• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

Zombine

Banned
I needed more Ghost Rider 2099 in my life, so I commissioned a picture from Riley Rossmo because he's good people.

Fuck yes. Good shit. I'm probably off to start Comic Art GAF for pages/commissions/dailies/sketches from people's favorite artists. Just picked up 3 pages today.

what's the final verdict on Chrononauts and Starlight? If i didn't like Kick Ass 2, Secret Service, Jupiter's Circle, or the other book i don't remember, will i like either of these?
Chrononauts is actually fun and fairly light hearted.it avoids the trade mark Millar edge he was throwing out. Plus it's got Murphy art so that alone is worth it as he goes nuts with all the time travel mixups

How many of ya'll even bothered to help that dude who was looking for recs for a 12 year old? Listen, I think Rat Queens is trash, but we used to have a way about going about shit that wasn't like the old Comic Book Resources board. Lotta snarky weird shit in here.

Lots of people responded to that dude. You seem like a nice guy, Zombine, but just dropping in just to tell us we suck kinda stinks. Be the change or w/e.

That's the nature of forums. Nobody is immortal, everyone is easily replaced. Nobody is losing sleep when a regular moves on.

This is true. But I do miss some of people who used to post a lot. GH, for example. Even with all the defender of DC stuff, I enjoyed the dude.

I just don't believe there isn't a reason why all these formerly top of the posting list suddenly stopped posting over the course of a couple of months. In some of the cases I know there is a reason .

And I guess you are implying negative, "shit-posting" is the reason for this?

I needed more Ghost Rider 2099 in my life, so I commissioned a picture from Riley Rossmo because he's good people.

Have you read Rossmo's Drumheller series? I really liked that book. Has such a cool vibe to it.

Messi

Fuck yes. Good shit. I'm probably off to start Comic Art GAF for pages/commissions/dailies/sketches from people's favorite artists. Just picked up 3 pages today.

I got 2 Bachalos yesterday, a Lupacchino sketch on the way and 3 Loki pages from Lee Garbett shipping post Christmas. I'd be down for original art gaf

Zombine

Banned
Lots of people responded to that dude. You seem like a nice guy, Zombine, but just dropping in just to tell us we suck kinda stinks. Be the change or w/e.

This is true. But I do miss some of people who used to post a lot. GH, for example. Even with all the defender of DC stuff, I enjoyed the dude.

Nah I know what you mean...I stopped by to be happy about new comics day and I saw that shit and I was like "wat..." Idk guys, I just wish we could get on track and really show people how badass this hobby is, and not chase them away with cynicism and snarky shit.

How bout that Manifest Destiny that nobody is reading but Fellows and myself. Love it.

Edit:

And for the record, not defending Rat Queens. What a mess 🌝

tim1138

How many of ya'll even bothered to help that dude who was looking for recs for a 12 year old? Listen, I think Rat Queens is trash, but we used to have a way about going about shit that wasn't like the old Comic Book Resources board. Lotta snarky weird shit in here.

Not only did I make a recommendation, but that's what he ended up going with. But we all know I have impeccable taste. :D

Anyone read Island? It's in the image sale and looks interesting but even half off that's a health chunk just to try out a book.

I have the first four issues, it's the only comic I actually make an effort to buy in print. It's a very nice anthology series curated by Brandon Graham and Emma Rios, some of the stories are one and done, some cover multiple issues. The only other poster here I know that was reading it was Filthy Slug, and since we're basically the same person, he was really loving it as well.

Not only did I make a recommendation, but that's what he ended up going with. But we all know I have impeccable taste. :D

I have the first four issues, it's the only comic I actually make an effort to buy in print. It's a very nice anthology series curated by Brandon Graham and Emma Rios, some of the stories are one and done, some cover multiple issues. The only other poster here I know that was reading it was Filthy Slug, and since we're basically the same person, he was really loving it as well.

Yes. Tim has awesome taste. Cool I'll check out Island. Thanks!

I collect it in print, too.

Brandon Graham is awesome. #Positivity!

Hey JRJR I'm gonna need a breakdown of the logistics behind this cover

SM-Cv47-ds-a5fc4.jpg

One thing I wonder about with image books is how series just fade away. Since it's not the big two I never hear why they go away. I guess it's usually sales, or maybe the creators want to do something else. Or you think it's done and then 6 months later or so a new story arc appears. And when they do go away you don't have an easy foil like dido to blame for it.

Messi

One thing I wonder about with image books is how series just fade away. Since it's not the big two I never hear why they go away. I guess it's usually sales, or maybe the creators want to do something else. Or you think it's done and then 6 months later or so a new story arc appears. And when they do go away you don't have an easy foil like dido to blame for it.

Cc rocket girl. I thought it was over .

Cc rocket girl. I thought it was over .
Hah yea. That rose from the ashes out of the blue. Image is the Wild Wild West.

Oh and Tim I bought more Manhattan Project!

Also I won't list everything I've picked up. Thankfully I've kept up with most image series in previous sales. But a couple notable trades. Got Sunstone vol 3 and Sexcastle. Which has been on my wishlist for a while

Riptwo

Have you read Rossmo's Drumheller series? I really liked that book. Has such a cool vibe to it.
I bought the whole run, but I think I'm only three issues in because of my Backlog of Horrors. You've inspired me to sort through my comic box over the holidays to actually find every issue and read the whole thing from the beginning!

I bought the whole run, but I think I'm only three issues in because of my Backlog of Horrors. You've inspired me to sort through my comic box over the holidays to actually find every issue and read the whole thing from the beginning!

Good call. I don't actually think I finished it myself. Got 5 or so issues in, maybe, then fell off comics. I should finish it, too. Gets more engrossing as you go.

#Positivity!

Owzers

Got Sunstone vol 1 and a non-lewd book Plutona #1 from the sale.

Buying lewd books two days away from Christmas, seems inappropriate.

Finished my deep dive image browse/buy. So I'm now pretty much done unless I see a recommendation that I can't pass up on. Some hidden surprises. I forgot I hadn't gotten Noble causes digital. A fun guilty pleasure book. Not great but enjoyable. Picked up the Sam and twitch Bendis series. I remember hearing good stuff and this was as Bendis was breaking into the biz but hadn't tried it out. Cool artists on board too. I also remembered Death Vigil is an image book so I finished out that series

Boogiepop

Okay, so here's a random comic book-y question: what good/well regarded Superman stuff is there that ISN'T elseworlds? Seems like all the best stuff is out of normal continuity. Also, is Lex Luthor: Man of Steel an elseworlds or no (I was also debating Justice with a friend, but it looks like Wikipedia confirms I was right and it is)? Death of Superman is the big thing that came to mind off the top of my head.

Okay, so here's a random comic book-y question: what good/well regarded Superman stuff is there that ISN'T elseworlds? Seems like all the best stuff is out of normal continuity. Also, is Lex Luthor: Man of Steel an elseworlds or no (I was also debating Justice with a friend, but it looks like Wikipedia confirms I was right and it is)? Death of Superman is the big thing that came to mind off the top of my head.

Well his best stuff is stand alone or else world. Or origin story tales Like Secret Origin, Birthright, for all seasons, etc.

Usually what comes to mind for me are stand alone issues. Like Joe Kelly's Action Comics 775. A great comic during the height of the Authorities popularity of why Superman doesn't kill.

Other books of note. I liked Up Up and Away. The first story arc after the One year later jump.
Also Johns brainiac story is fantastic.

Hmm. I heard praise for emperor joker but haven't read it yet. Same with For tomorrow.

Owzers

Buy Vol 2 and 3 trust me

I''m going to get through some of it today during tepid nba games or wrasslin' and go from there. I'm not expecting to like it but i'm hoping i like it. In the intro when she's trying to write the story and talks about there being no real plot, villains, or twists, my first thought were " i wish it had a plot, villains, and a twist". I tend to not read too many personal stories or watch drama movies.

My wife and I exchange Christmas gifts on the 23rd, so as part of my gift this year I got a Ryan Browne page from Manhattan Projects and they threw in a GHA print for free (I love that the GHA print is a spoof on the Youngblood #1 cover)!

Sweet. Man, those GHA designs! Can you tell me about that series?

Messi

I''m going to get through some of it today during tepid nba games or wrasslin' and go from there. I'm not expecting to like it but i'm hoping i like it. In the intro when she's trying to write the story and talks about there being no real plot, villains, or twists, my first thought were " i wish it had a plot, villains, and a twist". I tend to not read too many personal stories or watch drama movies.

It has twists and people are villainous at times

Boogiepop

Well his best stuff is stand alone or else world. Or origin story tales Like Secret Origin, Birthright, for all seasons, etc.

Usually what comes to mind for me are stand alone issues. Like Joe Kelly's Action Comics 775. A great comic during the height of the Authorities popularity of why Superman doesn't kill.

Other books of note. I liked Up Up and Away. The first story arc after the One year later jump.
Also Johns brainiac story is fantastic.

Hmm. I heard praise for emperor joker but haven't read it yet. Same with For tomorrow.

Awesome, thanks for the detailed response!

This place is negative as fuck.

Then let me be the bringer of joy!

In that I finally finished Remender's Uncanny Avengers Omnibus and it was super good!
It felt like a big epic that didn't need to stretch across the whole company while still having huge stakes. In that sense it sorta felt like DC's current JL arc, Darkseid War.

However...(Don't think I need to tag this but I will anyway in case someone stumbles in)
but apart from stealing Xavier's brain it felt like Red Skull's appearances in Uncanny Avengers were purely to set up AvX SIXAXIS rather than be part of the main story which felt like the Kang/Apocalypse Twins/Celestials stuff.

Twas glorious anyway.

TheFlow

Banned
Chew
Sunstone
I Kill Giants

That's my image list. Please feel free to kick me suggestions. I don't need money.
saga
Deadly class
east by west-4 horsemen done right
stray bullets-the most addicting thing I have ever read. I believed I started with the first 5 issues and ended up reading 40+plus issues.
low
black science
chew
invincible
walking dead
sex criminals
pretty deadly

the bold are the best ones, but I think you should give stray bullets a try. It is my top 5 for image comics. P.s I consider Walking dead, invincible, and chew as the powerhouses of image and need no word of mouth.

Zombine

Banned
My wife and I exchange Christmas gifts on the 23rd, so as part of my gift this year I got a Ryan Browne page from Manhattan Projects and they threw in a GHA print for free (I love that the GHA print is a spoof on the Youngblood #1 cover)!

Fantastic!!!!

I can vouch for how classy Cadence is (assuming your wife got that from Browne's dealer).

Then let me be the bringer of joy!

In that I finally finished Remender's Uncanny Avengers Omnibus and it was super good!

Omg yes. Cassaday's art is pretty legit.

Image seem to have a crazy range of amazing comics, are they still considered an 'indie' (were they ever?) as it seems strange to think of them like that.

Top Bottom