• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

PsychBat!

Banned
You know me so well.

bob6.gif

I'm still confused as to why Colossus is in the Deadpool movie. Do him and Wade have much of a history? Otherwise my assumption is because they needed a recognizable straight man and since establishing Cable in the same movie would be rough...

Foofaraw

I'm still confused as to why Colossus is in the Deadpool movie. Do him and Wade have much of a history? Otherwise my assumption is because they needed a recognizable straight man and since establishing Cable in the same movie would be rough...
I'm ok with Colossus being a major villain for the movie. I just want more Colossus. And Ice-man.

But mostly,
JlX8zxX.png

The Enchanter

Neo Member
I'm taking advantage of the Image sale to catch up on some Bitch Planet. Its one of those titles I've been curious about, and the #1 was promising.

Also bought Phonogram #1.

Sadist

It's the token X-Man, so non-comic folks have some idea that Deadpool belongs to the same universe.

The real question is, why are they using Negasonic Teenage Warhead? She's pretty obscure.

Foofaraw

In keeping with my very behind schedule of seeing things, likely influenced by years of netflix waiting for thing, I just saw the trailer to Legends of Tomorrow. I'm so happy that TV is this dumb. Dr. Who/C-tier Leaguers. Really, though, if they are going to have Flash be different for the movies, just let the TV verse have cameos with Batman and Supes. You already have J'onn on Supergirl. Also, J'onn is on TV soon! What! I need to get on this Supergirl show at some point.

Current IST list

Saga Vol. 5Sunstone Vol 2
Monster Vol. 2 by Naoki Urasawa
Flash Vol 1 by Geoff Johns
Robin Vol 1 by Chuck Dixon
Nightwing Vol 1 by Chuck Dixon

Sell/unsell me on Birds of Prey. I know very little about them, besides that Huntress is the worst part of the Arrow TV show. Also, are there any other really must read 90 comics that I should be checking out? I feel like everyone shies away from that whole decade when talking about great things.

Peter David Supergirl, Mark Waid Flash, and Dixon Nightwing are some good 90s books.

TheFlow

Banned
My haul though I plan to pick up some more

Paper girls 1-3
Sex Criminals 11-13
Stray Bullets: Sunshine & Roses 2-10
Low 1-10
East of West 18-22
Black Science 12-18
Pretty Deadly 6-7
Tokyo Ghost 1-4
Outcast 1

If I like Descender and Outcast I will buy the rest

tim1138

Messi

My haul though I plan to pick up some more

Paper girls 1-3
Sex Criminals 11-13
Stray Bullets: Sunshine & Roses 2-10
Low 1-10
East of West 18-22
Black Science 12-18
Pretty Deadly 6-7
Tokyo Ghost 1-4
Outcast 1

If I like Descender and Outcast I will buy the rest

Great books. I really hope you enjoy low. It's fantastic.

tim1138

Everyone looking for Image book recommendations for the current sale should check out The Manhattan Projects and God Hates Astronauts

Everyone looking for Image book recommendations for the current sale should check out The Manhattan Projects and God Hates Astronauts

Is MP getting another hardcover soon? I wanna get into that book. It was too much to keep up with monthly. All that science stuff is hard to follow with a 30-day gap between issues.

Boogiepop

So, I hit volume 7 of BPRD: Hell on Earth last night. Not surprised to see that
shoving Varvara into a jar
is indeed causing some serious issues finally, as one would expect. Also, I'm really glad I did decide to follow a reading order on the Mignolaverse stuff. Like, it's not "essential", but it helps keep some nice continuity between the titles. For example, the order had me read Hellboy in Hell right before this, because the whole
revolt in hell
thing got slightly referenced in this volume of BPRD.

mreddie

Well Hellcat is one of my least liked books out of ANAD Marvel so far. Its basically a bad version of Squirrel Girl.

I thought it was cute, kinda jarring that this is the same Hellcat who went to Hell for the time being.

Why She Hulk fired her makes no sense unless it's building up to A-Force?

CXABl74WwAAVOtU.jpg:large

Scarlet Witch #1 was nothing special.

And that art was absolutely horrendous.

I agree with this. It was basically a worse Doctor Strange in every way. Uglier, less creative world, less funny, and nowhere near as imaginative.

It has been surprisingly easy to trim down some of the ANAD books from my list. I've already dropped 2/3 of them, with some others close. Of course, I'm still reading 15 different titles so well played, Marvel.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I agree with this. It was basically a worse Doctor Strange in every way. Uglier, less creative world, less funny, and nowhere near as imaginative.

It has been surprisingly easy to trim down some of the ANAD books from my list. I've already dropped 2/3 of them, with some others close. Of course, I'm still reading 15 different titles so well played, Marvel.
Perfect way to describe it tbh. I won't be picking up issue 2. Dr. Strange will do. Been a fun little book too imo

I really liked Hellcat. The art was really charming and it overall felt like a mix between Squirrel Girl and Howard. But with less super heroics then either, which I dugged.

Speaking of books that felt like mixtures, Starbrand and Nightmask felt like a mix between Squirrel Girl (again) and Ms.Marvel, but not anywhere near as good as either, and with art that felt like it came from a mid 2000's web Comic. It has an interesting angle with the slice of life comedy mixed in with some Avengers/Cosmic level super heroics, but based on the first issue it just didn't meet them.

What's everyone's opinion on the new Venom book? I was really excited for it at first, with Robbie Thompson writing it ( I liked his work on Silk). The art is really awesome in a very different way, but I think the style kind of lends to it overall feeling very static. The first two issues have felt OK, but outside of some darker jokes from his new sucidal robot pal I don't find myself looking forward to much from it. It's certainly on the chopping block.

Perfect way to describe it tbh. I won't be picking up issue 2. Dr. Strange will do. Been a fun little book too imo

Yeah, Strange is top of my list. I thought I'd love it going in and it hasn't disappointed. The real surprises to me are Vision (hate the character), Thor (I skipped the previous Foster books), and Uncanny Inhumans. I love all three books.

I also like Karnak (RIP, Warren Ellis), Ms. Marvel, Angela, Captain America, and Daredevil.

Biggest let downs are all the team Avengers books. Uncanny Avengers is trash. ANAD Avengers is going nowhere. New Avengers has one character I even like and a bunch of lane filler characters. How did Marvel jack up the Avengers on a relaunch?

It's wild that Ramos' art alone makes Extraordinary X-Men a better book than all the Avengers titles combined. I'm reading an X-Men title not named Uncanny X-Force in 2015 and enjoying it for its insanity.

tim1138

Is MP getting another hardcover soon? I wanna get into that book. It was too much to keep up with monthly. All that science stuff is hard to follow with a 30-day gap between issues.

Yep, the second hardcover (which I'm guessing will cover the rest of the original series) drops in February.

Top Bottom