• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

I'm still busy getting to 'know' writers and artists, so I can't really comment on who I like beyond the few I've started to notice - most of which will be 'dated' now. However, the people I've enjoyed reading this year

1. Stan Lee (Spiderman)

Yeah, I know. However, his work on Spiderman is so damn refreshing amidst the crap of Early Marvel. It's strange, as I'm not really enjoying Stan Lee when he's writing other titles, but I'm REALLY enjoying Spiderman. He somehow manages to create and write so many unique characters consistently that it's sort of made all other titles weak in comparisons.

The only Marvel title that comes close from the same time period would be The Avengers written by...

2. Roy Thomas (Avengers)

His work on Avengers is amazing, and the continuity Thomas maintains from issue to issue seems somewhat revolutionary compared to other titles at the time (except perhaps Spiderman). For Thomas to be trusted to write the vast majority of Marvel's key characters, and do a good job of capture each personality is a great skill to have.
The less said about his X-Men run the better though, it's terrible.

3. Robert Kirkman (The Walking Dead)

Kirkman could easily have been number one, but I'd have felt bad for skipping over Stan Lee and Roy Thomas who have done such a good job of hooking me into the Marvel Universe. Kirkman's writing on The Walking Dead is like a smack in the face in comparison to 1960's Marvel. It's harsh and in your face, yet at the same time explores and develops characters in a variety of ways much like Lee and Thomas above. Unlike Marvel Kirkman isn't afraid to kill off characters (which at times is a little disturbing), and throw huge shocks right in your face (often coupled with fantastic artwork on full/double page spreads).

4. Jim Steranko (Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD)

I feel bad that Steranko is so low in hindsight, as his work on Nick Fury was one of the most enjoyable things I read in the early days of Marvel so far. He really gave Fury a defining character, and went as far as he could to even develop 'speech patterns' for him. The stories were never dull, and often had a good deal of fitting humour to them too. Man, he should be higher as I really had a 'thing' for Steranko in the Summer!

5. The various writers of Doctor Strange

I don't know, I just enjoyed this book a lot probably more for the artwork though, however I felt like I needed to have a 5th.

Jem, turtles, and transformers but im behind

What's transformers like to read as a comic, I've only ever watched the original cartoons.

tim1138

Top 5 writers for 2015:

Ryan Browne
Grant Morrison
Geoff Johns
Jeff Parker
Kelly Sue DeConnick

Top 5 artists for 2015:

Ryan Browne
Mike Allred
Babs Tarr
Nick Pitarra
Toby Cypress

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Quiet week this week for me:

BR Eternal 13
Batman Europa 3 of 4
Flash 47
Justice League 47

Ringside 2

All new Wolverine 3
Amazing Spiderman 6
Ant Man 3
Carnage 3
Chewbacca 5 of 5
Obi Wan and Anakin 1 of 5
Spidey 2099 5

Messi

I'm gonna pick 5 artists but this hurts knowing I am forgetting some great artists.

5. Chris Bachalo
4. Erica Henderson
3. Stjepan Sejic
2. Wes Craig
1. Greg Tocchini

This list is too fucking hard to make. I could easily fill a top 20

I think Marvel and DC both kind of let me down this year. DC for Convergence tie-ins I had no interest in, and Marvel for SW tie-ins I had no interest in. I think that played a big part of why I spent so much time reading older stuff this year. Of course, both improved a lot once they got to their relaunches (DCYOU and ANAD), but that doesn't change the fact that there were stretches where I was buying like one book from each pub.

My favorite writers of the year are:
-Ryan North: Squirrel Girl has been wonderful. My favorite new ongoing this year by far.

-John Arcudi: I'm not up to date on BPRD, but I'm sure Hell on Earth is just as amazing as the Plague of Frogs stuff. His work on Rumble has been fantastic too.

-Geoff Johns: When it comes to DC superheroes doing superhero stuff, I think Johns has it down. Both his Superman and Justice League this year have been just awesome. Big punchy fun!

-Tom King: Grayson and Vision are both books that I didn't see myself wanting, but both are great.

-Rick Remender: Deadly Class remains a bright spot on my ongoings each month. I just love this book and you can tell this is the one Remender is putting his emotions into. I really dig Tokyo Ghost so far too.

For ongoing artists:
-Babs Tarr (Batgirl)
-Francis Manapul (Justice League)
-Sean Murphy (Tokyo Ghost)
-Annie Wu (Black Canary)
-Mike Mignola (Hellboy in Hell)

Messi

I think Marvel and DC both kind of let me down this year. DC for Convergence tie-ins I had no interest in, and Marvel for SW tie-ins I had no interest in. I think that played a big part of why I spent so much time reading older stuff this year. Of course, both improved a lot once they got to their relaunches (DCYOU and ANAD), but that doesn't change the fact that there were stretches where I was buying like one book from each pub.

My favorite writers of the year are:
-Ryan North: Squirrel Girl has been wonderful. My favorite new ongoing this year by far.

-John Arcudi: I'm not up to date on BPRD, but I'm sure Hell on Earth is just as amazing as the Plague of Frogs stuff. His work on Rumble has been fantastic too.

