• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Is Batman Inc even part of the new 52? Some folks say it is, some say it isn't? If it isn't does any of this even really matter. Plus welcome to the side of not sucking off Grant Morrison for every thing he does. Life is better here.

Chris Burnham has said multiple times on twitter that it is in the N52.

:)

Grant Morrison, screw off with your gimmicks. I didn't even like Damien until the last few comics, and you pick this time to kill him. I'll break you at your spine.

:)

Lombaszko

Man, you know how hard it is to not click on those spoilers until Wednesday?! I can pretty much guess what will happen though :(
Thanks for at least tagging those, guys.

8bit

Knows the Score
I think I'd rather see him dead and gone than someone else write him as a brat from here on in

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ugh. The biggest crime of Nu52 was fucking with the Bat-comics I was enjoying reading. DickBats (uhhh) and Robin was some mighty fun comics. Oh well DC, we'll be parting ways entirely post Inc.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Is Batman Inc even part of the new 52? Some folks say it is, some say it isn't? If it isn't does any of this even really matter. Plus welcome to the side of not sucking off Grant Morrison for every thing he does. Life is better here.

It is new52.
I don't think that being upset about this and saying "damn you!" is a criticism, it's praise. People are only upset because Morrison has told a good story, the end of which is apparently going to be upsetting.

Troll fail.

tim1138

It is new52.
I don't think that being upset about this and saying "damn you!" is a criticism, it's praise. People are only upset because Morrison has told a good story, the end of which is apparently going to be upsetting.

Troll fail.

We all knew it was coming, he's said multiple times the story would
end in tears

Grant-Morrison.jpg

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
There's a bunch of inconsistencies then aren't there? Between things that have been said and done in Inc and what's canon in the regular N52.

There are more references to current DC stuff than there are inconsistencies. Multiple references to the stuff Snyder and Tomasi are doing. The one big weird thing is that Batwing is an entirely different character. But Batwing sucks so it doesn't matter.

Try harder.

I get where he's coming from, though I don't lay the blame at Morrison's feet; the man's trying to tell a story. It's the publishers who
look at a character's tragic death and think, "wow, what an event! Call the papers! Think of all the copies we'll sell!" Not every death is a gimmick, but they're almost always perceived as one thanks to the marketing department.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I get where he's coming from, though I don't lay the blame at Morrison's feet; the man's trying to tell a story. It's the publishers who
look at a character's tragic death and think, "wow, what an event! Call the papers! Think of all the copies we'll sell!" Not every death is a gimmick, but they're almost always perceived as one thanks to the marketing department.

tbh I'm a bit sad they had to spoil it, especially after Kevin Smith took the effort to cut out what I assume is the same spoiler in his interview. It's not an event at all, it's an organic part of the story.

And DC trying to promote this book to the mainstream is utterly hilarious given how badly they mangled the trades for the run. I'd love to see a non-nerd try to figure out the first book with Damian in it and what to read next.

Fucking idiots.

Cth

I think ComicsBeat or someone said that Channel 52 spoils the events of Batman Inc this week as well.

If true, that's going to be a LOT of annoyed fans on Wednesday! :D

I understand what you're saying but do not at all see where he's coming from. His sentence directly and tautologically implies that it was Morrison's
gimmick.
A grotesque misrepresentation of reality.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Gave Saga a shot and I don't really like it. I can see why people do like it, It just doesn't do anything for me.

ReiGun

It's crazy that they did this for a story 5 years in the making.
Seriously.

Given how jaded comic fans are to death, and how little non-fans care, I don't get why Marvel and DC think this is a valid marketing method. Are there seriously a large percentage of the audience that will buy a book damn near at its end just to see a character die despite their lacking context? Who are these people?

DC and Marvel would be better served trying to grab headlines for trades and omnibuses, I think. You know, actual stories instead of story beats. But then, I'm not a marketing person. *shrug*

Seriously.

Given how jaded comic fans are to death, and how little non-fans care, I don't get why Marvel and DC think this is a valid marketing method. Are there seriously a large percentage of the audience that will buy a book damn near at its end just to see a character die despite their lacking context? Who are these people?

DC and Marvel would be better served trying to grab headlines for trades and omnibuses, I think. You know, actual stories instead of story beats. But then, I'm not a marketing person. *shrug*

Really? Have you seen the numbers on comics lately? Why would they take anything off the table when promoting comics? Oh jeepers, spoil 100,000 readers or get the eyes of millions of potential readers?

Can't...quite...figure...which....is....best!

;D

ReiGun

Really? Have you seen the numbers on comics lately? Why would they take anything off the table when promoting comics? Oh jeepers, spoil 100,000 readers or get the eyes of millions of potential readers?

Can't...quite...figure...which....is....best!

;D
I'm just saying this particular approach seems ludicrous. You anger one group, the other group goes spidermanneat.jpg and keep on keeping on. I could understand if it worked, but it clearly doesn't, given the numbers.

(I'd insert some snark of my own, but meh.)

I'm just saying this particular approach seems ludicrous. You anger one group, the other group goes spidermanneat.jpg and keep on keeping on. I could understand if it worked, but it clearly doesn't, given the numbers.

(I'd insert some snark of my own, but meh.)

The more the comics industry ignores the wilting shambles of a readership it has left, the better it is for comics.

ReiGun

The more the comics industry ignores the wilting shambles of a readership it has left, the better it is for comics.
No doubt. We're insane. But at the same token, going to someone and saying "Hey! This character you don't give a shit about does some stuff in this comic you didn't even know existed until you hopped on USA Today this morning!" isn't exactly going to light the world on fire.

There has got to be a better way to do this is my basic point. It's going to take someone smarter than me to figure it out though. (Shame, cause I would love to make some dough saving comics marketing :/ )

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
after marvel now, i trust marvel with this number one thing. i doubt they'd rock the boats too hard, so my precious hickman will remain unscathed.

So I happened to peep the latest Thor, and my god. That artwork is amazing.

Should I be reading this book?

you should be

you should also be listening to pelican & russian circles while you do

Ugh. The biggest crime of Nu52 was fucking with the Bat-comics I was enjoying reading. DickBats (uhhh) and Robin was some mighty fun comics. Oh well DC, we'll be parting ways entirely post Inc.

i miss dickbats a lot. batman is decent and green arrow is off to a nice start but i still dont "get" nu52.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom