• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElNarez

Banned
FUCKING FINALLY. How the fuck was Firestorm still a thing for so long? How is that a thing seriously holy shit.

Owzers

What was the difference between Team 7 and Justice League of America in premise? Both seemed samey, so i'm not surprised Team 7 gets canned without lots of sales. Surprised SoS got canceled so fast.

How in the fuck is Phantom Stranger still around? Fuck Dan Didio and Bob Harras. Paul Levitz need to hang up the typewriter. His books are bland as fuck and he can go write Legion fanfic in his basement.

Go buy Vibe when it comes out everybody please. I'm having cold sweats...

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
No. Hawkman, Firestorm, Sword of Sorcery, Ravagers and team 7 cancelled. Fuxk!,!,!

Dollar Bills story needed to be told....

I'd probably have read Hawkman and Firestorm if at any point during the last year and a half I'd heard anything good about them. DC needs to give these D-list characters to upstart writers with something to prove and just let them go fucking nuts for better or worse. We could have another Morrison looking for his Animal Man out there but DC editorial gonna editorialize.

Owzers

How in the fuck is Phantom Stranger still around? Fuck Dan Didio and Bob Harras. Paul Levitz need to hang up the typewriter. His books are bland as fuck and he can go write Legion fanfic in his basement.

Go buy Vibe when it comes out everybody please. I'm having cold sweats...

Can't do it....DC just seems careless right now with what creative teams and books they put out. You'll have to buy Vibe #1 and report back with the quality.

Can't do it....DC just seems careless right now with what creative teams and books they put out. You'll have to buy Vibe #1 and report back with the quality.
I would but I'm completely flabbergasted right now. Vibe is going to be written by Sterling Gates, at issue 4. What the fucK. I want Vibe to succeed. All of Bob Harras decisions are WTF certified. Fuck this company.

Owzers

I would but I'm completely flabbergasted right now. Vibe is going to be written by Sterling Gates, at issue 4. What the fucK. I want Vibe to succeed. All of Bob Harras decisions are WTF certified. Fuck this company.

Lol vibe is already on the created carousel and the first issue is not even out yet

Sterling gates is the new writer of vibe

http://comicsbeat.com/dccancelsixmoretitle/

Amazing. DC man....we've had fun for awhile but what are you doing?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

What!? They're only like, 4 issues into Sword of Sorcery. Man, fuck DC. They're not even giving things a chance, now.

At this point I am convinced that DC has lost their collective minds. Are they trying to get fired? Do they want to be sold to a different company? I don't understand any of this.

It feels like all the powerful editors and managers have no idea what they are doing, and any people who might have some misgivings are either in need of money too bad to speak up for fear of being axed, or don't give a shit as long as they get to play with their favorite toys.

Owzers

At this point I am convinced that DC has lost their collective minds. Are they trying to get fired? Do they want to be sold to a different company? I don't understand any of this.

Seems like there is just no planning at all anymore. Why even put out Vibe and Katana solos before they are introduced to people in JLoA? Does DC really think putting them alongside it will boost the sales so much that people will be fine with a new writer after 3 issues, also knowing that Johns is just the co-writer of the first issue?

I think they're trying too hard to show people how dedicated they are to canceling books that don't sell. I mean, if you've got your first trade out and you're into your second arc, and the book just isn't doing well, fine. Finish arc #2 and then cancel the book. But this? It seems like they're expecting new titles to fly off the shelves based solely on early press. Some books start off slow and then pick up new readers later on.

Come on DC... At least give this stuff a chance. They were all your idea to begin with, anyway.

That is why I like marvel for its creator consistancy .

Seems every 3 issue at DC a new writer takes over. DC editorial needs to get its head on straight

DC's dumbass decision making and editorial politics are going to sink the whole company. It's just gonna be Marvel and the indies pretty soon and DC will just occasionally release a superman or batman graphic novel to tie into a movie.

Pretty soon they will cancel a title before it comes out. Only way they can top themselves. I'm fucking disgusted by all this. How do you ruin this beautiful industry?

I love how the writer of Vibe was thrown off the book before the first issue even came out. and in the interviews it sounded like he was really excited about the book and had some long term story plans lmao.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I doubt it will. Their sales say otherwise

They are being a bit too aggressive as far as cancelling books and changing creative teams go though. They need to chill out a bit and let books at least try and find their way. I mean at least let them get 1 trade in before cancelling a book. Or let a writer/artist finish out an arc and give it some kind of closure.

I love how the writer of Vibe was thrown off the book before the first issue even came out. and in the interviews it sounded like he was really excited about the book and had some long term story plans lmao.

This was just the height of stupidity.

ReiGun

Why does DC have so little confidence in their decisions -- cancelling SoS after 4 issues, throwing Vibe's writer off the book before the first issue? They don't appear to have much in the way of a long term plan or goal. Even when they have a successful book, like Batgirl, like start trying to do things that would ultimately fuck it up like fire the writer (lucky for them, Gail fans whipped up enough outrage to make them change their tune).

No book is safe at DC unless it's got a big character and/or big name writer on it. I have no idea how they expect to have any long term success with their second and third string books if readers have no confidence in purchasing them. Unless they don't expect to have any success there, and are just putting stuff like Team 7 and SoS out for the lolz. :p

(Firestorm and Hawkman were asking for it though. I'm amazed they're still around. Also, DC Universe Presents should have been one of those once a week digital dealies like Legends of the Dark Knight.)

frye

Rumor is Captain Marvel is getting the axe, but frankly it hasn't been as good as it could be.

CM actually came out, so that can't be it. I think Rafa is right - there was supposed to be a Doom mini by Nick Spencer and Becky Cloonan that was shelved a while back.

e: with Thanos, it's still shitty but at least the dudes on that book (Keatinge/Elson) are currently doing an ongoing series. DC's basically like "well, those guys that aren't doing stuff right now? don't worry! they might be doing something in ~the future~".

The rumour that if you get canned and talk about it online (i.e. "pull a Simone") then they won't hire you again is really damning too.

JJD

Mark your calendars folks, this book is great!

After years of waiting, the English translation of Yukimura’s Vinland Saga manga to debut in October

For years American readers and pundits have been pining for an English translation, with The Comics Journal‘s Dirk Deppey openly endorsing reading scanlations in the absence of an official English-language release. But come Oct. 8 that will all change with the arrival of the 460-page Book One, which not only collects the first two volumes of Vinland Saga but also marks the first hardcover from Kodansha Comics. The $19.99 U.S. edition, which boasts a larger trim size, also includes a new Q&A with Yukimura, Viking cosplay photos (because, why not?), and the first installment of “For Our Farewell Is Near,” an unreleased Yukimura story that will be serialized throughout the books.

27053-vinland-saga-manga.jpg

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
heard a lot of things about that series - how long is it in total? i want to know what i'm getting myself into

No. Hawkman, Firestorm, Sword of Sorcery, Ravagers and team 7 cancelled. Fuxk!,!,!

Dollar Bills story needed to be told....

I know this was not selling as well as expected but I thought given the higher price point and thus greater dollar value for DC, it had stronger chance of lasting longer. Damn it. Seriously frustrated. I absolutely loved this new take on Amethyst, the artwork alone was beautiful and I thought it was well-written even if it was slow-going. I'm truly, truly disappointed in this decision. Amethyst is a character that could have benefited from greater exposure in DC comics and related media. I thought the animated shorts were well-received as well?

Please, oh please let Amethyst join Justice League Dark as a full-time member!

Edit:

Lol vibe is already on the created carousel and the first issue is not even out yet

Sterling gates is the new writer of vibe

http://comicsbeat.com/dccancelsixmoretitle/

FOR REAL?! Wow. The constant cancellations and shuffling of creators at DC hasn't had much impact on what I'm reading until now. I was excited for Vibe. I'm sure I read an article just a couple of weeks ago pointing to the fact that DC was doing something right in their promotion of the book, as it was one of the hottest reordered titles: (http://forums.comicbookresources.co...n-Vibe-is-one-of-the-hottest-reordered-titles)

Surely that's a positive sign, right? What are you doing DC?! Andrew Kreisberg had great ideas for his run. :/ On the bright side, I have to admit that I love Sterling Gates and his short tenure writing Kid Flash as a Flashpoint tie-in is one of my favourite reads.

I'm guessing that following the cancellation bomb, one of the eight titles DC will be announcing for the next wave will be the leaked team book, led by Booster Gold. I'm also expecting a Booster Gold solo book running concurrent. Fingers crossed. I'd love to see DC announce solo titles for Cyborg and Shazam as well. I think I could forgive them for cancelling Sword of Sorcery in exchange.

BleedingCool have also said that Trinity Wars starts in May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom