• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
i feel like Damon knights is the only book to survive the creator switch.

WRONG. Paul Cornell no longer writes it. Some guy whose name I don't even know does.

Wasn't talking about you specifically at all, just the general attitude of ComicsGAF.

I wasn't taking offense or anything, just trying to further illuminate that I DO care about some DC properties and this creative turmoil fucking sucks. I want DC comics to sell well, and I want my favorite comics to keep coming out, but I want some damn consistency in them, and with a handful of exceptions I'm not getting it.

WRONG. Paul Cornell no longer writes it. Some guy whose name I don't even know does.

but the quality is still good. i would prefer cornell as well but the new team is doing a-ok so far.

also i don't think its DC hate just DC fatigue. not a week goes by where writer x,y,z leave Dc due to editorial interference or oversight. or creator a,b are switch off a book to somewhere else sometimes even before said book is out. or a new crossover is announced to boost sales. its like a mad house over there.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
but the quality is still good. i would prefer cornell as well but the new team is doing a-ok so far.

also i don't think its DC hate just DC fatigue. not a week goes by where writer x,y,z leave Dc due to editorial interference or oversight. or creator a,b are switch off a book to somewhere else sometimes even before said book is out. or a new crossover is announced to boost sales. its like a mad house over there.

Well for only having, what, 2 issues? Sure, the quality is still there. But you've just got another writer coming in and telling a story with a set of characters. Where has the sense of long-term planning and commitment gone? I don't need every book to be a half decade long, franchise defining epic like Johns' GL, but I want some of these awesome DC properties to have a big, well thought out, evolving story.

Nevermind the fact he's still writing Justice League, JLA, Aquaman, and launching a new book with Doug Mahnke, he's also the Chief Creative Officer. Don't think he's going any where.

I thought WB has been on Didio's case to fire him if he doesn't perform especially after the devestating Green Lantern fiasco?

Also I will be shocked if Keith Giffen ISN'T on a GL book. I figured he would get one of the books (most likely GLC)

I thought WB has been on Didio's case to fire him if he doesn't perform especially after the devestating Green Lantern fiasco?

Where did you hear this. Why would they Fire their Best/Popular Writer not named Scott Synder. the reason the made if CCO was to keep him at Dc since he was basically preforming the duties as a writer. if anything Didio should get the boot

tim1138

Also I will be shocked if Keith Giffen ISN'T on a GL book. I figured he would get one of the books (most likely GLC)

I never heard anything about that at all.

I thought WB has been on Didio's case to fire him if he doesn't perform especially after the devastating Green Lantern fiasco?
He's referring to the whole "Geoff Johns had creative input on the Green Lantern movie which bombed, ergo the WB execs are holding his feet to the fire to not suck or else" thing that came up after Green Lantern bombed.

But I'd bet on Didio being forced out at DC before Johns goes... and Johns taking his spot. :(

Didio and Bob Harras needs to go ASAP and this is coming from someone who buys nearly all 52 titles and Vertigo. GL movie was not Johns fault, that's Guggenheim and whoever.

Didio and Bob Harras needs to go ASAP and this is coming from someone who buys nearly all 52 titles and Vertigo. GL movie was not Johns fault, that's Guggenheim and whoever.

No it isn't Guggenheim had a much better script that focused on Emerald Dawn and the big villian at the end was going to be LEGION. Instead Geoff showed up on set with his tv crew and used his "Chief Creative officer" title to order rewrites and he changed the script to be based off HIS version of the character so we get a loser Hector Hammond who is jealous of Hal and Carol, A guardian infected with parallax who happens to be Kronoa but looks like legion and rushing to forcibly set up a Sinestro Corps sequel.

From what I understand the cast & crew were not pleased but WB allowed it thinking he was going to be their very own John Lasseter or Joss Whedon but instead it ended up being a stinker.

I would love for Bendis and Johns to write a book together with art by Greg Land. It can be a team up book staring Luke Cage and Star Girl and at some point Luke gets Stargirl pregnant.

oh boy prepare for more bat books crossover!!!

:Well, we have a huge story coming this year starting with issue #21 that, in my opinion, is probably our most ambitious thing. If you stay tuned for like a month, we’ll be announcing it and I’ll be able to actually talk about what it is. It’s something that I’ve been prepping for a number of months; researching and trying to design the biggest story that we’ve done. Something that you guys will be excited about.

it woul be nice if every batbook wasn't treated like Nova was for marvel. thought DnA did get round it by having the crossover serve them rater than vice versa.

tim1138

oh boy prepare for more bat books crossover!!!

it woul be nice if every batbook wasn't treated like Nova was for marvel. thought DnA did get round it by having the crossover serve them rater than vice versa.

And that's why the only Batbook I read is Inc. And once Morrison and Burnham's run ends in June, I will be done with Batman.

Green lantern was an averge movie with potential. the movie was too messy with all the characters and plots.they should have had 1 villain and had more stuff on Oa than a 3 minute montage.

like if hector hammond was the only villian it would have been a much better movie that having paralax there as wel.

Holy fuck please quit it with the Bat crossovers, please for Gods sake I'm begging you. I don't want it crossing over with GL, Vibe, Titans, threshold and Lagoon Bot. Please Bob, fucking stop it right now.

Posted it on the last page, but I'll mention it again, since it was one of the last posts. Snyder did an in-depth interview with IGN on why he wrote Batman 17 the way he did.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/14/batman-death-of-the-family-postmortem

If I'm not supposed to repost things like this, ech, I apologize. I wanted to see some opinions on it, though.

I preferred Sims' interview, of course. ;D
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2013/02/14/batman-scott-snyder-joker-interview-death-of-the-family/

I don't know, opinions? The story was still uneventful garbage, but I at least see where he's coming from. He's right. If
he killed someone, they'd just come back. But the same thing goes for a moody supporting cast. Someone can do the same thing and "Oh waow, look, I was mad, but we gotta stick togetha, Brooce!"

Also, art looked mad rushed.

Green lantern was an averge movie with potential. the movie was too messy with all the characters and plots.they should have had 1 villain and had more stuff on Oa than a 3 minute montage.

like if hector hammond was the only villian it would have been a much better movie that having paralax there as wel.

Thor and Captain America are "Average". Green Lantern was fucking terrible. It's like a hair above Superman IV, Steel and Batman & Robin ironically all DC movies.

LiQuid!

Holy fuck please quit it with the Bat crossovers, please for Gods sake I'm begging you. I don't want it crossing over with GL, Vibe, Titans, threshold and Lagoon Bot. Please Bob, fucking stop it right now.

Dude, they keep selling. They boost sales on the low tier Bat-books consistently. We only have ourselves to blame. If we went a single crossover without a single extra copy of fucking Batgirl leaving the shelf we'd take the first step towards never seeing this shit again (not really).

frye

Dammit I just learned that Mike Johnson is leaving Supergirl.

Why god, why?

In those awful monthly(?) CBR things, Harras was like "oh yeah, we've always wanted to have [insert name of guy who is taking over here] working on the New 52 and now we have that opportunity with Supergirl!!".

Basically, "fuck the old guy, we got a new one!".

I've liked both bat thing events I don't have a problem with it and its not like super tied into each other like Marvel and DC usually do. I didn't know what the f was going on in AvX crossovers so I stopped reading all of it. That might be mean..I might have just not cared.

The only book I picked up that wasn't one I usually get was Suicide Squad this time.

In those awful monthly(?) CBR things, Harras was like "oh yeah, we've always wanted to have [insert name of guy who is taking over here] working on the New 52 and now we have that opportunity with Supergirl!!".

Basically, "fuck the old guy, we got a new one!".

what the hell

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
And that's why the only Batbook I read is Inc. And once Morrison and Burnham's run ends in June, I will be done with Batman.

Pretty much, except since the only DC I read is Batman, I'll be done with DC. Don't even know why I let myself get sucked into this shit Joker story. They got their sales I guess!!

LiQuid!

Thor and Captain America are "Average". Green Lantern was fucking terrible. It's like a hair above Superman IV, Steel and Batman & Robin ironically all DC movies.

I feel like we get into this comic movie stuff at least once every month.

I generally don't like comic book movies at all. Most of the ones the majority of people love I find somewhere between mediocre and abysmal. It doesn't help that I'm almost completely jaded to "movie magic" and the big, wanky, cartoons these movies turn into just does nothing for me. Special effects are no longer special. So all the shit in Thor that happened in Asgard was just about the most boring time I've spend watching film in the last decade.

The type of comic book movies that I do like are good movies first and faithful to the source material second. Punisher War Zone is probably one of the best action movies I've ever seen. The fact that it's based on a comic is incidental to that but I still think it does a fun bit of justice to Garth Ennis' ridiculous take on the character.

Nolan's Batman and Thor, and Captain America are some of the worst examples of wanky, shitty comic book movies. They're overlong, feature disgustingly incomprehensible scripts, pay too much homage to to the source material in lieu of telling a pointed, effective story and are all guilty of movie faux pas numero uno: THEY BORE ME. We got to the third fucking Batman movie and we're down to LITERALLY ~22 minutes of actual Batman in a 3 hour movie?! (I kept track). Even as someone who doesn't like Batman, I would LOVE to see a good 1.5-2 hour movie of Batman beating the shit out of bad guys NON-STOP. Cap could have had its entire first hour excised and I wouldn't have even known the difference because it was akin to taking a nap. Thor spent nearly the ENTIRETY OF HIS MOVIE WITHOUT SUPER POWERS. These movies all suck insane amounts of shit.

Other flicks I evaluate on a case by case basis, like Avengers at the very least was pretty much action packed throughout. The Whedonisms kept it light and humorous, tho the invasion at the end devolved into a bunch of stupid cartoonery (at least there were space whales). I still don't think it's a great film, but it's a better "comic book film," so it got higher marks

Green Lantern was "bad" but I loved how fucking stupid it was, so it got higher marks.

The new Spider Man movie was corny as FUCK, but the central PP/Gwen relationship was so cuuuuuuute (plus dat emma) and I thought Lizard was rad, so it got higher marks.

The first Iron Man was legitimately kind of hilarious, and RDJ killed, so it got higher marks.

tl;dr, comic movies are bad, everything you guys like is terrible and I'm miserable and jaded about everything under the sun.

eh Marvel's movies are fine I like there system of making solid movies that appease fans and occasionally producing a GREAT movie that has mass market appeal. Its better than DC's bipolar hit/miss throw everything at the wall approach where we get Halle berry catwoman followed by Batman begins followed by superman returns followed by green lantern.

Iron Man has the benefit of not having costumes that look awful no matter what. The Hulk movie will hopefully have the same success. Every comic book movie has had terrible costumes though. No way around it. They were designed by artists who couldn't draw clothes.

You literally cannot make actual clothes from those sorts of concepts. It can't happen.

Onemic

Read the first issue of Preacher. I'm already hooked.

And the supposed disgusting blood/gore was overhyped to hell and back. It's gory, but not at the level people were hyping it to be. Then again I only read the first issue....

Can someone please explain the love for Morrison to me? I literally can't UNDERSTAND it. I can't process it in my brain, and would love to hear some in-depth opinions on that.

It seems like he just writes gimmicks and doesn't really build beyond that.

Can someone please explain the love for Morrison to me? I literally can't UNDERSTAND it. I can't process it in my brain, and would love to hear some in-depth opinions on that.

He is just awesome. He probably has the best track record date Allen Moore for awesome comics.

He also writes comcis that make you think rather than tell. Alot is left to the reader to ponder.

frye

How much have you read? A lot of his recent stuff (Action, a bunch of his Batman, and Happy I guess) is some weak ass shit.

Acid08

Banned
I wouldn't call Happy a weak book, it's thoroughly entertaining. It's just more straight forward than most of his stuff.

How much have you read? A lot of his recent stuff (Action, a bunch of his Batman, and Happy I guess) is some weak ass shit.

Batman and Son(the worst Batman comic I've ever read), the Resurrection of Ras al Ghul, Arkham Asylum (interesting), The Black Glove, and RIP (I liked the art, hence my avatar).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom