 52 one suffers a little from a similar ailment as New 52 Suicide Squad has, that it doesn't have a bench of D-Listers to build off of, but it's pretty damn good all the same.

Also, Simone's got a talent for writing big really well. The meeting of the Occult is impressive.

And I love Strix.

Oh, and for anyone thinking of starting it, heads up, #3 and #4 are out of order for some odd reason.

Megatron

Cbr's top 25 Deadpool stories ended yesterday. The winner was
the good the bad and the ugly by Duggan and Shavley.
That was number one on my list but I had no idea it was so popular. Its so recent.

That was number one on my list but I had no idea it was so popular. Its so recent.
im not familiar with many deadpool stories but that arc was rock solid and not just for a deadpool book

Messi

100% deserved. That story is fantastic all around.

Owzers

I'm trying to read through random things i own in print, Samurai Jack #1 was okay, probably not enough to get me to win more, but i could see others enjoying it perhaps. What else is there to say about the book....it had art. The story involved Jack trying to find the threads of time to stop an enemy, got into a brawl, etc.

Just got caught up on The Legend of Wonder Woman #6 & #7, shit's getting real. Art remains gorgeous, not much to say on that front, but the story is really heating up. Eagerly anticipating the next issue.

Bombshells #22 AKA: Wonder Woman vs. Nazi Zombies. I'd buy that game.

I'll continue to buy this book, it's pretty damn good.

diaspora

I laughed, but it's still fun so whatever.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Zodiac was running both SHIELD and Hydra simultaneously at one point during Secret Warriors. I almost feel bad for
Sajani, but I understand the lack of trust given her history of fuckery with Black Cat's sabotage.

Somehow, I keep forgetting to buy Superman every other month :/

Superman #45: Can we somehow finagle Mythbrawl Supes an ongoing? Maybe a digital sorta deal? Because that was FANTASTIC. I'd totally buy the Ongoing Adventures of Superman: Professional Wrestler, no lie. And the Mythbrawl concept is a really fun one to boot.

Superman #46 highlights my primary issue with this run: Hordr_Root just isn't an interesting villain. He's not. Everything else is amazing, but the central plot point they keep circling back to is weak. Action kind of has this problem as well, a fascinating story about this depowered Superman that keeps moving back to a more stereotypical "beat up some big bad guy" tale. Still, I'll readily admit that it's not a bad end to the arc.

But seriously tho, Superman: Professional God Wrestler needs to be a thing.

Cyborg #6 was okay, but it's just not holding my interest. Gonna be dropping this one unless future issues start producing really great impressions.

Top Bottom