• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DUSTY

After Life With Archie is awesome. Francavilla is my shit, amazing covers and great paper too. cool story.

One of the books I look forward to most every issue.

SRG01

So, regarding that particular Executive Assistant Assassins cover for, ahem, reasons... do I get that alternate cover if I purchase on Comixology?

Also, where can I get a higher-res version of that cover? :D

edit: Also Marvel is trying to break my wallet this week...

Things are not looking good for the JL Dark team. Another good issue in the story.

You and Tim seem to be loving this wohle Blight thing. Are DC doing a bigass HC when it's over collecting the whole thing? I wasn't too impressed at the Lemire iteration of the JLD, but I remain quite interested in the dark part of the DCU. Wouldn't mind giving this a shot down the road, I honestly haven't read anything by Dematteis in so long though, no idea what his style of writing is like these days.

WHAT. A RUCKA CYCLOPS ONGOING. Looks like I jumped on ANXM at just the right time.

CYCLOPS2014001cov-118b0.jpg

FoneBone

You and Tim seem to be loving this wohle Blight thing. Are DC doing a bigass HC when it's over collecting the whole thing? I wasn't too impressed at the Lemire iteration of the JLD, but I remain quite interested in the dark part of the DCU. Wouldn't mind giving this a shot down the road, I honestly haven't read anything by Dematteis in so long though, no idea what his style of writing is like these days.

WHAT. A RUCKA CYCLOPS ONGOING. Looks like I jumped on ANXM at just the right time.

I've never felt like, "Eh, fuck work-for-hire." Work-for-hire has been very, very good to me, in many, many ways. It is a privilege, more often than not, to get to work on iconic characters. You're talking about Scott Summers. Come on! This is a cool opportunity.

Really, Greg?
I’ve reached the end of my Work For Hire rope. I’m enjoying The Punisher, but that’s not mine, it’s Marvel’s, and l knew that going in. I have spent a lot of my comics career in service of other masters, – and I’ve had enough of that for now. I’m sick to death of the way the Big Two treat people.

I gave seven very good years to DC and they took gross advantage of me. That’s partially my fault, but not entirely. At this point, I see no reason why I should have to put up with that, I can sink or swim on my own.

You are seeing a grotesque Hollywoodisation of the two main companies. There was at least a period where I felt that the way they wanted to make money was by telling the best story they could; now the quality of the work matters less than that the book comes out. There is far less a desire to see good work be done... Right now, where the market is, I have no patience for it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Rucka keeps saying no, and then Marvel whispers sweet nothings into his ear and he caves, hoping somehow this time will be different. Didn't they end up ripping Punisher away from him through some other event series, or something?

Regardless of Rucka's backtracking, I'm excited. 4 books from one of my favourite writers this year, that's something else. Brubaker is reading this announcement in tears muttering "No More Bendis"

ah shit I don't want to read a Cyclops solo book but Rucka, damn

Found the Batman Annual 1 at the LCS. Had to pay $15 for it as it's hard to find.

Now I own Batman 0-28 and Annual 1-2. Also 23.1-4. I now have the full run. I've seen the full run I have sell anywhere from $300-500 on ebay.

Not selling anytime soon though.

holy crap I want to sell mine

arkon

I wonder if Lazarus and the other creator owned stuff isn't doing too well for him. You gotta pay those bills somehow.

tim1138

TIM1138

After Life With Archie is awesome. Francavilla is my shit, amazing covers and great paper too. cool story.

One of the books I look forward to most every issue.

I'm glad you like it, and Francavilla is indeed the shit, but I've never talked about that book brah.

Now onto something I am reading, I love that the entirety of Matt Kindt's short run on JLA is just a massive love letter to Stargirl. I'm really interested in seeing how Lemire is going to write her in JL United.

Found the Batman Annual 1 at the LCS. Had to pay $15 for it as it's hard to find.

Now I own Batman 0-28 and Annual 1-2. Also 23.1-4. I now have the full run. I've seen the full run I have sell anywhere from $300-500 on ebay.

That is awesome mang.. you're my hero. lol ..jk

but really

Goddam Marvel is really expanding their line to the max. I hope there is room for me to write that Dr. strange ongoing.

Nathan Edmonsonmis completely destroying Marvel right now. Brah could be on the rise to comics superstardom.

huh, i have everything up to Zero Year. some signed. wonder how much it goes for.
Nathan Edmonsonmis completely destroying Marvel right now. Brah could be on the rise to comics superstardom.
motherfuckin DC didn't know what they had on hand when they assigned him to GRIFTER

I love cosmic books, but a cyclops book... I give it 4 issues.

What is this? Even if it's a failure, it'll probably get 8-12. 18 is more likely imo before it gets pulls back into a soft refresh of the x-men books via event, Marvel seem super commited to regular refresh seasons now. Rucka + marvel cosmic = go onn.

Vibranium

Banned
Wow, Rucka on Cyclops is very tempting, one of my favourite writers... I held off on Latour with Wolverine and the Xmen though...

I wish they'd put Greg on Winter Soldier, he'd fit perfectly...I'm sad now.

^^^

Fake Fury ruins it, sorry. Get the real Nick in Secret Avengers, I don't care if he's busy with Original Sin.

You mention a top 10, but didn't post it, so now I'm interested, let's hear it.

welp

Kiss-Me-Mallah.jpg

1. Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison and Richard Case

Weird and crazy as shit, but its grounded by its fantastically relatable and human characters. I don't think superhero books have ever portrayed a more convincing relationship than the one between Cliff Steele and Crazy Jane.

Dogwelder%201.jpg

2. Hitman by Garth Ennis and John McCrea

Similar to DP, its a wacky 90s DC superhero book that's really an exploration about loyalty and friendship. Its the funniest damn book one minute, then it'll punch you in the gut with its tragic turn of events before you realize how emotionally invested you are in the characters.

professor-xavier-is-a-jerk.jpg

3. Claremont's Uncanny X-Men #145-279/X-Men #1-3/various annuals/back-ups

This is after Byrne left co-plotting status and Chris was left to steer the ship himself. This about 150 issues here, dense reads all of them, but its mostly just really good superhero stuff. Solid characterization, great artwork(Paul Smith, John Romita Jr, Marc Silvestri, Jim Lee, Art Adams, Alan Davis), a real sense of continuity mattering and growth over an extended period of time.

jVRWN0N3nCBdk.jpg

4. Akira by Katsuhiro Otomo

Six volume, 2000+ pages of the biggest damn sci-fi thriller epic I've ever seen. The length of time gives each character to become fully rounded people in their own right, and the amount of space gives us some of some coolest and most effective action set pieces and depictions of destruction in comics. There are no "off" pages or panels either, every single page is filled with little details to make this world seem more plausible, your investment in it more believable. Shit is godlike.

j5FNpeJydh0mS.jpg

5. Frank Miller's Daredevil comics(his original writer/artist run, Born Again, Elektra Assassin, Love and War, Man Without Fear)

Its like Will Eisner and Akira Kurosawa and 1970s Bronson-style vigilante cinema all rolled into one. And then Elektra Assassin is like this Steranko fever dream, and Born Again is something else entirely.

jf1UmenCCrm3o.PNG

6. Scott Pilgrim by Bryan Lee O'Malley

The defining comic of the last decade, for me anyway. A great coming-of-age tale about discovering that life is about moving forward and not getting hung on your past mistakes, about chasing ambition instead of static familiarity. But with video games and ninjas and music and shit.

jWx5aCeP4bdnc.jpg

7. American Flagg! #1-12 by Howard Chaykin

More excellent genre fiction. Robocop, Watchmen, and Dark Knight Returns owes a lot to AF!, both in its storytelling construction and satirical 80s future vibe. Smart, sexy, funny, great action scenes, ya know.

jon7_GIF.gif

8. Calvin and Hobbes

Everyone loves Calvin and Hobbes, right? Like, I don't have to explain the appeal of this book to anybody. You meet somebody and you're like, "Yeah, Calvin and Hobbes is my shit" and they're like "Man, fuck that comic man, I prefer Garfield", you know are dealing with the scum of the Earth, and you disconnect contact with them as soon as possible.

diesel5.jpg

9. Scalped by Jason Aaron and RM Guera

A mean ass crime comic, where Jason Aaron seems to have absorbed the souls of Elroy, Altman, and Garth Ennis into a wonderful vigorous and compelling read. RM Guera is equally amazing, especially in creating a sense of place that's so vital to us getting involved in the Rez and the screwed up lives of the people that live there. Consistently the best on-going every year it was on the market.

jV4zFYMgtHuj5.jpg

10. Why I Hate Saturn by Kyle Baker

Explained this above, but its just too lovable.

Wow, Rucka on Cyclops is very tempting, one of my favourite writers... I held off on Latour with Wolverine and the Xmen though...

I wish they'd put Greg on Winter Soldier, he'd fit perfectly...I'm sad now.

^^^

Fake Fury ruins it, sorry. Get the real Nick in Secret Avengers, I don't care if he's busy with Original Sin.

Don't let dat bias get you man, I know you're better than that. You seem to love all that is holy at marvel (Rucka/Bru/Latour), you want Kot, regardless of the characters he's writing, he'll make it worth it. Plus he said he wants to write a winter soldier epic, wouldn't be shocked if he fits it in those pages.

Guys, I have never read Planetary and know next to nothing about it (not exaggerating, I don't even know the premise of the series), except that every once in a while I come across praise for it. I just noticed that the omnibus on Amazon and I'm kinda tempted to pull the trigger on it due to its relatively low price. Sell me on it, brahs.

Guys, I have never read Planetary and know next to nothing about it (not exaggerating, I don't even know the premise of the series), except that every once in a while I come across praise for it. I just noticed that the omnibus on Amazon and I'm kinda tempted to pull the trigger on it due to its relatively low price. Sell me on it, brahs.

Warren ellis , deconstructs the super hero genre

X-Files Season 10 (yes it's a comic) has been so good and today's issue is no different. I think I am the only one reading it here so I'll just talk to myself about how good it is.

What is this from? The newest Hawkguy?

Secret Avengers I think

So happy. Just got back from the comic shop and I completely forgot that the Power Girl by Palmiotti/Conner trade and She-Hulk by Dan Slott Collection came out so I got them both. There was a sale going on too so I got like $15 off. Also picked up She-Hulk and Spider-Man as well as the last Superior Foes. Gonna be a good day.

Vibranium

Banned
Don't let dat bias get you man, I know you're better than that. You seem to love all that is holy at marvel (Rucka/Bru/Latour), you want Kot, regardless of the characters he's writing, he'll make it worth it. Plus he said he wants to write a winter soldier epic, wouldn't be shocked if he fits it in those pages.

You're a cool guy donie, and Kot does seem cool. But I can't support shoving hamfisted characters into books. Battle Scars gave me mental scars. My biases get in the way, I don't like how Alonso runs Marvel as an editor.

I'll keep "following" it, especially when Bucky shows up.

Ales Kot is totally setting up The Fury vs Nick Fury showdown, just you wait

I've been waiting for it to happen for more than a year. I want them to beat the shit out of each other.

Parch

Everyone loves Calvin and Hobbes, right? Like, I don't have to explain the appeal of this book to anybody.
Comic strips were supposed to die along with newspapers, but they're doing fine online. I like that the primary intent is comedy, something I often feel is significantly lacking in comic books. Plus online comic strips don't cost nuttin'. Whenever I hit an online comic strip site I usually end up spending a couple of hours there having a good laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom