• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

I really need this. I am going insane being at home at all the time. It's been freezing until today, I nearly put my fist through the screen because of Hearthstone and losing a cup tie in Football Manager and the only coffee in the house is the instant I keep for when my mother calls round since she won't drink the brewed stuff. I should also probably shave my beard for this job, but I have no blades or even any moisturiser so if I shave my ezcema will run wild like Hulkamania in 1985. You can't really serve the public with half a face.

Nerves are bad right now.

No kidding. But why would you shave your beard? Beards are manly.

No kidding. But why would you shave your beard? Beards are manly.

I just assume it wouldn't look good to the public. I assume if I'm going to have to cover the tickets/snacks part at times then I'll be serving food so I'd probably have to cut or wear a beard hairnet or something.

I do maintain it though, and I get a trim at a barber every three weeks or so to even it out (it's only €3 for this, even as a member of PovertyGAF it's well worth it IMO). The part under my chin is not as fully grown as I'd like either as I started it later since I thought it would look better without it (I've only had my beard since Halloween or so).

I just assume it wouldn't look good to the public. I assume if I'm going to have to cover the tickets/snacks part at times then I'll be serving food so I'd probably have to cut or wear a beard hairnet or something.

Pfffft. Those people should be so lucky to get a manly beard whisker in their food.

I don't like full beards. I do a 5 o'clock shadow and get that Adam Levine thing going on.

cCkMZgd.jpg

See, I can't do that. I'm pale with really dark hair, so if I shave at 9, by 5 it looks like a 16-year-old's attempt at a beard. It's why I grew the beard, I'm just accepting my fate.

I do maintain it though, and I get a trim at a barber every three weeks or so to even it out (it's only €3 for this, even as a member of PovertyGAF it's well worth it IMO). The part under my chin is not as fully grown as I'd like either as I started it later since I thought it would look better without it (I've only had my beard since Halloween or so).

That, pencilthins and ye olde ringbearde are the most common beard mistakes i see.

Anyway, post a pic and we'll tell you if the beard should be kept.

Cheska

So I just finished the first Nightwing trade by O'Neil/Land/Dixon/McDaniel, the Blüdhaven story. It was....okay. I think I was just expecting something a little more epic, but I found the art pages by McDaniel to be far too crowded and confusing. Maybe the next storyline picks things up.

Messi

I really hope Gotham Academy doesn't go away soon. They are doing great work but I assume it's doing badly considering the creators are doing a campaign to get more people to buy it on Twitter.

I really hope Gotham Academy doesn't go away soon. They are doing great work but I assume it's doing badly considering the creators are doing a campaign to get more people to buy it on Twitter.

It's still on the list of books sticking around after the reboot, so that's good.

Gotham Academy 1 $2.99 DC 43,338
Gotham Academy 2 $2.99 DC 31,110
Gotham Academy 3 $2.99 DC 26,509
Gotham Academy 4 $2.99 DC 22,576

DEATH SPIRAL.

Heavy drama in dat last panel.

I mean, it's true. He's kind of a monster when you think about it.

OH YEAH! Grayson is good stuff.

I bet you female gaze Dick pretty hard.

Gotham Academy 1 $2.99 DC 43,338
Gotham Academy 2 $2.99 DC 31,110
Gotham Academy 3 $2.99 DC 26,509
Gotham Academy 4 $2.99 DC 22,576

DEATH SPIRAL.

I mean, it's true. He's kind of a monster when you think about it.

I bet you female gaze Dick pretty hard.

Gotham Acad is already confirmed for Nu 53. You know its cleaning up on that digi.

Boogiepop

(Sorry for being all manga-y in here again, but...) Finished up reading through the Tezuka stuff I own in English last night with MW. It really is interesting to see such dark stuff from Tezuka, but honestly there's plenty of that sort of thing from him. And he handles it really well, gotta love the class of ending that one chapter with
the trashy magazine woman hiding the photos of the priest at the gay/cross-dressing club
. He really nicely avoided giving the book a homophobic feel, despite it hanging out very closely with the "evil homosexual/crossdressing serial killer" trope that I've heard is awkwardly recurrent and somewhat troublesome in media.

But yeah, since I finished Jojo yesterday, today I'm starting up my read through of Astro Boy in Japanese. It's definitely a bit rougher to read manga without the furigana, but it's more doable than I was expecting at least. It'll still take some getting used to though.

PsychBat!

Banned
Someday people are going to learn that events are garbage...someday.
Disagree. And generalizing events when The Thanos Imperative exists, I don't know, Zombine.

And ASM #14 was the only underwhelming issue so far, the event overall is pretty good (again, so far).

Vyer

I saw that last weekend. Good fun. My father in law got me tickets for Christmas. Its cheesy as hell but Im sure your kid will like it.

just got back. that about describes it. really cheesy and the constant barrage of witty one liners kinda grows old quick. but nice effects, goofy costumes, loud, action....the kid loved it.

A performer at our show actually got hurt. They had to bring up the lights and stop the whole thing and they eventually carted the person off on a stretcher. He/She gave a thumbs up to the crowd on the way out, so at least there's that. Pretty crazy.

Disagree. And generalizing events when The Thanos Imperative exists, I don't know, Zombine.

And ASM #14 was the only underwhelming issue so far, the event overall is pretty good (again, so far).

Thanos Imperative wasn't really an event though, it was a mini with two one-shots.

frye

(Sorry for being all manga-y in here again, but...) Finished up reading through the Tezuka stuff I own in English last night with MW. It really is interesting to see such dark stuff from Tezuka, but honestly there's plenty of that sort of thing from him. And he handles it really well, gotta love the class of ending that one chapter with
the trashy magazine woman hiding the photos of the priest at the gay/cross-dressing club
. He really nicely avoided giving the book a homophobic feel, despite it hanging out very closely with the "evil homosexual/crossdressing serial killer" trope that I've heard is awkwardly recurrent and somewhat troublesome in media.

I remember being 13 or 14 and picking up MW in the library on a whim. It's a comic that genuinely blew my mind, especially as a kid who was (and still is) a gigantic fan of Monster. I knew who Tezuka was of course, and I'd read him before, but I had no idea what this book was about. I especially remember the moment where I was like "oh shit! this is where Urasawa stole Monster from!" which basically no one mentions when they talk about Monster, unlike the relationship between Astro Boy/Pluto.

Crimson Empire's probably the best Star Wars comic ever.

I hate to turn this into Shards |OT| again but I've got an interview tomorrow morning for another placement. This time it's the local cinema, being their tech guy and general dogsbody. The positive is the woman who sets up my placements already has one guy there and he got a full time job (he's the greeter). The bad thing is it's a one-month placement with a small cost-of-living bonus (not so bad), followed by nine months of unemployment + wage subsidies (I guess it's okay, but I won't be BALLIN' any time soon). Though if I do well, my chances are good for a full-time job at the end.

I really need this. I am going insane being at home at all the time. It's been freezing until today, I nearly put my fist through the screen because of Hearthstone and losing a cup tie in Football Manager and the only coffee in the house is the instant I keep for when my mother calls round since she won't drink the brewed stuff. I should also probably shave my beard for this job, but I have no blades or even any moisturiser so if I shave my ezcema will run wild like Hulkamania in 1985. You can't really serve the public with half a face.

Nerves are bad right now.

Good luck. Hope it works out.

I've re-read Vader three times now. Think I must have enjoyed it.

Aizo

Banned
I have a couple questions.

I've just finished watching the Young Justice cartoon, which is making me want to go back and read my Young Justice comics and continue back with the Geoff Johns run of Teen Titans after "Graduation Day." I never finished that (only have a few trades and then like 5 single issues after that), because stuff like Infinite Crisis confused my childhood brain so much. On to my questions.

1. Is the "Titans" run in 2008 worth reading after I finish Teen Titans?
2. Do you have any recommendations for a similar sort of atmosphere to the Young Justice cartoon (not other cartoons—I'm looking for comics)? i.e. Ensemble cast, younger team members, heavy on character development and character relationships?

Thanks!

Good luck. Hope it works out.

I've re-read Vader three times now. Think I must have enjoyed it.

Appreciated.

I have a couple questions.

I've just finished watching the Young Justice cartoon, which is making me want to go back and read my Young Justice comics and continue back with the Geoff Johns run of Teen Titans after "Graduation Day." I never finished that (only have a few trades and then like 5 single issues after that), because stuff like Infinite Crisis confused my childhood brain so much. On to my questions.

1. Is the "Titans" run in 2008 worth reading after I finish Teen Titans?
2. Do you have any recommendations for a similar sort of atmosphere to the Young Justice cartoon (not other cartoons—I'm looking for comics)? i.e. Ensemble cast, younger team members, heavy on character development and character relationships?

I can't answer 1 since I quit Johns' Teen Titans after Titans East, but as far as 2 I'd say
- Harbinger (the 2012 reboot version)
- Runaways
- Avengers Academy/Arena/Undercover (Academy in particular is all teen drama, so good, one of my favs)
- Young Avengers (at least the Heinberg run, Gillen & McKelvie's is great but I don't think it's what you're looking for).

Maybe the Waid-era Legion of Super Heroes as well.

just got back. that about describes it. really cheesy and the constant barrage of witty one liners kinda grows old quick. but nice effects, goofy costumes, loud, action....the kid loved it.

A performer at our show actually got hurt. They had to bring up the lights and stop the whole thing and they eventually carted the person off on a stretcher. He/She gave a thumbs up to the crowd on the way out, so at least there's that. Pretty crazy.

Unfortunate to hear about the accident. Hopefully, the recovery wont be long.

Aizo

Banned
Appreciated.

I can't answer 1 since I quit Johns' Teen Titans after Titans East, but as far as 2 I'd say
- Harbinger (the 2012 reboot version)
- Runaways
- Avengers Academy/Arena/Undercover (Academy in particular is all teen drama, so good, one of my favs)
- Young Avengers (at least the Heinberg run, Gillen & McKelvie's is great but I don't think it's what you're looking for).

Maybe the Waid-era Legion of Super Heroes as well.
I read the first Runaways omnibus, so up to
when Alex is killed and the first major arch concludes, I suppose.
Should I read more?
I read Avengers Arena, but didn't like it too much. Maybe I should jump back into Academy, and then read Undercover, just so I can see what Nico is up to.

I've had Young Avengers for a while, so maybe I should start that. I'll check out Harbinger! Thank you!
Edit: I've never read a Valiant comic. Time for change, it seems.

Top Bottom