• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElNarez

Banned
Yeah... Not that Greg doesn't have it in him to do fun, I don't think he'd have worked with Fred otherwise. But I don't see it happening here.

Pak's writing X-Treme X-Men, in which Dazzler and a team of X-Men from multiple realities fights a nazi Charles Xavier.

I don't think your argument holds water.

Splatt

Stop-Liking-What-I-Dont-Like_o_115105.jpg

._.

Pak's writing X-Treme X-Men, in which Dazzler and a team of X-Men from multiple realities fights a nazi Charles Xavier.

I don't think your argument holds water.
This ain't Marvel, and the other half of that equation isn't the guy you hire if awesome fun is the goal you're working towards.

frye

hah, I really liked it because it's the only way Hellblazer could have ended, y'know? Not with a demon fucking John over or him dying of old age or whatever - but him deciding he's had enough. He's an old-ass fucking dude at this point and him ending things on his own terms is the only "last issue" that makes sense. I'm also a big sucker for the afterlife/Hell being a bar.

He sure as hell wasn't getting a happy ending, right?

This ain't Marvel, and the other half of that equation isn't the guy you hire if awesome fun is the goal you're working towards.

It probably won't be *fun* but with those two guys on board, it'll be at least *competent* which (looking over DC's line over the past few years) is a sure improvement. Jae Lee is a great fucking artist despite being tainted by that Before Watchmen money.

ElNarez

Banned
His work on Before Watchmen is fucking amazing. Not just in terms of figures, but his layouts were incredibly well thought-out too, which makes it all the worst that he has to illustrate Wein's unoriginal prose. I have no idea how he's gonna make it work in Batman/Superman, or how much of him we're actually gonna get because he's not gonna do twelve issues a year.

Splatt

hah, I really liked it because it's the only way Hellblazer could have ended, y'know? Not with a demon fucking John over or him dying of old age or whatever - but him deciding he's had enough. He's an old-ass fucking dude at this point and him ending things on his own terms is the only "last issue" that makes sense. I'm also a big sucker for the afterlife/Hell being a bar.

He sure as hell wasn't getting a happy ending, right?

Ending sounds much better when reading your post and I agree with everything. I just felt Milligan wasn't able to pull it off as good as he should have.

It's cool that you enjoyed it though :)

I want to get into DeadPool comics, what is a good one to start out with?

I heard the Deadpool classic volumes are supposed to be pretty good but can i read em out of order or do i have to start with the 1st?

Splatt

I heard the Deadpool classic volumes are supposed to be pretty good but can i read em out of order or do i have to start with the 1st?

Nicieza's Cable & Deadpool or Joe Kelly's 90's Deadpool ongoing.

If you like any of those, try hunting down Priest's and Gail Simone's stuff.

Avoid Way's Deadpool like a plague.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

just read Remender's Uncanny X-Force and be done with it

I don't know what's happening at DC but they're on a roll of good decisions. I expect things to go super-fucking wrong any moment now. Like, maybe they accidentally set fire to Neil Gaiman or something.

After the Orson Scott Card stupidity, they had to loop back around to Good, just because it couldn't get any worse.

I realize none of you follow it, but gat dam at what happened in Legion of Super Heroes #17.

35117772.jpg

I'm thinking fake out for some reason...

zPl.jpg

Everyone go buy this now. Howard Chaykin's art is beautiful, and his writing is great. This is easily one of my favorite comics since I read it. The new print by Dynamite is great.

It's like Frank Miller.....but good...and restrained. It definitely comes from that era, though. You can tell this is an 80's comic. You have shit like The Shadow dressing up as an 80s punk rocker that shouldn't work. The Shadow being a sexist pig shouldn't work. The Shadow being handled by a writer who HATES HIM AS A CHARACTER shouldn't work. But holy shit it all works.

Preview at Comic Book Resources

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Caught up on All New X-Men. Wow. That was some good reading. This is the kind of stuff you read X books for. I waded through 20 issues of Wolvie and X Men and it just did nothing for me.

BluWacky

I've been thinking about it a lot since I finished yesterday. All the comparisons to Lost I've read since are spot on, but Spencer's nod becomes wholesale robbery as the story progresses. Having a familiar but mysterious setting where not is all as it seems is fine, but a mysterious machine that can save the world but everyone fears? How about an enigmatic man with a biblical name appearing to the protagonists in various points in their lives? Oh and
time travel
. Subtle.

I never watched Lost beyond the first couple of episodes so I guess this doesn't bother me that much - I don't see the similarities as being specific to that. The crypto-conspiracy-WTFness appeals to me on its own merits.

Add that to the fact that no character in the book acts in a believable way and there's no sense about what it's like being trapped there day-to-day. Most of the cast seems perfectly fine being imprisoned in a "living holocaust museum" (that actually got a laugh out of me). Oh wait, they
wanted to be there. They've come to free another man with a biblical name.
It's all mysterious for the sake of being mysterious and completely unearned.

I enjoy the tease. Possibly because I tradewait and can barely remember what happens from one volume to the next, so I can't remember how ridiculous the twists might have been before...

Maybe Locke & Key ruined me. That is a true earned mystery. By the end of the first trade you have a good idea who everyone is at a base level so the book can challenge those perceptions as the series goes along. I feel like I knew about as much about Zoe or Mr. Gribbs five issues into Morning Glories as I did nineteen issues in.

I can't even tell you who Gribbs is, and I like the series!

Now interestingly I have weird issues with Locke & Key. Not so much in terms of characterisation - that's always strong - but some of the twists drive me absolutely nuts and make me have to give up on it for long periods of time. Not because they're implausible, but I hate hate HATE stories where the audience knows something awful that is going to bite the characters in the narrative on the ass. So basically any time the villain does something horrible in secret to someone it makes me reaaaaaally angry.

I do need to catch up on it, though, not long until it ends now I guess?

Caught up on All New X-Men. Wow. That was some good reading. This is the kind of stuff you read X books for. I waded through 20 issues of Wolvie and X Men and it just did nothing for me.

Wolverine & The X-Men had its moments for me (especially the Doop issue), but as soon as All New X-Men started, I've just been interested in it less and less. Now with Uncanny, and a new Brian Wood series on the horizon, I have no reason to pick up WatXM anymore.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Wolverine & The X-Men had its moments for me (especially the Doop issue), but as soon as All New X-Men started, I've just been interested in it less and less. Now with Uncanny, and a new Brian Wood series on the horizon, I have no reason to pick up WatXM anymore.

I enjoyed the first 8 issues or so. It got a bit unfocused for my taste after that.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Wolvy ad X start great but just went too CW teen prime for me.

New X is good so far, and i started Uncanny X-Force just for Puck

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I made it to that whole carnival *shudder* arc. I just really dislike it when writers feel the urge to do entire arcs of filler. That's usually when most books lose me.

Nova was good. Fuck you guys that made fun of me when I was the only one that believed in Loeb. He actually gives a shit about this comic and in only one issue you can tell it wants this to be great.

Superior Spidey still awesome.

Black Beetle going strong. Next issue should be great.

Caught up with Uncanny X-Force. I liked it. I'm going to pick up the second issue when it is released.

I liked Vibe. Looks like his character is going to be really important to where DC is going.

SAGA

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SRG01

Hawkeye #8 Preview (Comic Book Resources)
ilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbook
ilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbookilovethisbook

Is that third girl (Friend. Girl?) Kate Bishop?

I think throwing Banner out of a helicopter in Ultimates has just been eclipsed by Indestructible's
shoot him out of a torpedo launch tube.
The best part was that
everyone's speaking Chinese, so Banner doesn't know what the heck's going on until it's too late.
Really liking the setup Waid has going here, with Banner's S.H.I.E.L.D. deal and the shenanigans he's getting into because of it. I can't help but feel though that so far Hill's gotten more out of the deal than Bruce.

Penguin

Comic GAF, I want to ask.. how do you keep your interest in comics going? I've felt that I've just lost complete interest in the genre over the past few months. I check out maybe 3-4 books a month out of habit now, but I want to love them again.

jon bones

God dammit you guys are worrying me about Saga.....I'm almost afraid to read it.

DON'T DO IITTTTT

Is that third girl (Friend. Girl?) Kate Bishop?

who is clint's ex-wife?

I think throwing Banner out of a helicopter in Ultimates has just been eclipsed by Indestructible's
shoot him out of a torpedo launch tube.
The best part was that
everyone's speaking Chinese, so Banner doesn't know what the heck's going on until it's too late.
Really liking the setup Waid has going here, with Banner's S.H.I.E.L.D. deal and the shenanigans he's getting into because of it. I can't help but feel though that so far Hill's gotten more out of the deal than Bruce.

Indestructible is getting really fun. I can see Banner cooking something up in his lab that he shouldn't have, creating a conflict of interest with Hill.

Comic GAF, I want to ask.. how do you keep your interest in comics going?

Hawkeye.

Seriously though, you mentioned you read ~4 comics a month. I'm assuming they're Hawkeye, Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Chew and Locke & Key... Because if those were the 5 books I was reading, I wouldn't lose interest. But like all hobbies, people fade in and out. Maybe you're just burnt out after so many years... take a break, try something new, and come back to it when you want.

frye

Comic GAF, I want to ask.. how do you keep your interest in comics going? I've felt that I've just lost complete interest in the genre over the past few months. I check out maybe 3-4 books a month out of habit now, but I want to love them again.

Like...superhero comics? Just stop reading them for a while, I think. Read real books. Watch movies. Read non-cape comics. Come back when you feel like it's not an obligation.

Vyer

I think it's kinda normal for me. I've had some good sized gaps in my reading. If there's not a storyline holding you nothing wrong with taking a break.

kswiston

What are you reading? Mix it up. If you are Marvel only try some acclaimed DC books. If DC only, then vice versa. If you are sick of superheroes, read some non-superhero indies. I think a lot of comics burnout comes from sticking with titles you are no longer enjoying/are bored of.

I made it to that whole carnival *shudder* arc. I just really dislike it when writers feel the urge to do entire arcs of filler. That's usually when most books lose me.

oh god, yeah. That killed any interest I had in the book. What possessed Jason Aaron to do a circus arc is beyond me.

Ugh. I wish I could love them a little less. I read like, thirty books/month at the moment. I usually budget $30 per week for comics, but I don't normally spend more than two-thirds of that, thankfully.

Anyway, I don't think of comics as a genre unto itself. There are so many different kinds of comics out there. Look for something that sounds interesting to you. If you're tired of the general superhero books, then look for something outside of that. Indy publishers like Image (still don't know why they're considered indy) put out a lot of titles that have nothing to do with traditional superheroes.

Owzers

whenever i read a few bad comics in a row i frown and contemplate not reading comics, then i read something really good and that feeling goes away, especially when i stop pre-ordering that frown inducing book.

I was being mean muahaha

It's Marvel only but the color books are in it though.
and the newest thing in it is X Sanction

Its wierd I have as much interest in Nova as Captain AMerica..... less than zero, but I pick them a lot on Marvel vs Capcom

jon bones

At one point I liked Jeph Loeb!

Thanks for all the advice. Perhaps, I shall search around for some new, interesting comics. I mean some stuff still makes me smile, but meh.

what books are you reading now?

you should be reading these still-early non-cape books:
hawkeye
the manhattan projects
nowhere men
saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom