• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Boogiepop

Darn UPS is looking like they're going to fail to get me my 3DS today... despite getting it into the state yesterday... :(

Also, I have read all of the trades of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure as of today. That's a massive 112 volumes of manga, all read in Japanese. Next up is Astro Boy!

DC cover girls needs to do a series that forms this

rZj8ocY.jpg

Sadly, I'm almost in total agreement. Goblin Nation, Learning to Crawl, the opening six issues, Spider-Verse...duds, all of them. And the sad thing, Slott used to be REALLY GOOD at these things. Five-issue mini-series mining continuity? Spider-Man/Human Torch, great story, Learning to Crawl, came and went nobody cared. Giant six-issue epics with dozens of characters and huge stakes? Spider-Island, one of the all-time great Spider-Man stories, juggles half a dozen sub-plots and gives everybody a great ending(Kaine redeemed, Eddie Brock redeemed, Venom did his thing, Peter saved the day with his quick thinking and intellect and showed why he's special instead of people just saying he's special in Spider-verse, etc). Spider-Verse? Like the bigger, badder, dumber sequel, the Blackest Night to SI's Sinestro Corps War. And he's been great at smaller, street level stories too. Look at "Mysteriso", "Brand New Day", "Flying Blind", "Return of the Spider-Slayer" "Nobody Dies", "Flying Blind", "No Turning Back".

I think Slott has done all his great Spider-Man stories now. He's at the point where he seems almost bored with Peter, so he has to have his mind taken over by supervillians or get sucked into a giant, mystical, multiverse spanning epic with hundreds of characters and big noisy, splashy set pieces. He's completely forgotten the relatable everyman street level hook that are the backbone of all of ASM's great runs. Lee/Ditko, Lee/Romita, Stern/Romita, DeFalco/Frenz. The man's lost the plot, and because sales are higher than they've been in 10 years, nobody can tell him no. Steve Wacker probably told him no lots of time, he's gone for Nick Lowe, who's every interview makes it sound like he just nods his head to everything Slott says. Maybe its cuz he's split up writing duties with Silver Surfer(which, despite its cosmic whimsy, still has a great character dynamic grounding it) and all the minis, IDK. But he's running on fumes now. He's like Mark Waid on Flash post-Return of Barry Allen. Sometimes you gotta know when to step aside and let Geoff Johns do his own great run, ya feel me?

Either Slott needs to go, or we need an alternate Peter Parker book. One that can go an entire year without another giant, world/universe spanning mega event. One where Peter Parker maybe has to clean his suit and he has to go the washeteria with a webbed up mask, or his arm breaks and he's gotta lie about it to his co-workers, or maybe he's gotta stop a bus full of kids careening off the road and then make it back in time for Aunt May's birthday.

Something nigga, shit
I agree with all this, especially about Peter being told he's special rather than his actions showing he's special. ASM needs a new writer.

Also VJC stop getting banned brah.
Well, I can't buy one volume of Stumptown and not get both. Alright, I'll get New Frontier and Stumptown 1 and 2. I'll cap it at $65 this week. But I'll put the order in on Monday because I need to put in an order the following week anyway when the third Casanova hardcover comes out (assuming it doesn't get delayed again).
Next Volume comes out 3/18

Bloodember

Darn UPS is looking like they're going to fail to get me my 3DS today... despite getting it into the state yesterday... :(

Also, I have read all of the trades of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure as of today. That's a massive 112 volumes of manga, all read in Japanese. Next up is Astro Boy!

Last time I checked, UPS doesn't deliver on Saturdays anymore, unless you have a package that states for Saturday delivery.

Zombine

Banned
I love my New 3DS. Fuck the New 3DS.

It's so great, but the questionable back panel design almost gave me a heart attack.

Maybe Messi know what's I'm talking about, but if you're big and strong and the instructions tells you to "apply force" you freak out because I know that my "applying force" is snapping shit in half.

Spent more money than I wanted but after research and reading reviews, this would offer me the best bang for the buck for what I'm looking for.

B91Lm4nIMAE0P4X.jpg

frye

thank the lord that Ennis-written war comix will look good again

But yeah Ennis has talked about this in a few interviews and Nick Lowe hinted towards something like it in the last issue of Fury so it's cool to finally see pages.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
The crazy thing is even though I'm super excited about more Ennis Punisher MAX, I'm even more excited for his dinosaur story. Humorous Ennis is best Ennis.

MG310

Hasbro killed it at Toyfair...these lineups are ridiculous.

Marvel Legends:

Wave 2 Avengers:
Cap
Hulk
Iron Man
Spider-Woman
Batroc
Hellcat
Thanos BAF.

Wave 3
Dr. Strange
Blizzard
Vision
Marvel Now Iron Man Black and Gold
War Machine with alternate Flip helmet head
Thundra
Valkyrie.
BAF is Massive Hulkbuster. He is Big. About 9".

Ant-Man Legends:
Antman with small Antman and Yellowjacket
Wasp
Grim Reaper
Tiger Shark
Giant Man
Bulldozer
BAF Ultron Prime which is about 9".

3.75" Ant-Man with flying ant, both articulated.

Spider-Man Legends wave 2
Ghost Rider
Scarlet Spider (Classic)
Chameleon w/ J Jonah Jameson,Hammerhead heads,
Misty Knight
Kraven
Superior Venom
White Tiger
BAF is Rhino comic with alternate head.

Marvel Legends Target 3-pack Dr. Green, White Vision, and Comic Ultron (New).

Amazon: Thor, Banner, Hawkeye, Black Widow Avengers Age of Ultron 6" movie figures.

Pics here. http://marvelousnews.com/ig.php?mod...ork_Toy_Fair/Hasbro/General&start=60&sl=18576

Kipp

I've never read any Punisher other than the current run. Would Max be a good place to start?

I personally think you'd enjoy Ennis' Marvel Knights run the most (starting with Welcome Back, Frank). It's a lot like girly hijinks, except instead of "girly" it's "mass murder."

I personally think you'd enjoy Ennis' Marvel Knights run the most (starting with Welcome Back, Frank). It's a lot like girly hijinks, except instead of "girly" it's "mass murder."
Naw based on his track record he'd like Ruckas the best. And I really don't like MK run. It was like he was slowly doing a preacher withdraw/detox. Max is when Ennis finally got franks voice and tone right

Kipp

Naw based on his track record he'd like Ruckas the best. And I really don't like MK run. It was like he was slowly doing a preacher withdraw. Max is when Ennis finally got franks voice and tone right

Agree to disagree I suppose.
Ennis' Marvel Knights run is just pure joy for me to read. It absolutely love it.
With that said, I think of MAX Frank and MK Frank as two entirely different people. MAX Frank is definitely more "accurate" seeming, given who he is, but MK Frank is just so fun.

All this talk about Ennis has given me motivation to finally start Hitman. I'm already reading Alias and I don't really like reading two series at the same time... but I'm really excited for Hitman right now.

So much catching up to do, I'm sorry ComicGAF, between Valentine's Day, New 3DS, Majora's Mask, animation I need to get done, and still AC UNity I have so little time for you.

Would you still be my other Valentine's though. I love you all.

Also I may crack and buy the PS4 version of Guilty Gear. I used to love that series, but I just don't have the free time to get good at a fighting game any more. I still want it though.

You had me until this

Read Garth Ennis' Marvel Knights stuff if you wanna read a black comedy set in the 616.

Read Garth Ennis/Jason Aaron's MAX series if you want to read a bleak "real world" crime drama.

Read Greg Rucka's Punisher run and concluding miniseries War Zone if you want to read a crime drama set wholesale in the 616 universe.

They're all really good, but very different from one another. Ennis' Welcome Back, Frank and the rest of the Marvel Knights stuff is really just dark comedy stuff. It's wacky with lots of blood and guys. Anything that's MAX (and there's a lot of it, lots of one-shots, mini series, and two volumes, one by Ennis, one by Aaron) are very dark and very bleak. They're comparable to something like Scalped or 100 Bullets. They aren't "fun" reads. Rucka's Punisher is a militaristic crime thriller set in the Marvel Universe. It's not quite as bleak as MAX, but it's not a comedy like the Marvel Knights stuff. I suppose it's more comparable to Bendis' Daredevil or Brubaker's Captain America/Winter Soldier.

Edmondson's current stuff is more "action hero" Castle.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just saw Gone Girl... Amazing Movie, really fucking loved it. Seems like I should watch a couple of other Finch flicks soon
I have only seem Alien 3 and Zodiac...

My IST order arrived. Order made on Tuesday and showed up Saturday. That might be the quickest turnaround yet. This was a mix of some new comics and working off my wishlist. Aaaand now I own another variation of NF. Already have the single issues (somewhere), 2 trades I think i gave away, absolute, digital, and now the OHC. But at that price and a nice nice midtier reading option was to good to pass up

ReiGun

This is how out of the loop I've been; I figured Fraction's had wrapped up like a month ago and we were just waiting on Lemire's run. lmao wow.

Edit: Reading back, I saw you guys talking about Black History Month, and I wanted to drop this link to VixenVarsity's Black Comics Month. Basically, a blogger I follow on Twitter has been writing about black comics characters and interviewing black creators for February. It's been good stuff, so take a look when you can.

Catching up on MU new releases. I'm glad I didn't spend money on Original Sin. Just read #7 of 8 and this thing is all over the map. I still don't get the point of the event outside some editorial giant hand moving Nick Fury off the marvel board to serve their MCU masters

This is how out of the loop I've been; I figured Fraction's had wrapped up like a month ago and we were just waiting on Lemire's run. lmao wow.

Edit: Reading back, I saw you guys talking about Black History Month, and I wanted to drop this link to VixenVarsity's Black Comics Month. Basically, a blogger I follow on Twitter has been writing about black comics characters and interviewing black creators for February. It's been good stuff, so take a look when you can.

oooh, thanks for the link. I'll give it a look

Top Bottom