• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

Zombine

Banned
I'm normally kind of down on IDW Judge Dredd because it's basically TVP and the real progs are like fillet mignon, but I really dig what they're doing with this new arc.

tim1138

Sweet. Man, those GHA designs! Can you tell me about that series?

Ah, you must not have been around for my monthly proselytizing of GHA.

God Hates Astronauts is about the most ridiculous comic I've ever read. The loose premise is that NASA creates and funds a super team (the Power Persons Five) to fight crime and prevent farmers from going into space. I think that's an actual plot point for like two issues if that. It's really about the most dysfunctional, egotistical group of super people ever and they inhabit a world full of talking animals and animal headed people (fun fact, GHA and Blast Furnace share a universe) doing awful and ridiculous things. It's chock full of 80s and 90s pop culture references and is extremely crude, hilarious, and has the best sound effects in comics.
You can read the first volume for free online at www.godhatesastronauts.com

depends on what you are talking about but so far it seems no matter what you like in this thread someone is bound to hate it and others are bound to like it. Just ignore the haters lol
would you say that you need to

*go with the flow?*

hehe
That's the nature of forums. Nobody is immortal, everyone is easily replaced. Nobody is losing sleep when a regular moves on.

I used to post here all the time a year or so ago. I stopped hitting it up as often when it morphed into waifu/figure GAF. Aside from an inflammatory Quitely statement or two, nobody misses me. I'll live.
yup. people come and go. you could have listed out a number of posters that were no longer posting when everyone in Messis list was active and said the exact thing.

thats not to say the community doesnt go through phases for better or worse.

you were classmates with felipe smith in argentina right? i feel like i havent heard about his work since ghost rider

Image seem to have a crazy range of amazing comics, are they still considered an 'indie' (were they ever?) as it seems strange to think of them like that.

I prefer to call comics that are not published by DC or Marvel; non-corporate comics. Either way, grouping IDW, Dark Horse, and Image in with tiny publishers like Devil's Due and Black Mask or self publishers like Terry Moore, just seems weird.

yup. people come and go. you could have listed out a number of posters that were no longer posting when everyone in Messis list was active and said the exact thing.

thats not to say the community doesnt go through phases for better or worse.

you were classmates with felipe smith in argentina right? i feel like i havent heard about his work since ghost rider

Weird part is he was known as an artist, not a writer. I supported him by purchasing every freaking Ghost Car Rider book even though they were no bueno. Some of the characterization swerve cringe worthy.

I was happy he got a break, no clue what he's up to now. Back to manga, perhaps.

Mindwipe

So i'm 30 pages into Sunstone and this is a relationshipy bondagey comic? Could have used a warning.

Too obvious :)

I didn't go too crazy on the Image sale - I suspect CMX will have another sale on Invincible at some point, and Low/Roche Limit vol 2 weren't eligible yet.

A few issues of series I was a little backlogged on (WivDiv, Fade Out), the Material trade and Prophet Volume 4. And I took a punt on Sex despite everyone's warnings not too.

Ah, you must not have been around for my monthly proselytizing of GHA.

God Hates Astronauts is about the most ridiculous comic I've ever read. The loose premise is that NASA creates and funds a super team (the Power Persons Five) to fight crime and prevent farmers from going into space. I think that's an actual plot point for like two issues if that. It's really about the most dysfunctional, egotistical group of super people ever and they inhabit a world full of talking animals and animal headed people (fun fact, GHA and Blast Furnace share a universe) doing awful and ridiculous things. It's chock full of 80s and 90s pop culture references and is extremely crude, hilarious, and has the best sound effects in comics.
You can read the first volume for free online at www.godhatesastronauts.com

And then you can get your God Hates Astronauts art print by Tradd Moore right here.

GodHatesAstronauts_TraddMoore.jpg

tim1138

Hah yea. That rose from the ashes out of the blue. Image is the Wild Wild West.

Oh and Tim I bought more Manhattan Project!

Also I won't list everything I've picked up. Thankfully I've kept up with most image series in previous sales. But a couple notable trades. Got Sunstone vol 3 and Sexcastle. Which has been on my wishlist for a while

Excellent, do you have the entire first series yet? The handful of issues of Sun Beyond the Stars that have come out have been great, but it'snot shipping on anything close to a regular schedule sadly.

Fantastic!!!!

I can vouch for how classy Cadence is (assuming your wife got that from Browne's dealer).

She did get them from Cadence. She said they were super nice and easy to work with.

Excellent, do you have the entire first series yet? The handful of issues of Sun Beyond the Stars that have come out have been great, but it'snot shipping on anything close to a regular schedule sadly.
Yea I had those already. So it was picking up the latest issues in the new series.

Some (obvious) image recommends
--------
Saga -mstill my favorite ongoing
Low - beautiful art, brutal world, tense reading. Love it
Velvet - really good spy book
Lazarus - Ruxka doing a cool "future isn't doing so good" sci-fi book with a sprinkle of family house politics
Fatale - Brubaker doing a horror book of sorts
Wyches - Snyder and Jocks horror book with a real personable angle to it.

Mindwipe

Oh, Marvel sent me another promo code for MU this morning, which replaces "Force" I assume.

It's COMICS16.

Says you also get 6 issues from ANAD added to your permanent library (and presumably over to CMX) as well as an extra freebie.

frye

the definition of "indie" has firmly shifted into something like "not superheroes," which is kinda whatever but that just means that what people used to call indie is now "self-published" or "small-press" or whatever fanta/d&q/top shelf are

~anyways~i think if you're generally working in a mode where you're doing serialized, monthly comics with the intention of selling them in comic book stores primarily then you're working in the "mainstream." you're sharing the same (physical) shelf space and competing for the same people more or less

I was waiting Deadly Class all month (and the last two), and it didn't disappoint. It picks up right after the cliffhanger, takes off and never stops. And this is just part one of the new arc.

IGN 10/10

the definition of "indie" has firmly shifted into something like "not superheroes," which is kinda whatever but that just means that what people used to call indie is now "self-published" or "small-press" or whatever fanta/d&q/top shelf are

~anyways~i think if you're generally working in a mode where you're doing serialized, monthly comics with the intention of selling them in comic book stores primarily then you're working in the "mainstream." you're sharing the same (physical) shelf space and competing for the same people more or less
Not sure if I'd go that far. My divide is whether the creators own the rights of the book or not. Not the genre the book is telling

frye

Can we talk about this post

deffo more fun than the boring recurring slapfights itt tbqh

Not sure if I'd go that far. My divide is whether the creators own the rights of the book or not. Not the genre the book is telling

regardless of personal demarcations of indie and mainstream, the comics discourse has definitely moved in the direction that anything that isn't a big two superhero is indie

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That 10 bullets line in the new Deadpool TV spot is pretty good, wonder if it's in the movie (because in previous trailers the dialogue was different)

The current creator owned Image movement marks the most consistently good time period in comics since I started reading them in the late 80s. They have so many quality books dropping every month, it's an embarrassment of riches. DRM free downloads? My wallet hurts.

I even like Rat Queens, you heartless bastards! I'm not sure I could handle Sunstone, though...

Owzers

The current creator owned Image movement marks the most consistently good time period in comics since I started reading them in the late 80s. They have so many quality books dropping every month, it's an embarrassment of riches. DRM free downloads? My wallet hurts.

I even like Rat Queens, you heartless bastards! I'm not sure I could handle Sunstone, though...

you don't need to handle Sunstone, you just buy the book and let it take control.

Yea I had those already. So it was picking up the latest issues in the new series.

Some (obvious) image recommends
--------
Saga -mstill my favorite ongoing
Low - beautiful art, brutal world, tense reading. Love it
Velvet - really good spy book
Lazarus - Ruxka doing a cool "future isn't doing so good" sci-fi book with a sprinkle of family house politics
Fatale - Brubaker doing a horror book of sorts
Wyches - Snyder and Jocks horror book with a real personable angle to it.

Good recs! Thought I'd also throw out some more obscure recs, since the sale applies to OGNs.

Sexcastle - hilarious homage to 80's action movies

Virgil - written by Steve Orlando who is killing it right now on Midnighter. This is about a gay cop in Jamaica getting some revenge.

Henshin - anthology of comics from the artist of I Kill Giants

Popgun - Anthology series, it's very hit or miss, but love the breadth of artist featured

That's Because You're a Robot - bizzare kitch scifi cop comedy from one of the writers from HBO's Veep

Sunstone - an STI you can read

Good recs! Thought I'd also throw out some more obscure recs, since the sale applies to OGNs.

Sexcastle - hilarious homage to 80's action movies

Virgil - written by Steve Orlando who is killing it right now on Midnighter. This is about a gay cop in Jamaica getting some revenge.

Henshin - anthology of comics from the artist of I Kill Giants

Popgun - Anthology series, it's very hit or miss, but love the breadth of artist featured

That's Because You're a Robot - bizzare kitch scifi cop comedy from one of the writers from HBO's Veep

Sunstone - an STI you can read

Oh yeah I really enjoyed Henshin. Would also recommend it.

Yoooo!

I just discovered on PSN that the Batman Arkham Knight released 23 free avatars. I FINALLY get a batman avatar on PSN. They have all the rogues and friends too. Joker, Batgirl, Oracle, Catwoman, Ivy, Harley, Dick, etc.

Messi

Yoooo!

I just discovered on PSN that the Batman Arkham Knight released 23 free avatars. I FINALLY get a batman avatar on PSN. They have all the rogues and friends too. Joker, Batgirl, Oracle, Catwoman, Ivy, Harley, Dick, etc.

I have Catwoman as mine they didnt have ivy or harley when I was checking. They must have added more. nice.

Top Bottom