• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman

Marvel has/had the monopoly on characters with depth.

Vertigo.

I liked that Howard the Duck story, but eventually this whole Nexus of Realities stuff got boring to me, including early Excalibur. I think I stopped 6 issues into Howard. Not a big fan of anthology series played for humor. I'm curious how long into the run you can stay on board.

-GJ-

I ordered my first comic in like, 10 years or something. I chose Batman: The Court of Owls. I hope I made the right choice to get back into the comic game, haha.

Any other recommendations?

I ordered my first comic in like, 10 years or something. I chose Batman: The Court of Owls. I hope I made the right choice to get back into the comic game, haha.

I enjoyed it but a lot of people around here don't.

If I could make 2 recommendations:
The Cosmic Marvel saga
Hickman's run on Fantastic Four/FF

If you're looking for recent titles, Marvel recently did a creative relaunch called Marvel Now and the majority of these titles are great. All-New X-Men, Thor: God of Thunder, Avengers, New Avengers, Captain America and Haweye are all phenomenal and you'd need to catch up 4 or 5 issues each.

Uncanny Avengers is the flagpole title in Marvel Now but it hasn't received a very warm welcome around here, and its beset with delays. I happen to like it-it's its definitely the weakest of the new bunch.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I enjoyed it but a lot of people around here don't.

If I could make 2 recommendations:
The Cosmic Marvel saga
Hickman's run on Fantastic Four/FF

If you're looking for recent titles, Marvel recently did a creative relaunch called Marvel Now and the majority of these titles are great. All-New X-Men, Thor: God of Thunder, Avengers, New Avengers, Captain America and Haweye are all phenomenal and you'd need to catch up 4 or 5 issues each.

Uncanny Avengers is bad.

this is an excellent post GJ, but let us know what you used to read / if you want to pick up new monthly issues or the "best of" graphic novels of the last 10 years.

if you like court of owls and want more batman, detective comics: the black mirror is fantastic.

hawkeye is the best comic, so consider that a "must read"

Owzers

getting caught up on Batman Inc, I love it so far and it rivals Wonder Woman for my favorite DC book. I should have reread Batman Inc vol 1 OHC before jumping back in after so long, but it does feel like a second act and i'm good. I'll read it all again one day once this arc is collected in an OHC presuming dc doesn't suck and ignores OHCs in general.

I'm doing well in comic-land atm, got caught up on Daredevil, Batman Inc, and Saga these last few days as my only comic reading until my dcbs shipment comes in next week. Too bad Batman Inc #8 was spoiled everywhere. CNN even had a 20 second thing on, you can't have a news segment start with "spoiler alert" and then directly spoil it. Don't bother with the alert, it's not like anyone is going to dive for the remote, you're not actually doing any alerting. Instead, networks should outright spoil it since that is their intention.

Troll

Banned

Are you looking to start up with trades or go month to month?

We over here at Comic-Gaf are going to take care of you.

What did you read/like before?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

If you liked it the second part of the arc is coming out next month as a trade.

Really any suggestions other than Hawkeye will depend on what you like. If you liked The Court of Owls then you should probably pick up Talon. It continues the fight against the Court with a protagonist that used to be a Talon himself. Issue five hits this week so if you want to try it there isn't a lot to catch up on.

If you like Marvel then just pick up any of the MarvelNOW books as they're all great. There hasn't really been a bad one yet which is good and bad.

There's also stuff like Saga, but knowing what you're into would help with the suggestions.

If you liked it the second part of the arc is coming out next month as a trade.

Really any suggestions other than Hawkeye will depend on what you like. If you liked The Court of Owls then you should probably pick up Talon. It continues the fight against the Court with a protagonist that used to be a Talon himself. Issue five hits this week so if you want to try it there isn't a lot to catch up on.

If you like Marvel then just pick up any of the MarvelNOW books as they're all great. There hasn't really been a bad one yet which is good and bad.

There's also stuff like Saga, but knowing what you're into would help with the suggestions.
You haven't read Thunderbolts or Deadpool yet than brah.

Anyone just get stunned when reading comics? I was reading JL the other day and was in utter amazement of Reis' art. As someone who can't draw a stick figure, it's like standing at the edge of the Pacific Ocean.

Gartooth

Really enjoying All New X-Men right now, and I'm thinking about picking up Uncanny, but I haven't heard that many positive things about it. Is it worth trying out?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Really enjoying All New X-Men right now, and I'm thinking about picking up Uncanny, but I haven't heard that many positive things about it. Is it worth trying out?

it's not as good as anxm but it's just getting started. i'd give it 3 issues, but because the focus is on terrible cyke it may not get as good as anxm.

I feel that way about the art in Thor. It doesn't seem like it would be possible.

when Thor ran into his old, massive, god-friend i audibly gasped.

it's not as good as anxm but it's just getting started. i'd give it 3 issues, but because the focus is on terrible cyke it may not get as good as anxm.

Even though I'm not a huge Cyclops fan, I enjoyed the first issue of Uncanny quite a bit. I think the plot on this one has some real potential.

Anyone just get stunned when reading comics? I was reading JL the other day and was in utter amazement of Reis' art. As someone who can't draw a stick figure, it's like standing at the edge of the Pacific Ocean.

This is how I felt when I read Earth X for the first time...not because of the art, but because of the scope of the premise. I mean it explains EVERYTHING, MAN.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So Peter Tomasi, writer of Batman and Robin, gave an interview to CBR today after the New York Post leaked plot details from the next issue of Batman Inc. It's an interesting read. Be warned, there are spoiler in there for both Batman Inc and the future of Batman and Robin. So read at your own risk.

Also Mark Waid is doing a Green Hornet series. It's set in the 1940's and sounds good.

Caught up on last week's comics. God damn Thor #5 and Daredevil #23 annihilated. That's comics man. Daredevil should win the Eisner for best single issue. Superior keeps getting better for all the doubters.

Still don't understand Action Comics this week haha

Jamie Maddrox definitely has the best super power from a practical standpoint. The possibilities are endless-one man army, with time and money you can become an expert in everything, you can easily break into places, and ride in the carpool lane anytime.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Good choice, I think this is a great Batman story. Let us know what you thought of it and we can give you pointers where to go next. Stick to the books!

-GJ-

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I will check them all out. The problem is I don't have a lot of money to spend at the moment, so getting a new volume of a comic every week or month isn't possible for me. I'd rather get a bundle of a couple volumes like I did with The Court of Owls. Hopefully it'll be here next week.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I will check them all out. The problem is I don't have a lot of money to spend at the moment, so getting a new volume of a comic every week or month isn't possible for me. I'd rather get a bundle of a couple volumes like I did with The Court of Owls. Hopefully it'll be here next week.

Yeah fella, take your time. The problem with us is that we're all hardcore nerds with far too much free money and so we always get into "You need to read this twelve volume story right now it's so good!!"

Comics will always be there, you don't gotta rush.

Maybe try your local library for some cheap reads?

RC

Banned
This is how I felt when I read Earth X for the first time...not because of the art, but because of the scope of the premise. I mean it explains EVERYTHING, MAN.

I felt the same way. Earth X is easily one of the best books to ever come out of Marvel.

-GJ-

Yeah fella, take your time. The problem with us is that we're all hardcore nerds with far too much free money and so we always get into "You need to read this twelve volume story right now it's so good!!"

Comics will always be there, you don't gotta rush.

Maybe try your local library for some cheap reads?

Yeah I'm going to try this Batman comic out first :). It's been a while since I read a comic though. I'm 22 now, the last time would be when I was around 12-13 I think. I never really got into the superhero comics and a couple years ago the local comic shop closed up shop so all I have right now is the internet, haha. I used to read a lot of manga a couple years ago, but most of the time I got bored after a couple volumes.

Anyway, thanks again for all the suggestions, ComicGAF :).

bjones

Neo Member
Hi guys. Long time lurker, first time post. Anybody else enjoying Superior Spider-Man as much as I am? Gotta admit, I hated how ASM ended and didn't want to give this a chance. But I love it. Real interesting dynamic with Otto at the helm.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Earth X is awesome in terms of sheer ambition. Near the end it get a bit convoluted but along the way there's some amazing character exploration.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Does anyone know of a good way to read Mark Waid's Flash run other than tracking down the actual issues or out of print trades?

kswiston

Hopefully this is just a weekly Marvel team-up style comic. I would be extremely pissed if Marvel rebooted their continuity. It also would makes no sense in the middle of Marvel Now!

A weekly comic could be cool though. It would depend who they have writing.

ElNarez

Banned
I could see it being a new 52. As in, the weekly comic. As in, taking pot shots at the competition is kind of a Stephen Wacker thing so I'm expecting things.

So, March thread is coming up in a few days... anyone got a book they'd like to spotlight? Also, I've got no "Bullhorn" segment prepared so if you're interested then step up.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I'm betting on the introduction of a hermaphroditic Wolverine clone called XXY-52.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Waid's Daredevil has gradually been getting pretty dark. Fell in love with the book because of its sense of whimsy and lightheartedness but ever since the start of the Coyote stuff it has started to feel more dour. This latest stuff with Foggy, man. Making me :( for real.

8bit

Knows the Score
So, March thread is coming up in a few days... anyone got a book they'd like to spotlight? Also, I've got no "Bullhorn" segment prepared so if you're interested then step up.

I've got something in mind for the bullhorn but I dunno if I can get it together in a couple of days as I am swamped with real life work. Will try as it is pretty timely though.

Owzers

Waid's Daredevil has gradually been getting pretty dark. Fell in love with the book because of its sense of whimsy and lightheartedness but ever since the start of the Coyote stuff it has started to feel more dour. This latest stuff with Foggy, man. Making me :( for real.

Hawkguy is getting aids in the next issue, but he only finds this out after the severed head of Kate is mailed to his doorstep. WHIMSY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom