• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

That's
her exact design back in Alias

I've read that and seemed to have forgotten that. Might be the year to revisit the OG Alias run.

I hear that before the time the original Jessica Jones series started he wanted that character to be Spider-Woman but marvel started no. Thus Bendis created his own character for Marvel Max. So in this issue SW looking like Netflix's Jones was a nod to Bendis' original plan.

I didn't realize that. Makes a lot of sense.

We even got art from the artist a few weeks ago with a "This has been done for years now." comment.

My guess is that it's not a priority for Marvel at this point. They obviously need to do a full re-release to catch new readers up with the series. I wish they would at least release the old stuff digitally.

Motor Crush #1. Masterpiece. Stylistic as fuck, crazy action sequences, and the perfect balance of setting the stage and hitting 9,000 RPM in the same issue. Love everything about this first issue.

Moonshine #1-3. S'okay. I expected more from the central concept. I'm not even sure where they can go from here, since it doesn't seem like there's much story to build off. I guess you could say the same about 100 Bullets, though. I'll stick with it to see if there's a twist or some new rules to this universe.

Death of Hawkman #1-3. What the fuck is this book even? Just incredibly dumb and inconsequential. I read all three issues so far and can't even explain why.

I hear that before the time the original Jessica Jones series started he wanted that character to be Spider-Woman but marvel started no. Thus Bendis created his own character for Marvel Max. So in this issue SW looking like Netflix's Jones was a nod to Bendis' original plan.
Or it's just a reference to how she looked in that Alias run:
2118754-jessica_drew_alias_19.jpg
Which does actually explain why they look similar and have similar names to begin with

Motor Crush #1. Masterpiece. Stylistic as fuck, crazy action sequences, and the perfect balance of setting the stage and hitting 9,000 RPM in the same issue. Love everything about this first issue.

I love the art, but there's something about the story that hasn't fully grabbed me yet.

My guess is that it's not a priority for Marvel at this point. They obviously need to do a full re-release to catch new readers up with the series. I wish they would at least release the old stuff digitally.
They also don't have Hickman on board doing books with them so they have no reason to even want to put it out quickly.

We're more likely to get a LoSH book from him than the last two issues from Marvel.

I remember this, I thought they finished sending out the books this year but nope, looked at the KS page and there's some angry comments from this week! I don't think they should've been cut for the deleted tweets but they strike me as generally unprofessional

then again, it's not like that stopped Liefeld, who has an unfulfilled 3-year old KS and still has a OGN from Marvel next year (that i will probably still buy!)
Could they possibly be scammers?
Many people did get their books. They're probably just shitty businesspeople (also during the 4 years they had a kid and a cross country move) and i think the book wasn't done before the Kickstarter was funded, which often leads to problems 'cause they're rarely finished by the promised date

Though I think Dillon has a history of unfulfilled commissions, too

trust me fam Red Hood is best thing popping right now in cape books. Easily better than Batman, nightwing, and batgirl.

Nope. Opinions and all that, but the mere fact that you're listing Batman and Batgirl like they're somewhere near the top doesn't help your case. I don't think most of GAF will even agree with you on it being better than Batman, although I'm fine with it. That's not saying much. Batman is a mess. Sad!

Invincible is on the market. Daredevil and Sam Wilson release. In Rebirth alone, you've got Superman, Deathstroke, Green Arrow, and Nightwing. Detective Comics?

We should vote in a tier list for cape books. Red Hood is cruising in the low C/high D realm. I like it more than Harley Quinn.

TheFlow

Banned
]Nope. Opinions and all that[/B], but the mere fact that you're listing Batman and Batgirl like they're somewhere near the top doesn't help your case. I don't think most of GAF will even agree with you on it being better than Batman, although I'm fine with it. That's not saying much. Batman is a mess. Sad!

Invincible is on the market. Daredevil and Sam Wilson release. In Rebirth alone, you've got Superman, Deathstroke, Green Arrow, and Nightwing. Detective Comics?

We should vote in a tier list for cape books. Red Hood is cruising in the low C/high D realm. I like it more than Harley Quinn.

yea I don't care about your opinion enough to argue over it. you know opinions and all :p

edit: I said it was the best bat book in my original post with reasons why in my first post XD

Sandfox

Apparently the last issue of Daredevil was amazing and the book has become legitimately good, so I need to start reading it.

Sandfox

I just noticed that Amazon is selling the digital version of a good number of ANAD first trades for $3 and with the second volumes going for $10.

yea I don't care about your opinion enough to argue over it. you know opinions and all :p

edit: I said it was the best bat book in my original post with reasons why in my first post XD

That's a totally different pool of books. I responded to the best cape book claim. You're still completely wrong in my book, but that's easier to justify. For me there's only two legitimately decent Bat books right now in Nightwing and Detective. Detective is losing me with this new arc.

Apparently the last issue of Daredevil was amazing and the book has become legitimately good, so I need to start reading it.

Daredevil is great. I'm as shocked as anyone. Legitimately one of the best superhero comics of the last decade, though. Bendis, Brubaker, Waid...now Soule?

TheFlow

Banned
That's a totally different pool of books. I responded to the best cape book claim. You're still completely wrong in my book, but that's easier to justify. For me there's only two legitimately decent Bat books right now in Nightwing and Detective. Detective is losing me with this new arc.

Daredevil is great. I'm as shocked as anyone.
Lol I can't

trust me fam Red Hood is best thing popping right now in cape books. Easily better than Batman, nightwing, and batgirl.
Best thing in cape books, more specifically Nightwing? Now you've lost me. I'll buy that it's better than the previous Lobdell RH books. In fact, I'll even pick uo the first trade, but I'm not going to take your word that it's better than my favorite superhero books ongoing right now. My bias is too strong for your bias

Best thing in cape books, more specifically Nightwing? Now you've lost me. I'll buy that it's better than the previous Lobdell RH books. In fact, I'll even pick uo the first trade, but I'm not going to take your word that it's better than my favorite superhero books ongoing right now. My bias is too strong for your bias

Don't worry. He meant something completely different that you were supposed to infer.

Meanwhile, I'm over here reading Invincible like, "What?!?"

TheFlow

Banned
To be fair the book is just starting but it is already on the same level as other great cape/team books. Night wing took a fair amount issues for me to put it above average and this coming from a dick Grayson Stan.
I think detective comics had the best first arc from rebirth but red hood is rapidly gaining.

Other great books took a bit to ramp up but red hood comes out blazing.

If red hood nails the conclusion I will probably put it at the same level as detective, Thor, cap, and the other greats.

But trust fam I didn't want to believe that this book was good but everyone was right it is worth reading.

Also vanwrinkle don't skip the rebirth issue. So good

VanWinkle

^I read it, flow. It was great.

It's way better than his New 52 stuff, if only because it shows that he's actually a pretty good writer when characterization and tone are right. I'm very impressed.

Tragicomedy is way too harsh with his opinion on books, IMO. You definitely should try it.

I keep saying this

Read all of Dark Art, it's the best DD arc in years

Edit: I would try Red Hood if it didn't star a character I really, really wish was still dead

TheFlow

Banned
^I read it, flow. It was great.

It's way better than his New 52 stuff, if only because it shows that he's actually a pretty good writer when characterization and tone are right. I'm very impressed.

Tragicomedy is way too harsh with his opinion on books, IMO. You definitely should try it.
Right! I feel like Lobdell and Percy are the most improved writers of the year, at least over at DC.

I haven't liked red hood this much since the animated movie.

Edit: Artemis is such a boss character

I think you guys are a little too hard on Green Lanterns. This book is alright, although I'm mainly into Jessica.

I admit I have found her a compelling character when I have been exposed to her, in Darkseid War and the holiday special (she was the only good thing about the latter story).

I just don't think I will ever buy a Green Lantern book again

I just don't think I will ever buy a Green Lantern book again

Johns' shadow still looms large over the entire franchise.

I would like them to move away from some of the spectrum stuff. Everything after Johns has felt redundant because of that. Even the crossovers are like "Character X is a Blue Lantern now! Isn't that wacky?"

Would you go so far to say I'm the anti-Birdie?

There's enough mellifluous praise in the industry already. You can barely even find negative reviews. It's even worse than online video game reviews. I'll gladly carry the torch and call a shitty book shitty. Everything is not 8s and 9s. Most of what I read is a 4-6...you know, average.

A couple Rebirth books are in the 7-8 range, and that's pretty damn good. Red Hood is generously a 5.

Top Bottom