• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone been reading Green Lantern? I haven't picked it up since the reboot happened, but I'm thinking about getting into it again. Is it worth it?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Has anyone been reading Green Lantern? I haven't picked it up since the reboot happened, but I'm thinking about getting into it again. Is it worth it?

Yeah it's still worth it. Hasn't hit the highs that it did pre-New 52, but there have been good stories.

Corps has been pretty great since the start if you're a fan of John and Guy. They both go thru some pretty awesome shit so I won't spoil anything.

The main GL book has been weird. Mostly Sinestro/Hal stuff at the start but the last half year has been almost all this new Lantern Baz. I haven't enjoyed it too much if I'm being honest, but it's still worth a read if you like GL at all.

New Guardians was pretty slow for the first year, but in the last couple months I've liked it a lot. Kyle's been on a Last Airbender quest to master all the emotions. It's been the most unorthodox of all the books, but pretty enjoyable.

Red Lanterns I find terrible. I haven't liked it since it started and it seems to just be getting more and more useless.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
UGHHHHHHH, This sounds exaclty what Loeb is going to do

Probably in the most punkass way to really Worf him.

Its only way to make sense of everyone coming back other than rich. Hell there might even be a heroic sacrifice to gauge how he got infected as well. But marvel is pushing the second coming of Sam Alexander Loeb, and there's no place for nova prime

That would make me RAGE.

With Loeb, always expect the worse. Like the Millar rule with original titles, but less severe

Acid08

Banned
Thanks for the rundown.

DC seemed to get a bit carried away with the Lantern titles when the reboot happened. Four per month seems a bit excessive.

Well next to Batman it's probably their biggest franchise. Supes doesn't even seem to matter anymore(until Man of Steel comes out, of course).

akira28

I like the Red Lanterns. They awaken some ancient cosmic horror, if sneaks up on them, and they're all like.."uhmm...where did that come from?" Very nonplussed, like you'd expect non-hero anti-villains to be. Very "another day at the office" and I appreciate that. Not, "omg, lets ring sling and have a page full of the green dudes of M.U.S.C.L.E. or something", just "hey guys, we need to clean out the fridge, it's trying to kill us."

the Green Lantern books, they were better before the new 52, and they're retreading old bullshit now, but some of the stories are good, if the themes behind them are a little stale. Blah blah blah, pesky illogical humans, blah blah emotional spectrum bullshit, who watches the watchers, etc. But Baz, I fuckin like that dude.

Troll

Banned
Seven of the top ten comics for January are Marvel. You have to think that DC is going to be right where it was before the N52 hit.

Acid08

Banned
Seven of the top ten comics for January are Marvel. You have to think that DC is going to be right where it was before the N52 hit.

Marvel has the characters that people will always want.

DC has Batman and maybe Supes. The rest ebb and flow with time it seems.

Parallax

DC seems to be folding in a weird direction. And this all seems like a large project rather than a long term decision to me. Or maybe its the handling of the staff that makes it feel like the higher ups are playing this by ear

JJD

Don't know if this has been posted yet but...

AgeOfUltron_7_Teaser.jpg

Never expected Age of Ultron story to have alternate reality stuff. Cable as Cap and Cyclops as Cable?

Parallax

I think that's fury in caps costume. That cyborg and starlord costumes are fuck awful. Damn.

akira28

DC brings back Superman's two tone pants, pretends the New52 never happened, and sales/popularity gets restored.

That design wasn't so much of a evolution aa such as it was a hot mess. Like the current red robin costume

And Red Robin gives Hawkdude his schtick back.

Jade stays dead though.

JJD

Imagine if Age of Ultron was this decade Age of Apocalypse and every Marvel book was rebranded for 4 months! Ha!

That design wasn't so much of a evolution as such as it was a hot mess. Like the current red robin costume

yet everyone is cheering that they brought back Power Girls old look at DC

Some looks stick. Some don't. I personally think the new Red Robin is better (I absolutely HATED the full head cover black mask of old Red Robin; I realize what it is supposed to be, but it's just ass ugly). On the other hand, I thought Power Girl's new look was a good attempt to tone down the cheesecake of the character, but I don't think she needed it; She has always handled her dessert rather well, to the point of being almost iconic.

Parallax

Some looks stick. Some don't. I personally think the new Red Robin is better (I absolutely HATED the full head cover black mask of old Red Robin; I realize what it is supposed to be, but it's just ass ugly). On the other hand, I thought Power Girl's new look was a good attempt to tone down the cheesecake of the character, but I don't think she needed it; She has always handled her dessert rather well, to the point of being almost iconic.

really? you hated the old red robin costume? i wasnt so hot on it at first but it grew on me. the current one still looks like garbage

Don't know if this has been posted yet but...

AgeOfUltron_7_Teaser.jpg

Never expected Age of Ultron story to have alternate reality stuff. Cable as Cap and Cyclops as Cable?

Wolverine's belt reminds me of D Man.

Looks like Thing has some potholes, and Hulk is either half scarred or half hairy.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I need to keep reading more of Jason Aaron's work.

Thor is great. Scalped is great. I just read his three Black Panther issues. I haven't read anything involving BP before. He is badass. How long was Storm with him and are they still together?

Storm & Black Panther were together for a long time, and only recently split up. It was almost entirely for political reasons - the people of Wakanda hate the "X-Men" name because during AvX
Pheonix-Force powered Namor flooded Wakanda
and since Storm is associated with the X-Men, they had to split up.

Glad you enjoyed that BP story! How goes the rest of the Hickman prep reading?

Owzers

Bought WATXM Quire mini from Aaron, 2.5 issues in and it's enjoyable if not a littttttle shallow. Far too much time is spent on Quire talking to himself either praising himself or worrying and that enhances the feeling that not much is actually going on in this series.

With that 80's headband? Really?

Your nitpicking. Take off the 80s headband and its a great costume

Although personally I don't see why she can't wear the headband. Ms.Marvel's new costume is ruined because she wears that scarf thing around her waist and nobody complains there

Oh and putting Tim Drake in the Kingdom Come costume was such a dumb idea. THIS is Tim Drake:

Tim_Drake.jpg

or this

393px-Robin_Tim_Drake_0090.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Your nitpicking. Take off the 80s headband and its a great costume

Although personally I don't see why she can't wear the headband. Ms.Marvel's new costume is ruined because she wears that scarf thing around her waist and nobody complains there

Don't go hating on the Captain Marvel costume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom