• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

shingi70

Banned
They could push all sorts of characters in addition to Captain Marvel. They're not doing it because they don't want to.
Black Widow is one of their more popular MCU characters, is portrayed by an amazing (proven) actress and is likely never going to get a movie. That's not because they're pushing Carol.

It seems like it is. Despite Wonder Woman being in development that hasn't stopped DC from pushing Harley, Mera and a host of other other female characters through stuff like bombshells and Super hero girls.

Messi

It seems like it is. Despite Wonder Woman being in development that hasn't stopped DC from pushing Harley, Mera and a host of other other female characters through stuff like bombshells and Super hero girls.

They tried with A Force and are pushing Ms Marvel, Gwen and a few others. They also have that TPB series A-Force presents which takes recent female led stories and packages them together.

They also have a fair few female led books currently running (Squirrel Girl,Hellcat, Hawkeye, Gwen, Gwenpool, Gamora) and more coming up (Hulk, Wasp, America, Jean Grey, Elektra ect)

On the movie side they have not done well.

Sandfox

If Marvel were going to push any character as their Wonder Woman equivalent, Thor would probably be the best choice. She would never be on Wonder Woman's level though.

Like Messi mentioned, they are pushing quite a few female characters though.

mreddie

Wouldn't it be funny if the MCU makes Carol super popular. Some people would get suuuuper salty.

That's what I think will happen, RDJ saved Stark. Wouldn't be shocked if Larson does the same.

Remember, Ike was the reason why Widow couldn't get a movie.

Boogiepop

LoSH - Levitz/Giffen is the classic run

the Authority - Ellis/Hitch, since those twelve issues are the only ones that exist. It's so weird when people talk about more Authority comics...

Thanks. And damn, does Authority really go to hell? Like, just browsing through who was on it afterwards, I know Millar can definitely be pretty eh, but I at least see some later stuff by Brubaker, DnA, and Morrison, who generally deliver pretty damn well (well, DnA I admittedly only have experience on via that whole cosmic Marvel era).

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
My experience with Carol is pretty limited. She was okay in A-Force but she was really cool as Jessica's besty in Spider-Woman.

shingi70

Banned
They tried with A Force and are pushing Ms Marvel, Gwen and a few others. They also have that TPB series A-Force presents which takes recent female led stories and packages them together.

They also have a fair few female led books currently running (Squirrel Girl,Hellcat, Hawkeye, Gwen, Gwenpool, Gamora) and more coming up (Hulk, Wasp, America, Jean Grey, Elektra ect)

On the movie side they have not done well.

Well I mostly meant in non comics media where most people get exposure to these characters.

You guys should be watch Justice League action really great show with alot of Firetstorm and Zatanna.

El Topo

I'm honestly not sure if a solo book alone is enough to count as a push. Squirrel Girl for example is a fantastic comedy book, that's all it ever will be. The character is clearly not going to be pivotal to Marvel universe.
They've greatly diversified their line-up though.

Sandfox

Marvel totally has more solo female books than I thought

off the top of my head:
America
Captain Marvel
Spider-Gwen
Silk
Black Widow(though this is possibly ending)
All-New Wolverine
Jean Grey
Hulk
Thor
Ms. Marvel
Gamora
Hawkeye
Wasp
Invincible Iron Man
Squirrel Girl

I'm probably missing something.

Well I mostly meant in non comics media where most people get exposure to these characters.

You guys should be watch Justice League action really great show with alot of Firetstorm and Zatanna.
Gamora and Widow have decent roles in their respective team cartoons, but other than that it's all guest appearances.

Messi

I'm honestly not sure if a solo book alone is enough to count as a push. Squirrel Girl for example is a fantastic comedy book, that's all it ever will be. The character is clearly not going to be pivotal to Marvel universe.

Weren't they pushing to use her in a tv show. Did I imagine that?

Messi

Even if it's not on ABC, I wouldn't necessarily consider a TV show that much of a push. I mean, even Legion is getting his own show.

But we are considering a merch line and a kids TV show as a push for DC characters? I look at DC and only see them really pushing Wonder Woman and Harley. Both companies need to do better with this stuff.

Sandfox

Squirrel Girl isn't going to be super important, but I would say she's getting a push with everything she has been appearing in lately and going from a joke character to a "real" part of the Marvel Universe.

El Topo

But we are considering a merch line and a kids TV show as a push for DC characters? I look at DC and only see them really pushing Wonder Woman and Harley. Both companies need to do better with this stuff.

Oh, I'm not taking any sides here. I follow DC too little. Heck, I have no idea what the animated department of Marvel is doing as well.

Messi

Squirrel Girl isn't going to be super important, but I would say she's getting a push with everything she has been appearing in lately and going from a joke character to a "real" part of the Marvel Universe.

They have done good work with Squirrel Girl and kids. That OGN was done specifically to widen her appeal and to have an easy to pick up book in bookstores.

Doreen is wonderful for kids.

Oh, I'm not taking any sides here. I follow DC too little. Heck, I have no idea what the animated department of Marvel is doing as well.

I don't mean to attack you.

PsychBat!

Banned
Daring duck of mystery
champion of right
swoops out of the shadows
Darkwing of the night

somewhere some villain schemes...
BUT HIS NUMBER'S UP!

Messi

Have y'all heard the good word about the bdsm lesbian love friendship fun slice of life book Sunstone by Stjepan Sejic. Just finished its first 5 volumes wrapping up its first of 4 arcs. Check it out if you like wonderful characters story and art. Hardcover Vol 1 (includes Vol 1-3) out March 15th. TPB of vol 5 out in 3 weeks.

TheFlow

Banned
Suicide squad didn't suck. It was just average and boring which is a crime for a this type of movie. Least I walked out of BvS entertained.

I gave it a review on Letterboxd. 2/5 stars

h0mebas3

We have a new thread every month. We are very active and welcoming. Welcome to the thread.

Thank you...been looking for something like this for awhile since I've been looking to get back into comics--the movies have gotten me interested again.

Anybody thoughts on the new Gamora?

Messi

Suicide squad didn't suck. It was just average and boring which is a crime for a this type of movie. Least I walked out of BvS entertained.

I gave it a review on Letterboxd. 2/5 stars

How did you feel about Margot and to a lesser extent Leto and Smith?

Thank you...been looking for something like this for awhile since I've been looking to get back into comics--the movies have gotten me interested again.

It's a good start. Great art and it's written by the screenwriter of the first guardians movie.

We will load you up on comics. We are great at pushing books. Check out Zombines new reader recommendations thread. It covers a lot of ground with some great recommendations.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1034116

TheFlow

Banned

New gamora is decent. Keep in mind it is before she meets the guardians. I think it is worth a try

Sandfox

The art is really good and the story is essentially filling in her backstory while borrowing some from the movie counterpart. I'd say it's worth checking out.

TheFlow

Banned
How did you feel about Margot and to a lesser extent Leto and Smith?

It's a good start. Great art and it's written by the screenwriter of the first guardians movie.

We will load you up on comics. We are great at pushing books.

Harley, dead shot, and Waller were the only things I liked about the movie. El diablo was decent as well.

Joker was kinda boring and I felt like he started making animal noises the longer the movie played. Probably the most boring joker I have watched.

Messi

Harley, dead shot, and Waller were the only things I liked about the movie. El diablo was decent as well.

Joker was kinda boring and I felt like he started making animal noises the longer the movie played. Probably the most boring joker I have watched.

I agree with this.

What did you think of the hand thing Joker did with the tattoo. I actually laughed. So stupid.

TheFlow

Banned
I agree with this.

What did you think of the hand thing Joker did with the tattoo. I actually laughed. So stupid.
It was just so many silly things like that and w.e boomerang was doing. Didn't hate it but it didn't make the characters better as well. By the end of the movie I was just numb

remember when slayven said the deadpool movie would flop cuz nobody wanted Wade Wilson running his mouth and doing his schtick for 90+ minutes

Top Bottom