• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit of a mixed opinion on this around here, I reckon? But generally well received and some folks really like it. I read the first volume. It held my attention but by the end I didn't care to read further.

Yeah, I mean, there are 13 TPBs and I think I got to the point where I just wanted it to be over somewhere around book 9 or 10. I would highly recommend Scalped as a much better alternative.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I have a problem. I buy more TPBs before I finish my backlog. I ordered the following:

Doom Patrol Vol 1
Punisher Max Vol 1 HC by Garth Ennis
Transformers:Robots in Disguise Vol 1

Dead

well not really...yet
What's a good Absolute edition from DC that you guys recommend? I've never got an oversized book, so I don't know what's series to try it out. I read so many discussions on binding and paper quality that it's a bit overwhelming.
New Frontier

I have a problem. I buy more TPBs before I finish my backlog. I ordered the following:

Doom Patrol Vol 1

This is my problem with Omnibus'. It's going to take me several years to get through what I have now and new shit keeps arriving.

Doom Patrol Vol 1

This is me too. Haven't finished the TPBs I ordered last week, but today I ended up ordering:

Planetary Omnibus HC
Unknown Soldier TP Vol 1
Green Lantern: Rebirth TP

Just had to grab Planetary since all the talk it's been getting, and it'll be my first Omni. I loved Transmetropolitan, so I'm hoping it's on that level. I want to eventually get all of Johns GL run in trades (I've only read Sinestro Corps War to Brightest Day, but loved it), so I'm probably going to throw one in when I place orders at instock. Heard the talk about Unknown Soldier and figured that was worth a look. Sometimes I'm jealous of all you guys and your pull lists, but having just gotten into comics in the past 2 years I love getting trades and collected editions of the great stuff I've missed.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Best concept. Best mythology. Best dialogue. Best art. Best ending/final page to a finite series ever.

Oh my lord, the people that fall for this hyperbole are going to hate themselves 80 issues in. It's a great series, but it fucking drags like a dying dog after a certain point. Somebody said it like a page back, but the 100 issues thing is a gimmick more than anything else. There weren't 100 issues worth of good story.

my loot from buy 1 get 1 for 31 cents this weekend

I8vwKvh.jpg

I can't decide what I want to order from IST tomorrow. It's either going to be:

Infinity HC + Locke & Key Vol.6 w/slipcase

or

Red Lanterns Vol.1-3 + Locke & Key Vol.6 w/slipcase + TMNT Ongoing Vol.6

I can't decide what I want to order from IST tomorrow. It's either going to be:

Infinity HC + Locke & Key Vol.6 w/slipcase

or

Red Lanterns Vol.1-3 + Locke & Key Vol.6 w/slipcase + TMNT Ongoing Vol.6

I thought Red Lantern only recently got good? I haven't read any of those except Locke & Key, which is obviously fantastic.

I thought Red Lantern only recently got good? I haven't read any of those except Locke & Key, which is obviously fantastic.

I kinda wanna play catch-up on Red Lanterns, though. I'm looking forward to the Supergirl thing. Or maybe I should just pick up Red Lanterns #21-28 for that.

I kinda wanna play catch-up on Red Lanterns, though. I'm looking forward to the Supergirl thing. Or maybe I should just pick up Red Lanterns #21-28 for that.

Yeah, I understand that. Since I read everything in trades I try to spend most of my money on stuff I hear good things about, but at the same time there's books I enjoy I don't think are popular or well received (Nightwing). I'm waiting for Green Arrow Vol 4 before I start that series. At least with instock the discount makes picking up a questionable book easier. Wish DC was faster getting their trades out.

Doom Patrol Vol 1

I know what that's like, I've become addicted to hardcovers. I want to get the Hawkeye and Daredevil OHC's but I'm going to hold myself back til next month.

#HeavyBreathing

Owzers

dcbs updated for April books!

50% off getting:
Amazing Spidey #1
Coffin Hill tp vol 1 ( 4.99 for 7 issues!)
Invincible #111

maybe also getting Red Lanterns Soule tp, Pretty Deadly vol 1, Iron Fist #1?!?

then a ton of other stuff. Oddly DC trades are all 50% off but no Marvel trades are discounted extra this month :( And it's Daredevil vol 3 OHC month!

Owzers

I didn't think the series was that bad. Or are they trying the Image approach with dat introductory price?

Intro price hype, but i love msrp 9.99 trades that are half off Xo. Makes buying them so much easier. Pretty Deadly vol 1 is 4.99 too at dcbs, Velvet vol 1 is 5.99 since it didn't make the 50% off list.

Owzers

i skipped it, among many other titles.

skip list so far for April ordering:
50% off: Angel and Faith #1, Aquaman and the others #1, Batman Eternal #1, Elektra 1, Hulk 1, Inhuman 1, Iron Fist 1, Sinestro 1, X-Men Legacy #1, Field #1

reg: Southern Bastards 1, Shutter 1, Dream Police JMS #1, Justice League United combo pack 1, Detective Comics #30 Manapul start, All new Doop 1 of 5, Gotg 14 with Venom joining.

And i'm skipping Original Sin #0 so far....we'll see if i add it.

Batman Eternal is a tough sell because i don't want to add 4 books to my list to accommodate DC's aggressiveness.

Are you ever going to finish the February OT title card, Spike?

Yes I am, Other Spike. Yes I am. And I'll thank you to stop stealing my socks.

*twitch*

99 cent Lucifer comixology sale! Can anyone tell me if I should splurge? I actually read the first two absolute editions of Sandman and they weren't for me, would I still like Lucifer?

Oh, and can someone tell me if the TMNT micro series are worth it? I'm devouring the ongoing but I guess there are a lot of micro-series out as well. When it comes to the Big 2 books, mini-series typically end up being crap, so I am wary.

Oh, and can someone tell me if the TMNT micro series are worth it? I'm devouring the ongoing but I guess there are a lot of micro-series out as well. When it comes to the Big 2 books, mini-series typically end up being crap, so I am wary.

I'm not really into them personally. They're basically just trades made up of a bunch of one-and-done books with a focus on a specific character. You could do worse, though. Definitely check out Secret History of the Foot Clan, that one was a good read.

Intro price hype, but i love msrp 9.99 trades that are half off Xo. Makes buying them so much easier. Pretty Deadly vol 1 is 4.99 too at dcbs, Velvet vol 1 is 5.99 since it didn't make the 50% off list.

Is DCBS the same company as instock? Those are both trades I need, will they be roughly the same price on instock when they're out?

Owzers

Is DCBS the same company as instock? Those are both trades I need, will they be roughly the same price on instock when they're out?

They might make it to instock's new release week specials, but only a few books make those each week. I wouldn't say it's a sure thing, but probable.Roughly though, if not 50% off release week then 40%. DCBS and instock are the same company though.

I don't know if I should pull the trigger on Batman Eternal...

I don't know why I am tempted to read it. I don't even read any Bat books. But there is something very tempting about jumping on a new weekly event series organized by the current big DC Cheese. I mean.. What if it's another 52 level event? Even a few notches below that might make it worth following. And you need to take into account the value of engaging with in the community discussion as things unfold.

In any case everybody should read Red Lanterns from #21! You don't need to know anything about Lanterns or the earlier volumes specifically. Doesn't matter that there is a tie-in issue - doesn't derail the story in any troublesome way.

It's just a really fun good Guy gone.. Red story. Soule breathes life into the characters and their interactions. It's a book with humour and heart and.. yeah.

Is there a site that's good for getting the idea of prices? Someone on ebay is selling like 80 issues of the cable series for $34 which seems absurdly cheap so I'm tempted to buy it. Issues look in pretty good shape.

Toa TAK

Banned
I wasn't reading it at the time (actually haven't followed ASM since "Sins Past"), but I think they were using rotating writers to keep up with the weekly schedule and the result was a mixed bag.
I can see how this would be a problem.
They weren't bad or anything. You just don't realize how much a weekly series will wear on the attention-span. There is such a thing as over-indulgence, even if it's a series you really like.

That and the extra cost, too. But even so, I never thought about it like that.

Owzers

i read a few arcs of three spidey issues a month, it read like a bunch of people trying to tell as many spider stories in the quickest time possible.

They weren't bad or anything. You just don't realize how much a weekly series will wear on the attention-span. There is such a thing as over-indulgence, even if it's a series you really like.

This is pretty much how I felt about it. The series felt like a anthology with the constant artist changes and radically different story arcs. What ended up happening for me was I only enjoyed certain writers writing certain characters (Joe Kelly writing Harry Osborne was good stuff).

Also a lot of creative decisions soured me further on the series, like MJ's first appearance post OMD (it was infuriating and a waste of time), the dumb red herring of Jackpot. Carlie. Menace. Freak. Guggenheim. Gale.

It was dark times...

I look forward to Peter coming back.

Gusy ,what exactly is going on with Matt Fraction at Marvel? I haven't really been paying too much attention. I did read about the whole Inhuman thing, him getting replaced by Soule for disagreements over plot direction, but I just spotted that he left Fantastic Four and FF early too? I had no idea about that.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Is there a site that's good for getting the idea of prices? Someone on ebay is selling like 80 issues of the cable series for $34 which seems absurdly cheap so I'm tempted to buy it. Issues look in pretty good shape.

Well in terms of dollars to paper that's a pretty good deal. I definitely don't think you could get that much paper for less.

But Cable... might not be very good, just a warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom