• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

What is a very economical way to get into a good run of X-Men? Big trades would probably work best, but HCs work, too, or a cheap omnibus or something.

I recently realized that, although I've always been a fan of X-Men movies, I have never actually read any X-Men comics.

I'd like it to be a little more modern (last decade or two) if possible.

Cheapest for tons of Xmen would be MU

But if you want the best of the best of the recent Xmen it's pretty easy to get. There's two runs:

1) Morrisons Xmen run that is in 3-4 trades
2) whedons Xmen run (my personal fav) that is collected in 1-2 trades.

That's all you need.

VanWinkle

^The Whedon trades I will probably get. Love Whedon and love Cassaday, and two trades covering the whole run sounds great.

Essential X-Men volumes have all of Claremont's run. Very cheap

Hmm I don't think I could do black and white. It is a very good price for the amount of content, though. I'd just like to get into a more recent run that's still good for beginners in X-Men, collected in trades like Complete Collections or Epic Collections or OHC or whatever. It doesn't have to be INSANELY cheap like the essential editions.

Are any of the Marvel Now X-Men series good? I have the Marvel Now Omnibus that has a few of the first issues I could try out to see if I like the feel of it.

My use of "very economical" was just my way of saying something not out of print or like a $125 omnibus or something.

How bad are we talking without me looking at spoilers? i already have my pre-order in from dcbs.
Morrison snatched Marston's bondage/kink overtones from the Golden Age WW stories off the shelf and ran with them to excess with the aid of Paquette, whose pinup -esque artwork gives a lurid cheesecake feel to every scene. The result appears to be a work for which the message may be undermined by an incredibly sexualized and fetishistic depiction, unless the message is sexual fetish fantasy in which case Morrison has succeeded beyond anyone's wildest expectations.

Basically this is a version of Wonder Woman that hasn't existed in decades, given a voluptuous and ready-to-please makeover, and going by this review there's a good chance that folks ignorant of that are going to hate it.

Messi

Morrison snatched Marston's bondage/kink overtones from the Golden Age WW stories off the shelf and ran with them to excess with the aid of Paquette, whose pinup -esque artwork gives a lurid cheesecake feel to every scene. The result appears to be a work for which the message may be undermined by an incredibly sexualized and fetishistic depiction, unless the message is sexual fetish fantasy in which case Morrison has succeeded beyond anyone's wildest expectations.

Is this the only review so far? I would like to read some more opinions.

PsychBat!

Banned

Going to have to agree with the last statement. Those panels don't inspire confidence that this is anything else but what you just posted.

Mindwipe

Wonder Woman *is* a fetish fantasy. That's the entire reason for her creation.

And this is very tame by those standards.

Basically this is a version of Wonder Woman that hasn't existed in decades, given a voluptuous and ready-to-please makeover, and going by this review there's a good chance that folks ignorant of that are going to hate it.

Is this a summary of the review or is this like your own mini-review?

No. She was. And going back to that after so very long and in today's climate is going to be a mess. Regardless of her origins this is not how anyone thinks of WW now.

Hasn't all of this been previously announced though? I remember hearing all about Morrison going back to those themes a while ago. Didn't Paquette even design one of the ships to look a vagina or something too? I think that was even in a preview.

I really can't say anything beyond this since I am trying to avoid spoilers, so I can't say how it was executed in the book itself.

Kinda sorta. That's not really how Morrison sees it, if Supergods is anything to go by. More... an alternate approach to sexuality and social structure.

It's gonna get weird. Not just kinky, but straight up weird.

Messi

Hasn't all of this been previously announced though? I remember hearing all about Morrison going back to those themes a while ago. Didn't Paquette even design one of the ships to look a vagina or something too? I think that was even in a preview.

I really can't say anything beyond this since I am trying to avoid spoilers, so I can't say how it was executed in the book itself.

This is a BOLD move. lol

Is this a summary of the review or is this like your own mini-review?
I wouldn't even call it a mini-review, just a guess based on my own opinion of the pages presented coupled with the reviewer's apparent shock and disgust. Some examples of Paquette's artwork have that arched back, "goods on display" quality to them that when coupled with the bondage elements Morrison is so excited to bring back make you think of women's prison films and sexploitation. Probably not what a lot of what the mainstream audiences were hoping to see in a high-profile Wonder Woman book.

It's been known to people who followed the book's creation over the years, which presumably doesn't include a large portion of the audience that are going to buy this book.

Mindwipe

In the comments underneath that reviewer actually says "stuff like this doesn't belong in a superhero book."

Why the fuck not? The train is the demonisation of kink sexual minorities as something evil and harmful that must be kept away from the mainstream at all costs, and is why reviews like that are unhelpful crap that wouldn't understand intersectionality if it came with a blaring horn attached.

MG310

I had to go back and see if Yanick was the artist on the Swamp Thing issue that they had to destroy because of an oddly colored/placed/shaped tentacle but it was Marco Rudy.

I had to go back and see if Yanick was the artist on the Swamp Thing issue that they had to destroy because of an oddly colored/placed tentacle but it was Marco Rudy.

Oddly-colored tentacles?

Ad0AN0S.gif

Just wrapped up Hellcat! #1 (punctuation obligatory). It was aight. Very cute book, very deliberately so. Like somebody pitched this as "super cute slice-of-life about Patsy Walker aka Hellcat." Doesn't have the raw charm of something like Lil' Gotham or Ms. Marvel, but it's cute enough I guess. Might keep reading.

frye

I only skimmed over that review but I've always been as suspicious of that book as I have been interested in it, so it's not totally surprising that that's a reaction someone would have. Morrison's history writing women characters has generally been pretty spotty (not that there haven't been good ones but I've always felt that he wasn't very interested in women for the most part) and I never saw a reason that this book would suddenly change that

That said, I'll still pick it up and probably find a lot of interesting things in it, it's almost certainly a book I'll enjoy more than most Wonder Woman comics I've read

Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur #2 was legit charming as fuck. Much better than Hellcat (sorry Messi).

Plus I'm a huge sucker for that "all animals are dogs" trope.

eZRrsa1.jpg

ha ha he's big

See, I'm easy to please.

VanWinkle

Crap. I just noticed my cheap bookcase doesn't really support the weight of my OHC/Omnibus/Library Editions, because the shelf is sagging a lot. I think I might have to take them off there until I figure something out. I would hate if the shelf buckled and the books fell down or something.

What time is it?

It's LIST O CLOCK

The Omega Men #7
Superman: Lois & Clark #3
Superman Annual #3
Justice League #47
Doctor Fate #7
Black Canary #6
Batman Europa #3 (and also #2, forgot about that last month <_<)
Batman & Robin Eternal #13

+any other distributors books that I'm reading and are coming out that I've forgotten about :p

Also I kinda love the hell out of Doctor Fate's cover. Hopefully the book will live up to it :/

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I really enjoy that series.

I was pretty into it from the beginning but then that scene with the lights flickering on and off won me completely, looking forward to the OHC (that was cancelled but then solicited again, yay)

Yeah that whole sequence worked really well with Comixology's guided view..

ElNarez

Banned
So Kill la Kill: Wonder Woman Edition. I can dig it.

You're making it sound terrible, when it could just be "Morrison and Paquette do Sunstone".

I haven't done this in a while, is this how you do lists
BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL #13
BATMAN EUROPA #3
BLACK CANARY #6
DOCTOR FATE #7
JUSTICE LEAGUE #47
OMEGA MEN #7
SUPERMAN ANNUAL #3
BLACK MAGICK #3
EAST OF WEST #23
LAZARUS #21
DEADPOOL AND CABLE SPLIT SECOND #1
HOWARD THE DUCK #3
JAMES BOND #3

So review copies of WW Earth One are out there in the wild and, well, yeah.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1471877493 (CAUTION: review pretty much spoils the entire plot, includes pictures)

Morrison and Paquette made this with... someone in mind, that's for sure. I'm just not sure I want to know who that someone is. DC might, but that's another story.
Review isn't exactly well written but I think I'll go back to not knowing this was a thing.
That review goes way beyond gender critique and into the full on kink shaming that the worst of feminist theory is guilty of. :-(
4Z0Tgc8.gif

Top Bottom