• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

So I had this idea just not sure if its a good one or a bad one.

I have the Frozen comic book by Joe Books that came out this past Wednesday. I live in Orlando right next to Walt Disney World. I thought maybe having the DISNEY CERTIFIED Elsa & Anna cast members (who are trained for who knows how many hours practicing the signature) sign the comics and get the PhotoPass pictures to prove it.

Do you think this will raise or hurt the value of the comic?

tumblr_m8ntdagZyX1rako0qo9_250.gif

Depending on the end...
Nah ;)

Messi wants to stick his flash drive into her USB port.

randomwab

Can I rant for a minute? I hate Marvel for releasing a Fraction Fantastic Four omnibus instead of two oversized hardcovers for each series. I just want his FF run. I love his FF run. Even the tradepapers for that series are all screwed because the first two issues are in his first Fantastic Four trade. You suck, Marvel.

might still buy it though :(

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Can I rant for a minute? I hate Marvel for releasing a Fraction Fantastic Four omnibus instead of two oversized hardcovers for each series. I just want his FF run. I love his FF run. Even the tradepapers for that series are all screwed because the first two issues are in his first Fantastic Four trade. You suck, Marvel.

might still buy it though :(

Would this even make sense? I thought the two books are to connected?

I have the Frozen comic book by Joe Books that came out this past Wednesday. I live in Orlando right next to Walt Disney World. I thought maybe having the DISNEY CERTIFIED Elsa & Anna cast members (who are trained for who knows how many hours practicing the signature) sign the comics and get the PhotoPass pictures to prove it.

I guess it would raise the value of the comic, but I doubt a comic that is widely available will be worth much. I would think that the effort of getting those signatures would be more than the increase of the value of the comic. Comics only really get valuable when they're actually hard to find. Signatures dont add much value to a book IMO They're nice to have because you usually get a chance to talk to the creator of the book and its a reminder of that.

Damn. Vol 1 of Swamp Thing was brilliant.

First time I've come across Floronic Man. Is he really the origin for Poison Ivy or is that just some Gaiman alternate origin story?

The Invisibles v1

Grant. Grant my boy. There are easier ways to announce to the whole world that you were taking every drug under the sun during the early 90's.

ElNarez

Banned
Well now you're getting into the semantics of what is a crossover and what is an event. I personally feel that a crossover is two books. More than that is an event. I love both of them. Crossovers are the easiest reminder that it's a shared universe and events are a chance to shake up some of the status quo in some way. There were several DC books that I felt actually suffered from their lack of integration with the rest of the line: Batwoman is a great example. At times it felt like she existed in her own world and the teams only grudgingly connected her to the rest of the DCU. Anytime something serious happened in Gotham she wasn't anywhere to be seen to the point that she felt less "heroic" a character to me.

It's goddamn easy just think of it in hip-hop terms:
  • Crossovers are features, like when Big Boi shows up in a Run The Jewels song
  • Events are posse cuts, when you got all the crew in and trying to upstage one another
Just remember that handy metaphor and all will be well.

It appears to be her post-Crisis origin.

Cool. Is this also the first appearance of Etrigan or was the character already around?

Can anyone with the Sandman Omnibus volumes tell me how much gutter loss is present in them?

I don't own one but it is supposed to be fairly good for an omnibus that size.

http://community.comicbookresources...-DC-Hardcover-Collected-Editions-Part-3/page6

Posts 80/81/81 there has some photographs.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The Invisibles v1

Grant. Grant my boy. There are easier ways to announce to the whole world that you were taking every drug under the sun during the early 90's.

The book is really a huge guide that informs all of the themes and facets of existence that he's going to be exploring through most of his work, and the beginning is fucking brutal in terms of reader unfriendliness. Like, it actively says "fuck you, quit." with the Arcadia arc. But it's not just some drug-fueled mess--you just have to catch onto all the conversations being had within the book, and you have to do some research to even realize conversations are being had. Just get the original letters columns, wikipedia some shit, and keep going, homie. Volume 2, after the first renumbering, is way easier to follow and is pretty much a big action movie.

Zombine

Banned
The book is really a huge guide that informs all of the themes and facets of existence that he's going to be exploring through most of his work, and the beginning is fucking brutal in terms of reader unfriendliness. Like, it actively says "fuck you, quit." with the Arcadia arc. But it's not just some drug-fueled mess--you just have to catch onto all the conversations being had within the book, and you have to do some research to even realize conversations are being had. Just get the original letters columns, wikipedia some shit, and keep going, homie. Volume 2, after the first renumbering, is way easier to follow and is pretty much a big action movie.

Best way to read vol 1 is on a tablet. You have no distractions, and you are focused directly on the page and dialogue that is in front of you. I thought it was fantastic.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Best way to read vol 1 is on a tablet. You have no distractions, and you are focused directly on the page and dialogue that is in front of you. I thought it was fantastic.

I'm not gonna support digital, but I agree that you should read The Invisibles with some monk-like focus. Like, zen the rest of the world out, and focus solely on the story opening up in front of you. Also, don't read it while tired, or the scorpion gods will get your ass.

I tried to read it twice and gave up. I don't mind when I have find supplemental material to understand the various contexts (hell, I needed a wikipedia page next to me to do a read of Foucalt's Pendulum). Invisibles just didn't hold my interest.

Zombine

Banned
I'm not gonna support digital, but I agree that you should read The Invisibles with some monk-like focus. Like, zen the rest of the world out, and focus solely on the story opening up in front of you. Also, don't read it while tired, or the scorpion gods will get your ass.

I couldn't pass up Invisibles at that price. I heard the Omni binding was awful, so I weighed the pros against the cons and picked it up for something like $50.

Owzers

I'm not even going to bother getting the Unwritten Fables crossover trade, going right from vol 8 to 10.

Morrison's Happy was OKAY, i don't think the story was particularly interesting.

Filthy Slug

I tried to read it twice and gave up. I don't mind when I have find supplemental material to understand the various contexts (hell, I needed a wikipedia page next to me to do a read of Foucalt's Pendulum). Invisibles just didn't hold my interest.

Totally understandable, but, I think you should try one more time and at least get to the Apocalipstick arc that focuses on Lord Fanny, and if you still have no interest, then yeah, the book is definitely not for you.

I couldn't pass up Invisibles at that price. I heard the Omni binding was awful, so I weighed the pros against the cons and picked it up for something like $50.

The omnibus is unwieldy as fuck, but the way I see it, both the book itself and the content within can be used to fuck somebody up.

Owzers

Did you read Walking Dead? How many dollars would you rate it?

$1.95. I'm glad Kirkman hasn't bumped Walking Dead and Invincible up on price, even if they are my favorites it's easier to keep buying a book for so long when it's $2.99 retail/$1.79 dcbs. If it were more expensive i probably would have dropped it during All Out War.

Would this even make sense? I thought the two books are to connected?

They're like directly connected. FF wouldn't even exist as a team if it weren't for the main run. I legit can't imagine how you could read one without the other.

"This seems like a weird cast of characters, Tod. How did they all get together?"
"Go with it!"

Honestly, you could probably just get Fantastic Four vol. 1 and FF vol. 1-2 and get everything you need to know for the latter series. They're tied together at the beginning, but I've seen no indication that you need to read more than the first three issues of F4 to understand FF.

Then again, I haven't read FF vol. 2.

ElNarez

Banned

It's worthless, but also very neat and very cute

It's worthless, but also very neat and very cute

I guess it would raise the value of the comic, but I doubt a comic that is widely available will be worth much. I would think that the effort of getting those signatures would be more than the increase of the value of the comic. Comics only really get valuable when they're actually hard to find. Signatures dont add much value to a book IMO They're nice to have because you usually get a chance to talk to the creator of the book and its a reminder of that.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to do it tomorrow when I go to the park and raffle it off to one of my students (I teach 3rd grade Language Arts) at the end of the month, since they have all been working hard getting ready for the FSA (the new FCAT).

Marvel really needs to improve their paper quality, it's absolutely ridiculous at this point. You can see like halfway through the issue on these white Skottie Young covers....

Just picked these up at the liby, they seemed very Hergé-y. Anyone read them?

Totally understandable, but, I think you should try one more time and at least get to the Apocalipstick arc that focuses on Lord Fanny, and if you still have no interest, then yeah, the book is definitely not for you.

I definitely will give it one more shot. Maybe after I read Animal Man.

Marvel really needs to improve their paper quality, it's absolutely ridiculous at this point. You can see like halfway through the issue on these white Skottie Young covers....

Yeah, I don't plan on getting any more Marvel omnibuses unless this changes. MU + library will do just fine.

Surprisingly, the Daredevil OHCs seem ok. Hope the OHCs don't start getting bad too. I was hoping to buy She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel when those are out.

Owzers

Why asking when you already know the answer?
Their expensive collected books get worser, too.

Hmmm there was a chance. I forgot i bought a couple 4.99 Marvel books, maybe an oversized event issue and Ant-Man. DC has thicker paperstock on the covers of some of their 3.99 books.

What i'm getting from this post is "didn't you get doom patrol? how about you go read that instead?"

If yall are looking for best CMX Star Wars deal, Crimson Empire is 500+ for $15. Pretty dece Gulacy art, back when his schedule was so rushed he couldn't keep the Kevin o'neill influence out of his stuff. It's kinda the sequel to Dark Empire but ain't read that and I'm getting along just fine.

If yall are looking for best CMX Star Wars deal, Crimson Empire is 500+ for $15. Pretty dece Gulacy art, back when his schedule was so rushed he couldn't keep the Kevin o'neill influence out of his stuff. It's kinda the sequel to Dark Empire but ain't read that and I'm getting along just fine.

Crimson Empire's probably the best Star Wars comic ever.

I hate to turn this into Shards |OT| again but I've got an interview tomorrow morning for another placement. This time it's the local cinema, being their tech guy and general dogsbody. The positive is the woman who sets up my placements already has one guy there and he got a full time job (he's the greeter). The bad thing is it's a one-month placement with a small cost-of-living bonus (not so bad), followed by nine months of unemployment + wage subsidies (I guess it's okay, but I won't be BALLIN' any time soon). Though if I do well, my chances are good for a full-time job at the end.

I really need this. I am going insane being at home at all the time. It's been freezing until today, I nearly put my fist through the screen because of Hearthstone and losing a cup tie in Football Manager and the only coffee in the house is the instant I keep for when my mother calls round since she won't drink the brewed stuff. I should also probably shave my beard for this job, but I have no blades or even any moisturiser so if I shave my ezcema will run wild like Hulkamania in 1985. You can't really serve the public with half a face.

Nerves are bad right now.

Top Bottom