• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this that just came in the mail???

YKQd87G.jpg

Just finished going through my latest purchases:

Superior Spider-Man 26: Pbth. That was a waste of money.

Mega Man 1 - 10: WOW. I should have not stopped after the first issue. There's some really good stuff everywhere on this one.

Is there a recommended storage method for maintaining Absolute and Omnibus editions? I read on another forum that displaying Omnibus editions vertically, for example, can cause the pages to droop and weaken the binding over time. Obviously I want to avoid this. I recieved my first Omnibus for Christmas, DC One Million, but I also have Fantastic Four (Jonathan Hickman) Omnibus, a number of the Invincible Ultimate Collections and Powers, Definitive Hardcover Collections. I just want to be sure I'm maintaining their binding.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Is there a recommended storage method for maintaining Absolute and Omnibus editions? I read on another forum that displaying Omnibus editions vertically, for example, can cause the pages to droop and weaken the binding over time. Obviously I want to avoid this. I recieved my first Omnibus for Christmas, DC One Million, but I also have a number of the Invincible Ultimate Collections and Powers, Definitive Hardcover Collections.

Did you read DC1M yet? What did you think of it? It's easily my favourite crossover ever, and maybe one of my favourite comics stories full stop. I love all the threads running through it in the batbooks and superbooks, and the stuff like the Starman and Resurrection Man issues.

Did you read DC1M yet? What did you think of it? It's easily my favourite crossover ever, and maybe one of my favourite comics stories full stop. I love all the threads running through it in the batbooks and superbooks, and the stuff like the Starman and Resurrection Man issues.

I just started it tonight actually! I'm excited to read it, it's my first experience. I came into comics not long before DC's New 52 reboot, apart from a few trades I borrowed here and there from the library. I will definitely let you know what I think when I finish. I might even ask for clarification on details. It's currently on my bedside table, eager to get reading again but worried about mishandling the collection.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I just started it tonight actually! I'm excited to read it, it's my first experience. I came into comics not long before DC's New 52 reboot, apart from a few trades I borrowed here and there from the library. I will definitely let you know what I think when I finish. I might even ask for clarification on details. It's currently on my bedside table, eager to get reading again but worried about mishandling the collection.

So excited for you! The continuity stuff in this isn't so bad since it's mostly far future craziness. The books themselves are very 90s but very charming as well, I get the impression that some of them were going hog wild with this.

Unai

I'm catching up with the Teen Titans, and I'm in the beginning of Volume 2 (issue #8 or #9). I'm not sure if I like it. I was a huge fan of the Young Justice cartoon and I thought this would be as good as it.

Does it get any better?

I'm catching up with the Teen Titans, and I'm in the beginning of Volume 2 (issue #8 or #9). I'm not sure if I like it. I was a huge fan of the Young Justice cartoon and I thought this would be as good as it.

Does it get any better?

No. It remains fairly mediocre. Scott Lobdell taints everything that he touches.

The series has a few points for it; Bunker was actually a pretty cool character, and they were starting to work a Titans / Legion connection again (something that has happened before) but it just sort of meandered.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Does it get any better?

Are these the old ones?

TBH it's never been that great, and old comics read pretty weird these days. If you want something Young Justice-y, pick up Teen Titans Year One (one trade, great art) or see if you can track down the 90s book called Young Justice.

fakeedit: oh wait, is vol2 the one from the 90s without any actual TT characters in it (until the 'crossover' later in the series). Yeah that book was terrible, why are you reading it??

I see. I'm also not a fan of his run in Action Comics.

The Young Justice line at DC has suffered unfortunately. Legion / Legion Lost were canceled. Teen Titans has languished under Lobdell. Ravagers started and stopped after 8 issues. Superboy has bounced between too many creative teams (though the current evil Superboy is pretty interesting).

They had an over arching plan, it seems, to tie N.O.W.H.E.R.E, Harvest, the Titans, Legion all together but it broke down and didn't go anywhere.

At this point the best bet is the rumored Raven led Titans book that they are working on.

Edit: I've assumed they meant Volume 2 of the New 52 trades?

Unai

Are these the old ones?

TBH it's never been that great, and old comics read pretty weird these days. If you want something Young Justice-y, pick up Teen Titans Year One (one trade, great art) or see if you can track down the 90s book called Young Justice.

fakeedit: oh wait, is vol2 the one from the 90s without any actual TT characters in it (until the 'crossover' later in the series). Yeah that book was terrible, why are you reading it??

No, it is from the New 52.

I'll read Teen Titans Year One. Thanks.

Edit: I've assumed they meant Volume 2 of the New 52 trades?

Yes.

Johns/JRJR Supes should be some good fun.

I ordered a big lot of the PAD Young Justice comics last summer, haven't really delved into it. what i've read is fun stuff though. David loves him some quips

Damn at that Bleeding Cool watermark. Good thing JRJR can do twelve issues a year. But I was dying to see Johns on Shazam. Liefeld was right, Image about to be the number two company once they land Mike Marts from Marvel....

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I don't know how JRJR will work without Dean White to fill in all the blanks at DC. Their bargain basement colourists are going to kill his stuff.

Coloring is obviously subjective.

But aren't some of you the same people who like FF's Color-Fill-Tool-By-Numbers?

And there are plenty of good looking colors in DC's books. Whoever did Sword of Sorcery's colors for Lopresti, that book was just gorgeous and it was basically sent to die.

But hey you probably get every DC book and can personally judge every colorist so it's cool.

tim1138

Coloring is obviously subjective.

But aren't some of you the same people who like FF's Color-Fill-Tool-By-Numbers?

And there are plenty of good looking colors in DC's books. Whoever did Sword of Sorcery's colors for Lopresti, that book was just gorgeous and it was basically sent to die.

But hey you probably get every DC book and can personally judge every colorist so it's cool.

Or how about Marcelo Maiolo's colors in Green Arrow? His colors are amazing.

I don't get every DC book because the coloring is so shit, breh

in all seriousness though, people were posting uncolored Brett Booth drawings in here and i actually found them alright, and i wrote that guy off forever ago. i looked back and i still dislike his TT stuff. a lot of it's just basic as hell. no distinct sense of style to me. there are, of course, exceptions, but then it gets into that same territory about the "DC in-house art style" discussion we had a month or two back

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Who was the colorist on Jamal Igle's Supergirl run? Gave everyone a red nose, looked like everyone in Metropolis had a cold.

Or Rod Reis, Nathan Fairbairn, whoever colors Wonder Woman, Alex Sinclair, and so on...

All shit. Accept it and move on.

On a serious note: What is it about a house style that is "bad"? I've often heard that the continuity of a colorist can do wonders if you have disparate artists (re: Zero). I'd assume that would mean similar colors each time. A house style suggests similar colors for certain things (sky coloration etc). Why is one good and one bad?

dan2026

I am so ready for a decent Superman run.

Superman has been in such a bad place since the relaunch.
Morrison's run had some good moments, but all the rest has been crap.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

8bit

Knows the Score
lmao, no it's not. It's the real Green Arrow from the old DCU (where everyone is alive and well and having awesome adventures) bridging the gap between universes, come over to show this whippersnapper a thing or two about facial hair.

That.., that's not true, is it?

lmao, no it's not. It's the real Green Arrow from the old DCU (where everyone is alive and well and having awesome adventures) bridging the gap between universes, come over to show this whippersnapper a thing or two about facial hair.
The old DCU is dead, the bodies dismembered and reassembled into puppet grotesqueries they parade out in gruesome parody of the old ways, mocking them. The characters you haven't seen yet? Frozen and stuffed into Didio's walk-in freezer, waiting their turn to join the freakshow.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The nu52/old DCU crossover event is going to be amazing. I can't wait. I think the best bit will be when Wally finds out he's black now.

The old DCU is dead, the bodies dismembered and reassembled into puppet grotesqueries they parade out in gruesome parody of the old ways, mocking them. The characters you haven't seen yet? Frozen and stuffed into Didio's walk-in freezer, waiting their turn to join the freakshow.

Part of me wishes I could have lived through COIE just to experience this version of that.

The real Batman would waste a motha- what is this hippy no kill bullshit?!

Superman can tow a galaxy, what is this depowered bullshit?!

No, it is from the New 52.

I'll read Teen Titans Year One. Thanks.

Yes.

Might want to give Geoff Johns' TT run a try. I've only ready half of it (up through Infinite Crisis) but I quite liked it and I'm a fan of the Young Justice cartoon as well. It's available in an omnibus but best to try a trade or two first.

Is there a recommended storage method for maintaining Absolute and Omnibus editions? I read on another forum that displaying Omnibus editions vertically, for example, can cause the pages to droop and weaken the binding over time. Obviously I want to avoid this. I recieved my first Omnibus for Christmas, DC One Million, but I also have Fantastic Four (Jonathan Hickman) Omnibus, a number of the Invincible Ultimate Collections and Powers, Definitive Hardcover Collections. I just want to be sure I'm maintaining their binding.

Good question, I have a bunch of omnibus and hardcover editions myself and I've just been keeping them on a bookshelf upright. Hopefully that isn't too damaging to them over the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom