• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

by tim1138

Despite whatever expectations I may have or not had about this book before reading it, it is really, really freaking good. It's refreshing to have a book with Wonder Woman's name in the title that actually features Wonder Woman (a novel concept I know!). Basically this book scratches the itch for seeing Diana do cool superhero shit unencumbered from that neverending miasma of the Greek Pantheon and OMG ZOLA!!! that Azzarello IS STILL writing 2.5 years later and that has reduced Diana to a side character in her own book. And while that was tolerable when Orion was around for some New Gods hijinx (although Fratboy Brorion did get kind of old), he has since left the book and it's back to OMG ZOLA'S BABY WAS CAPTURED!!!11!!1 and mystery character (onimous music) with ties to Zeus!! I know Azzarello has said he only took on the book because whatever DC had previously planned for her was terrible or something, but I think it's become pretty clear dude has no interest in actually writing her.

So that's where Superman/Wonder Woman steps in. Here we have a book where Diana actually has adventures and fights monsters and bad guys and is featured in the book! Sure there's the romance with Supes, but who cares. It's something different than Supes/Lois for the 11ty millionth time, and in the context of the universe makes sense. Why wouldn't the two strongest characters who while they appear human are essentially gods, connect and have a relationship? Who else is going to relate to them on that level? So yeah. Charles Soule writes the hell out of the book and makes Diana be the strong bad ass we all know she is. pretty much saving Supes ass on a regular basis. And house style or no, Tony Daniel can still draw the hell out of things.

So buy the book or not, I don't freaking care, if I can't convince you people to buy Zero or Manhattan Projects you're sure as hell not gonna buy this. But it's a good book and that's why.

--

And about my taste in books, honestly I have no interest in what people think of what I read. I deal with so many people at my job who think they are better than the rest of the world because of a couple letters after their name, that nothing in this thread could phase me. I'm like the dude who buys the boobie elf books--comics to me are a means of entertainment and a way to unwind. I read what I like and if other people don't like it, it's no skin off my back. Other than some really transcendental titles like the aforementioned Zero and basically anything by Grant Morrison, comics are disposable entertainment to me and judged as so. You many return to your regularly schedule bickering and I will return to making 2 sentence posts about books no one else reads from my phone. :)

Back to comics.

Superior Spidey was great. This will be an epic finale.

Coffin Hill was good but short. First story arc I think is 7 books long when I feel like they could have made it 5-6.

Suicide Squad is alright. Probably the least inspired thing Kindt is writing. Bet he is glad when it is done.

Messi

by tim1138

Despite whatever expectations I may have or not had about this book before reading it, it is really, really freaking good. It's refreshing to have a book with Wonder Woman's name in the title that actually features Wonder Woman (a novel concept I know!). Basically this book scratches the itch for seeing Diana do cool superhero shit unencumbered from that neverending miasma of the Greek Pantheon and OMG ZOLA!!! that Azzarello IS STILL writing 2.5 years later and that has reduced Diana to a side character in her own book. And while that was tolerable when Orion was around for some New Gods hijinx (although Fratboy Brorion did get kind of old), he has since left the book and it's back to OMG ZOLA'S BABY WAS CAPTURED!!!11!!1 and mystery character (onimous music) with ties to Zeus!! I know Azzarello has said he only took on the book because whatever DC had previously planned for her was terrible or something, but I think it's become pretty clear dude has no interest in actually writing her.

So that's where Superman/Wonder Woman steps in. Here we have a book where Diana actually has adventures and fights monsters and bad guys and is featured in the book! Sure there's the romance with Supes, but who cares. It's something different than Supes/Lois for the 11ty millionth time, and in the context of the universe makes sense. Why wouldn't the two strongest characters who while they appear human are essentially gods, connect and have a relationship? Who else is going to relate to them on that level? So yeah. Charles Soule writes the hell out of the book and makes Diana be the strong bad ass we all know she is. pretty much saving Supes ass on a regular basis. And house style or no, Tony Daniel can still draw the hell out of things.

So buy the book or not, I don't freaking care, if I can't convince you people to buy Zero or Manhattan Projects you're sure as hell not gonna buy this. But it's a good book and that's why.

--

And about my taste in books, honestly I have no interest in what people think of what I read. I deal with so many people at my job who think they are better than the rest of the world because of a couple letters after their name, that nothing in this thread could phase me. I'm like the dude who buys the boobie elf books--comics to me are a means of entertainment and a way to unwind. I read what I like and if other people don't like it, it's no skin off my back. Other than some really transcendental titles like the aforementioned Zero and basically anything by Grant Morrison, comics are disposable entertainment to me and judged as so. You many return to your regularly schedule bickering and I will return to making 2 sentence posts about books no one else reads from my phone. :)

Well said, and agree on all fronts. Is sad that she has become a side character in her own book

55796-Olivia-Wilde-cheers-wink-gif-1-hgFM.gif

Also fuck what other people think. I jokingly slate the fact that I read bad female hero books but I wouldn't buy them if I didn't get some kind of enjoyment from them. At the end of the day all that matters is that you are happy with what you are reading. I enjoy reading your opinions and others here. I've picked up many books from suggestions here,some I loved some I hated but I'd never slate someone for enjoying a book I dislike.
Unless Ann Nocenti writes it

Vyer

You guys are right about Supes/WW btw. I only tried it because of the positive vibes in here. Until Pak started his run, it was the best Superman out there.

I like characters and cool stories. Comics are a schway way to get mah stories and follow mah characters in fun stories.

Thoughts on what I've read:
-Superman/WonderWoman is the book that will solidify this ship. Best Tony Daniel in ages.

-She-Hulk has been immediately added to my Follow-List. Great first issue. It seems I follow all but one of Soule's ongoings.

-Rogues Rebellion is far from perfect, but I absolutely love it. I'm eager to see where the Rogues stand in the post-FE DCU. Specially with Cold joining the Justice League.

-JLA was great and surprisingly sad.
Makes me wish I hadn't read about Jon's place in Lemire's JLU.

-Superior Spidey has just started an epic sendoff. Pure fun.

-X-Men Legacy had an amazing finale. Why weren't you all reading this? (The only real problem wiyh this book was the art. Writing was phenomenal from day one)

by tim1138

Other reasons that I feel Superman/Wonder Woman is great,
  • It's melding Wonder Woman's Book into the DCU proper; Let's be honest, Wonder Woman has felt like a stand alone title. And while for some people this is great, it is nice to have a reminder that they are part of something bigger. It's also a treat to see other artists renditions of characters, so Daniel's take on Apollo, for example, was just great.
    Especially the scuffle that followed.
  • Diana is a badass. She may not get top billing on the front cover, but Diana is an equal partner in this title. It really doesn't feel like she is being short changed at all, and so far, they've done a good job at giving them a reason to be together on a more casual basis (that then leads to crazy adventures).
  • The Big Bads. We're getting the punchy-fighty types, but we're also getting some more thought provocing encounters, such as Clark trying to decide how to deal with
    Zod. Yes, Zod stories have happened before, but this is still an interesting one. Also, Faora.
  • Dat Art.

tim1138

Back to comics.

Superior Spidey was great. This will be an epic finale.

Coffin Hill was good but short. First story arc I think is 7 books long when I feel like they could have made it 5-6.

Suicide Squad is alright. Probably the least inspired thing Kindt is writing. Bet he is glad when it is done.

I dunno what it is about Coffin Hill, but that book feels super short every month.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I like to think most comic readers are like me and read Rotworld then decided DC was the worst.

ha, I am still bitter about that... how did Snyder and Lemire drop the ball so hard. I think the main problem was that a lot of it was halfassed in the crossover style, in that a lot of time was spent recapping. Felt like it took an age to move forwards all the time.

Anyway, new comics.

Batman was OK I thought. A little bit "why? why now?" from my end. How far into the run is this meant to take place? Does that mean we have to spend three months ($36) to get there? Seemed like it was lifting fairly heavily from Contagion and No Man's Land too. Hmmm.

Caught up with All New X Men, that was more like it! Didn't realise this story was so long, I thought it was only a 5 parter for some reason. But if this means we get Immonen/Pichelli pretty much weekly for a couple of months then please lube me up and take my wallet. Super fun stuff, amazing looking to boot. I've never read any Guardians at all, so this story is serving as a good intro (even though the cynic in me sees what Bendis is doing, so much secret expository dialogue). That twist at the end was neat too, the emotional ramifications of that are great.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
ha, I am still bitter about that... how did Snyder and Lemire drop the ball so hard. I think the main problem was that a lot of it was halfassed in the crossover style, in that a lot of time was spent recapping. Felt like it took an age to move forwards all the time.

Anyway, new comics.

Batman was OK I thought. A little bit "why? why now?" from my end. How far into the run is this meant to take place? Does that mean we have to spend three months ($36) to get there? Seemed like it was lifting fairly heavily from Contagion and No Man's Land too. Hmmm.

Caught up with All New X Men, that was more like it! Didn't realise this story was so long, I thought it was only a 5 parter for some reason. But if this means we get Immonen/Pichelli pretty much weekly for a couple of months then please lube me up and take my wallet. Super fun stuff, amazing looking to boot. I've never read any Guardians at all, so this story is serving as a good intro (even though the cynic in me sees what Bendis is doing, so much secret expository dialogue). That twist at the end was neat too, the emotional ramifications of that are great.

This Batman issue was a teaser for Eternal, I assume the story line will continue there. Apparently Snyder and Capullo made some changes in what used to be 28 but is now 29 and Capullo needed the extra time to redraw it.

All New X-Men is weird. It sort of reminds me of a soap opera, which while it doesn't work for every book, is working quite well here. Plus the art is straight up amazing.

Messi

This Batman issue was a teaser for Eternal, I assume the story line will continue there. Apparently Snyder and Capullo made some changes in what used to be 28 but is now 29 and Capullo needed the extra time to redraw it.

All New X-Men is weird. It sort of reminds me of a soap opera, which while it doesn't work for every book, is working quite well here. Plus the art is straight up amazing.

I must say I've really liked all of All New X-Men.

Yeah, just put Supes/WW down and it's one of DC's best right now. Leave it to WW to make Superman look like a chump. Also dat opening beach scene!

tim1138

I think Lemire was ready to go buy like issue 7 or 8, but got stuck spinning his wheels waiting for Snyder to catch up. That crossover was so bad, I'm amazed both books made it through without being cancelled.

Messi said:
Sign of a good book. SAGA is like that for me. I alwas get to the end and go...damn. Another month. Lol

Every month I actually check the page count in comixology when I'm done reading it because I can't believe the issue is over.

ReiGun

I like Supes/Wondy. The relationship still feels totally unnecessary and my feelings on that will probably never change, but whatever. It's an excuse to get this two to team up and have tag team fights with Zod and Faora. So I'll deal.

And I don't think Diana is so much a supporting character in her book as her book is more of an ensemble than just about her. It's practically a team book, really. I do agree that Azz has overused the baby macguffan.

I just stopped in the middle of reading JL3000 because it just won the best comedic moment of comics for the week. I really laughed out loud.

tim1138

I just stopped in the middle of reading JL3000 because it just won the best comedic moment of comics for the week. I really laughed out loud.

You should really check out the Giffen/DeMatteis JLI run from back in the day, I think you'd really like it.
I have no idea how much of it is still in print, but last time I was at CBW they had vol 1-4 in tpb.

arkon

You should really check out the Giffen/DeMatteis JLI run from back in the day, I think you'd really like it.
I have no idea how much of it is still in print, but last time I was at CBW they had vol 1-4 in tpb.

I wish they had finished this off. I really enjoyed the 6 volumes that they did put out :(

Or announce plans for omnibus collections of the material.

All good books except for the first Deadpool arc. But from the second going forward it's smooth sailing.

Presidents was really bad.

Honestly, I still don't think I'm having as much fun with the current DP line as I did under Way's writing and direction, but it's still a good book.

It is happening! Batman 28 spoilers.

Nrama: It was interesting to see Catwoman as a Kingpin of crime, but it's also notable to see the anger she has toward Batman. Where should we look to find the incident between Catwoman and Batman, where he leaves her? Is this a Forever Evil thing, or a Bat-books thing?

Snyder: Yeah, it's going to be part of Batman: Eternal and it's going to be part of Batman, and it's also going to be part of Catwoman, honestly.

Her status is really — we're going to try to reconfigure her status in a way that I think people, hopefully, will really like. It's something that I think will give that character a new energy and a new sense of importance to Gotham.

I really like what Ann [Nocenti, Catwoman writer,] has been doing with the book. And this isn't, in any way, to cast aspersions at what the book has been, because I think it's been tremendous fun.

But I also think that this kind of a change to the character will really make her a powerful, powerful figure.

And Gotham really hasn't had a Kingpin before, you know? Certain figures have kind of stepped up, like Two-Face, or Black Mask, at different times. But ultimately but the idea of an actual, kind of Wilson Fisk figure, I think, is something pretty new.

And then having that be Selina brings all kinds of interesting layers to it.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Enjoyed She-Hulk. Im a lawyer and never watch legal shows on TV, but I like She-Hulk and Daredevil. Maybe DC should relaunch Grifter with him going to law school.

ElNarez

Banned
I rule in favor of She-Hulk #1 and should anyone have any objections they will be held in contempt of court. Get it in your custody today. I rest my case. Lawyer words.

Messi

I rule in favor of She-Hulk #1 and should anyone have any objections they will be held in contempt of court. Get it in your custody today. I rest my case. Lawyer words.

Last page left a nice smile on my face.

I really like what Ann [Nocenti, Catwoman writer,] has been doing with the book.

Now you are two, Messi

He is lying, I have the decency to tell it like it is. I suppose he can't burn her professionally. I like him though. But that is bulllllllshit :p

Batman #28

So this'll be meta considering the tags I'm putting around this: Anybody else think they'll be playing on Spoiler's name literally? Like either Spoiler nu52 has some sort of precognition power or what have you or it's more of just a play on words that she's the only one going on hence she'll be spoiling what with happen next

Who's the dark haired lady? Also, I love that Widow is the one not giving a fuck about Clint's dangling D.

No clue! I don't follow any of the Avengers comics lol

She-Hulk was pretty fun. I like Pulido's art but I'm not crazy about the way he draws her face. Looking forward to the next issue either way.

And I'm a week late but Superior Foes 8 was so good. I don't think I was ever expecting to like this book so much when I started it last year. Fred's such an entertaining character and I really love this team. I'm terrible at keeping up with books consistently but I always keep up with this and Hawkeye.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The folks here were really digging it while it was coming out.
Yooo, dont be misleadin people on Zero, Messi. Zero is just starting and with its first kind-of arc done, it's one of the most unique and excellant comics in the medium right now. Just think about this: Ales Kot has a different artist for every issue and it's entirely cohesive, gorgeous, and each issue provides a glimpse into a masterfully crafted character and world.

Messi

Yooo, dont be misleadin people on Zero, Messi. Zero is just starting and with its first kind-of arc done, it's one of the most unique and excellant comics in the medium right now. Just think about this: Ales Kot has a different artist for every issue and it's entirely cohesive, gorgeous, and each issue provides a glimpse into a masterfully crafted character and world.

Did you guys not dig it? I think I agreed with this.

tim1138

This man tells the truth.
Buy this book.

Messi said:
Did you guys not dig it? I think I agreed with this

I think it was in reference to your "while it was still coming out" comment. It's an ongoing, just taking a break this month for the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom