• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Just read the first arc of Lucifer and I had to turn back to the cover just to make sure it wasn't written by Gaiman. Comics like this really validate the medium imo
Yea Carey was amazing at keeping the tone of Gaimans work but also able to create his own thing too. I went into that series super skeptical and found it to be an amazing series.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Knowing about Secret Wars makes this Hickman stuff better I think.

Also this feels like more F4 just like Uncanny Avengers felt like more Uncanny X-Force. I mean that in a good way of course. It's funny, back in the day when I used to read before stopping I never really paid atention to who the writers or artists were. Sure I was younger and the Internet wasn't what it is today. But it's funny to look back.

I feel like I missed a lot today.

B8yDkIyIQAIm78O.jpg

That's pretty awesome, Korupt.

CATw27h.jpg

Don't know if I asked here already but what's up with the frothing hate for the new Thor that's bad enough to the point that most places I go call her "Whor"?

There are fans and then there are "fans".

"Fans" are assholes.

Spider-Woman new costume is trash tho

I'm just gonna go ahead and disag-oh you're banned.

I guess Ms Drew has the last laugh in that case.

Spider-Woman-card-3.jpg

To combine the earlier talk of Mark Waid and the recent talk of the Fantastic Four, I give you my favorite FF story ever: the Fantastic Four meet God (who happens to be Jack Kirby)

img_2462.jpg

The hell.

My something random ended up being Black Widow #1 and I loved it. More spy stuff pls Marvel. Great art too. Between this, Hawkguy, Storm and Magneto I'm really digging these solo books

Black Widow is a great book, but I always feel like I need to take some lithium or thorazine when I read it.

Goddammit, Natasha. Why are you so goddamn miserable all the time. You have friends. Go have some damn fun. You know what? Go hang out with Deadpool or something. Be miserable together.

Punisher isn't on MU

Rucka's run is god-tier.

Black Widow is a very easy read, already on #5. Any fans? I'm really digging it and I usually wouldn't give 2 fucks about Natasha (then again I would say the same about Clint before Hawkguy)

Yeah, a lot of the new solo books are really great. Hawkeye and Black Widow are fantastic. The Marvel NOW stuff has been mostly hitting it in the right spot for me.

Daredevil, Punisher, Moon Knight, Hawkeye, Ms Marvel, Deadpool are all great titles. I'm reading Deathlok, but it's sorta eh.

ayy lmao JC was banned the week a new Stray Bullets comes out

Damn, I was thinking about buying it, if only someone was around to recommend it... oh well...

Yo, seriously, this page still bugs the fuck outta me.

Dunno what the hell Gerads was thinking.

Happy Black History Month, everybody!

To be fair to Gerads, I'm sure the lips were just like that on the page he was tracing too

Right, so my Image Hit List update:

Casanova
Deadly Class
Nameless
Zero
Manhattan Projects
Velvet
Thief of Thieves
ODY-C
Black Science
East of West
The Fade Out
Chew

Caught up to Thief of Thieves today. Really enjoyed it. It's nothing new or terribly special, but I love these kind of crime/caper stories. It's also pretty obvious that Kirkman designed this to eventually become a television show. It has that feel to it. Art's decent. I like most of the characters, but I think Conrad's wife is written to shrill and his son is a straight up dumbass while he's basically infallible almost always. They had a really creepy bad guy in the third/fourth arc though.

Alright, next shall be... Deadly Class or Chew. Probably Chew.

I'm already reading Sex Criminals, Southern Bastards, and Wytches, so yeah, I'm not a total lost cause.

rude

Banned
Yea Carey was amazing at keeping the tone of Gaimans work but also able to create his own thing too. I went into that series super skeptical and found it to be an amazing series.
Just from the first arc I can tell this series is going to dive heavily into religion/mythicism in a way that Sandman didn't though. The way the basanos were introduced and written was so interesting.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yo I thought New Avengers was going to be all fun and games with luke cage and thing and wolverine and shit having fun (I guess that was the previous volume lol) instead I get hickman being the most hickman he can be and a bunch of assholes being assholes and talking about killing worlds and mind wiping Cap.

Grinch-Smile-GIF-the-grinch-27844611-500-363.gif

Nudull

Banned
I'm surprised that Japan hasn't tried an ongoing Batman anime. Did Gotham Knight not do that well overseas?

Rhaknar

When did the whole Frankencastle thing happen btw? Would like to read that, sounds so silly

When did the whole Frankencastle thing happen btw? Would like to read that, sounds so silly

It happened after the Dark Reign event.
Daken cuts Frank up after Frank tried to kill Norman Osbourne, then Frank got stitched back up by the Universal Monsters to fight a psychotic German monster hunter.

FrankenCastle was great. I loved it. A lot of Punisher fans hated it though, cause it was too weird for them. I wish it went on for a while longer.

I need to re-read it. Seriously, it was a great fucking story, and Tony Moore did fantastic art on it. Good villain too.

Rhaknar

It happened after the Dark Reign event.
Daken cuts Frank up after Frank tried to kill Norman Osbourne, then Frank got stitched back up by the Universal Monsters to fight a psychotic German monster hunter.

FrankenCastle was great. I loved it. A lot of Punisher fans hated it though, cause it was too weird for them. I wish it went on for a while longer.

I need to re-read it. Seriously, it was a great fucking story, and Tony Moore did fantastic art on it. Good villain too.

happen to know the issues or series?

Rhaknar

Remender run. 2009 series. Went 21 issues, at some point the title was renamed 'FrankenCastle'

Shit, I really need to re-read FrankenCastle now. It was legit amazing.

Found it. Either MU is lying or Remender only writes the actual Frankencastle part. Thank you

I really need to read all of (and I mean all, like I did with AvX) of Dark Reign one of these days. Civil War too

I need to get a cheap old ipad or something to read comics at home. The Note 4 is fine, especially for work, but I wouldnt mind something bigger for when I'm at home

Found it. Either MU is lying or Remender only writes the actual Frankencastle part. Thank you

I really need to read all of (and I mean all, like I did with AvX) of Dark Reign one of these days. Civil War too

I need to get a cheap old ipad or something to read comics at home. The Note 4 is fine, especially for work, but I wouldnt mind something bigger for when I'm at home

No, Reminder writes the whole thing.

Civil War was so awful.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Contrary other Events, it doesnt have a lasting effect anymore, so why put all the effort in a book that doesnt matter anymore? I dont get it, how people put so much energy in hating this...

Rhaknar

Contrary other Events, it doesnt have a lasting effect anymore, so why put all the effort in a book that doesnt matter anymore? I dont get it, how people put so much energy in hating this...

because it was something major that happened in a medium I love while I was in my block of ice and I want to read it, is that so strange?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
because it was something major that happened in a medium I love while I was in my block of ice and I want to read it, is that so strange?

Yeah, but its nine years since after the event ended and five after the the last big fallout out of Civil War went away, and still people act with a hate like it had happened yesterday.

This isnt like, for example, One More Day, which still influences the current books.

And still, without Civil War we wouldnt have got great stuff like Bucky Cap or Dark Reign.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, but its nine years since after the event ended and five after the the last big fallout out of Civil War went away, and still people act with a hate like it had happened yesterday.

This isnt like, for example, One More Day, which still influences the current books.

And still, without Civil War we wouldnt have got great stuff like Bucky Cap or Dark Reign.

Civil War led to One More Day, sure they'd have found a way to do it anyway but serving that opportunity up on a platter can never be forgiven.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Civil War led to One More Day, sure they'd have found a way to do it anyway but serving that opportunity up on a platter can never be forgiven.

I think its pretty obivious that they planned OMD before Civil War and just connected it because they saw the opportunity.

Fintan

I feel like Hickman's Avengers run is doing a much better job of conflict between superheroes than Civil War did.

Rhaknar

Is Hyperion supposed to be Superman? And wasn't that Sentry's gimmick?

Are these Avengers like Captain Universe, Smasher and Hyperion new characters and we're just pretending they existed or did I miss more than I thought?

...Is hickman just being hickman?

Rhaknar

Adam Kubert on Avengers, love me some Adam Kubert. And after a issue explaining Hyperion, a issue explaining this female Smasher and a issue explaining this new Captain Universe I conclude that hickman was just being hickman and dropping all this crazyness on us in the first issues with no explanation

GAMEPROFF

Banned
After your posts, that the DCAU still matters, I am tempted to play devils advocate and tell those dudes in the OT, that the DCAU is according to you guys here not event mentioned in the Multiversity Guidebook, which makes it not existent anymore *g*

After your posts, that the DCAU still matters, I am tempted to play devils advocate and tell those dudes in the OT, that the DCAU is according to you guys here not event mentioned in the Multiversity Guidebook, which makes it not existent anymore *g*

It's the Batman Beyond Universe.

Batman the Animated Series
Superman the Animated Series
Justice League
Justice League Unlimited
Batman Beyond

Oh and Static Shock / Project Zeta, I believe.

Zombine

Banned
It's the Batman Beyond Universe.

Batman the Animated Series
Superman the Animated Series
Justice League
Justice League Unlimited
Batman Beyond

Oh and Static Shock / Project Zeta, I believe.

Yeah, it's one of those that needs clarification, but I think you're right.

Yeah, it's one of those that needs clarification, but I think you're right.

Batman Beyond is the future of the DCAU. Justice Lords spun out of the DCAU. We had an ongoing Batman Beyond less than a year ago. Seems silly to not acknowledge it.

It's a better universe than 90% on that list. ;)

PsychBat!

Banned
Is Hyperion supposed to be Superman? And wasn't that Sentry's gimmick?

Are these Avengers like Captain Universe, Smasher and Hyperion new characters and we're just pretending they existed or did I miss more than I thought?
Captain Universe has been in the Marvel Universe for a loooooong time. Like before some of us were born. Smasher as you read is part of the Shiar Imperial Guard and like Captain Universe there's no sole Smasher. Hyperion is a super hero from an alternate universe that kind of resembles Superman other than looks.

But man, you weren't kidding. You must have ONLY been reading X-Men comics.

Zombine

Banned
He is indeed. He shows up a couple of times in the series.

I was rolling during his first arc.
Dying on command
is the best power ever.

Batman Beyond is the future of the DCAU. Justice Lords spun out of the DCAU. We had an ongoing Batman Beyond less than a year ago. Seems silly to not acknowledge it.

It's a better universe than 90% on that list. ;)

I know you've read most of Future's end, and I've only read 6 issues or so...but based on the presumed knowledge that Terry exists within the DCAU, is he trying to save the DCAU or the main universe? If he's trying to save the main universe isn't it pointless because those events never happened there?

Zombine

Banned
Well I've posted here several times, but thanks :p

Who's up for making a Justice League #38 spoilers
"Batman Has Superpowers Now"
thread to watch the ignorant shitstorm that ensues?

Lol we generally couldn't give a single fuck about what the OT thinks about comics. We'll leave that one to NTGYK.

Here's the spoiler for that thread:

"Comics R dumb. I love Chris Pratt and Groot tho."

Top Bottom