• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

Sandfox

I really like the art for the current Silk art. It's definitely an upgrade over the Ford art.

I'm not particularly excited for Bunn's writing, but the premise certainly piques curiosity. Bunn's writing may be dreadfully plain (based on Uncanny X-Men, Civil War 2: X-Men, and Fearless Defenders), but he has some solid ideas at the very least. Blue seems like the closest to being an actually interesting and fresh idea. Gold seems like a Claremont retread, Cable, Jean Grey, and Iceman seem exactly like what I'd expect from these characters and Weapon X seems like it'll be a solid X-Force series. Pak gets praise (though I've never read anything by him), and if Land can at least put out the surprisingly solid work he did for Ewing's Mighty Avengers then I'm game.

You forgot about Generation X.

What's this about Greg Pak?

EDIT: Oh, Weapon X!
happy-black-man.jpg

With Greg Land.

mreddie

I hate the fact Marvel basically picked Ford as the main artist as Stacey Lee just ninjad after the first 2 issues of the ANAD run.

Dalek

Holy Moly, Squirrel Girl was awesome this month. It was like a sequel to that Pizza Dog issue of Hawkeye.

Oh and I'll say it again-Greg Lang must have incriminating photos of Joe Quesada.

Messi

Holy Moly, Squirrel Girl was awesome this month. It was like a sequel to that Pizza Dog issue of Hawkeye.

Oh and I'll say it again-Greg Lang must have incriminating photos of Joe Quesada.

Hits his deadlines art is serviceable and has a fanbase. That's why companies keep giving him work.

Messi

There is no way Greg Land has a fan base.

Right?

It is surprising but true. Some people buy books for him.

__

Black Magick return delayed!
Greg Rucka said:
So upon reviewing the schedule with @NicolaScottArt and @J9Schaefer for Black Magick, we’ve decided to pushback our return date.

Instead of the April-as-planned return, we’re going to push to June. We’re doing this for one reason, honestly we want the arc to ship monthly. That means needing lead time. Apologies for the delay, but necessary, I’m afraid. It’ll be worth the wait!

I am OK with this. Right thing to do.

Messi

Greg Land actually sells Original Art. It actually sells. Think about that. Some people are paying 200-300$ per page.

TheFlow

Banned
Read up on Red hood and yea probably the best bat book at DC and one of the best books atm.

Red hood and the outlaws #1

I was foolish not to read this at day one. best #1. everyone was right. I gotta be careful though because the first two issue have been about Jason. Actually Scott Lobdell should of just wrote a Jason solo book because this is amazing.

Red Hood and the outlaws #2

Yep this was great. Jason and Artemis delivered some great dialog. Oh man. the whole fight was awsome. keep it coming

Red Hood and the outlaws #3

Black Mask is one hell of a villain. The way he toys with Jason. I can't tell if he is being honest or not. Artemis atm is my favorite woman character at DC.
This issue was great because of the callbacks to the lazarus pit and Jason's first night as robin. so fucking good.

Red Hood and the outlaws #4

ah shit! the way that ending panel was so hype can't post it though due to spoilers.

kmfdmpig

Greg Land actually sells Original Art. It actually sells. Think about that. Some people are paying 200-300$ per page.

I think we need to put quotes around the word original in his case.

I actually used to like Land back when he did Sojourn, although that might just have been that I really wanted a monthly fantasy book at the time. Once I learned that he traces or copies almost everything he does, as well as reuses the same faces over and over and over I quickly lost any respect for his work.

VanWinkle

Read up on Red hood and yea probably the best bat book at DC and one of the best books atm.

Red hood and the outlaws #1

I was foolish not to read this at day one. best #1. everyone was right. I gotta be careful though because the first two issue have been about Jason. Actually Scott Lobdell should of just wrote a Jason solo book because this is amazing.

Red Hood and the outlaws #2

Yep this was great. Jason and Artemis delivered some great dialog. Oh man. the whole fight was awsome. keep it coming

Red Hood and the outlaws #3

Black Mask is one hell of a villain. The way he toys with Jason. I can't tell if he is being honest or not. Artemis atm is my favorite woman character at DC.
This issue was great because of the callbacks to the lazarus pit and Jason's first night as robin. so fucking good.

Red Hood and the outlaws #4

ah shit! the way that ending panel was so hype can't post it though due to spoilers.

Woah, I'm going to have to try this now! Also, should I get the Rebirth #1 issue, or just go straight to #1?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
My kid is 9 tomorrow and instead of buying him comics, I bought him multiple volumes of the pokemon adventures manga. I done fucked up, didn't I?

You are a bad father.

Buy him Pokemon Games instead.

Read through the Wonder Woman 75th Anniversary Comic and loved the parts with the girl who loved WW <3

Yeah, I wish Simone was doing a out of canon WW book.

Didn't she do Sensation Comics for a bit pretty recently? I remember hearing mostly negative things about that though.

And speaking of WW: I went ahead and got Legend of Wonder Woman to see how it is. Tim hasn't led me wrong, so I'll give it a go. I'm sick of WW origin stories at this point (between reading Perez's stuff, Earth One, Rebirth, etc.) but I do want to see what comes after that with the WWI stuff.

Which character has had the origin redone the most? Is it Wonder Woman? We got three this year lol
Superman probably. It's not massive changes but they've been done pretty much every reboot. Hell, he went from having grown up in a orphanage to being adopted by the Kent's in just a few issues IIRC.

Or Hawkman and Hawkwoman.

Which character has had the origin redone the most? Is it Wonder Woman? We got three this year lol

Retold or redone? Redone, it would be WW I think. Retold would definitely be Batman. I don't think we can go 5 issues without a couple of panels of the Wayne's death being drawn.

Hasn't Power Girl had a lot of origin confusion too?

When Greg Lands actually puts effort into a book, his art can be pretty good. He's done it in the past.

Tracing Land reminds me of DC house style art from the 1990-2000 era. Boring, generic, and everything blends together. Some people like it?

Retold would definitely be Batman. I don't think we can go 5 issues without a couple of panels of the Wayne's death being drawn.

It's past any point of diminishing returns. Officially the least shocking scene in the comic medium, and all derivative properties. We can't even get a fucking Batman vs Superman movie without five minutes dedicated to the Wayne death. It would be like every single Daredevil comic showing his eyes burning out.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
When Greg Lands actually puts effort into a book, his art can be pretty good. He's done it in the past.

Tracing Land reminds me of DC house style art from the 1990-2000 era. Boring, generic, and everything blends together. Some people like it?

nobody likes Land, but they...tolerate them?

its like frozen pizza... its not real pizza, but you still eat it if youre hungry, it wont kill you.

nobody likes Land, but they...tolerate them?

its like frozen pizza... its not real pizza, but you still eat it if youre hungry, it wont kill you.

Pretty much. I have a hot take about actually preferring what Land does over GAF's favorite Potato Artist, but we've been down this road so often it feels like Battlestar Galactica.

Dude hits timelines, his output is consistently (tracing will do that) serviceable, and the books seem to sell. Comics are a visual medium, and I prioritize art enough to pass on most of Land's stuff, but he's going to get work as long as he wants. I just hate it when he's paired with a great writer on a book I'm interested in. I don't care if he's tracing crappy X-Men books.

Jessica Jones #1. The Netflix show actually caused me some confusion when
Spider-Woman
shows up. The way she's drawn, she looks so much like Krysten Ritter, right down to the exact same outfit and hair. Are Bendis and Gaydos winking at us here? Can't see how this wasn't intentional.
Jessica Drew
looks exactly like TV's Jessica Jones. Maybe even some Jennifer Connelly tossed in there, which is A-okay with me.

Spider-Woman
shows up. The way she's drawn, she looks so much like Krysten Ritter, right down to the exact same outfit and hair. Are Bendis and Gaydos winking at us here? Can't see how this wasn't intentional.
Jessica Drew
looks exactly like TV's Jessica Jones. Maybe even some Jennifer Connelly tossed in there, which is A-okay with me.
That's
her exact design back in Alias

Dusknoir

Spider-Woman
Jessica Drew

I hear that before the time the original Jessica Jones series started he wanted that character to be Spider-Woman but marvel started no. Thus Bendis created his own character for Marvel Max. So in this issue SW looking like Netflix's Jones was a nod to Bendis' original plan.

Top Bottom