• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Yeah, I know, they're on my wish list also, holding out for some kind of IST sale or something.

Yeah, I thought there were more pages, which is why I was gonna bite the bullet. But at those prices, I may just borrow them from the library and wait for a sale or something to own. That's a bit too expensive, and I have no shortage of things on my wishlist.

So wait... The Stumptown hardcovers are only about 150 pages each? WAT? For $20 each at IST?
the first volume (aka first case) was 4 issues. The next two cases are five issues a piece. I never looked at the HCs since I have them digitally and apparently cheaper just with the non sale discount of $2 a issue.

So pick up xmen supernovas instead. It's great

What's this Supernovas book about? First I've heard of it.
It's the start of Mike Carey and Bachalos xmen run. It's really great. Carey LOVES rogue and has her lead a new band of misfits. Rogue has never been written better.

It's a shame after this trade the rest got chewed up by two quick x-men events and then Carey moved to x-men legacies. Which was good but not near as good as his x-men book

Multiversity Master List.

BATGIRL #39 $2.99
BATMAN AND ROBIN #39 $2.99
BATMAN ETERNAL #46 $2.99
BATMAN SUPERMAN #19 $3.99
JUSTICE LEAGUE #39 $3.99
MULTIVERSITY MASTERMEN #1 $4.99
NEW 52 FUTURES END #42 (WEEKLY) $2.99
SUPERGIRL #39 $2.99
SUPERMAN WONDER WOMAN #16 $3.99
BITCH PLANET #3 (MR) $3.50
DEADLY CLASS #11 (MR) $3.50
MS MARVEL #12 $2.99

Post-Valentine's Day list

Batgirl #39
Batwoman #39
Multiversity Mastermen #1
Teen Titans #7
Autumnlands Tooth & Claw #4
Bitch Planet #3
Deadly Class #11
Invincible #117
Ms. Marvel #12
Silk #1
Silver Surfer #9
Uncanny X-Men #31

Tizoc

It's the start of Mike Carey and Bachalos xmen run. It's really great. Carey LOVES rogue and has her lead a new band of misfits. Rogue has never been written better.

Oh that's tempting, will pick it up later.

OK purchase plans for the next few months-
March: Order Greg Rucka's Wolverine+Solo Hardcover
April: Order Megaman Vol. 5 (gotta make sure I don't own it first though :p)+Megaman Vol. 9+Worlds Collide

EDIT: When is the Multiversity collected edition TPB planned for release?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So wait... The Stumptown hardcovers are only about 150 pages each? WAT? For $20 each at IST?

Yeah, Oni's pricing is nuts. That's also the only reason I don't own any Bryan Lee O'Malley books. If Oni's pricing was at least somewhat reasonable, I'd own every book of his, no doubt.

Catching up on the last two weeks of comics,

Superman 38, why do you leave so soon Johns. He just comes back opens up those Action Comics wounds that sting when he left that time. One more issue but who cares.

Ant-Man 2, felt like the book dialed it down a bit this time. Still good.

Amazing Spider-Man 14, meh.

Avengers 41, >:] aw yisss.

Hawkeye 21, I need to ly dow. Amazing.

I know I'm too tired for Nameless and a bunch of other books right now so I'll save it for tomorrow, also I need to reread X-Force for the last issue.

Yeah, Oni's pricing is nuts. That's also the only reason I don't own any Bryan Lee O'Malley books. If Oni's pricing was at least somewhat reasonable, I'd own every book of his, no doubt.

But isn't Oni in the shitter, financially? There might be something to that.

Kipp

But isn't Oni in the shitter, financially? There might be something to that.

Are they? Doesn't come as any surprise.
I can't imagine they sell many collected editions at the prices they sell them. And I can't remember the last time I saw someone buy an Oni floppy.

Come on dude, color editions of Scott pilgrim on IST are $18 bucks for around 200 pages. It's time for you to read SP if you haven't.

I read Geoff Johns Earth One Batman for the first time. Let's get the obvious out of the way, Grary Franks art was gorgeous. I know the story is in an alternate universe, some of it just didn't click with me. Some ideas were cool and I enjoyed them.

Story 6/10
Art 9/10

Kipp

Come on dude, color editions of Scott pilgrim on IST are $18 bucks for around 200 pages. It's time for you to read SP if you haven't.

Oh, don't worry, I've read it. My library has it. Haha
It's one of my all-time favorites. However, I read the whole series in like 3 hours. As incredible as it is, I can't justify $120 for 3 hours of reading. If the hardcovers ever get a decent sale though, I'm all over them.
I still need to read Seconds too, now that I think of it. The library has that too. Thank goodness my libraries love to carry all the Bryan Lee O'Malley stuff.

Man I'm so happy Astro city is still releasing issues and that Busiek still has it. Just read #18 with the start of the quarrel and crackerjack (aka the Green Arrow/ Black Canary homages) arc and it's so awesome.

Oh, don't worry, I've read it. My library has it. Haha
It's one of my all-time favorites. However, I read the whole series in like 3 hours. As incredible as it is, I can't justify $120 for 3 hours of reading. If the hardcovers ever get a decent sale though, I'm all over them.
I still need to read Seconds too, now that I think of it. The library has that too. Thank goodness my libraries love to carry all the Bryan Lee O'Malley stuff.
Oh good I was about to send you all my b/w volumes if you had not read it.

:p

I read and enjoyedSeconds back when it came out. I don't read as many stand-alone books as I'd like. More recently, though, The Sculptor by Scott McCloud was fantastic.

PsychBat!

Banned
Yeah, ASM #14 was so tame. It's okay, but definitely the weakest action climax Slott has done yet. Even Ends of the Earth had a much better climax.

new list after not getting comics last week!

Drifter #4
Silver Surfer #9
Lumberjanes #11
Silk #1
Transformers vs. GI Joe #5 (from last week)

SoilBreak

Banned
Yeah, ASM #14 was so tame. It's okay, but definitely the weakest action climax Slott has done yet. Even Ends of the Earth had a much better climax.

The ending was so underwhelming.

When I reached to the
last panel with peter and slik
I was like this can't be all it.

tim1138

Hah, this is awesome.

cCvQMZT.jpg

Yeah, I've been buying Spider-Verse and I have to be honest, I enjoyed the Edge of Spider-Verse lead ins way more then the actual event. Maybe if I was buying every spider book that was coming out I would have enjoyed it more, but overall I kind of just wanted it to be over. Started out good, but then just got kind of boring towards the middle and the end. I'm gonna get the companion hardcover/omni when it comes out and see if that makes the experience better. I'm also hoping the epilogue adds a bit more to the ending. Hell, maybe the event just wasn't for me. I've never read a whole run of spider-man, just random issues here and there. I imagine Gameproff will get a whole lot more out of it then I would, for example.

Zombine

Banned
The multiverse has its place, but when each world is its own, it feels small and insignificant. This is Batgirl world, this is Nightwing world, etc. It's like, oh, in this whole world it's just one character huh?

Crossovers and team books are cool, I'm talking about the execution of these big "events" that just fall flat way too often. There's nothing special about events when it feels like they interrupt comics every month at this point. We are in such a constant state of events that maybe they aren't actually events at all?

fertygo

Eh. Events are fun. I'd rather have an occasional event than a completely stand alone book that 20+ issues in I'm wondering how it's connected to anything else.

Yeah I rather have the latter..

Snyder and Tomasi obviously enjoying their batman work that way.

At Marvel, you had Hawkeye.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
We are in such a constant state of events that maybe they aren't actually events at all?

Thats what I think. Spider-Verse is no Event for me. Its a Crossover between all Spider-Books. It would be a Event, when The Avengers, the Guardians of the Galaxy, the X-Men and everyone else would be involved and would have Event Tie-Ins and everything.

Original Sin, Inhumanity = Events
Infinity, Battle of the Atoms, Black Vortex = No Events.

Well now you're getting into the semantics of what is a crossover and what is an event. I personally feel that a crossover is two books. More than that is an event. I love both of them. Crossovers are the easiest reminder that it's a shared universe and events are a chance to shake up some of the status quo in some way. There were several DC books that I felt actually suffered from their lack of integration with the rest of the line: Batwoman is a great example. At times it felt like she existed in her own world and the teams only grudgingly connected her to the rest of the DCU. Anytime something serious happened in Gotham she wasn't anywhere to be seen to the point that she felt less "heroic" a character to me.

Zombine

Banned
I just want Crossovers and Events that are less about the sales and more about building hype through an interesting hook and stellar writing that isn't filtered through editorial. I'm exhausted by Thanos and the world exploding timey wimey shit and temporary deaths.

Would be nice if they stopped forcing events into already existing storylines, however. If you wanna have Castle popping up in your mega-event, fine, use the character in the event issues, but for the love of fuck don't bring that noise into the Punisher floppies. That just tends to shit on the usual quality for the sake of.... what, exactly?

Yes, yes, it is very nice that there is a megaevent involving all mutiedom, but this book here? Has a storyline going that has sweet fuckall to do with that. Let it continue unopposed and, if you feel like it, release a parallel floppie detailing how the character was involved in the rest of the noise.

Yes, i'm still pissed about x-madrox.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Would be nice if they stopped forcing events into already existing storylines, however. If you wanna have Castle popping up in your mega-event, fine, use the character in the event issues, but for the love of fuck don't bring that noise into the Punisher floppies. That just tends to shit on the usual quality for the sake of.... what, exactly?

Yes, yes, it is very nice that there is a megaevent involving all mutiedom, but this book here? Has a storyline going that has sweet fuckall to do with that. Let it continue unopposed and, if you feel like it, release a parallel floppie detailing how the character was involved in the rest of the noise.

Yes, i'm still pissed about x-madrox.

Writers dont have to Tie-In. They can Opt-Out.

Top Bottom