• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I've seen one page from Zero and it was the page with the kids in the tree and it bummed me the fuck out.

The 'payoff' for that scene is about 86x worse in terms of bummage. It's handled ruthlessly but brilliantly..

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I want to die holding your hand

Ugh, Kot you magnificent bastard.

::swoons:: That Kot, man. For a book about a supersoldier, this book has so much depth in both the political aspect but also the emotional and, most importantly, none of it is boring.

tim1138

::swoons:: That Kot, man. For a book about a supersoldier, this book has so much depth in both the political aspect but also the emotional and, most importantly, none of it is boring.

I posted a link a few pages back with an interview with Kot at Multiversity Comics, it's well worth reading. He mentions that writing issue 9 brought him to tears, and considering his background and the fact it covers the Bosnian War in 93... yikes. That's gonna be a rough issue to read.

Its funny how different his Marvel interviews are from his Zero ones. Obviously he takes it all seriously, but Marvel one seem kinda light and laidback, this book's gonna be fun you guys...and the Zero ones are these huge, in-depth, personal peaks into his mind. Its an interesting contrast.

I hope you Winter Soldiers fans weren't looking for Bucky in Winter Soldier: The Bitter March, because it was really a Nick Fury/Ren Shen James Bond spy adventure! Not a bad trade-off

Its funny how different his Marvel interviews are from his Zero ones. Obviously he takes it all seriously, but Marvel one seem kinda light and laidback, this book's gonna be fun you guys...and the Zero ones are these huge, in-depth, personal peaks into his mind. Its an interesting contrast.

I hope you Winter Soldiers fans weren't looking for Bucky in Winter Soldier: The Bitter March, because it was really a Nick Fury/Ren Shen James Bond spy adventure! Not a bad trade-off
Is it tying into the main Cap series, or just more of a
"before Ran Shen went bad"
kind of thing? Could it be the cause/reason for spoilered happening?

Is it tying into the main Cap series, or just more of a
"before Ran Shen went bad"
kind of thing? Could it be the cause/reason for spoilered happening?

Going by the latest interview with Remender, it definitely will tie-in to the main Cap series, although Rick does a pretty good job of making his stuff new reader-friendly, even if its clear a lot of his ideas cross-pollinate. Apparently, the current Iron Nail kinda stems from the anger he feels over what happened at the end of the "Winter Soldier."

It's all connected and as "Captain America" and the "Winter Soldier" series are released concurrently with one another in the coming months they'll both sort of ping pong off of each other and tell a full story about who the Iron Nail is and ultimately set him up as somebody who is going to shatter Steve Rogers in a large way and change the status quo of this book and the Marvel Universe for quite some time to come.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Damn it, I am supposed to be trimming my pull list, but I really want to try The Fuse and The Mercenary Sea.

I trimmed my list recently by dropping Hinterkind, Coffin Hill, All-New X-Factor, and Umbral.

Thankfully, Marvel Knights Spider-Man is over, so I have room for more.

I'm close to dropping Avengers A.I., All-New Invaders, and Batman '66. Furious and Skyman may be dropped if they don't have a quality second issue to keep me hooked. The Marvel Knights Hulk and X-Men should be ending soon, along with Cataclysm, so those will be off my lists soon.

Someone mentioned that the 2008 Unknown Soldier series is worth checking out? I remember when it was announced and completely ignored it as it didn't seem at all interesting at the time.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Do trades release later on amazon than everywhere else? I looked up Zero and amazon has the release date listed as March 4th.

Generally Amazon gets books one week later than the Diamond dates. Sometimes longer for the smaller publishers.

ElNarez

Banned
Deadpool #23's goofs are just fucking outright references to stuff and there's no way it should work but it totally fucking does and I have no idea how the fucking goofcraft in this book is crazy amazing.

frye

has si spurrier ever read a fantomex comic in his life and also why did nobody tell me that clayton crain + choi/oback era x-force art was back in style?

has si spurrier ever read a fantomex comic in his life

Ha ha. That was probably my biggest complaint. I know Fantomex is French, but now he's suddenly a stereotype. XD

Also, what ever happened with the
three Fantomex characters running around
? And does that have anything to do with why
Psylocke now hates him so much
? I only read the first six or seven issues of Uncanny X-Force.

has si spurrier ever read a fantomex comic in his life and also why did nobody tell me that clayton crain + choi/oback era x-force art was back in style?

Fantomex got ratched up past 90s Gambit level, Marrow is going on about babies and music, Psylocke is just weirdly snarky, and the artwork makes the Yost X-Force era look full of personality and life.

Bii

Anyone check out The Mercenary Sea today? I wasn't able to go to the shop this afternoon, and it was one of the books I was looking forward to trying this month. Has a very stylish look, and the 40s pulp adventure setting seems up my alley.

Preview (CBR)

I picked it up but have yet to read it. Will post impressions when I get around to it (maybe this weekend).

Also got Egos #2 and the art has become a bit more consistent. There were panels and pages in Egos #1 that was just a mess. Especially the last page of #1, the impact would have been greater had it not been drawn like something elementary school kids can do. Other than that, I'm enjoying it.

Filthy Slug

Welp, Batman 28 was shite. Great ad for that other Batman series I guess. Not a good interruption for Zero Year, but Capullo deserves as long as necessary to draw those incredible comics of his.

Cheska

Welp, Batman 28 was shite. Great ad for that other Batman series I guess. Not a good interruption for Zero Year, but Capullo deserves as long as necessary to draw those incredible comics of his.

Well this was the complete opposite of what I was coming in here to say lol.

Filthy Slug

Well this was the complete opposite of what I was coming in here to say lol.

I like Nguyen's art and Bluebird is kind of rad, but it felt more like one of Snyder's cohorts' backups that polluted most of his Batman run so far.

Like, it's paying full price for a sneak peek into something that is going to happen really fucking soon and interrupting his current storyline, which has been his absolute best, in order to give loyal readers this "present". Also, I don't particularly care about
Stephanie Brown
and I just assumed that that reveal was coming up in a Batbook real soon.

Oh well, more Zero Year next month!

sca2511

So, I see that the TWD Compendium 1 & 2 are $25 each @ Amazon (sale?). Omnibus HC is $55 @ IST. The better buy would be the compendium, but is it cumbersome to read? I don't want to worry about breaking the binding or anything like that.

My unknown soldier collection is supposed to be delivered tomorrow but I get the feeling the snow storm will delay it a day or two. :( I really want to start reading them.

So, I see that the TWD Compendium 1 & 2 are $25 each @ Amazon (sale?). Omnibus HC is $55 @ IST. The better buy would be the compendium, but is it cumbersome to read? I don't want to worry about breaking the binding or anything like that.

I don't think it's a sale at all since Walmart has been selling them for $30. I think it's just competition dictating the price.

The Compendiums are really thick TPBs. Heavy, too. But you get a ton of issues in each. I think there are like, four or five of the HC omnibuses at this point. Personally, I buy the regular hardcover volumes that each contain 2 of the regular trades.

The Compendiums are really thick TPBs. Heavy, too. But you get a ton of issues in each. I think there are like, four or five of the HC omnibuses at this point. Personally, I buy the regular hardcover volumes that each contain 2 of the regular trades.

Are the omnibuses that good though? Currently it's twice the price for half the amount of issues. That's a colossal gap in price.

Are the omnibuses that good though? Currently it's twice the price for half the amount of issues. That's a colossal gap in price.

Are you talking about omnibuses or hardcovers? Currently, the series is released in like, four trade formats. Paperback, Hardcover, Omnibus and Compendium. The hardcovers are great, simply because Image puts out well-made hardcover volumes. There are some many of the regular tpb volumes out at this point that you're going to run into the same issue with shelving as you do when you have a bunch of binders next to one another. The omnibus volumes list for like, $100 each. Fuck that.

sca2511

Omnibus HCs seem to be consistently at $55 @ IST, but yeah, MSRP is $100 which is crazy. +$15 on top of buying two of the regular HCs. Are there any substantial additional content over the regular HCs? If not, it'd be between the regular HCs and the compendiums.

Omnibus HCs seem to be consistently at $55 @ IST, but yeah, MSRP is $100 which is crazy. +$15 on top of buying two of the regular HCs. Are there any substantial additional content over the regular HCs? If not, it'd be between the regular HCs and the compendiums.

What is UST?

Are you talking about omnibuses or hardcovers? Currently, the series is released in like, four trade formats. Paperback, Hardcover, Omnibus and Compendium. The hardcovers are great, simply because Image puts out well-made hardcover volumes. There are some many of the regular tpb volumes out at this point that you're going to run into the same issue with shelving as you do when you have a bunch of binders next to one another. The omnibus volumes list for like, $100 each. Fuck that.

I as looking at the omnibus because he said omnibus. The price gaps are crazy. $25 vs. $60 vs. $120 per ~1000 pages. The compendiums are super tempting.

They're certainly a much more cost-effective way to catch up with the series. But if it's something you're going to want to re-read down the road, the regular deluxe hardcovers would probably be the best way to go. I have all 9 so far, and they're worth it.

Yeah, I've never read or watched it so I don't know if I would ever read these again which makes these decisions frustrating.

Anyone check out The Mercenary Sea today? I wasn't able to go to the shop this afternoon, and it was one of the books I was looking forward to trying this month. Has a very stylish look, and the 40s pulp adventure setting seems up my alley.
It looked cool, i'm getting it when i hit the shop tomorrow.
PSA for trade waiters.

The trade for Zero comes out next week.

Get on it
nice, i'm gonna add it to my IST cart. First Complete Collection of Gillen's JiM is also out, gonna fill out this $50 quick

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Fantomex got ratched up past 90s Gambit level, Marrow is going on about babies and music, Psylocke is just weirdly snarky, and the artwork makes the Yost X-Force era look full of personality and life.

Marrow is back?

frye

Marrow is back?

Yeah, she's in the new X-Force comic.

Lawyer Power Fantasy She-Hulk is kinda dope, I think? The best page was the splash with her going down the hilariously long hallway, which is a lesson in guiding the eye in unconventional directions. Pulido status: still greatttt

squadr0n

X-Force spoiler/question
Who was the red head unconscious in X-Force, Hope?
When did this happen lol? Aside from the terrible Fantomex, Cable is my biggest complaint. I dunno if its the art work or the writing but damn, what a way to ruin my favorite character :(

X-Force spoiler/question
Who was the red head unconscious in X-Force, Hope?
When did this happen lol? Aside from the terrible Fantomex, Cable is my biggest complaint. I dunno if its the art work or the writing but damn, what a way to ruin my favorite character :(

I was kind of wondering what everyone would think of this. Gaf has a really good feeling about Spurrier right now and most seemed to react well to the art previews, but the critics went apeshit on this issue, much lower scores than I expected haha. Was everyone let down or is there a split between critic and customer?

I was kinda surprised i was alone in the "um guys this art does not look that good" camp on GAF when the previews came out. I don't plan on buying it for that reason alone, despite hearing good things from this Spurrier fella. although i hear the characterizations were terrible too, so there's that. I like Gambit and Fantomex, but they are not the same dammit

That was my reaction to the previews too, and my thoughts haven't really changed. Now that it's all over and reviews seem to be confirming he stuck the landing, I'm definitely having a look at Legacy, maybe pick up the run in trade. Spurrier is getting a lot of hype these days and boom won't be releasing Six Gun Gorilla for another lifetime, so this might be my best bet to try his work out. That said, if I dug him, I'm not sure I'd follow onto x-force with that art, I really don't like it. That said, perhaps it matches the script and tone perfectly, who knows, but on face value, I really don't like the style ha.

ElNarez

Banned
To say Spurrier's Fantomex is old Gambit is a pretty inaccurate assessment of X-Force. He's old Gambit times a thousand. In a way I feel it kinda reverts back to his original characterization as the French thief who feels he can get whatever he wants and be the coolest guy in the room in the process, but turned to 11. It's not necessarily good, but it works as a wrinkle. It fuels funny dialogue and interesting character interactions, which is ultimately what it should be judged on.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
This Batman issue was a teaser for Eternal, I assume the story line will continue there. Apparently Snyder and Capullo made some changes in what used to be 28 but is now 29 and Capullo needed the extra time to redraw it.

All New X-Men is weird. It sort of reminds me of a soap opera, which while it doesn't work for every book, is working quite well here. Plus the art is straight up amazing.

I know that it's part of Eternal, my question is "where in Eternal does this take place?" because it's not part one, it's like it's a month or two into the run, in which case the start of the story is going to be about arranging their pieces so their in this configuration. Which means it'll be a bit predictable.

I like Nguyen's art and Bluebird is kind of rad, but it felt more like one of Snyder's cohorts' backups that polluted most of his Batman run so far.

Like, it's paying full price for a sneak peek into something that is going to happen really fucking soon and interrupting his current storyline, which has been his absolute best, in order to give loyal readers this "present". Also, I don't particularly care about
Stephanie Brown
and I just assumed that that reveal was coming up in a Batbook real soon.

Oh well, more Zero Year next month!

Yeah I felt pretty much like this too. tbh, I'd rather the book just had a delay till Capullo was ready and let Eternal play out at it's own pace.

If this really is #1 of Eternal and the series will pick up from here and continue at rocket pace with minimal expository bullshit telling us what we already know I'll happily stand corrected.

Honestly man, as a newbie I'd say just stick to fairly inexpensive paperbacks for a while. That way you can drop a series if you're not digging it and not have such a financial outlay right away. I don't want you getting burned out before you get started.

Also Omnibuses suck and are a plague on the industry.

Blink Me

Someone mentioned that the 2008 Unknown Soldier series is worth checking out? I remember when it was announced and completely ignored it as it didn't seem at all interesting at the time.

Yeah I really enjoyed it its worth checking out.

And I've nearly finished the first volume of Morning Glories and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom