• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet Punisher: War Zone has a trade coming out at the end of the May.
I'm holding out hope for a "Punisher by Greg Rucka Ultimate Collection." The entire regular series run, plus the miniseries, plus the "Omega Effect" tie-ins from DD and Avenging. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.

Come on Marvel, do it.

DO IT.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm holding out hope for a "Punisher by Greg Rucka Ultimate Collection." The entire regular series run, plus the miniseries, plus the "Omega Effect" tie-ins from DD and Avenging. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.

Come on Marvel, do it.

DO IT.

I don't know where to start reading the Punisher. Remender's run?

That's loosely based on a series called Thor: Son of Asgard. It ran for twelve issues back in 2004, and follows young Thor and his companions before they became heroes; the writing has a young teen approach, and I remember it being pretty good. Adventure, romance, some teenage drama, etc. The trade collects the whole thing.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058M9PKQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This movie is actually really cool. I'll have to pick up those issues.

Live commentary from my daughter:
"They're ruining beautiful Asgard!"
"Why isn't Jane Foster in this?"

I don't know where to start reading the Punisher. Remender's run?
They're completely unrelated, Rucka's run and Remender's. Remender started his tenure during the whole "Norman Osborn takes over everything" phase of Marvel and positions Punisher as one lone man fighting the takeover; then, things go to crazytown with the so-absurd-it's-amazing Frankencastle saga. It's atypical Punisher stuff, and very enjoyable, but it eventually had to end and Remender puts all the toys back in the box in the finale. Rucka follows with a more grounded, procedural drama approach to the material, refocusing the Punisher on his war against organized crime in New York City as filtered through the Marvel U. He keeps the lead character very enigmatic, and builds up a strong supporting cast around him to fill up the world they live in. Which worked extremely well for me; Rucka's tendency to not focus solely on the lead, to give equal time to characters like Rachel Cole-Alves and Walter Bolt, is one of the things I love about his writing.

People will say Ennis, but apart from the very early stuff like "Welcome Back Frank" and "Born" I've never really cared for it. But I know that's a minority opinion.

Quake1028

The art was everything that's wrong with female form comics art. I was cringing. The book set back women like 7 weeks, and that was one issue. Yikes.

Possibly. I guess I am the rare (?) comics reader who couldn't tell you which artist drew what or who pays extreme attention to every detail. I'm really around 90% story, 10% art.

Possibly. I guess I am the rare (?) comics reader who couldn't tell you which artist drew what or who pays extreme attention to every detail. I'm really around 90% story, 10% art.

I have no idea who drew it. I know that seeing Misty Knight's tits and ass in nearly every panel at the same time is so bad. So bad.

I'm glad you love it, and I'm sure there's an audience that doesn't care, but to attract more female readers, this isn't it.

*shiver*

ElNarez

Banned
I have no idea who drew it. I know that seeing Misty Knight's tits and ass in nearly every panel at the same time is so bad. So bad.

I'm glad you love it, and I'm sure there's an audience that doesn't care, but to attract more female readers, this isn't it.

*shiver*

It's Will Sliney. I remember it because the guy is fucking terrible. Nothing about his drawings makes sense on an anatomical level, meaning that whatever neat idea Bunn might bring to the table is immediately shot on sight by Sliney's terrible fucking execution. The guy has this somewhat fucked up fetish about afros, but can't be fucking bothered to have them work right when they're doused in rain. And there's the boob/butt thing. Holy fuck Fearless Defenders is a sad mess.

WE LOST THE GREATEST TEAM COMIC FOR THIS, PEOPLE.

Acid08

Banned
Just finished up the Dark Angel Saga. Was pretty fucking awesome. The Thing I ended up taking from it? Dean White is the fucking greatest.

Acid08

Banned
Grimm-Fairy-Tales-Myths-Legends-Basuldua-Cover.jpg

How could you not jerk off to that? So hawt.

I agree the art is a little cheesecakey on Fearless Defenders. Grimm Fairy Tales covers are hilarious.

So objectified.

I think FD would benefit from a non cheesecake artist.

I agree the art is a little cheesecakey on Fearless Defenders. Grimm Fairy Tales covers are hilarious.

So objectified.

I think FD would benefit from a non cheesecake artist.

Odds are, if I am getting an all female title, I want cheesecake. I want the sweetest, most delicious cheesecake you can get me.

... just sayin'.

Just a reminder for everyone, it's Wednesday morning and spoiler rules for this week's new comics are in effect; use spoiler tags for all plot discussion, no direct link images, no blind links, etc. If you need a reminder of the guidelines please visit the OP and scroll to the bottom.

I see some sites are already reporting on stuff, so be mindful.

I'd be okay with just a better one
THIS. I was less concerned with the two blatant "Strong Female Action Hero" poses that Misty struck, and more with how ugly the book was. Worse than anything people have complained about with Captain Marvel.

Are we bashing Fearless Defenders?

I'll join - I want my $2.99 back. It was so fucking boring. Honestly, I bought it for... other reasons, but I hoped it'd be good.

I was less concerned with the two blatant "Strong Female Action Hero" poses that Misty struck, and more with how ugly the book was. Worse than anything people have complained about with Captain Marvel.

Captain Marvel was bad. I need to see how something could be worse. o_O

Edit: Gonna have to disagree. Art looks amateur but Captain Marvel still owns "wtf am I even looking at?"

I can at least tell who are people and what are objects in Fearless Defenders. Can't say the same for Captain Marvel.

Oh and their faces aren't being sucked into an internal black hole.

That should be everything that art aspires to. Death to style, and viva la "Oh, okay, that's a shipping vessel."

Owzers

Got caught up with Daredevil...Waid went dark fast.
headless sex slaves?

Liked it but man....the mood is gone. There aren't enough "I'm Not Daredevil" shirts to ever get back to the fun in the beginning of the book.

tim1138

Vibe was as advertised, those last few pages were very interesting.

Really dug the first three chapters of Wrath of the First Lantern, looks like Johns will be going out with a bang.

Owzers

Wednesday morning, DC announced to MTV Geek that Green Lantern will now be carried by Robert Venditti and Billy Tan. Green Lantern Corps is coming from Joshua Hale Fialkov and Bernard Chang. Fialkov is also picking up Red Lanterns with Alessandro Vitti on art. Green Lantern: New Guardians continues with new writer Justin Jordan and artist Brad Walker.

Finally, the surprise new title Larfleeze takes all the writers and artists ever... just kidding, the greediest lantern gets Keith Giffen writing and Scott Kollins on art.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/new-green-lantern-creative-team.html

newglteams_main_02.jpg

Am i reading this wrong, or is Larfleeze getting his own book now? They should just have one book per corps and get it over with. Also surprised that Tomasi and Bedard are actually off green lantern titles in general, though i'm not disappointed.

Day one on a Larfleeze book. Don't know why but I just love him in the same way I love Gollum. Only he has a 5000% power ring.

Also pleased that Red Lanterns is continuing. Fun popcorn book that has defied all the haters.

Owzers

I wonder if Threshold is being rebranded as a Larfleeze book.

I'm ok with these new creative teams, especially Fialkov on GLC and RL.

I don't know how they'll handle Threshold, but i'll probably give Green Lantern a try if it's not in crossover hell all the time. Which it probably will be :X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom