• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

I know you've read most of Future's end, and I've only read 6 issues or so...but based on the presumed knowledge that Terry exists within the DCAU, is he trying to save the DCAU or the main universe? If he's trying to save the main universe isn't it pointless because those events never happened there?

Different (Terry) Batman. His version of the future is obviously different than the established one. Also won't exist when Future's End doesn't happen.

Well I've posted here several times, but thanks :p

Sorry didn't realize that.

FrankenCastle was great. I loved it. A lot of Punisher fans hated it though, cause it was too weird for them. I wish it went on for a while longer.

I need to re-read it. Seriously, it was a great fucking story, and Tony Moore did fantastic art on it. Good villain too.

eh, Franken Castle was going pretty well, but then i guess editorial went "yo, we know you getting mad praise on this thing and punisher comics not titled max are selling again,buuut... status quo ante." And then they quickly threw it all away.

Was sad, mang, even with the gorgeous end of arc art :(

Also, Da
tsuooooo
was hilarious.

Zombine

Banned
Different (Terry) Batman. His version of the future is obviously different than the established one. Also won't exist when Future's End doesn't happen.

Sorry didn't realize that.

Did you catch up reading Wolfsmund yet? Vol 4-5 definitely need to be read together.

Well I've posted here several times, but thanks :p

Who's up for making a Justice League #38 spoilers
"Batman Has Superpowers Now"
thread to watch the ignorant shitstorm that ensues?

"And that's why I don't read comics".

Repeat for five pages.

ThyComicList

ARCHIE COMICS:
AFTERLIFE W/ ARCHIE MAGAZINE #4

DARK HORSE:
HELLBOY AND THE B.P.R.D. 1952 #3

DC COMICS:
ACTION COMICS #39 (DCBS)
BATMAN ETERNAL #44
DETECTIVE COMICS #39
SUPERMAN #38

DYNAMITE:
SHAFT #3

IMAGE:
HUMANS #4 (DCBS)
NAMELESS #1 (DCBS)
SAGA #25
VELVET #9
WYTCHES #4

MARVEL:
HAWKEYE #21
MS. MARVEL #11
PUNISHER #15 (DCBS)
STAR WARS #2
UNITED STATES OF MURDER INC. #6

Messi

You read Sex Criminals and Hawkeye, right? I don't see why not.

Nah, she's from Australia and can do time related stuff. It's probably the hair or something.

I always get the idea that she's got some kind of native blood in her as well.

I really like Sex Criminals and Hawkeye.

Harley in Injustice is amazing.

One of the best versions in years.

1409621635423.jpg

Zombine

Banned
JC got himself banned again. If he doesn't figure out who he's pissing off and why he'll end up like Freaky Fred.

NeonZ

Is Hyperion supposed to be Superman? And wasn't that Sentry's gimmick?

Are these Avengers like Captain Universe, Smasher and Hyperion new characters and we're just pretending they existed or did I miss more than I thought?

...Is hickman just being hickman?

Hyperion (and his friends from the "Not Justice League"/Squadron Supreme) exist since the 70s. And, yes, he's basically Superman with names and designs changed. There are quite a few different parallel world versions of Hyperion though, and the one currently in Avengers is a new one created by Hickman, who differs from the classic one because he was found and brought up by a man called "Father".

Back in the 80s, Marvel used the classic Squadron Supreme to tell a story about the "Not-Justice League" attempting to conquer their world to improve it, with NightHawk, the "Not-Batman", turning against them. That seems to have inspired quite a few actual DC stories afterwards... Marvel even made an "Ultimate" version of them too (Supreme Power)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Dudes, I cant believe it, I finally hunted down a english version of the second Superman/Spider-Man Crossover... Holy shit, I were for month after this book and now I find it from a person who has no idea what he owns and I get it for 8€ :D

Finally, now I own every Spider-Man/DC-Character Crossover there ever was :D

Another big step to my goal, to own every Spider-Man book who was ever printed (which I can buy without beeing a billionair).

So great :D

Fintan

Dudes, I cant believe it, I finally hunted down a english version of the second Superman/Spider-Man Crossover... Holy shit, I were for month after this book and now I find it from a person who has no idea what he owns and I get it for 8€ :D

Finally, now I own every Spider-Man/DC-Character Crossover there ever was :D

Another big step to my goal, to own every Spider-Man book who was ever printed (which I can buy without beeing a billionair).

So great :D
How much of all the classic Spider-Man comics have you read? I've read a reasonable amount but I'm thinking of going back and doing a full read through of Amazing on Marvel Unlimited and hopefully whatever other series they have. Although I seem to remember reading that MU is missing a fair bit of some of the non-Amazing Spidey books.

So what you're telling me is that it's just like every comic ever printed? I mean, except for those autobiographical comics that people make because they're too lazy to write a real book.

God, no. Civil War actually happened.

Current lunch reading:

Uncanny Xmen omnibus vol #2

Always wanted to read these stories, and I'm a sucker for thick hardcovers.

The first omnibus is on my to-buy list.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
How much of all the classic Spider-Man comics have you read? I've read a reasonable amount but I'm thinking of going back and doing a full read through of Amazing on Marvel Unlimited and hopefully whatever other series they have. Although I seem to remember reading that MU is missing a fair bit of some of the non-Amazing Spidey books.

I have booth classic Spider-Man Omnis, which starts with Amazing Fantasy 15 and go up until #67

The problem is, that the first issues are unreadable today. I like some parts like the first Issue of Amazing (Have a Reprint Issue of this one, its, one of my biggest treasures), Doc Ocks first appearence, but most stuff is far to corny. So I am stucked about issue 10,11,12 and cant get myself to read further.
But I know that when John Romita Sr. joins the series, things will be much better and its going to be readable again. There are a couple of stories I really like, like Spider-Man No More or the first appearence of King Pin.
I really hope, we get a Vol. 3 at some point.

After this, the reprinted stuff is very selected. They offer the important stuff like Death of the Stacys, etc., but there is tons of stuff missing until the clone saga stars, from which is as good as everything is avaible (Partly to insane prices, Marvel needs to Reprint some of the Clone Saga Epics ASAP!).

When you plan reading the old Spidey stuff, you have to keep in mind, that the comics are corny as hell. I think its interesting from a historic perspective, but when I were not the Spideyfanboy I am, I would skip it and start when Romita joins the party and read until Conway leaves and then skip forward to Stern and then Michelinies Run.

Fintan

I have booth classic Spider-Man Omnis, which starts with Amazing Fantasy 15 and go up until #67

The problem is, that the first issues are unreadable today. I like some parts like the first Issue of Amazing (Have a Reprint Issue of this one, its, one of my biggest treasures), Doc Ocks first appearence, but most stuff is far to corny. So I am stucked about issue 10,11,12 and cant get myself to read further.
But I know that when John Romita Sr. joins the series, things will be much better and its going to be readable again. There are a couple of stories I really like, like Spider-Man No More or the first appearence of King Pin.
I really hope, we get a Vol. 3 at some point.

After this, the reprinted stuff is very selected. They offer the important stuff like Death of the Stacys, etc., but there is tons of stuff missing until the clone saga stars, from which is as good as everything is avaible (Partly to insane prices, Marvel needs to Reprint some of the Clone Saga Epics ASAP!).

When you plan reading the old Spidey stuff, you have to keep in mind, that the comics are corny as hell. I think its interesting from a historic perspective, but when I were not the Spideyfanboy I am, I would skip it and start when Romita joins the party and read until Conway leaves and then skip forward to Stern and then Michelinies Run.
Yeah, I read most of the big Lee/Ditko stories when they were reprinted in the Panini reprints back in the day, so I think I will start with Romita, like you say.

Did you ever read the Howard Mackie era of Amazing just before JMS? That was what I started with. Looking back, it was so bad. Mattie Franklin as Spider-Man, The Gathering of Five etc

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Did you ever read the Howard Mackie era of Amazing just before JMS? That was what I started with. Looking back, it was so bad. Mattie Franklin as Spider-Man, The Gathering of Five etc

I own a couple of Clone Saga/Ben Reilly Epics, I still need to buy a handfull. The problem here is, that two of them are OOP and are sold for insane prices.
Gathering of Five is already bought, I plan to read it, when I have all Clone Saga book since it is kind of conclusion to it.
The Mackie stuff that came with the renumbering is yet to be bought. I have heard from a lot of peoples that the stuff is horrible and since it seems like the avaiability is still good, I havent considered buying it yet. Also, there is a 10 Issue gap that kinda holds me off. I cant understant why they dont release a fucking Trade for those 10 Issuegap. I see no reason to not fill it up...

After this, I should start exchanging my german translations of Ultimate Spider-Man against english ones... The stuff that introduced me back then together with JMS to Marvel comics :D

But currently I am more focused more on buying One Shots and Limited Series^^

Opena's art on Hickman's Avengers #1 is gorgeous. Also lol at the very first few pages being a bunch of cosmic nonsense, Hickman really can't help himself can he :p

It's cool to go back to those first couple of pages throughout his run as the events actually happen.

But those came out after?

Anyway Cannonball and Sunspot in the Avengers? :eek: and I don't know who most of these people are :(

Hyperion? Manifold? Smasher? Shang-Chi? Captain Universe? o_O

Manifold is from Hickman's Secret Warriors book.

Just wait until you get to the New Universe-related character...

Messi

So it seems Cameron Stewart is sharing a studio with Frank Quitely.

It's like a clash of ComicsGAF style. Girly hijinks vs Morrison/Quitely fancyGAF

I respect the work Quitely does and anything bad I say about him here is in jest. But his style rarely appeals to me. It's just about different tastes. He is a great artist though.

Stewart is definitely one of the most versatile cartoonists out there. His stuff on Batman & Robin was totally inspired by Quitely's style and then he can turn around and draw Apocalypstix which is Jamie Hewlett deluxe, Seaguy, etc, dude can just do anything.

Seeing his stuff in person about six or seven years ago was a real highlight. He had Apocalypstix originals and you could just see the fire on the page.

Top Bottom