• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
I think Deadpool is getting dropped after this arc, same with Action Comics. I like DP but it really isn't a must read. Gotta make room for East of West on my pulls!

i'm not surprised?

But did I lie?
BaRnI7k.gif

Guys and gals, quick question which relates to a discussion I got into the other day:

In your opinion, is Batman selfless or selfish? Also, is the popularity and prolific nature of his rogues gallery ultimately doing the character more harm than good?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
No, hell no. The first Thor is average and couldn't be saved by the good director helming it. No way this one is better.

i was curious who was directing Thor 2 and it's the same guy who did the Damascus, NE episode of Carnivale and the Mad Men pilot.

zack snyder directed 300. this is a no brainer.

i was curious who was directing Thor 2 and it's the same guy who did the Damascus, NE episode of Carnivale and the Mad Men pilot.

zack snyder directed 300. this is a no brainer.

TV isn't Film dude. Snyder also directed Watchmen and the Dawn of The Dead remake. He's only made one really bad movie, Sucker Punch. If he doesn't write the story, which is the case with Supes, we know he can put out good films. Just from the trailers we can already tell that MoS isn't going to be visual bland like all of the Marvel movies ( well outside of Cap).

tim1138

Guys and gals, quick question which relates to a discussion I got into the other day:

In your opinion, is Batman selfless or selfish? Also, is the popularity and prolific nature of his rogues gallery ultimately doing the character more harm than good?

Selfish, his insistence on locking his villains up in Arkham (from which they inevitably will escape) rather rather than permanently taking them down endangers more lives in Gotham than he saves. Bruce's entire identity is focused on being Batman, so he takes the necessary steps to keep that status quo regardless of the long term outcomes or ramifications.
Ultimately the popularity of his rogues is probably doing more harm to the character than good as writers can just recycle the same villains and basic plots over and over again. But to be fair, the same could be said for nearly any popular comic book character.

frye

Also, is the popularity and prolific nature of his rogues gallery ultimately doing the character more harm than good?[/b]

Not all of them. But Joker and arguably Two-Face? Yeah.

The Joker is a broken character at this point - a character that writers who want to make their Definitive Batman Story feel obligated to put in, not because they have a particularly interesting story to tell, but because they feel like they have to for it to be a Definitive Batman Story. But to make the Joker a big and meaningful threat, all lot of these guys feel like they have to one-up the previous high water mark for depravity in order to make him "scary". I think the point where I stopped caring about the Joker was in No Man's Land where he ends up shooting Sarah Essen and it's not scary at all - it's just gross as shit. I'm sure if I read comics earlier than that I would have said the same about Jason Todd, too.

Watchmen was soulless.

Dawn Of The Dead, zombie baby aside, was great.

Everything having to do with Dr. Manhattan's back story was borderline perfect story telling tho. If Snyder taps into that part of him again I have no doubt that MoS will be better than any Superhero film from this year.

Everything having to do with Dr. Manhattan's back story was borderline perfect story telling tho. If Snyder taps into that part of him again I have no doubt that MoS will be better than any Superhero film from this year.

Byyeeeeuuuucccchhhh!!!! Not a single second in that movie was perfect anything other than maybe a perfect mess, ha ha, right?

No seriously, that movie was terrible from top to bottom.

Acid08

Banned
Byyeeeeuuuucccchhhh!!!! Not a single second in that movie was perfect anything other than maybe a perfect mess, ha ha, right?

No seriously, that movie was terrible from top to bottom.
He translated so much of that book DIRECTLY WITHOUT CHANGE to the screen and somehow it still ended up being a soulless, bland mess.

Don't worry dudes, Kaeptain has HORRIBLE taste in superhero films. This is known.

Bro all because I don't like visual bland movies like the marvel ones doesn't mean I have bad taste. Seriously, how does Marvel hire fucking Seamus McGarvey and still produce something as ugly as the Avengers.

Edit: and just to clarify I really want Thor to be good because I love the character but all signs point to nope. Seeing who came up with the story and who the screen writers are scaring me.

Can this thread please not turn into another movie thread on gaf. Where everyone is an expert film maker/critic when all they're really doing is judging cast and crew off imdb history.

You know when we'll know if these movies are good or not?
When they come out

Sigh

jon bones

Can this thread please not turn into another movie thread on gaf.

no

produce something as ugly as the Avengers.

different strokes for different folks, indeed

TV isn't Film dude. Snyder also directed Watchmen and the Dawn of The Dead remake. He's only made one really bad movie, Sucker Punch. If he doesn't write the story, which is the case with Supes, we know he can put out good films. Just from the trailers we can already tell that MoS isn't going to be visual bland like all of the Marvel movies ( well outside of Cap).

you're right that TV isn't Film but 300 and Watchmen were both ugly and bad. I haven't seen any trailers, so I can only judge MoS by the director's previous works.

but if you consider 300 and watchmen visually appealing, and Avengers and Thor "visually bland" i'll take bland 7 days a week.

no

different strokes for different folks, indeed

you're right that TV isn't Film but 300 and Watchmen were both ugly and bad. I haven't seen any trailers, so I can only judge MoS by the director's previous works.

but if you consider 300 and watchmen visually appealing, and Avengers and Thor "visually bland" i'll take bland 7 days a week.

How is Watchmen ugly? Larry Fong's cinematography was praised when 300 was released. Avengers is considered bland to anyone that knows anything about cinematography/photography.

jon bones

How is Watchmen ugly? Larry Fong's cinematography was praised when 300 was released. Avengers is considered bland to anyone that knows anything about cinematography/photography.

if SUPER SLOW MOOOOO 300 was praised by "anyone that knows anything about cinematography/photography" then i will gladly be a philistine who thinks Avengers was significantly better

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I have low expectations for superhero movies and am able to enjoy most of them due to not taking them too seriously. I don't care about the fabric of costumes in movies.

Selfish, his insistence on locking his villains up in Arkham (from which they inevitably will escape) rather rather than permanently taking them down endangers more lives in Gotham than he saves. Bruce's entire identity is focused on being Batman, so he takes the necessary steps to keep that status quo regardless of the long term outcomes or ramifications.
Ultimately the popularity of his rogues is probably doing more harm to the character than good as writers can just recycle the same villains and basic plots over and over again. But to be fair, the same could be said for nearly any popular comic book character.
But, it's not batman's place to be judge, jury and executioner of the rogues. I think part of the problem with the rogues is that it's become too personal, that they're too "intimate" with him, and that's the fault of the writers. It's not exclusively a batman problem but it's certainly more pronounced with him because of their overuse and characterization.

The most important part is that Batman's villains know he won't kill them. Batman turning up just gets you thrown in Arkham for a bit. In that way Batman is clearly selfish, and he doesn't go around helping random people a much like Spider-Man.

akira28

The most important part is that Batman's villains know he won't kill them. Batman turning up just gets you thrown in Arkham for a bit. In that way Batman is clearly selfish, and he doesn't go around helping random people a much like Spider-Man.

They know he won't kill them, but they also run like hell, unless they're written as 'don't give a fuck' smartasses. His villains used to be scared of him, but lately I do see to many people playing the "I know you don't kill, bats" bullshit, which is dumb, because his whole bread and butter is being the scariest motherfucker out there. But when you self-woobie your own batman, this is the kind of shit that happens.

Someone is going to have to write about him shoot/slicing a dude just to prove he's not a bitch.

Bats is selfless, not selfish. But he doesn't give it all away, all the time. What's the selfishness argument, because I'm not following it?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ugly.
Boring for the first 2 hours.
Horrible and useless characters.
Turning Chris Evans' charismatic Cap into a piece of wood.
Not enough Bruce Banner.

I thought The Avengers was super boring too... the Marvel Studio movies leave me indifferent at best.

I think Man of Steel is the only announced superhero movie that I have an interest in. Actually, Edgar Wright could get my attention with Ant-Man.

Wool

The Punisher was the best comic book movie I've ever seen. Batman Returns and Batman & Robin are both great too. Didn't care for the Christopher Nolan movies at all.

tim1138

But, it's not batman's place to be judge, jury and executioner of the rogues. I think part of the problem with the rogues is that it's become too personal, that they're too "intimate" with him, and that's the fault of the writers. It's not exclusively a batman problem but it's certainly more pronounced with him because of their overuse and characterization.

Who says Batman has to kill his rogues? I only said permanently take them down. He could just easily have Supes shoot them into the Phantom Zone, a GL take them to Oa to be put into a sciencell, or hell even dropped off on an uninhabited planet. Seeing as how they continually escape justice, Bats may as well be judge and jury.
On a side note, why the hell does anyone even still live in Gotham at this point?! What a cesspool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom