• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got around to reading the first 10 issues of the Daken series. He's such a little turd. I kinda enjoy it though.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Guys, Unknown Soldier is incredible. How is there no damn omnibus for this series?

Reading that and Planetary is making this an incredible comics week.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
You are reading some god tier comics this week my friend.

I know! I was trying to talk about Planetary yesterday but it got buried. Great stuff so far.

I feel like my brain is being overwhelmed by Unknown Soldier, though. Issue one is one of the hardest hitting introductory issues I've read in a long time.

I know! I was trying to talk about Planetary yesterday but it got buried. Great stuff so far.

I feel like my brain is being overwhelmed by Unknown Soldier, though. Issue one is one of the hardest hitting introductory issues I've read in a long time.

Oh shit, are you only on issue 1 man? Haha! You have so much to come! Unknown Soldier literally is incredible. It's one of the few comics I've read that I really feel transcends the medium and should be given to kids at school to teach them things about the world. It is a truly great story that is extremely illuminating.

He'll yes unknown soldier. Secret best vertigo comic .
There is a great who dun it later in the series

One of the most t hard hitting and emotional com is I have read

tim1138

Oh shit, are you only on issue 1 man? Haha! You have so much to come! Unknown Soldier literally is incredible. It's one of the few comics I've read that I really feel transcends the medium and should be given to kids at school to teach them things about the world. It is a truly great story that is extremely illuminating.

I maintain that the issue told from the POV of
an AK-47
, is the single greatest comic issue ever. That could have been so hokey and heavy handed, yet was amazingly poignant and moving.

I thought WATXM was ending?

It's relaunching in March, isn't it? I've added Amazing X-Men and was going to add WATXM based on recommendations but wanted to wait for the relaunch.

yo he has a gun and will fight street gangs mobeius style

My one exception would be for a gun that shoots claws.

Anybody read the newest Adventure of Superman with Max Landis writing and Jock on art? Involves the Joker in Metropolis. I bought the 2 issues and will read them later.

That's next in my pile.

tim1138

If you can believe it, Unknown Soldier only gets better.

Where are you at in Planetary?

Filthy Slug

Sir, I am on issue 3! You guys weren't kidding when you said it holds up with every other Vertigo classic. I love the
dual personality angle, especially since the Unknown Solider is an adept fighter so far. The dueling dialogue boxes and representations on panel are done so damn well, and really utilizes the medium perfectly.

New volume in a few months with Jason Latour on words and Mahmud Asrar on art.

Oh shit that's right. Mahmud Asrar is another artist whose style I've fallen absolutely in love with. I'm still pretty salty that he left Supergirl. He did an amazing Kara. Sweet bonus.

If you've seen the covers past the first, you know the answer to that, but I'm not spoiling it here.

I haven't. Simply added it (the relaunch version) to my pull list and forgot about it until recently.

OMFG

if you don't read this comic wthhhh

ACPxvWw.jpg

ElNarez

Banned
So ever since I've started paying attention to the Comic of the Month voting I felt the need to make the job easier on myself by cataloguing all my lists, so: list.

Action Comics #28
Batman Black & White #6
Detective Comics #28
Earth 2 #20
Forever Evil #5
Green Arrow #28
Green Lantern/Red Lanterns #28
Swamp Thing #28
Trillium #6

Lazarus #6

All-New Invaders #2
Black Widow #3
Captain America #16
Iron Man #21
Loki Agent of Asgard #1
Mighty Avengers #6
Ms. Marvel #1
New Avengers #14
Punisher #1
Superior Foes of Spider-Man #8

Man all I can wish for is for some of these books to turn into things I'm totally not into so I can remove some books from this list.

Filthy Slug

Yeah, Recently Damian Son of Batman received 2 stars.

Kubert should be ashamed for that unholy turd. I wonder how many Damian/Batman fans bought that and how they feel about supporting that piece of horseshit.

Kubert should be ashamed for that unholy turd. I wonder how many Damian/Batman fans bought that and how they feel about supporting that piece of horseshit.

I avoided it initially, before reviews, simply on the feeling that I don't want anything else Damian (outside of flashbacks) until his real return. I want to enjoy the quiet melancholy of missing him.

Ant Colony HC by Michael DeForge and published by Drawn and Quarterly is out this week! OMFG been waiting ages for this. Have a seat, floppies. This will be queued up first. 'Course one could just read the thing for free online if they fancy. But I have to have it. I have to own it. I have to touch it.

If my LCS gets Red Light Properties GN, I might have to snap it up. I'm a sucker for ghost stories and, judging by the previews, it looks rad.

On to the rest of the list:

Shame that y'all are sleeping on Dark Horse
Bloodhound Crowbar Medicine #4 of 5 ('bout to pop off!)
Grindhouse Doors Open at Midnight #5 of 8
Juice Squeezers #2 of 4

Lazarus #6
Drumheller #4

Detective Comics
Trillium #6 of 8
DC Comics Presents Harley Quinn #1

Prestigious Others:
Archie #652
Ms Marvel #1

Messi

Ant Colony HC by Michael DeForge and published by Drawn and Quarterly is out this week! OMFG been waiting ages for this. Have a seat, floppies. This will be queued up first. 'Course one could just read the thing for free online if they fancy. But I have to have it. I have to own it. I have to touch it.

If my LCS gets Red Light Properties GN, I might have to snap it up. I'm a sucker for ghost stories and, judging by the previews, it looks rad.

On to the rest of the list:

Shame that y'all are sleeping on Dark Horse
Bloodhound Crowbar Medicine #4 of 5 ('bout to pop off!)
Grindhouse Doors Open at Midnight #5 of 8
Juice Squeezers #2 of 4

Lazarus #6
Drumheller #4

Detective Comics
Trillium #6 of 8
DC Comics Presents Harley Quinn #1

Prestigious Others:
Archie #652
Ms Marvel #1

Nice well balanced list.

Filthy Slug

What's a good Absolute edition from DC that you guys recommend? I've never got an oversized book, so I don't know what's series to try it out. I read so many discussions on binding and paper quality that it's a bit overwhelming.

What's a good Absolute edition from DC that you guys recommend? I've never got an oversized book, so I don't know what's series to try it out. I read so many discussions on binding and paper quality that it's a bit overwhelming.

All Star Superman and/or Watchmen are the crown jewels of the initiative.

Filthy Slug

All Star Superman.

Watch out with some of the Absolutes, dude. Nice packaging (Long Halloween aside) but many of the earlier ones used glue binding, which is absolute bullshit. All Star is perfect, though.

Is there an overarching story, or is it all one-off strips?

I can't honestly say. I've been reading as little about it as possible to avoid spoiling myself. With DeForge, it could go either way. At this point, I will just read everything he does regardless of the structure.

From the Drawn and Quarterly description:

From its opening pages, Ant Colony immerses the reader in a world that is darkly existential, with false prophets, unjust wars, and corrupt police officers, as it follows the denizens of a black ant colony under attack from the nearby red ants. On the surface, it’s the story of this war, the destruction of a civilization, and the ants’ all too familiar desire to rebuild. Underneath, though, Ant Colony plumbs the deepest human concerns—loneliness, faith, love, apathy, and more. All of this is done with humor and sensitivity, exposing a world where spiders can wreak unimaginable amounts of havoc with a single gnash of their jaws.

fc106723_1303101079788.jpg

Pretty
weird
/
cool
so far.

Is there an overarching story, or is it all one-off strips?

There appears to be some continuity to it from what I have read so far.

I thought WATXM was ending?

Yeah, they're ending it and then relaunching it right away. Good old Marvel. But the new book is being written by Jason Latour. I expect it to be 100% less good than Aaron's series, though I've heard this guy has a similar sense of humor to Aaron, so who knows? I'll give it a shot before I drop the fuck out of it.

http://www.newsarama.com/20218-best-shots-advance-review-wolverine-1.html

Not the best review for Wolverine #1. Feel like Stegman is not being used the best at Marvel.

The Punisher #1 review here makes me so hyped for Frank's return.

I like how they say it's like an amazing Marvel TV show that just hasn't been made. Hawkeye has the same vibe, but it's on a different channel. You know, disconnected from the majority of the MU, allowed to do different bents to the characters, be a bit freer.

I simply can't believe that those Mind MGMT hardcovers are only just over 150 pages. That paper must be so incredibly thick.

Doh, you beat me to a Doop avatar. I've been meaning to make one for a while, but then people keep telling me how awesome my Satsuki avatar is, so I keep it. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom