• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

Avengers was... kinda mediocre. I really don't care about this new Captain Universe, but all the other scenes were decent.
She needed more meat to her story. I guess Hickman held back because she obviously has a big role to play, but what was there didn't do much to endear you to her.

The Spider-man scenes were what really dragged the issue down.

Hawkeye #8 Preview (Comic Book Resources)
prv15396_cov.jpg
prv15396_pg1.jpg

prv15396_pg2.jpg
prv15396_pg3.jpg

prv15396_pg4.jpg
prv15396_pg5.jpg
ilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbook
ilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbook

Aaaw, man. I love Morning Glories. What in particular didn't you like? It's ridiculous, yes, but I love just how ridiculous it is.

I've been thinking about it a lot since I finished yesterday. All the comparisons to Lost I've read since are spot on, but Spencer's nod becomes wholesale robbery as the story progresses. Having a familiar but mysterious setting where not is all as it seems is fine, but a mysterious machine that can save the world but everyone fears? How about an enigmatic man with a biblical name appearing to the protagonists in various points in their lives? Oh and
time travel
. Subtle.

Add that to the fact that no character in the book acts in a believable way and there's no sense about what it's like being trapped there day-to-day. Most of the cast seems perfectly fine being imprisoned in a "living holocaust museum" (that actually got a laugh out of me). Oh wait, they
wanted to be there. They've come to free another man with a biblical name.
It's all mysterious for the sake of being mysterious and completely unearned.

Maybe Locke & Key ruined me. That is a true earned mystery. By the end of the first trade you have a good idea who everyone is at a base level so the book can challenge those perceptions as the series goes along. I feel like I knew about as much about Zoe or Mr. Gribbs five issues into Morning Glories as I did nineteen issues in.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
hawkeye week is best week.

I've been thinking about it a lot since I finished yesterday. All the comparisons to Lost I've read since are spot on, but Spencer's nod becomes wholesale robbery as the story progresses. Having a familiar but mysterious setting where not is all as it seems is fine, but a mysterious machine that can save the world but everyone fears? How about an enigmatic man with a biblical name appearing to the protagonists in various points in their lives? Oh and
time travel
. Subtle.

Add that to the fact that no character in the book acts in a believable way and there's no sense about what it's like being trapped there day-to-day. Most of the cast seems perfectly fine being imprisoned in a "living holocaust museum" (that actually got a laugh out of me). Oh wait, they
wanted to be there. They've come to free another man with a biblical name.
It's all mysterious for the sake of being mysterious and completely unearned.

Maybe Locke & Key ruined me. That is a true earned mystery. By the end of the first trade you have a good idea who everyone is at a base level so the book can challenge those perceptions as the series goes along. I feel like I knew about as much about Zoe or Mr. Gribbs five issues into Morning Glories as I did nineteen issues in.

pretty much why i stopped reading morning glories. locke and key is amazing at capturing interest and doling out info about the mystery... morning glories is just sloppy and poorly paced.

kswiston

She needed more meat to her story. I guess Hickman held back because she obviously has a big role to play, but what was there didn't do much to endear you to her.

From his past comments on similar character spotlight issues, Supermanisdead only seems to care about characters that he already likes going into the book.

I think that all three of the spotlights have been interesting. I hope that they focus on some of the characters that aren't new to the Marvel U (whether that is completely new, or just a new alternative dimension version) in future issues, but I have been pretty happy with the last three books. We need more Shang Chi going forward. And Sunspot + Cannonball.

Quake1028

I found out last night that the current artist of Aquaman llives in my city and goes to my LCS. He is going to be there next Wednesday signing copies of issue 17 and doing head and full body sketches. Pretty cool.

kswiston

I found out last night that the current artist of Aquaman llives in my city and goes to my LCS. He is going to be there next Wednesday signing copies of issue 17 and doing head and full body sketches. Pretty cool.

That's pretty cool!

David Finch and Jeff Lemire are both from my hometown (or the surrounding rural area) of Windsor, Ontario. Jason Fabok also lives/used to live close (Leamington, On). I guess all three of them were signing books yesterday for the 15th anniversary of a local shop. Alas, I now live near Toronto and could not be there :(

tim1138

Tony Moore lives in my neck of the woods, we used to frequent the same LCS. He actually helped organize a con here that starts this year, so now Cincy will have two cons a week apart. Go figure.

Hawkeye previews always make me happy. Hawkeye #8 preview makes me really freaking happy. (=´∀`)人(´∀`=)

ReiGun

From his past comments on similar character spotlight issues, Supermanisdead only seems to care about characters that he already likes going into the book.

I think that all three of the spotlights have been interesting. I hope that they focus on some of the characters that aren't new to the Marvel U (whether that is completely new, or just a new alternative dimension version) in future issues, but I have been pretty happy with the last three books. We need more Shang Chi going forward. And Sunspot + Cannonball.
I've enjoyed the spotlights as well - the Smasher issue was my favorite of the book so far. I really, I just appreciate getting to learn more about these characters - and Cap Universe was the one I was really looking forward to. That's why I wish we hadn't wasted pages on Spidey-Ock trolling Sunspot and Cannonball. It was a good issue, but I wanted more.

ElNarez

Banned
I don't know what's happening at DC but they're on a roll of good decisions. I expect things to go super-fucking wrong any moment now. Like, maybe they accidentally set fire to Neil Gaiman or something.

Owzers

I'll give it a shot, but it sounds very generic as a concept. I look forward to getting past their first fight when they meet and then team up to defeat a common threat, presuming there is something past that.

tim1138

I don't know what's happening at DC but they're on a roll of good decisions. I expect things to go super-fucking wrong any moment now. Like, maybe they accidentally set fire to Neil Gaiman or something.

I laughed harder than I probably should have at that.

I agree with Rafa, now they just need to revamp the Young Justice line.

lol what roll?

The last thing they did was basically editorial saying "Who writes Green Lantern? WE DO."

ElNarez

Banned
lol what roll?

The last thing they did was basically editorial saying "Who writes Green Lantern? WE DO."

Dude, save for Billy Tan, the new teams on Green Lantern are pretty good.

And you're forgetting pretty fucking quickly that BALTAZAR AND FRANCO ARE RELAUNCHING THE FUCKING GREEN TEAM.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'll give it a shot, but it sounds very generic as a concept. I look forward to getting past their first fight when they meet and then team up to defeat a common threat, presuming there is something past that.

How about they get marooned on a cruise ship with a broken engine, only Supes can't tow it to safety because Bruce is on to Clark Kent. And maybe the Mad Hatter is on board too.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Uncanny X-men or All New Xmen?

I picked up the first three superior spidey for curiosity but I've been meaning/wanting to get into Xmen for a while now, which series is looking better?

/relative Marvel virgin

Uncanny X-men or All New Xmen?

I picked up the first three superior spidey for curiosity but I've been meaning/wanting to get into Xmen for a while now, which series is looking better?

/relative Marvel virgin

All-New X-men. I'd get it for the art alone but this is actually good Bendis

Pak doing a Superman/Batman has potential to be awesome fun given his Hulk/Herc stuff at Marvel with Van Lente. But since this is "no fun allowed" New52 and that Jae "Hellshock" Lee is on art I'm expecting super-serious rival/douche tedium to be the norm and zaniness the exception. Plus I imagine the flashback nature is going to get some serious editorial overbearance.

Owzers

Do you have to read GLC/New Guardians to keep up with Green Lantern?

I was just GL during third army and it was okay as long as i bought the GLC annual that was the conclusion to the event.

Gah! I have to start reading Hawkeye. I was under the mistaken impression that it was about his super-hero antics (meh). I didn't realize it was slice-of-life stuff. I love slice-of-life stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom