• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

Alright, so I made my Christmas orders.

For my...complicated friendlationship person I grabbed:

I Kill Giants
Sunstone Vol. 1 - 4

For myself I managed to pick up:

Paper Girls Vol. 2
East of West Vol. 6
The Saviors Vol. 1
Faster Than Light Vol. 2

I also plan to start picking up Chew now that it's completed and some of the Hellboy/BPRD stuff.

Sandfox

The only character on the original Weapon X teaser that is actually on the team is Sabretooth ;p

Uuuuuugh man...I love Pak but I'm not overly fond of the lineup or the premise. And I don't know if I can do another round of Land.
If you want to get technical OML is on there too.

This book has Domino, OML, Sabertooth, and is written by Pak so I have to read it lol.

I was just praising Pak for his work on TA Hulk last night lol.

This book has Domino, OML, Sabertooth, and is written by Pak so I have to read it lol.

Okay, let's get technical. OML is an entirely different character from an alternate dimension, with different experiences shaping how he approaches a wide variety of situations. He is technically not the same person at all. ;)

Just like Superdad and n52 are different characters, Old Man Logan and Dead Man Logan are different characters. And I think Marvel knew what they were doing when they stuck the dead one in the teaser.

Sandfox

Okay, let's get technical. OML is an entirely different character from an alternate dimension, with different experiences shaping how he approaches a wide variety of situations. He is technically not the same person at all. ;)

Just like Superdad and n52 are different characters, Old Man Logan and Dead Man Logan are different characters.

Yeah, but they both went through the Weapon X experiment lol, though you could just say that the panel in the teaser is of normal Logan so you would be right.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

I was just praising Pak for his work on TA Hulk last night lol.

I'll read it for Domino. Petey the Dog is my second favorite mutant.

Yeah, but they both went through the Weapon X experiment lol, though you could just say that the panel in the teaser is of normal Logan so you would be right.

Hmm no I would say that is a fair point actually. Not like the imaginary OML panel would be different.

It's still annoying though. Domino is always welcome but Warpath and Deathstrike are major downgrades from Laura and Sauron.

Thank God Land won't be on Cable. But Sabeetooth, Domino, and Lady Deathstrike have me intrigued, especially since when's the last time we saw Deathsrike? Brian Woods X-Men run?

I'm really curious about Cable now.

Deathstrike was in the latest OML arc. That is a weird arc to say the least, but probably good to check out now if you're interested in Weapon X. I'd at least read a summary.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Thank God Land won't be on Cable. But Sabeetooth, Domino, and Lady Deathstrike have me intrigued, especially since when's the last time we saw Deathsrike? Brian Woods X-Men run?

I'm really curious about Cable now.

I wish Land were on Cable. Or Iceman. Or Jean Grey.

Messi

It's way sadder that there's no Detective, Green Arrow, and WW. But hopefully more will be announced soon.

Is buy all those. These are wierd fucking choices for the first run. Harley's book is a big seller and the hardcovers of her last series were constant sellers. She has 7 hardcovers in the new 52 run. It's an odd omission.

Deathstrike was in the latest OML arc. That is a weird arc to say the least, but probably good to check out now if you're interested in Weapon X. I'd at least read a summary.
And the last time she was on the good guys side was in the Wolverines book back when Logan died IIRC.

I wonder if we will see the Cable team tomorrow or if they will make us wait until Monday. I don't even like Cable very much but I'm dying to hear what the book is going to be about.

I wish Land were on Cable. Or Iceman. Or Jean Grey.

I would have preferred it if he had been on Blue or Gold since they don't seem interested in much creative investment there anyway.

VanWinkle

Is buy all those. These are wierd fucking choices for the first run. Harley's book is a big seller and the hardcovers of her last series were constant sellers. She has 7 hardcovers in the new 52 run. It's an odd omission.

Yeah, it is odd. They should trade out the crappy Justice League Deluxe Edition and put in a good book.

Sandfox

I wonder if we will see the Cable team tomorrow or if they will make us wait until Monday. I don't even like Cable very much but I'm dying to hear what the book is going to be about.

We don't get announcements over the weekend. Cable will either come later today or Monday.

VanWinkle

Well JL is getting one because it's JL. Many casual people will see the movie coming up and go... Oh ill buy that.

I know. It's just such a waste of paper. :(

Still, I'm SOOO happy DC is doing this at all. Marvel Now OHCs are AWESOME. So to see DC do the same thing fills me with glee.

PsychBat!

Banned
Damn it. I really like this Weapon X line up but I don't know if I can get over Land's art.

Deathstrike was in OML really recently.

Messi

Weapon X sounds goo...land

612kWZx.gif

mreddie

Who keeps giving Land work?

Don't say Marvel, there had to be one person who decides who draws what.

Axel, is it?

Who keeps giving Land work?

Don't say Marvel, there had to be one person who decides who draws what.

Axel, is it?

Regardless of who it is, he'll keep on getting work. Do you know why? Because he hits his deadlines and his work, such as it is, is consistent.

The number of people who actually like Land must be appealing compared to whatever rate he charges. He always seems to have a job at Marvel.

I know he has a following. Just...not here, so much

Land hits his deadlines

That too. And he's probably easy to work with. I've never read anything from a writer who had a gripe with the partnership. This is not Pak's first X-project with Land, as noted in the interview.

In defense of Greg Land. SORT of.

-The current volume of UXM is a massive improvement over his work towards the end of the first volume, though his female faces are still almost uniformly awful, like Psylocke and M are legit hard to look at sometimes. He does draw a great Good Guy Sabretooth.

-He has a kinetic style that I think appeals to a lot of people. Here's the backhand: it's also appealing because it is reminiscent of other, better artists and it is completely unchallenging

-It's not unusual at all for artists to use source material. It's just that Land is lazy as fuck about it and has, shall we say, questionable sourcing practices.

-All the stuff mentioned above: he gets his work in on time, he probably makes writers and editors happy, there is a fan base out there, etc.

My defense of Land is he was once actually a really good artist. Then he went down this hyper realistic style and never came back

But read Dixon Birds of Prey to see classic Land drawings. You'll be surprised it's the same artist.

Here's an example. If he still drew like this I'd have no issue with Land.

VanWinkle

My defense of Land is he was once actually a really good artist. Then he went down this hyper realistic style and never came back

But read Dixon Birds of Prey to see classic Land drawings. You'll be surprised it's the same artist.

Here's an example. If he still drew like this I'd have no issue with Land.

I like that a lot.

Top Bottom