• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

My roommate gets it and we talk about it so u generally know what is going on in it.

Oh hey, thanks for continually pushing Supes/WW. Finally checked it out and it's great stuff, I think Diana had more screen time in this one issue than the last three issues combined of her own book.

I might have gone a bit overboard but ordered Criminal Deluxe 1 and 2 and the 5 Powers definitive volumes.

Maybe it's because my pull list is down to only Ms. Marvel and Cataclysm atm.

Oh hey, thanks for continually pushing Supes/WW. Finally checked it out and it's great stuff, I think Diana had more screen time in this one issue than the last three issues combined of her own book.

I've really been continually surprised by it. I wasn't sure what I was expecting from it at first but it's definitely not the kissy face romance book some detractors were suggesting it'd be. I can't wait to see where it goes from here. And dat art.

I've really been continually surprised by it. I wasn't sure what I was expecting from it at first but it's definitely not the kissy face romance book some detractors were suggesting it'd be. I can't wait to see where it goes from here. And dat art.

I think, just as an aside, people would be a lot less confrontational about your recommendations and DC in general here if you didn't put in nearly every hype post some note about the wackness of "detractors". Just let rad be rad.

Tell me why a book is great, not why some dummy was wrong. When you frame it as you do, it just sounds like someone with an agenda more than someone with a subjective point of view.

Rucka's back at Marvel, and writing Cyclops?

Dang, now I'm conflicted. Cyclops is probably my least favorite of the "popular" X-Men, but it's Ruckaaaaaaaaaa.

Gonna have to think about this. Maybe since it's Young Cyclops it won't be so bad.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Guys, I have never read Planetary and know next to nothing about it (not exaggerating, I don't even know the premise of the series), except that every once in a while I come across praise for it. I just noticed that the omnibus on Amazon and I'm kinda tempted to pull the trigger on it due to its relatively low price. Sell me on it, brahs.

Like someone said before, Planetary explores, tributes and deconstructs the superhero genre (and others genres and trends at large). It's mostly compromised on single issues stories that build up along a grand scale story. Even if you aren't not invested that much in the medium, chances are that you will get the nods along with enjoying the dynamics between the characters, and how the story unfolds every chapter.

Rucka's back at Marvel, and writing Cyclops?

Dang, now I'm conflicted. Cyclops is probably my least favorite of the "popular" X-Men, but it's Ruckaaaaaaaaaa.

Gonna have to think about this. Maybe since it's Young Cyclops it won't be so bad.

Corsair spike ,CORSAIR!

I imagine it will be like castaway in dimension Z but lighter tone

Booth should probably conform to a house style

teenage-wasteland.jpg

Guys, I have never read Planetary and know next to nothing about it (not exaggerating, I don't even know the premise of the series), except that every once in a while I come across praise for it. I just noticed that the omnibus on Amazon and I'm kinda tempted to pull the trigger on it due to its relatively low price. Sell me on it, brahs.

I was in your position, not regretting it at all so far. It's pretty cheap at instocktrades. They're much better than amazon in my opinion. They take tremendous care in packaging stuff and shipping is only $4 (or free if you spend over $50).

Does Batman #28 spoil previous stuff that has happened in Snyders batman run or is it standalone? Im still catching up and am in the middle of the City of Owls storyline

Is the 'Vendetta' crossover between CaXF and UXF required to follow the new X-Force? I dropped both books quite early.

I'll start reading my "pile" in a few minutes.

Oh I get it now, Viewtiful posted his views on an article he read. He just forgot to link the article. Booth read the same article.

Ps. Rafa, I am your first follower on Twitter.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Stegman should have taken the She-Hulk gig again, career climbing be damned... great first issue writing, art was okay, may grow on me if it gets a little more creative rather than flat.

WatXM beginning to wrap up feels so sombre. Also just how feckin' long are the time-travelled brat X-Men going to be around now with another ongoing?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
WatXM beginning to wrap up feels so sombre. Also just how feckin' long are the time-travelled brat X-Men going to be around now with another ongoing?

They're Bendis babies, so the answer is as long as he wants.

Wait, is Brett Booth saying he's not a "house style" artist? One of THE 90s Wildstorm guys?
He's that New 52 Teen Titans artist, right? I picked the first issue of that book, realized the name of the artist rung a bell and after like 3 pages, I was fairly certain he was one of these Wildstorm guys from back in the day.

So yeah. House style through and through.

I think, just as an aside, people would be a lot less confrontational about your recommendations and DC in general here if you didn't put in nearly every hype post some note about the wackness of "detractors". Just let rad be rad.

Tell me why a book is great, not why some dummy was wrong. When you frame it as you do, it just sounds like someone with an agenda more than someone with a subjective point of view.

Dear Birdie. One day you'll get a book on my recommendation and you'll like it and you'll come to me with this beautific smile upon your face and just as you begin to whisper your thanks, a gateway to hell will rip open and a great freeze shall grasp the world within it's icy grip.

95% of my rhetoric is in response to some of the inane bullshit that gets spoken like gospel. I'm just not the type to let that kind of stuff go. If ex-DC or Marvel guys are going to build a narrative that DC is the worst thing ever and everything they do is shit, I'm going to happily point out when and where they are wrong. And they usually are. Most DC books are actually pretty good. But some people have so poisoned their expectations for anything DC that they will fight it, tooth and nail, before admitting it. Sometimes it almost seems as if they are upset when DC has a success story or does something right.

Look, I get it, especially with the "ex-DC" guys, they can't help but hate everything about the New 52, and they hate the good stuff about it even more because it's another nail in the coffin of their desperate hope that everything will go back to the "way that it was" (which is not even possible at this point). What they'd end up getting, if something like that ever happened, is a New New 52 that looks like the Old DCU on paper.

I even understand it from the otherside. Everytime I see you post some INSANE OMG WTF BBQ explosion of joy about a book that you really, really liked, I can't help but be skeptical. "Really? It's that good? From Marvel?" But I don't say it. Because I haven't read it. But when I do that same exact thing, as someone who feels like his particular brand of our little comic club is constantly getting shit talked for stuff that just... doesn't make any sense... [Like DC's art is shit? Really? When that image was posted before, comparing them, my gut reaction was, "Wow, I really like most of those DC images... and Allreds art is still grade school shit with terrible primary colors, Captain Marvel has had shit art forever, and Hawkeye can't maintain a schedule with that basic linework??? But that's just my taste. Objectively judging art makes almost no sense.] I can't help but want to show them that they were wrong.

Anyways, for what it is worth, I appreciate your comments. Comics are still cool. All of them. Even the shit you like. ;)

Old fury to become the new watcher !

Dude yes! I was wirting about this last month, no one replied :( but it makes so much sense right? Where is it...

Click

This is what I thought on the subject. It works so much thematically with his character. He could effectively continue to behave exactly as he normally does but have even more of the weight of the world on his back.

Dear Birdie. One day you'll get a book on my recommendation and you'll like it and you'll come to me with this beautific smile upon your face and just as you begin to whisper your thanks, a gateway to hell will rip open and a great freeze shall grasp the world within it's icy grip.

95% of my rhetoric is in response to some of the inane bullshit that gets spoken like gospel. I'm just not the type to let that kind of stuff go. If ex-DC or Marvel guys are going to build a narrative that DC is the worst thing ever and everything they do is shit, I'm going to happily point out when and where they are wrong. And they usually are. Most DC books are actually pretty good. But some people have so poisoned their expectations for anything DC that they will fight it, tooth and nail, before admitting it. Sometimes it almost seems as if they are upset when DC has a success story or does something right.

Look, I get it, especially with the "ex-DC" guys, they can't help but hate everything about the New 52, and they hate the good stuff about it even more because it's another nail in the coffin of their desperate hope that everything will go back to the "way that it was" (which is not even possible at this point). What they'd end up getting, if something like that ever happened, is a New New 52 that looks like the Old DCU on paper.

I even understand it from the otherside. Everytime I see you post some INSANE OMG WTF BBQ explosion of joy about a book that you really, really liked, I can't help but be skeptical. "Really? It's that good? From Marvel?" But I don't say it. Because I haven't read it. But when I do that same exact thing, as someone who feels like his particular brand of our little comic club is constantly getting shit talked for stuff that just... doesn't make any sense... [Like DC's art is shit? Really? When that image was posted before, comparing them, my gut reaction was, "Wow, I really like most of those DC images... and Allreds art is still grade school shit with terrible primary colors, Captain Marvel has had shit art forever, and Hawkeye can't maintain a schedule with that basic linework??? But that's just my taste. Objectively judging art makes almost no sense.] I can't help but want to show them that they were wrong.

Anyways, for what it is worth, I appreciate your comments. Comics are still cool. All of them. Even the shit you like. ;)

I was gonna say something like this, but I erased it and thought that I didn't want to bother, but this is pretty much the truth. 100%.

You guys should be more like tim, he's perfectly ok with reading dozens of mediocre DC superhero books every month, you don't see him getting all defensive about it all the time. He just enjoys and talks about his books.

Rucka keeps saying no, and then Marvel whispers sweet nothings into his ear and he caves, hoping somehow this time will be different. Didn't they end up ripping Punisher away from him through some other event series, or something?

yea right in the middle of his Punisher story Marvel did their NOW! initiative to counter DC and decided Punisher was going to be a member of the new thunderbolts now. I think they did let Rucka wrap up the story in an annual or special or something.

You guys should be more like tim, he's perfectly ok with reading dozens of mediocre DC superhero books every month, you don't see him getting all defensive about it all the time. He just enjoys and talks about his books.

I'm sure people like having their taste is something being called "mediocre." I'm pretty sure Tim is just more mature than a lot of us here and chooses not to participate is juvenile things.

Tim has reached self actualization. I'm still somewhere at the base of the Maslow pyramid, desperately searching for a heavy rock to bash in the head of one of the Others.

DC isn't the worst thing ever. At least they have guys like Cliff Chiang and Andrea Sorrentino. Meanwhile, pretty much every single Dynamite and Zenescope book looks the same.

So, the 3rd worst thing ever

Vyer

Glad to see that artist comparison is being recognized for the fanboy bullshit it is.

And which of those Twitter handles is rafa?

I like to think most comic readers are like me and read Rotworld then decided DC was the worst.

I never got into it because I've always thought the ideas being Swamp Thing and Animal Man were literally the worst thing ever. But I can also get weird with my superhero tastes. Like, with magic, for example. I've come to the realization that I dislike most magical characters. Specifically those with what I like to call "general purpose magic". People like Zatanna or most of the Justice League Dark people. I don't like when I can't get a grasp on a persons powerset. With general purpose magic they can seemingly do anything and that squicks me. It's why I ended up dropping Constantine / Phantom Stranger / Pandora / JL:D, though I intend to pick up JL:D again when Amethyst joins the team.

16038_1M_I_Hate_Magic_.JPEG

Messi

Spare a thought for Catwoman readers like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom