• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

Sandfox

Man Deodato's art in Dark Avengers is fantastic stuff. .. let me guess, he only lasts 4 issues >_>

Why does his Norman looks exactly like Tommy Lee Jones tho :p

Edit: also fuck you guys, I'm really into Sentry in Dark Avengers. Or at least the idea of this unstable godlike dude that they can't really control and might snap at any minute. Man this is a fun book, what happened to Bendis?

No...really.

Bendis is only good on certain kinds of books and even then he's probably getting stretched a bit thin now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Bendis is only good on certain kinds of books.

But this is a team book, which is supposed to be his weakness. But it's witty, it's snappy, it's...fun. All the things that Guardians isn't for example.

That Gravity guy reminds me, what's the last time Marvel successfully made a new male character that wasn't forgotten 5 minutes later?

They seem to do well with females (X-23, Silk, Spider Gwen, Angela) but I can't remember the last time a male character was introduced (that mattered / stuck around)

Miles?

The larger problem you've hit on is only new Spider characters stick around, and it's a crowded field. I give DC shit for their umpteen monthly Bat titles, but Marvel has done the same thing.

How many freaking people do we need rocking spider powers? How many radioactive spiders are there in the world?

Sandfox

But this is a team book, which is supposed to be his weakness. But it's witty, it's snappy, it's...fun. All the things that Guardians isn't for example.

Bendis is better at stuff closer to street level and it was probably easier for him to write a story with this group than the Guardians for various reasons.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The larger problem you've hit on is only new Spider characters stick around, and it's a crowded field. I give DC shit for their umpteen monthly Bat titles, but Marvel has done the same thing.

How many freaking people do we need rocking spider powers? How many radioactive spiders are there in the world?

Not that many since Silk was bitten by the same one as Peter lol. But you're right, I actually didn't even notice when I said it

What?

Who speaks this maddness.

I smiled so hard when ha showed up because people complained about Marvel Villains. I bet they will shine next to Doomsday. He is just a plot device that can quickly get old.
That thread that people complained about because it was an interview about how "Doomsday isn't the final act" and it ended up being bunk, but because the OP posted the article title in the thread title, people complained about spoilers.

Thread was full of complaints about "how dare they waste Doomsday like this!"

Thread's locked now, but I laughed

Well really when you stop and think about it, there's plenty of plutonium, uranium et al, and there's SO MANY SPIDERS, THEY'RE EVERYWHERE so really the question is why aren't there more Spider-people.

Sandfox

Well really when you stop and think about it, there's plenty of plutonium, uranium et al, and there's SO MANY SPIDERS, THEY'RE EVERYWHERE so really the question is why aren't there more Spider-people.

I blame Spider-Island and Spider-Verse.

I think Marvel is/was trying to create their own version of the Bat family.

I blame Spider-Island and Spider-Verse.

I think Marvel is/was trying to create their own version of the Bat family.
usaeu.gif

Red Means Spidermen.

Not that many since Silk was bitten by the same one as Peter lol. But you're right, I actually didn't even notice when I said it

I have spent time contemplating this
since I make good use of my free time.
Spider characters are the only thing that stick, and we're beyond saturation point. And I say this as someone who likes Peter and Silk. I can tolerate Miles in small doses. The rest range from redundant to terrible. Spider-Woman has been around for a minute and she still sucks. Gwen is an awesome costume design waiting for a proper character to fill it. Kaine and O'Hara can go to hell.

Tell us who you really are!

Sandfox

I have spent time contemplating this
since I make good use of my free time.
Spider characters are the only thing that stick, and we're beyond saturation point. And I say this as someone who likes Peter and Silk. I can tolerate Miles in small doses. The rest range from redundant to terrible. Spider-Woman has been around for a minute and she still sucks. Gwen is an awesome costume design waiting for a proper character to fill it. Kaine and O'Hara can go to hell.

Tell us who you really are!

Those are two of the best Spiders though.

Rhaknar

Kaine is awesome, you take that back Tragic!

I'll cut you damn it, I'm sure I can find something that isn't a butter knife around here

Busaiku

I think the current Spider line is doing good stuff, covering various aspects that people like about previous Peter stuff, while doing new stuff with Peter.

You want your broke media person? Silk does that (though she's pure evil I guess, so maybe it doesn't count).
You want the tragic figure? Spider-Gwen does that.
You want the school life and super hero stuff? Spider-Man'll do that.
You want school stuff but with Peter? Spidey does that.

Rhaknar

I think the current Spider line is doing good stuff, covering various aspects that people like about previous Peter stuff, while doing new stuff with Peter.

You want your broke media person? Silk does that (though she's pure evil I guess, so maybe it doesn't count).
You want the tragic figure? Spider-Gwen does that.
You want the school life and super hero stuff? Spider-Man'll do that.
You want school stuff but with Peter? Spidey does that.

Where's my dark asshole spiderman tho? Where's my Kaine?

;_;

VanWinkle

Merry Christmas everyone. I'm sitting here looking at the presents I got for my wife and the stuff she got for me. I'm PRETTY sure I can make out at least two or three graphic novels. But I must not think about it.

Also currently watching and enjoying 30 Rock. Probably the fourth or fifth time I've rewatched the series and its just still as funny.

I just got back from my parents house where we watched the movie The Family Man with Nic Cage. Very good movie but also a bit sad. Oh well. I need to go to bed and wake up and have an eventful Christmas day.

Have a great day, friends.

Rhaknar

There's still nothing announced that could have Citizen V in it right? Remember when he was in the ANAD banners months ago?

Reckon they had a new Thunderbolts revival planned and it just didn't happen internally?

I'm probably going to be buys most/all day tomorrow (well, today, now), so I'm going to take the opportunity to say Merry Christmas to all you filthy animals!

Sandfox

There's still nothing announced that could have Citizen V in it right? Remember when he was in the ANAD banners months ago?

Reckon they had a new Thunderbolts revival planned and it just didn't happen internally?

Books are still being announced and Death's Head was teased as well.

Reading X-Men: Battle of the Atom...

Eh, it's decent. An event dedicated to an argument that I figured was over during the first couple arcs of ANXM and UXM.

Still, it's whatever. Very few decent action sequences. It has a lot of cool stuff in it, but the constant arguing over something that clearly has a singular objective correct answer is ludicrous. Especially considering that, knowing where the end of the run goes, the O5 do jack shit. Literally nothing they do really matters. I mean, we got some cool story stuff with them (Trial of Jean Grey, Cyclops, etc.), but for the most part they didn't mean or do anything. The biggest, most impactful thing after this that dealt with them (Scott trying to recruit the Omega mutant) was solved by Eva Bell.

So what the fuck did they even do that was even remotely worthwhile? I mean, I enjoyed them, but they have such little impact...I haven't finished BotA, but considering I've already finished ANXM and UXM, I already know where this goes.

Also, goddamn Young Jean is a goddamned psychic Mary Sue. Such bullshit.

Rhaknar

Was Ellis's Thunderbolts before or after Dark Avengers? I remember it both feeling very similar to this (probably why I'm enjoying DA so much) and having half of the same team

Was Ellis's Thunderbolts before or after Dark Avengers? I remember it both feeling very similar to this (probably why I'm enjoying DA so much) and having half of the same team

Before, I think, because if I recall that team was established by Tony when he was Director of SHIELD.

Rhaknar

In that case it's weird it's not mentioned. I see Bendis's penchant to ignore other writers canon is not a recent thing >_>

Also legit thank you for keeping me company during these graveyard shifts this year. I honestly get as much out of talking about what I read here after reading as I get from actually reading them. Merry Xmas ComicGAF

Edit: oh cool this Utopia crossover is by Fraction and... Marc Silvestri? Now that's a blast from the (Image) past, wonder if he can still drawn ladies like nobod-

c8d69425ee549ff0b003fb9994895098.jpg

Yup he sure can :p

Also legit thank you for keeping me company during these graveyard shifts this year. I honestly get as much out of talking about what I read here after reading as I get from actually reading them. Merry Xmas ComicGAF

I'll talk about X-Men with you literally any day of the week.

mreddie

Fuck Secret Invasion: Killed off Janet and brought back all of Bendis waifus.
Fuck Dark Reign: Circle jerk of bad guy wins.
Fuck Siege only because Norman was stupid to take down Asgard.

Just read the so hyped Deadpool: Good, Bad, & Ugly arc. It was........alright. Nothing really great about it so I don't get why it gets so much praise. Is it because everything before it was so dogshit it looks god-tier in comparison?

X-Men: Battle of the Atom

Pretty much everything I said before stands. Though the final few action sequences were good, for the most part it was a decent crossover. I suppose a lot has been lost on me since I haven't read the Wolverine and the X-Men or X-Men runs going on at the time. Still, it was decent. I guess my next task is to read those.

Merry Christmas

I enjoyed Star Wars TFA. I'll have to rewatch it on blu ray because there's a lot of information to process (especially when the screen took up my entire field of vision), but I'd say it's somewhere between Return of the Jedi and New Hope for me, with ESB being my favorite movie.

Really wish Disney would release the Blu Rays of Special or Unaltered edition.

Top Bottom