• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
Batwoman #16 was indeed as good as reviewers/gaf/gafreviewers said it was, best issue since #5. Great panel layouts like you'd hope to find in a JHWilliams book, the story wasn't as bad as it could have been and kept moving well. Sixteen will probably be my last issue of the series though, it's not consistent enough to keep me.
It was a great issue. I'm ready for new stories though, this same shit has been going on since the book started.

Owzers

It was a great issue. I'm ready for new stories though, this same shit has been going on since the book started.

I'm also worn out from reading Swamp Thing, Animal Man, and Demon Knights. All of them are most likely dropped, even JL Dark is wearing thin for me, and Green Lantern is stuck in permanent crossovers.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

That's kind of true of a lot of DC books. That was their goal tho. I remember them talking about not writing stories for trades and making more continuously moving stories. I don't mind it for the most part as long as it's paced well and each issue manages to be engaging (examples, Wonder Woman and I Vampire) but I don't think Batwoman has maintained the high level as it hit with that first five issues.

Acid08

Banned
That's kind of true of a lot of DC books. That was their goal tho. I remember them talking about not writing stories for trades and making more continuously moving stories. I don't mind it for the most part as long as it's paced well and each issue manages to be engaging (examples, Wonder Woman and I Vampire) but I don't think Batwoman has maintained the high level as it hit with that first five issues.
That's an interesting idea but, yeah, the longer form stuff is harder to do. Harder to keep interesting.

wetwired

I posted this in the January thread but it was a bit late and likely got overlooked because of the new thread...

Any comic experts here? I've been trying to find out the name of a comic, it was a DC, possibly Detective Comics from either the 70s or early 80s. It had 2 stories in it, one with Man-Bat (I don't remember batman even being it) and the other had a parallel universe story where Bruce Wayne's parents aren't killed. It ended with a shot of a young Bruce Wayne on a swing (or perhaps a jungle gym hanging upside down) and the shadow he was casting was in the shape of Batman. It's the first comic I ever remember reading as a kid at my grandparents house.

kswiston

I've never read Peter David's X-Factor until now-12 issues in and loving it. What a great team of characters.

Did you read the mini-series that lead into the X-Factor ongoing? I can't remember for sure, but I think it was just called Multiple Man.

EDIT: I got it wrong. The title was Madrox.

I really liked X-Factor's first couple of years. It had a tight story, interesting team dynamic and great art. Now I pretend like it doesn't exist.

Owzers

x-factor was one of my favorite books in the beginning of Peter's run, then Messiah Complex happened and
Layla got sent through time and out of the book
and after that the book wasn't the same. After dropping it i gave it a few more shots, there were some good issues involving
Jamie's baby
but i never kept reading.

Acid08

Banned
6f0332106bf111e2b55122000a1f9be7_7.jpg

Stegman posted that on his tumblr. Lion-O or Snikt Snikt Bub?

Yeah, looks like the Owl to me

250px-Owlmaleev.jpg

Doc Ock's best story was that Ock-Owl gangland war stuff back in the day, maybe they'll build on that

Vio-Lence

Banned
Spike should have featured Thor the God of Thunder in the OP. By far the best Marvel Now Book. Just finished reading issue 4. Man Aaron and Ribic are really knocking it out. Can't wait for 5.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Spike should have featured Thor the God of Thunder in the OP. By far the best Marvel Now Book. Just finished reading issue 4. Man Aaron and Ribic are really knocking it out. Can't wait for 5.

Yeah I just caught up on that as well. Good stuff for sure.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I loved the first arc. it got lost in crossover hell for a while and I decided to begin tradewaiting it. I haven't checked to see when the second volume comes out in trade. All my friends who still read it monthly say it hasn't really rebounded so I've got low expectations.

Amazon's got volume 2 on April 2nd, so a week before a stores.

Batwoman #16 was indeed as good as reviewers/gaf/gafreviewers said it was, best issue since #5. Great panel layouts like you'd hope to find in a JHWilliams book, the story wasn't as bad as it could have been and kept moving well. Sixteen will probably be my last issue of the series though, it's not consistent enough to keep me.

Do we know who's the artist on the next arc? I really despise DC for trying to get artists to copy JH3. It never works for them. If they had kept Amy Reeder on that book would be amazing. The guy who the replaced her with just tried to do JH3 panels and lost control of the entire story.

Owzers

Do we know who's the artist on the next arc? I really despise DC for trying to get artists to copy JH3. It never works for them. If they had kept Amy Reeder on that book would be amazing. The guy who the replaced her with just tried to do JH3 panels and lost control of the entire story.

#19 has Trevor McCarthy apparently.

Dark Horse is putting out deluxe hardcovers of Star Wars Legacy, I read the first 3 tpbs and they were surprisingly good. Only downside, they are listed as 6''x9''......that is not deluxe. So either dark horse forgot what deluxe means, or the measurements are wrong.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

The series has been flawless since the start. Any idea if Ribic plans on leaving at any time?

Read most of the TPBs, and they're my favorite Punisher stories. At least check out the Slavers arc.

So damn true. My personal favourites from Ennis' run are Up Is Down Black is White, Slavers and Widowmaker. The biggest gripe I have with the run is the art in Barracuda and The Long Cold Dark, because the art in both books is simply horrendous.

frye

So damn true. My personal favourites from Ennis' run are Up Is Down Black is White, Slavers and Widowmaker. The biggest gripe I have with the run is the art in Barracuda and The Long Cold Dark, because the art in both books is simply horrendous.

No way. Parlov is the shit.

Amazon's got volume 2 on April 2nd, so a week before a stores.

Why thank you. Hmmm I need to plan some purchases... I think I'll buy some stuff in march to coincide with (I think) unwritten 7 and then in may I'll buy another pile of trades.

Acid08

Banned
Mara #2

Cool issue, the potential for something great is there. Just have to wait and see if Wood can pull through. I like the art mostly but there are some inconsistencies, specifically people's arms look weird and bend the wrong way.

Owzers

I'm starting to turn on All New X-Men, I get a worse opinion of it now that i'm six issues in and not much of anything has happened. Definitely a book where Bendis just has everyone repeating the same things over and over again, all that's missing is them eating pizza.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm starting to turn on All New X-Men, I get a worse opinion of it now that i'm six issues in and not much of anything has happened. Definitely a book where Bendis just has everyone repeating the same things over and over again, all that's missing is them eating pizza.

It should pick up once Uncanny hits, then it'll have the dual story lines and stuff should actually happen.

Owzers

It should pick up once Uncanny hits, then it'll have the dual story lines and stuff should actually happen.

more likely Bendis will split his ideas into two books diluting the quality of both....but i will be finding out myself, especially with Irving doing the artwork on future Uncanny Issues.

Acid08

Banned
winter-soldier-volume-1-longest-winter-cover-brubaker-guice.jpg

Finally got around to reading this, it was fucking great. Spies, VON DOOM, gorillas with guns, and some great art. The dialogue between Fury and Doom was some of my favorite stuff in this volume, Doom in general was just the fucking best. Going to pick up the second volume this week but the third doesn't come out until April 2nd :(. I guess I could just track down the single issues for about the same price. They shouldn't be too hard to find.

Anyone getting snapshot?

Diggle/Jock is usually a good combo, but I have been less impressed with Diggle as of late.

The description on Image's website also sounds rather dull.

WORLDS FINEST #9
Green Arrow #17
x-factor-251
new avengers-3
Avengers-5
all-new x-men
superior spider-man

Avengers/NA in the same week damn

This weeks Marvel. Previews here. I'm picking up the bolded.

Fearless Defenders #1 is out. Everyone needs to support this. DANI MOONSTAR: SHE MUST NOT BE FORGOTTEN

Last week for Ultimate Spider-Man to not bore me, but I'm not expecting it. And after this issue of Avengers/New Avengers, I might drop them. The Hickman conspiracy world-ending stuff is not interesting to me.

All-New X-Men #7
Avengers #5
Avengers Assemble Annual #1
Daredevil: End of Days #5
Fearless Defenders #1
Hit-Girl 2 #5
Iron Man #6
New Avengers #3
Red She-Hulk #62
Road to Oz #5
Secret Avengers #37
Superior Spider-Man #3