• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

Catching up on my backlog, going through Avengers now. Issue #3 gave me a Johns' Justice Society vibe, especially with a little Universe/Starman parallel

This I do not understand. I really liked Deodato's work on Avengers.

Everything is obviously photo referenced. He repeats panels worse than anyone. Every single article of clothing looks like its painted on.

His action scenes are flat and static.

He's just bad.

Everything is obviously photo referenced. He repeats panels worse than anyone. Every single article of clothing looks like its painted on.

His action scenes are flat and static.

He's just bad.
Not photo referenced, Deodato uses Poser models and draws over the layouts. Other artists use the technique too, but do a better job of hiding it than he does.

tim1138

Huh, according to a short interview he did with ComicVine, Morrison was originally only going to be on Action for 6 issues.

Damn. New Avengers #3 does feel hopeless.

It's good, but dark as hell.

And that prediction was correct...

Captaiiiiiinnnnnn!

Owzers

are there any tp's/omnibus' that you guys would consider Marvel essentials?

Immortal Iron Fist Omnibus - might be a little hard to find
Astonishing X-Men Omnibus or Ultimate Collection tpbs by Whedon
Nextwave: Agents of Hate Ultimate Coll. TPB
New X-Men Omnibus/Ult TPB by Grant Morrison
Captain America by Ed Brubaker Ultimate TPBs up until Captain America Reborn.

Immortal Iron Fist Omnibus - might be a little hard to find
Astonishing X-Men Omnibus or Ultimate Collection tpbs by Whedon
Nextwave: Agents of Hate Ultimate Coll. TPB
New X-Men Omnibus/Ult TPB by Grant Morrison
Captain America by Ed Brubaker Ultimate TPBs up until Captain America Reborn.

I would consider throwing in The Ultimates Vol 1 and 2 and Ultimate Spiderman 1-10 or so (I have the Ultimate Collection vol 1-3 which covers issues 1-36 iirc).

Splatt

New Avengers #3 was the shit
i'm pretty sure that missing time gem is going to play a pivotal role in the future issues

I liked Green Arrow #17. Great art and a good jumping on issue.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Big week for me:

Animal Man
Earth 2
Green Arrow (never read the book before but really excited for Sorrentino's art...just hope they get a colorist that does her justice)
Swamp Thing
World's Finest
All New X-Men
Avengers
New Avengers
Secret Avengers
Winter Soldier (almost afraid to see what the new writing/art team is going to do...)

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
FYI Andrea Sorrentino is a dude. I've seen a couple people make the (understandable) mistake.

Ed: Oh, the ending of Remender Secret Avengers was boss. Glad I stuck with it.

This weeks comics:

All New X-Men #7: Wooooaaah, this is getting crazy good. To think, I was dreading Bendis taking over the X-Men. I hope his Uncanny can be this great. A+

Avengers #5: Surprisingly good. I didn't like the first arc at all, but I love where it's going now. Especially with
the Imperial Guard who are fuckin awesome.
A

New Avengers #3: This surprised me too.
The gems shattering was crazy. And when they mindwipe Steve I was like :O
A

Fearless Defenders #1: Damnit, Cullen Bunn. We were all rooting for you! ;__; C-

Ultimate Spider-Man #20: F off with this garbage. Miles Morales might be the worst Spider-Man of all time. D-

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I want the record to show that I never, even for a second, lost faith in Dan Slott, and guess what? He's still churning out some of the best Spidey Stories. I love everything about Superior thru 3 issues.

Holy shit did Stegman fucking bring it this ish too. Incredible stuff.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
FYI Andrea Sorrentino is a dude. I've seen a couple people make the (understandable) mistake.

Wai- whaaaaa?? Thought it was a chick...

I want the record to show that I never, even for a second, lost faith in Dan Slott, and guess what? He's still churning out some of the best Spidey Stories. I love everything about Superior thru 3 issues.

Is Superior Spider-Man good? I know Amazing Spidey is ending and wasn't sure if Superior is the book I should transition to or if there will be a reboot of Amazing.

Onemic

Wai- whaaaaa?? Thought it was a chick...

Is Superior Spider-Man good? I know Amazing Spidey is ending and wasn't sure if Superior is the book I should transition to or if there will be a reboot of Amazing.

I thought Amazing Spiderman ended with #700 and Superior spiderman is supposed to be the new flagship series?

BJK

Damn. New Avengers #3 does feel hopeless.

It's good, but dark as hell.

And that prediction was correct...

Captaiiiiiinnnnnn!

New Avengers just joined Hawkguy at the top of my reading priorities after that issue.
I'm even starting to like the main Avengers book more in recent months; first storyline was kinds rough
with the non-linear plot, an less-than-dramatic resolution, and a seemingly deliberate avoidance of why these heroes were called on to expand the roster.

Blader

Yeah, I was mixed on the first issue and didn't really like the second, but #3 was great.

Amazing is only "ending" in the sense that it's being temporarily replaced by Superior until a year or so where they switch back to the status quo. If you know what went on in Amazing up through #700, then jumping onto Superior should be fine (though it's too early to say it's good, bad, worth it, etc.). If you're totally in the dark about all things Spider-Man, don't bother with Superior, just read older Amazing trades and/or wait for the book to shift back to Amazing.

There's no clean slate reboot coming though.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing is only "ending" in the sense that it's being temporarily replaced by Superior until a year or so where they switch back to the status quo. If you know what went on in Amazing up through #700, then jumping onto Superior should be fine (though it's too early to say it's good, bad, worth it, etc.). If you're totally in the dark about all things Spider-Man, don't bother with Superior, just read older Amazing trades and/or wait for the book to shift back to Amazing.

There's no clean slate reboot coming though.

Well I was reading Amazing until about issue 688 or 690 or something, but then I stopped reading comics altogether. When I came back I heard Amazing was ending so I didn't bother catching up on the last 12 issues or so. Should I go back and check them out?

Just recently added New Avengers on my pull, but need to read 2 before 3 obviously.

Aside from AXM and Avengers, need to pick up GA #17. Interested to read about Ollie again without both Arrow and most of Nu52 hanging over my head. Hopefully my shop will have it in stock, but they seem to be pretty good in regards to DC stuff.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Oh my god.

New Avengers:
This shit is super rad, the "Gone." under the Time Gem and the Watcher/Galactus/Thanos panels were classic Hickman. Shit is gonna go down. At first I was upset that AvX killed Prof X but I really loved Beast in this issue. Loved the conversation between everyone at the end - Reed would do anything for his family, T'Challa would do anything for his country, Beast would do anything for mutantkind. Gotta love these guys' strong characterization. Nice tie in to Avengers #1 at the end there, too.

Avengers:
Smasher Smash! Cool little intro story, nice tie in to the masterpiece FF run. With such a big team, you can tell this one will need a little more time setting everything and everyone up.

LiQuid!

Glad to hear this. Have really enjoyed this series ever since Ellis jumped on. Sad to see it go :\

It's starting up again with with a new number 1 with Nick Spencer writing.

So how about GREEN ARROW mothereffers?! Huh? What? Holy shitballs!

In other DC news. I finally got around to reading I Vampire 16. Man fuck DC so hard for what they did to this book. There's one artist name on the cover but 3 fucking pencilers worked on the book and it looks like a fucking hot mess. I'm real excited for Sorrentino's shit on Green Arrow, especially having read that first issue (again, holy fucking shit) but there were THREE issues to go on I Vamp and the writing is still so good but the art on the book has been the fucking pits since he left. I'm never going to be not pissed about this. Cancel a book I love, fucking fine, I can deal with that, but don't poach a artist who hadn't missed a single issue off a book that's going to be ending and has a chance to be an amazing, strong run, right as the thrilling conclusion is getting underway.

Even tho Alpha can eat a dick I'm still gonna follow Fialkov to that shit because I feel his pain every time I flip a page of I Vamp and have to deal with what's become of his work.

ANXM 7:
CLASSIC GLASSES FUCK YESSSSSSSSSSS. Also the ending was great, Bendis is fireing on al cylinders. Wonder where cyke goes from here

edit: GA 17: holy balls is th is book pretty as hell. some sick coloring im sold on this book

JJD

Oh man Avengers 05 was great as well.

Please Hickman don't let me down like you did with Secret Warriors...I still like that series, but it could have been so much better if you just sticked to your original plan.

Acid08

Banned
Just recently added New Avengers on my pull, but need to read 2 before 3 obviously.

Aside from AXM and Avengers, need to pick up GA #17. Interested to read about Ollie again without both Arrow and most of Nu52 hanging over my head. Hopefully my shop will have it in stock, but they seem to be pretty good in regards to DC stuff.
No doubt they'll have it. I called them a minute ago to make sure they had Mudman in stock, was paranoid they would get like three copies and sell out by the time I'm able to get over there. He was able to put one in my box for later :)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
In other DC news. I finally got around to reading I Vampire 16. Man fuck DC so hard for what they did to this book. There's one artist name on the cover but 3 fucking pencilers worked on the book and it looks like a fucking hot mess. I'm real excited for Sorrentino's shit on Green Arrow, especially having read that first issue (again, holy fucking shit) but there were THREE issues to go on I Vamp and the writing is still so good but the art on the book has been the fucking pits since he left. I'm never going to be not pissed about this. Cancel a book I love, fucking fine, I can deal with that, but don't poach a artist who hadn't missed a single issue off a book that's going to be ending and has a chance to be an amazing, strong run, right as the thrilling conclusion is getting underway.

Even tho Alpha can eat a dick I'm still gonna follow Fialkov to that shit because I feel his pain every time I flip a page of I Vamp and have to deal with what's become of his work.

I feel your pain. I, Vampire was (is) one of my favorite books and Sorrentino's art was magnificent. Sucks that they took him off it at the very end.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Please Hickman don't let me down like you did with Secret Warriors...I still like that series, but it could have been so much better if you just sticked to your original plan.

woah, back up.

i thoroughly enjoyed SW - what was his original plan?

No doubt they'll have it. I called them a minute ago to make sure they had Mudman in stock, was paranoid they would get like three copies and sell out by the time I'm able to get over there. He was able to put one in my box for later :)

Nice. May call the store and have one in my box. Granted though, wonder how many people are clamoring for Green Arrow but eh, may as well.

JJD

woah, back up.

i thoroughly enjoyed SW - what was his original plan?

I think no one really knows...besides Hickman and Marvel Editors.

Originally the series was going to run between 60 to 70 issues, but they cut more than half of it. Hickman said shortening it fitted his plans, but it really felt rushed to me.

It was still good, but I guess it could have been way better with more time to develop the characters and story.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Superior Spider-Man was the best issue yet.

Loosing Stegman I going to be rough

It's only for six issues though.

Anyway this issue was the one that proved that if Marvel wants to keep Ock as Spidey, that he can carry the book.

New Avengers is going to be good men doing horrible things to save the things they love and god is it going to be good.

Avengers is great stuff, heroes being heroes.

All New X-Men is just plain good, I hope Bendis can keep it up.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Holy fuck Iron Man is finally getting a new artist!!! How isDavid Eaglesham?

He did some of the art for Hickman's FF run.

fantasticfour-2010-full_021.jpg

So yea definite upgrade, he can draw faces. Sort of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom