• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

VanWinkle

I wonder who the new Guardians writer is going to be. I would like to see Loveness, Slott, Ewing take it over.

Soule has shown he can do a ragteam team of cosmic characters with his brilliant Red Lanterns run. Great mix of humor and seriousness. Based on this, at least, he would be a great fit.

Almost done with Claremont's UXM and turning Psylocke Asian is the weirdest shit. I mean it sort of makes sense from what was written but I have to wonder wtf was going through Claremont's head when he wrote it. Did he just want to diversify the team without adding a new character?

Also man Claremont loves him some women losing their clothing.

VanWinkle

One more [40-page] issue of Crisis on Infinite Earths to go. So good, but SO DENSE. It is taking way too long to read so I'll be very happy to finish it up. Art and writing are both so top notch, though.

After that issue, I will have about 130 pages of bonus content (including History of the DC Universe). That shouldn't take too long, though.

off the top of my head:
America
Captain Marvel
Spider-Gwen
Silk
Black Widow(though this is possibly ending)
All-New Wolverine
Jean Grey
Hulk
Thor
Ms. Marvel
Gamora
Hawkeye
Wasp
Invincible Iron Man
Squirrel Girl

I'm probably missing something.

Gamora and Widow have decent roles in their respective team cartoons, but other than that it's all guest appearances.
Missing Gwenpool. Plus we also just had Mockingbird and Spider-Woman.
New gamora is decent. Keep in mind it is before she meets the guardians. I think it is worth a try
So she's just a crazy death worshipping murder goddess? SICK
But can they make her interesting?
A personality shift wouldn't hurt
Duggan or bust.

I don't want Ewing.
Ewing's dope tho
DC is fucking up by not doing a Great Darkness Saga animated movie.
You're right, because their animated stuff does so well.

Sandfox

She-Hulk #1 is really good imo and actually feels like kinda like an Image title to me. Some may be disappointed with
Jen not transforming this issue
though. I like the art with certain parts standing especially standing out, and some of the details the artist made like
having the mirrors in Jen's house being to high up for her to use in her normal form
were a nice touch.

Missing Gwenpool. Plus we also just had Mockingbird and Spider-Woman.
I don't know how I missed those. Scarlet Witch, Jessica Jones, Hellcat, and Elektra as well. So Marvel is putting out 21 female led solos(though it will obviously shift down), which is a lot more than I thought.

I don't know how I missed those. Scarlet Witch, Jessica Jones, Hellcat, and Elektra as well. So Marvel is putting out 21 female led solos(though it will obviously shift down), which is a lot more than I thought.
I'm actually upset that I missed JJ. One of my single favorite ongoings right now

dan2026

It's funny that the only argument over DC recent movies is 'which is worse?'

Great God's can they not just make a good movie?
It doesn't have to be spectacular, just make a good movie for heavens sake!

shingi70

Banned
It's funny that the only argument over DC recent movies is 'which is worse?'

Great God's can they not just make a good movie?
It doesn't have to be spectacular, just make a good movie for heavens sake!
They made three good movies. Two came out this year in fact.

ElNarez

Banned
it's funny that the only argument over Marvel's recent movies is NOTHING, because no one is thinking about those movies, because no one even remembers those movies, because these movies are boring, and they look boring, and the novelty of them has worn out

it's funny that the only argument over Marvel's recent movies is NOTHING, because no one is thinking about those movies, because no one even remembers those movies, because these movies are boring, and they look boring, and the novelty of them has worn out

I honestly struggled to remember what the last Marvel movie was for a second. I didn't see Civil War until it came out on BD, and it was way more average than people let on.

Sandfox

People get really defensive when it comes to the DC movies. The only time I've seen people get threatened for not liking a movie.

Slayven

Almost done with Claremont's UXM and turning Psylocke Asian is the weirdest shit. I mean it sort of makes sense from what was written but I have to wonder wtf was going through Claremont's head when he wrote it. Did he just want to diversify the team without adding a new character?

I think dude comes close to writing his fetishes

ElNarez

Banned
there's two spreads in this week's Infamous Iron Man that are just fucking GETTING IT in a way I didn't know was possible, holy shit this comic is going to good places

Gotta talk about the recent issue of my favorite book right now, Coates' Black Panther.

This is the boldest, most insightful take of the BP mythos I have ever seen.

And so important at this time. It's about how philosophies fall to the face of reality, how the greatest intentions can cripple ambition, and how ambition can cripple a cause.

It's bold because it embraces the reality that being a goodness and governance rarely mix. We hear the term, heavy is the head that wears the crown, but no superhero book since maybe Miracleman has truly emphasized this.

I can't really talk about this book at length in normal comic book circles. Not even the ones I frequent, but this book is so timely for me, as I attempt to make steps into changing the world I live in.

It means so much to see a superhero truly listen, get help, think about the role he plays in his life before he acts. It shows true intellect. Not just a know it all super tech genius DC and Marvel love to portray.

This book means a lot to me.

I remember hearing it was actually Jim Lee's idea, but IDK how true that is.

Deathstroke

All I've read so far is Deathstroke and I'm left confused, of course. This was more of a straight forward stand alone issue than most has been so far, but I'm kind of thinking the parts with Slade in cuffs and being questioned isn't taking place after the previous chapter. Superman took Deathstroke to be detained on a small island as he didn't want to hand him over to his ex-wife. This chapter we pick up with Slade in a max security facility in Colorado. I'd say it was just some random mistake but the point of Superman taking him to an island and pointing out the location he is at in this issue seem too stand out to see as anything other than deliberate.

Overall an OK issue. It felt like more set-up but I feel like we really haven't seen any answers or results in any set up to this point.

TheFlow

Banned
Gotta talk about the recent issue of my favorite book right now, Coates' Black Panther.

This is the boldest, most insightful take of the BP mythos I have ever seen.

And so important at this time. It's about how philosophies fall to the face of reality, how the greatest intentions can cripple ambition, and how ambition can cripple a cause.

It's bold because it embraces the reality that being a goodness and governance rarely mix. We hear the term, heavy is the head that wears the crown, but no superhero book since maybe Miracleman has truly emphasized this.

I can't really talk about this book at length in normal comic book circles. Not even the ones I frequent, but this book is so timely for me, as I attempt to make steps into changing the world I live in.

It means so much to see a superhero truly listen, get help, think about the role he plays in his life before he acts. It shows true intellect. Not just a know it all super tech genius DC and Marvel love to portray.

This book means a lot to me.

damn straight

I read JLA vol 7 (?) The first volume of the darkseid war. So much hype for a not so good comic smh I had only read a few comics with Fabok art which I had enjoyed greatly but I think maybe the scope of the book was a bit much for him. His anatomy goes out the window in several panels as several characters break their backs and more twisting and kicking.

I also read Invincible Iron Man vol 1 last night which was much much better. A joy to read with ridiculously good art and a pretty good story. I won't be reading vol 2 since it has awful Deodato artwork.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
My list:

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #10
James Bond #12

All-Star Batman #5
Deathstroke #9
Detective Comics #947
Hal Jordan And The Green Lantern Corps #11
Justice League Vs Suicide Squad #2
Titans #6
Wonder Woman #13

East Of West #30
Monstress #9
Saga #41
Seven To Eternity #4

Captain America Steve Rogers #8
Civil War II #8
Infamous Iron Man #3
Mighty Thor #14
Spider-Man #11
Star Wars #26
Uncanny Avengers #18

Hulk is like quintessentially a Marvel book. I really liked it but it was such a stark contrast to how DC puts together their books.

It's just a regular story that happens to involve someone with superpowers. They're really good at that but I can see why they're having so much trouble these days. When they're at their best, they're working against the current inclinations of the comics audience. Mighty Captain Marvel was a lot like that too.

Poor Marvel. Can't win for losing.

Top Bottom