-Geoff Johns: When it comes to DC superheroes doing superhero stuff, I think Johns has it down. Both his Superman and Justice League this year have been just awesome. Big punchy fun!

-Tom King: Grayson and Vision are both books that I didn't see myself wanting, but both are great.

-Rick Remender: Deadly Class remains a bright spot on my ongoings each month. I just love this book and you can tell this is the one Remender is putting his emotions into. I really dig Tokyo Ghost so far too.

For ongoing artists:
-Babs Tarr (Batgirl)
-Francis Manapul (Justice League)
-Sean Murphy (Tokyo Ghost)
-Annie Wu (Black Canary)
-Mike Mignola (Hellboy in Hell)

I agree that he is putting emotions into Deadly Class but do you not think the same for Low? That book is dealing with some heavy emotions. A lot of it is how to deal with loss and what loss does to people and what hope can do to people. I know that both Deadly Class have given me varying emotions in the past year. Deadly class (big spoilers)
Death of Maria left me confused, upset and in denial for quite a bit.

Both fantastic books tbh.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
No real order here........

BKV (Paper Girls and Saga)
Hickman (Secret Wars and East of West)
Rick Rememder (Deadly Class and Tokyo Ghost)
Chris Dingness (Manifest Destiny)
Marjorie Liu (Monstress)

VanWinkle

Oh my GOODNESS. Just finished Teen Titans Earth One. I loved it so much. I only wished it was longer.

There's a volume 2 coming out next year, right? I feel like I've heard that.

I'd say my top five writers would be:
5) Kieron Gillen - A lot of people seem to hate it but Vader's been one of my favourite comics this year.
4) Mark Waid - Princess Leia was disappointing but Archie's been fantastic and I've really got into his Daredevil run in 2015.
3) Jonathan Hickman - I marathoned his Avengers/New Avengers run and it's definitely one of the best long running comic stories I've read. That combined with Secret Wars, despite the delays, means he's on my list.
2) Grant Morrison - Kinda cheating but I've read through his Batman run this year and really enjoyed it. His take on Batman is radically different to the other Batman books I've read.
1) Jason Aaron - Star Wars, Thors, Doctor Strange - he's written most of my favourite books this year.

I'm no expert on comic art but my favourites would be:

5) David Marquez (Invincible Iron Man)
4) Chris Bachalo (Doctor Strange)
3) Phil Noto (Chewbacca)
2) Stuart Immonen (Star Wars)
1) Fiona Staples (Archie)

Messi

I'd say my top five writers would be:
5) Kieron Gillen - A lot of people seem to hate it but Vader's been one of my favourite comics this year.
4) Mark Waid - Princess Leia was disappointing but Archie's been fantastic and I've really got into his Daredevil run in 2015.
3) Jonathan Hickman - I marathoned his Avengers/New Avengers run and it's definitely one of the best long running comic stories I've read. That combined with Secret Wars, despite the delays, means he's on my list.
2) Grant Morrison - Kinda cheating but I've read through his Batman run this year and really enjoyed it. His take on Batman is radically different to the other Batman books I've read.
1) Jason Aaron - Star Wars, Thors, Doctor Strange - he's written most of my favourite books this year.

I'm no expert on comic art but my favourites would be:

5) David Marquez (Invincible Iron Man)
4) Chris Bachalo (Doctor Strange)
3) Phil Noto (Chewbacca)
2) Stuart Immonen (Star Wars)
1) Fiona Staples (Archie)

Do you not read Saga?

Your list is great.

Top 5 Writers of 2015

5) Gabriel Hardman - Invisible Republic
4) John Allison - Giant Days
3) Rick Remender - Deadly Class, Tokyo Ghost, Low
2) Brian K. Vaughn - Saga
1) Stjepan Sejic - Sunstone, Death Vigil, Switch

Top 5 Artists of 2015

5) Lissa Treiman - Giant Days
4) Greg Tocchini - Low
3) Chris Bachalo - Doctor Strange, Uncanny X-Men
2) Adrian Alphona - Ms. Marvel
1) Sana Takeda - Monstress (two issues in, but four issues worth of art)

Something about this cover kind of speaks to me. No idea why.

It speaks to your inner furry, obviously.

List of I thought it was meant to be a quiet week.

There are no quiet weeks when you buy everything, Messi. I've got a paltry number of books this week. New issue of Giant Days on the 6th, though!

So are Image like the best publisher around at the moment?

Yes.

Dodson Poison Ivy variant.

The preview for that book actually looks pretty good. I may check it out.

Messi

No, I still haven't got round to it yet. I might finally pick up the HC for my birthday.

Yeah if you like Fiona Staples...man..its amazing and that hardcover is so good.

All the feels in the world...ALL of them.

tumblr_n2trqu9dC21t4aqdio1_1280.png

ElNarez

Banned
Y'all are bad at picking out dudes and gals so I gotta show people how it's done. INTRODUCING YOUR 2015 ALL-STAR LINEUPS.

WRITERS CONFERENCE
- Kieron Gillen, for killing it on Vader, Siege, Uber, WicDiv, Phonogram and some parts of Angela, probably forgetting something, dude had the best year of his career)
- Tom King, because he could've done Grayson and it would've been enough. He could've done Omega Men and it would've been enough. He could've done Vision, and it would've been enough, but then, also, Sheriff of Babylon. Man has just dropped game-changer after game-changer.
- G. Willow Wilson, for taking the hottest new character of 2014 and getting her to be a full-blown straight up main title capital-A Avenger one year later.
- Ales Kot, for taking no shit, and also because he's great at doing comics that are at once extremely personal but always in a bigger picture, involving superhero culture as it relates to American foreign policy and masculinity, the future, society, or the act of writing itself.
- Al Ewing, for putting in the work, diving very deep in the kind of semi-obscure continuity that makes shared universe fiction tick, and building some crazy awesome stuff with it, like the final arc of Mighty Avengers somehow being built around goddamn Nextwave callbacks.

THE BENCH : Nick Spencer, Grant Morrison, Jonathan Hickman, Brian Michael Bendis & Ryan North

ARTISTS CONFERENCE

- Jason Fabok, for going along with Geoff Johns and doing a great big cataclysmic story where shit just pops off left and right in Justice League.
- Jamie McKelvie, for doing next-level shit in Phonogram and WicDiv, with #14 being a highlight in just fucking going there and not looking back.
- Esad Ribic, because, somehow, he makes the delays on Secret Wars worth it.
- ACO, for putting Midnighter on the map with some crazy-ass action layouts.
- Greg Capullo, for holding the fort down on Batman

THE BENCH : Chip Zdarsky, Daniel Acuña, Juan Ferreyra, Mike Allred & Fiona Staples

arkon

TMNT

Wouldn't mind starting up MTMTE but IDW is probably going to have to put them of sale before that happens. That means singles. Not the collection sales they usually do.

Also IDW pisses me off a little by not offering back ups. That is one of Image's big selling points for me.

Depends on the series I think. Pretty sure MTMTE for example offers the DRM-freel backup option (on Comixology at least) but something like TMNT doesn't.

Messi

I almost put him in my top 5 for Uncanny, but there were other writers I liked more. Bendis is always pretty average, honestly.

I put him in my top 5 because I think he did some really great work this year. Ending Uncanny and All New, Guardians has been fun (I do ralize I am the only one who likes this book) and his Iron Man has been one of the legit hits of ANAD. Deserved his place imo.

I put him in my top 5 because I think he did some really great work this year. Ending Uncanny and All New, Guardians has been fun (I do ralize I am the only one who likes this book) and his Iron Man has been one of the legit hits of ANAD. Deserved his place imo.

Uncanny #600 was on-hold for like, six months, tho.

Messi

Uncanny #600 was on-hold for like, six months, tho.

Wasn't his fault apparently

From his tumblr
Any further reaction to Uncanny 600 getting delayed another month? A page reduction, but the same price? Absolutely ridiculous.

first of all, i am not the publisher or the editor. i am the writer. i do not dictate shipping. i wish the book was out last june. thats the truth.

and there is no page reduction on our end. not sure what everyone is talking about. not one word or page has changed. nothing about ice man is causing this, which i see is a big point of conspiracy.

i wish secret wars shipped on time and i wish all the books that i have connected to it shipped on time as well. out of my hands.

old man logan- written and drawn. done.

ultimate end- written and drawn. done.

uncanny x-men 600- written and drawn. done.

spider-man 1- written and drawn

powers 5 at the printed and coming VERY soon.

If his writing is finished as he said then no it isn't his fault. Or is this another case of trying to find a reason to shit on bendis?
Messi plz. Out of all the people who shit on Bendis, I'm never one of them. The worst thing I've ever said about him is that his writing is extremely formulaic, which it undeniably is.

ElNarez

Banned
Soule did a good job with Lando. That's the main reason I'm interested.

Yeah, but Lando is cool and interesting and smooth.

This is Obi-Wan and pre-"Hey I just read Attack on Titan and found out about this cool new way of running things that's called fascism" Anakin. It's before the Clone Wars, there's not even gonna be his super dull crush on Amidala.

Yeah, but Lando is cool and interesting and smooth.

This is Obi-Wan and pre-"Hey I just read Attack on Titan and found out about this cool new way of running things that's called fascism" Anakin. It's before the Clone Wars, there's not even gonna be his super dull crush on Amidala.

I've always liked Ewan's Obi-Wan too. That and Soule are enough to get me interested. I like Checchetto's art as well.

VanWinkle

I think Scott Snyder's Batman is the only thing I've read issues from that were published in 2015. So I guess that's my favorite writer of 2015. I'm not a single-issue reader like 99% of the community here, so...

Messi

I think Scott Snyder's Batman is the only thing I've read issues from that were published in 2015. So I guess that's my favorite writer of 2015. I'm not a single-issue reader like 99% of the community here, so...

We have finally found Kipps alt account.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Do you hate the current arc too?

Top Bottom