• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Good question, I have a bunch of omnibus and hardcover editions myself and I've just been keeping them on a bookshelf upright. Hopefully that isn't too damaging to them over the long run.

If these fucking things can't sit upright on a bookshelf, what use are they? It's bad enough that so many of them use binding made by children as arts and crafts projects...

Owzers

Is there a recommended storage method for maintaining Absolute and Omnibus editions? I read on another forum that displaying Omnibus editions vertically, for example, can cause the pages to droop and weaken the binding over time. Obviously I want to avoid this. I recieved my first Omnibus for Christmas, DC One Million, but I also have Fantastic Four (Jonathan Hickman) Omnibus, a number of the Invincible Ultimate Collections and Powers, Definitive Hardcover Collections. I just want to be sure I'm maintaining their binding.

I read that cutting out a thin cardboard piece to put under the bottom pages helps with sagging, i can't say how my results were since some of my books were sagging before i started doing that Xo. Just make sure the piece isn't too thick so it's not pushing up the pages too much, perfect fit between the front and back cover!

Messi

Anyone reading X-Factor? I don't think i'd be reading this if Gambit wasn't in it. Is he in any regular current X book?

__

Looking through my old box of floppies from a few years back when I took a break and it seems I bought every Deadpool book :/, Stephanie Batgirl, Gotham City Sirens and I seem to have floppies of the first 6 Morrison Batman and Robin.

No way, nu52 costumes are sleek and cool. I don't want to see underwear.

What's wrong with old costumes?

CosmicBoy1.jpg

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Anyone reading X-Factor? I don't think i'd be reading this if Gambit wasn't in it. Is he in any regular current X book?

__

Looking through my old box of floppies from a few years back when I took a break and it seems I bought every Deadpool book :/, Stephanie Batgirl, Gotham City Sirens and I seem to have floppies of the first 6 Morrison Batman and Robin.

I miss Sirens.

Is Dini doing anything right now?
I'd read pretty much anything by him.

I think he has a graphic novel coming out pretty soon at DC. Wouldn't be surprised if he's working on the next Rocksteady game too. Guy has his hands spinning so many plates though. I've been rewatching season 1 of Lost lately, nice every time his name comes up at the beginning of the credits.

__

I've been reading X-Factor, it's ok so far. It hasn't really done much so it's hard to say if it's any good. I sort of hate quicksilver so I don't know. And this should be the only current thing that gambit is in right now, this was supposed to be his big reboot to having him in a current series from what I remember.

Messi

I've been reading X-Factor, it's ok so far. It hasn't really done much so it's hard to say if it's any good. I sort of hate quicksilver so I don't know. And this should be the only current thing that gambit is in right now, this was supposed to be his big reboot to having him in a current series from what I remember.

I'll get the next issue because of Gambit and Cats.

Secret #5 crawls to stores this week, anyone got it on their list for this week? I can't wait for this thing to finish and hit trade. Part of me wonders how it can possibly be anything but a disjointed mess just because Hickman style storytelling + those delays is terrifying, but still. It was originally supposed to be his second image ongoing alongside Manhattan Projects. Imo that was the point Hickman really took a step up with his storytelling, so I really want to read it.

What time machine do you have that you instantly know JRJR on nu52 will suck?

The drawing he did of Superman that's been released looks totally weird because the style of nu52 costumes does not mesh well with his aesthetic.

My time machine is….my iPad mini retina? There's…………………….……………….……………….……………….……………….……………….……………….……………….……………….……………….……………….……………….……………….……………….……………….……………….……………….……………….a web browser on it………………….?

Ephidel

All New X-Factor hasn't quite grabbed me yet but I really enjoyed (most of) the previous X-Factor run so I'm going to give it a chance to get going -- plus it's Peter David writing Quicksilver (who I have the advantage of liking) on a regular basis, which automatically gives it a bit more leeway than most series.
And, based on the second issue
then he might finally have to take some responsibility for his actions and deal with the repercussions instead of blaming it all on a skrull. I mean, I kind of like that he's dodgy enough to have used that excuse without blinking, but he still deserved to be called out on it sooner or later and I'm kind of interested in seeing whether that will go anywhere
I'll get the next issue because of Gambit and Cats.
Have you seen the preview art too?
So cute :) ... and then so like normal cats :p

All New X-Factor hasn't quite grabbed me yet but I really enjoyed (most of) the previous X-Factor run so I'm going to give it a chance to get going -- plus it's Peter David writing Quicksilver (who I have the advantage of liking) on a regular basis, which automatically gives it a bit more leeway than most series.
And, based on the second issue
then he might finally have to take some responsibility for his actions and deal with the repercussions instead of blaming it all on a skrull. I mean, I kind of like that he's dodgy enough to have used that excuse without blinking, but he still deserved to be called out on it sooner or later and I'm kind of interested in seeing whether that will go anywhere

Have you seen the preview art too?
So cute :) ... and then so like normal cats :p

Yeah, it hasn't really grabbed me yet either but I think they're just trying to get things set up, especially after the second issue. I'm really hoping it's going to be good, I miss gambit. :(

Edit: Is it official that Gambit holding the cats is the main cover? I'm going to have to hunt down a place that has variants if it isn't. :(

Goddam The Green Team would've been so much better if it didn't take seven issues for everyone to be powered up. That Iron Man reject was not strong enough to carry the book.

One hand I am excited the X-Books could get a good editor from the Bats editor, on the other hand.... how many books are Nick Lowe going to destroy from the built up Spidey line that Wacker has done? DD, Hawkeye, Superior foes, New Warrior, and a whole lot more.

I'm trying to because I love PAD but I'm really really iffy on Gambit and Quicksilver...
They should get Namor on there with them and rename to shithead-Factor.

wait maybe they should try an all troll team. All new Sleaze Factor

I'm trying to because I love PAD but I'm really really iffy on Gambit and Quicksilver...

Gambit is awesome :mad:

And it seems like they'll be 2 or 3 more members eventually so hopefully that gets revealed soon. I agree that Quicksilver is meh.

How dare you compare the greatness of Quicksilver and Namor to someone as terrible as Gambit.

phoenixyz

LL: Late List
Batman Black&White #6
Batman: Jokers Daughter
Detective Comics #28
Forever Evil #5
Forever Evil: Arkham War #5
Iron Man #21

Owzers

I've never been a JRJR fan, but I'll give it a shot. I remember how pissed I was a kid when I got Uncanny X-Men #300 and he had taken over on art. His characters always seemed weirdly blocky to me.

Blocky is a good description of Romita Jr.'s art. Sometimes i like it, sometimes it bugs me.

If these fucking things can't sit upright on a bookshelf, what use are they? It's bad enough that so many of them use binding made by children as arts and crafts projects...

What is this about binding?! I love my hardcovers...I mean I REALLY love them and for a moment there My gut instinct was to panic due to the potential damage my hardcovers might be doing to themselves from simply existing and being stored upright. Whats worse was that I was powerless to stop them due to a fundamental lack of undrstanding about books.

Then I caught myself on and thought about it a bit more and realised that realistically, in our lifetimes, they arent going to get massively damaged from being stored upright. Books, hardbacked books at that, of often higher value and greater age and some with lesser bindings have been stored for longer periods upright with minimal/negligible damage. Otherwise I/we would have heard of this self destructive plight of the hardcovers

I completely understand that Marvel's omnibus editions (as an example) are beasts with a good weight to their paper stock particularly in the quantities included in them. I agree that there could be some damage to them over extended periods of time, I dont think I will be rushing out to stabilise them with cardboard inserts, but for those that are going that far, for the love of all things comic related go acid free, and while you are at it, it might be inportant to control for light, temperature and humidity. So go on, hermetically seal your library.

Having said that, the really large format books(e.g. Size of DC's Wednesday Comics) are probably best stored flat.

Also interesting site here about storage and handling of books:

http://www.nedcc.org/free-resources...ng/4.1-storage-methods-and-handling-practices

BJK

I've never been a JRJR fan, but I'll give it a shot. I remember how pissed I was a kid when I got Uncanny X-Men #300 and he had taken over on art. His characters always seemed weirdly blocky to me.

Your newsletter, I would like to subscribe to it.

There is a good interview with Johns and JR at IGN.

If you had to come up with a tagline for this book, what would it be?

Johns: For me, as far as the story goes, my tagline for the story is "Putting the Man of Tomorrow back in the Man of Tomorrow." It's really looking at Superman and getting back to the core values and attributes and strengths of Superman. Really, the Man of Tomorrow is the theme, for me, that we're going to tackle in this first storyline.

365250 Tomorrows, perhaps, Geoff? Eh? EEEH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom