• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

I hope the First Lantern stuff really kind of cuts things down and creates a bit of a clean(er) slate in regards to the Corps. DC should be using the GL Corps like Marvel would it's younger X-Men or Avengers. Guy should be training a new Corps starting from the ground up, teaching them to be future DC heroes/GLs but in a more cosmic setting than, say, WatXM.

A half dozen young Corps members they can build as characters as opposed to thousands of faceless GLs with a few somewhat familiar faces pulled in for a story arc here and there.

Comic GAF, I want to ask.. how do you keep your interest in comics going? I've felt that I've just lost complete interest in the genre over the past few months. I check out maybe 3-4 books a month out of habit now, but I want to love them again.

Maybe read some collected editions of things you passed up earlier.

Owzers

I thought you guys were kidding about the Jeph Loeb sale, that's actually the sale this weekend.

It's been a long time since i bought something at comixology's sale.

Comic GAF, I want to ask.. how do you keep your interest in comics going? I've felt that I've just lost complete interest in the genre over the past few months. I check out maybe 3-4 books a month out of habit now, but I want to love them again.

I don't think of it as a single genre. Look for something drastically different from what you normally read.

2013 is a great year for comics. Lots of awesome creator owned stuff coming out. There are some gems from the big 2 coming out as well. It all depends on what you're interested in.

Red Hood and the Outlaws 17

OH MY GOD. It's not perfect....and this comic won't be...
But it gets me really excited for the rest of the Death of the Family aftermath. And Batman 18.

8bit

Knows the Score
zPl.jpg

Everyone go buy this now. Howard Chaykin's art is beautiful, and his writing is great. This is easily one of my favorite comics since I read it. The new print by Dynamite is great.

It's like Frank Miller.....but good...and restrained. It definitely comes from that era, though. You can tell this is an 80's comic. You have shit like The Shadow dressing up as an 80s punk rocker that shouldn't work. The Shadow being a sexist pig shouldn't work. The Shadow being handled by a writer who HATES HIM AS A CHARACTER shouldn't work. But holy shit it all works.

Preview at Comic Book Resources

That's a reprint of the DC one isn't it? I don't think it was very popular with fans of the character at the time but I do wonder if it has aged well. IIRC the series afterwards went kind of crazy with the character and at one point
his head was attached to a robot body

That's a reprint of the DC one isn't it? I don't think it was very popular with fans of the character at the time but I do wonder if it has aged well. IIRC the series afterwards went kind of crazy with the character and at one point
his head was attached to a robot body

That's amazing. Here's the thing. It's written by a guy who hates The Shadow as a character. It's incredibly 80's, and extremely critical of him and characters like him. And it's GREAT. It's a bit unsettling at times, and he's definitely not what I would call a hero. And that honesty about the character is refreshing, even if it leads to him being an awful, raging sexist. It's very violent, and sexual, and very very 80s. I said this before, but it explains the initial dislike. I've only ever heard it praised.

Hey, does anyone know of a comic where Joker gasses himself and hallucinates Batman as an oppressive knight he has to save everyone from. A friend mentioned this but can't find it.

Hela

I've just listened to Fat Man on Batman (yeah, Kevin Smith, I know) with Grant Morrison.
I've never seen any interviews with him or read anything about him, I just knew his comics and after listening to the podcast all I can say is - that man is fucking insane.
He told the story of Kathmandu, meeting Jesus, giant scorpions and magic and now I feel like I know why his comics are totally bonkers and over everybody's head, or at least mine.
Is the documentary on him any good?

Tizoc

^I liked it...but then again I'm a morrison fanboy so...
Where can I listen/watch Fat man on Batman btw?

Happy #4 was good, I like how Morrison always writes characters with a smile on their faces in the end =)

Saga #10 on the other hand
LYING CAT! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Lombaszko

I've just listened to Fat Man on Batman (yeah, Kevin Smith, I know) with Grant Morrison.

Me too, can't stand Smith but Morrison was fantastic. Listening to this interview and reading his book, Super Gods, will give you a HUGE insight to his writing.

At one point in the interview he talks about how an idea can exist in the 5th dimension and ideas can come to life just by thinking hard enough. This is a major theme in his Action Comics run.
Action #9:
When other universe Lois comes out and tells Calvin about the Superman they created using pure thought, I'm pretty sure is a reference to what he's talking about in the interview.
Additionally, Lois says that the Superman they created spoke and it was the most beautiful, inspiring and pure thing they have ever heard. But she can't remember the words at all. It's interesting how close this is to Morrison's own account of speaking with Jesus, only remembering the first sentence he said to him.

Also, how great was Action Comics this week? Tying it all together Morrison is best Morrison.

Tizoc

Me too, can't stand Smith but Morrison was fantastic. Listening to this interview and reading his book, Super Gods, will give you a HUGE insight to his writing.

At one point in the interview he talks about how an idea can exist in the 5th dimension and ideas can come to life just by thinking hard enough. This is a major theme in his Action Comics run.
Action #9:
When other universe Lois comes out and tells Calvin about the Superman they created using pure thought, I'm pretty sure is a reference to what he's talking about in the interview.
Additionally, Lois says that the Superman they created spoke and it was the most beautiful, inspiring and pure thing they have ever heard. But she can't remember the words at all. It's interesting how close this is to Morrison's own account of speaking with Jesus, only remembering the first sentence he said to him.

Also, how great was Action Comics this week? Tying it all together Morrison is best Morrison.

Well I liked Action this week, it was the usual Morrison goodness, and it seems everything will be finished by the next issue.

Tizoc

Seems like Action kind of got lost in the shuffle, but it was a solid issue. It's a shame Morrison only has two issues left.

Yeah, gonna miss him on that book, less Morrison superhero comics make me sad =( The should get Bryan Q. Miller to write Action or the main Superman book IMO.

...and just to add, I know my posts about Action #17 aren't very informative and sound like Morrison fanboyism, but its just hard for me to actually detail why I like it, but put simply...it's like I read 2-3 issues worth of events in 1.

Hela

What he was saying was really compelling, but without his eloquence I wouldn't be surprised if a guy in a tinfoil hat was shouting the same exact story in the street.

I hope the First Lantern stuff really kind of cuts things down and creates a bit of a clean(er) slate in regards to the Corps. DC should be using the GL Corps like Marvel would it's younger X-Men or Avengers. Guy should be training a new Corps starting from the ground up, teaching them to be future DC heroes/GLs but in a more cosmic setting than, say, WatXM.

A half dozen young Corps members they can build as characters as opposed to thousands of faceless GLs with a few somewhat familiar faces pulled in for a story arc here and there.

That's what Tomasi and Gleason's Corps book used to be and was the best ever.

Lombaszko

One SUPERSIZED issue left.

48 pages, awww yeah. Hopefully that's all main story and no backup, but I have been enjoying the backup lately. The Legion of Super Heroes one was cool.
I'm looking forward to Andy Diggle and Tony Daniel's upcoming run. Daniel's art is great
when he's not writing too

10 Best Superhero Rivalries (Source: Newsarama... of course it's from Newsarama, it's a list)

Sometimes I wonder if they have an archive of these ready to go at a moment's notice, or if they just hastily throw one together based on any news announcement. Pretty sure that #1 is happening again real soon (like, "on at least two WTF covers" soon), which is why we're getting Batman/Superman from DC in the first place, to establish precedent.

10 Best Superhero Rivalries (Source: Newsarama... of course it's from Newsarama, it's a list)

Sometimes I wonder if they have an archive of these ready to go at a moment's notice, or if they just hastily throw one together based on any news announcement. Pretty sure that #1 is happening again real soon (like, "on at least two WTF covers" soon), which is why we're getting Batman/Superman from DC in the first place, to establish precedent.

Oh I'm sure they live in a Dropbox somewhere, definitely.

Blader

I like Waid's DD as much as always, but he has kinda gotten away from the original point of making a more lightheared, fun DD book after all the years of dark and gritty that Bendis, Brubaker, et al. were writing.

Owzers

I like Waid's DD as much as always, but he has kinda gotten away from the original point of making a more lightheared, fun DD book after all the years of dark and gritty that Bendis, Brubaker, et al. were writing.

when you put
headless sex slaves into your book
the whimsy is gone. Still like it but it's not the same book it started out as.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Black beetle scratches that detective noir itch pretty good. Im really curious to see where it will go down the road.

Nova was surprisingly good even though it by the numbers.

Avengers 6 Shang Chi was used really effectively in this issue and I like the new Captain universe character but the Spock stuff was a little much though we get it he's a dick. Overall a good issue I like how it's syncing up with New Avengers.

Willing to trade my digital code for Avengers 6 for Indestructible Hulk 4.

kswiston

Next week looks to be another great Marvel week.

I will be picking up the following titles (italicized titles are maybes)

Avengers Arena #5
FF #4
Guardians of the Galaxy 0.1
Hawkeye #8
Punisher War Zone #5
Uncanny Avengers #4
Uncanny X-Force #2
Uncanny X-Men #2
Young Avengers #2

Gambit, X-Men Legacy, Avenging Spider-Man, and Journey into Mystery are also being released.

Tizoc

Refresh this old man's memory GAF:
What superhero movies are releasing this year and what are their release dates?

Acid08

Banned
Thor: The Dark World

The Wolverine is supposed to come out in July.

I thought X-Men Origins: Wolverine was pretty thorough, but I guess there is more to tell.
Oh, had no idea those were coming out this year. Thor makes sense. Wolverine might be okay, Origins was awful though.

I guess we're just at the point where multiple comic movies are going to be coming out every year until the universe implodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom