• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

Don't you still read WATXM every month? If so, why not take your own advice?

DC GAF, I read JLA #1 and was a little lost. I haven't kept up on Non-Batman DC since last winter. Any back stories I could read to better explain what lead to the start of this book?

I really only read Justice League and it's lead to most of the JLoA stuff for the most part
as far as Trevor and Waller getting to this point

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Don't you still read WATXM every month? If so, why not take your own advice?

no i dropped that awful book during the carnival bullshit

issues 1-8 and 17 were very good, everything else has been the definition of forgettable

[*]Fatale - DROP - It could be fucking amazing, but it hasn't really been for ten issues, so even if it did pick back up, which is debatable, it's nowhere near as good as what you'd expect from those guys
[*]WatXM - CONSIDER DROPPING - The last couple issues were getting back at something fun, but Aaron can't really blend action-comedy and serious drama, which is always around the corner, and he's made some very uninspired Claremont riffs lately.
[/LIST]

what is this

keep deadpool
drop fatale
and only consider dropping watxm?

ReiGun

DC GAF, I read JLA #1 and was a little lost. I haven't kept up on Non-Batman DC since last winter. Any back stories I could read to better explain what lead to the start of this book?
All you need to know is

1. Superman and Wonder Woman became fuck buddies, and the government is afraid of the fallout.

2. Atlantis just attacked (you should read the "Throne of Atlantis" crossover between Aquaman and Justice League cause it's good) and the government is scared of that too.

3. The government is just scared of the JL in general.

I suppose you could read Justice League 9-12 to get more info on Steve Trevor. Aside from that, everything you need is in the book.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Genuinely thought dropping WatXM would be more controversial. I'd tend to agree. Detailed breakdown :
  • Batman: The Dark Knight - DROP - Book is not as terrible as it was under Finch, but it's still mostly pointless
  • Iron Man - CONSIDER DROPPING - Gillen is a terrifically clever writer, but he's burdened with Land on art. It's not permanent, however, since the book will switch to Englehart soon-ish
  • Deadpool - KEEP - How the fuck is that up for debate this is the stupidest, and therefore the greatest mish-mash of cartoon ultraviolence, pop-culture references and amazing action.
  • Morbius - DROP - Uninspired, somewhat boring
  • Fatale - DROP - It could be fucking amazing, but it hasn't really been for ten issues, so even if it did pick back up, which is debatable, it's nowhere near as good as what you'd expect from those guys
  • The Massive - CONSIDER DROPPING - It's moody and contemplative and might be pretty boring or somewhat overwrought in its ecologist militantism
  • Mind The Gap - KEEP - Maybe, I don't know
  • ANXM - KEEP - Bendis letting loose and having fun with fucking stunning Immonen art, how is that even up for debate
  • UXM - KEEP - Same as ANXM, except with more intrigue and BACHALO AND FRAZER IRVING ON ART. Flipping heck son you can't drop that
  • WatXM - CONSIDER DROPPING - The last couple issues were getting back at something fun, but Aaron can't really blend action-comedy and serious drama, which is always around the corner, and he's made some very uninspired Claremont riffs lately.

Fair reasoning, go with this. Except for Fatale.

DRG

Neo Member
Thanks for the input so far. Definitely dropped Dark Knight, Morbius, and WatXM.

Not sure where to go with Iron Man and Dead Pool.

frye

All you need to know is

1. Superman and Wonder Woman became fuck buddies, and the government is afraid of the fallout.

is the government afraid they'll fuck so hard that the earth will break

Fair reasoning, go with this. Except for Fatale.

Fatale has always been more interesting than say... Incognito which is still their weakest effort but the last two done-in-ones have upped the game quite a bit. Keep it.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Zero gravity sex in space. The only problem would be the sex waves getting men and women aroused and sex crazy, or getting women pregnant from space

ElNarez

Banned

Well it made Booster Gold disappear, so time is getting giga-fucked.

what is this

keep deadpool
drop fatale
and only consider dropping watxm?

When it's on, WatXM is still a super-fun wacky teen adventure X-Men book. Which is why I can't outright drop it. However, Brubaker and Phillips can do much better than Fatale, which has been somewhat boring and uninteresting for most of its run. And again, Deadpool is super clever about the ways it gets super stupid.

DRG

Neo Member
Looking at a few other things on my pull list, what about these? Keep or drop and why? I haven't really read some of this in depth yet but put them on my list due to the comic store worker talking them up.

Action Comics
Hawkeye
Savage Wolverine
Thunderbolts (read the first two issues, thought it was cool. Read from many that it actually sucks, so I'm on the fence).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Looking at a few other things on my pull list, what about these? Keep or drop and why? I haven't really read some of this in depth yet but put them on my list due to the comic store worker talking them up.

Action Comics
Hawkeye
Savage Wolverine
Thunderbolts (read the first two issues, thought it was cool. Read from many that it actually sucks, so I'm on the fence).

You keep Hawkguy. You never drop Hawkguy. As far as Action goes Morrison is leaving it soon so who knows if it'll be any good. Other two I can't say I've bothered to follow.

kswiston

Action Comics - Morrison is gone after the next issue I believe. Drop.
Hawkeye - Keep
Savage Wolverine - Not reading so no clue
Thunderbolts (read the first two issues, thought it was cool. Read from many that it actually sucks, so I'm on the fence). - if you like it, who cares what GAF/the Internet thinks.

My comments

ElNarez

Banned

Action Comics
Hawkeye
Savage Wolverine

• Action - CONSIDER DROPPING - Morrison's run ends at 18, and Diggle has to follow it up. Doesn't bode well.
  • Hawkguy - KEEP - For Pizza Dog's sake what the fuck is wrong with you that you'd consider dropping it
  • Savage Wolverine - DROP - This is the saddest excuse for a book about boobs and Wolverine murdering dinosaurs I've ever read.
  • Thunderbolts - DROP - It's a weird fucking hot mess that's trying way too hard to be a Garth Ennis comic about badasses making jokes and brutally murdering dudes. It's all over the fucking place in the worst ways.

frye

Action Comics
Hawkeye
Savage Wolverine

Drop Action. It's definitely not peak Morrison but even if you're into him, he's off the book next issue and the guys taking over aren't particularly promising.

Keep Hawkeye. If you don't know why just pick a random issue to read.

Savage Wolverine - do you like 1) boobs, 2) dinosaurs and 3) Frank Cho drawing boobs and dinosaurs? If so, keep! If not, drop.

Keep Thunderbolts. You seem into it, I guess.

DRG

Neo Member
  • Action - CONSIDER DROPPING - Morrison's run ends at 18, and Diggle has to follow it up. Doesn't bode well.
  • Hawkguy - KEEP - For Pizza Dog's sake what the fuck is wrong with you that you'd consider dropping it
  • Savage Wolverine - DROP - This is the saddest excuse for a book about boobs and Wolverine murdering dinosaurs I've ever read.
  • Thunderbolts - DROP - It's a weird fucking hot mess that's trying way too hard to be a Garth Ennis comic about badasses making jokes and brutally murdering dudes. It's all over the fucking place in the worst ways.

Haha, thanks for the tip on Hawkeye. I'm fairly new to comics after being gone for many, many years, so I basically just added a bunch of stuff to my pull list to try out new things.

So is there a good comic centered around Wolverine other than WatXm now or no?

guadiansyoungva.jpg
wolverine1youngvar.jpg
More Marvel variants (Newsarama)

Skottie Young delivering the dawwesome yet again.

Also, d*ck Cyclops.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Haha, thanks for the tip on Hawkeye. I'm fairly new to comics after being gone for many, many years, so I basically just added a bunch of stuff to my pull list to try out new things.

So is there a good comic centered around Wolverine other than WatXm now or no?

Wolverine has like 3 MarvelNOW books that he's the star of and is featured in like 7 others. You'll find another Wolverine book, trust me.

DRG

Neo Member
Not sure if you're trolling here or what.

Tied for the best comic being published right now.

I know. I'm sorry, haha. Like I said I haven't read it before and just wanted everyone's opinions. I'm still a comic noob. Most of the stuff I subbed to was characters I had loved in the past and then series that the comic book shop guy had hyped up every time I went there the past couple of months.

I'll keep my eye out for the new Wolverine. Thanks!

kswiston

Those comic re-tellings of classic books must sell well at retail bookstores or something because the latest Oz book is doing 7k copies an issue on the direct market.

akira28

Yep. He was always kind of the Plastic Man of the Avengers. Not too serious, kind of wacky, kind of cheesy, legitimately powerful, so when you see him shoot the moon, it's not too out of place. So, at some point they decided he needed to become crazy, and kick the Avengers asses. Then he regretted it, and he's been kind of stalkery about proving himself and redeeming himself. I guess...it worked? Still kinda creepy though. They wrote him like someone who's off his meds.

He had ionic overload. So went loco loco. So Rogue may drain a portion of him to get the powers Remender has hinted at her having and making him sane again.

Also only person who can go toe to to with Thor out of the cast.

8bit

Knows the Score

Action Comics
Hawkeye
Savage Wolverine

Andy Diggle is taking over Action, and he does write good comics so it's probably worth sticking around for his first at least. (Information believed correct at time of writing and subject to DC randomiser.)

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'm working through a huge stack of the DC #0 issues I never got to to read while smoking chicken today. Action and Batgirl are the early class of the bunch. Phantom Stranger and Green Arrow, not so much.

Owzers

Read through Saga 1-7 the last couple days as my next catch-up book, I really like it BUT it seems to jump around a little bit.
The Will has an odd story with sextillion

spoiler question:

So the horn head side contracted the freelancers to capture the baby alive and kill the parents, and the winged people sent robotguy to kill all three?

Read through Saga 1-7 the last couple days as my next catch-up book, I really like it BUT it seems to jump around a little bit.
The Will has an odd story with sextillion
I'm not even following Saga for the story anymore. It's just a book where weird stuff happens and I don't know the "rules" yet so basically anything can happen and I'd be like "OK, it's Saga."

That being said, the characters are fun and I'd stay for the art alone.

/end controversial opinion.

Wool

I'm still waiting on my Saga 10 and Black Beetle 2 to come in the mail. Based on all the Saga talk in the thread, I've just been trying to guess who is going to die.

Picked up Unwritten Vol's 1+2 and Promethea Vol's 1+2 at the library the other day. I didn't know that I was getting two comics that were both about how stories can become real if you use your imagination. For having the same central idea they are quite a bit different though. I don't really care for Unwritten. Promethea is amazing.

akira28

All you need to know is

2. Atlantis just attacked (you should read the "Throne of Atlantis" crossover between Aquaman and Justice League cause it's good) and the government is scared of that too.

3. The government is just scared of the JL in general.

I suppose you could read Justice League 9-12 to get more info on Steve Trevor. Aside from that, everything you need is in the book.

Oh did they bring back Steve? hrm...Of course they brought him back. No one else they have is closer to Diana, and she was the one who forced him away as the JLA liason....the government would still see him as an asset. And anti-JLA asset. I like where this could go. I like.

Picked up Unwritten Vol's 1+2 and Promethea Vol's 1+2 at the library the other day. I didn't know that I was getting two comics that were both about how stories can become real if you use your imagination. For having the same central idea they are quite a bit different though. I don't really care for Unwritten. Promethea is amazing.

Speaking of Unwritten, I don't know if you guys heard about Tommy Taylor & The Ship That Sank Twice. An original Unwritten graphic novel due in September.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom