• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

ReAxion

5223ab67e691b22d45883a8e_736.jpg

hola senorita
PnylhBO.gif

Isak_Borg

Ales Kot being a top writer at the Big 2 would be kinda weird to me. I got the impression that he was only doing that shit for money

jaja!

I think you have to realize a lot of these folks were fans before they became writers and sometimes enjoy playing in Marvel/DCs sandbox. It also provides them with a larger audience to tell whatever narrative they want to tell but I do think everyone prefers creating their own work.

I think given the opportunity he would def do it but I think it'll be kind of like Hickman where he tells the story he wants to tell and walks away.

If anything I think it's better for folks to tell their story and walk away then be like Claremont who just lingers around for years until no one really wants him around.

Nathan Fairbairn writes about the superiority of digital comics when it comes to coloring. His process blog posts are fascinating, y'all should read them.

http://nathanfairbairn.tumblr.com/
Yeah, hes got a pretty good blog. I've checked it out a few times. This is a comparison for colors covered under RGB v CMYK.

kTgvCXc.jpg

There's more to it than just this but itll give you a good idea of what the limits of printing are in representing color. I've hear there are some high end printers that use more than just CMYK but I don't have any experience with them.

Yeah, I think he's going to be taking a year sabbatical from Marvel once Secret Wars is done.

Dude has had two Amazing runs so far and probably told the story he wanted to tell. He'll be back when he has something fresh to say, kind of like Brubaker.

I think Ales Kot is probably going to be the next superstar writer for Marvel as Bendis and other folks slowly transition into more appropriate roles.
Agree on all counts.

I think Kot is likely the next guy to get really big. He's really very thoughtful. Judging from his Tumblr, I don't he's a guy that would like to stay in the Big 2 muck too long. I guess we will see.

ReAxion

I think Kot is likely the next guy to get really big. He's really very thoughtful. Judging from his Tumblr, I don't he's a guy that would like to stay in the Big 2 much too long. I guess we will see.

I can totally see him laying out something for Marvel editorial and them just kinda nodding along confused but completely blown away.

fertygo

I think Morrison is best read in collections, his single issues tend to be really kind of build up then massive fucking conclusion. It all makes sense in context.

Annihilator are quite easy to follow I thought, Nameless first issue start with trippy sequence but ended up straight.

fauxtrot

Banned
I just got Marvel Unlimited.

I don't even know where to start.

At the beginning. If you're not reading everything Marvel has ever released in chronological order, you're doing it wrong.

Please don't actually do this.

jaja!

I think you have to realize a lot of these folks were fans before they became writers and sometimes enjoy playing in Marvel/DCs sandbox. It also provides them with a larger audience to tell whatever narrative they want to tell but I do think everyone prefers creating their own work.

I think given the opportunity he would def do it but I think it'll be kind of like Hickman where he tells the story he wants to tell and walks away.

If anything I think it's better for folks to tell their story and walk away then be like Claremont who just lingers around for years until no one really wants him around.

Yeah, I think it's smart for guys like him to work at the Big 2 and build their reputation for a time so they can eventually head to a publisher like Image when their name alone is enough for them to end up with sustainable sales on original work that they actually want to do. That's not to say that a lot of these guys don't want to play in Marvel/DC's sandbox for a while... I just imagine editorial mandates are a chore to work with.

In no particular order:

Ultimate Spider-Man - Bendis
Daredevil - Bendis / Brubaker / Waid
Runaways - Vaughan
Immortal Iron Fist - Fraction
Captain America - Brubaker
Hawkeye - Fraction
Astonishing X-Men - Whedon
Uncanny X-Force - Remender
The Ultimates - Millar

Good luck!

In no particular order:

Ultimate Spider-Man - Bendis
Daredevil - Bendis / Brubaker / Waid
Runaways - Vaughan
Immortal Iron Fist - Fraction
Hawkeye - Fraction
Astonishing X-Men - Whedon
Uncanny X-Force - Remender
The Ultimates - Millar

Good luck!

I've read half of both Iron Fist and Hawkeye and some of Waid's Daredevil. Lol at Ultimates.

I'll check out some of the rest.

Isak_Borg

Yeah, I think it's smart for guys like him to work at the Big 2 and build their reputation for a time so they can eventually head to a publisher like Image when their name alone is enough for them to end up with sustainable sales on original work that they actually want to do.

Yup!

I thought Wild Children was an amazing title that no one really picked up. I've been a fan since I read that book and really think he has some interesting things to say.

I also think we're at the point of market penetration tho where you can go your entire career without working for the big two if you put out quality books. Image is just knocking it out of the park right now.

Marvel Comics
Ant-Man #2
Hawkeye #21
Ms. Marvel #11
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #2

Image Comics
Birthright #5
Nameless #1
Velvet #9

Dark Horse
Hellboy and the BPRD 1952 #3
Lady Killer #2

Why LOL at the Ultimates? Not for everyone but a really good self contained story and Ultimate Spidey is one of the best takes on the character and a fantastic run of over 100+ solid issues.

Millar Ultimates is good-to-great, homie

From what I've heard of it, it's not my thing.

Not to put you on the spot Baron,

but we should really put some kind of infographic together for every time somebody comes in here asking this question.

Yeah, probably.

Yeah, hes got a pretty good blog. I've checked it out a few times. This is a comparison for colors covered under RGB v CMYK.

kTgvCXc.jpg

There's more to it than just this but itll give you a good idea of what the limits of printing are in representing color. I've hear there are some high end printers that use more than just CMYK but I don't have any experience with them.
Wow, I have experience working with both RGB and CMYK but I never saw a visual comparison before. Pretty eye-opening!

Uncanny X-Force by Remender

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Read Nameless and loved every second of it. It's badically Inception, Armageddon, The Mattix, and Interstellar.

I'm with you, you're losing me, dear god you lost me, and I haven't seen Mconohay in space yet.

Can't wait to grab Nameless tomorrow.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
New comic thread in the OT.

This one is gonna take a long while.

You know what, as long as the OT shuts up about today's Hawkeye until at least tomorrow night, everything is sort of okay.

Messi

it was okay for what it was.

I've been enjoying All New X-men & GOTG so really have no problem with this.

Is it just more of what we have come to expect from those books? I found trial of jean grey was like that. I was enjoying the books and moved easily into trial and enjoyed that too.

PsychBat!

Banned
Black Vortex just showed me what the Guardians did on their time off and it's the same thing they do in their own book.

NOTHING.
Man, Kitty kissing Peter also doesn't make sense.

fauxtrot

Banned
Just a reminder for those of you enjoying Ant-Man: Nick Spencer also wrote The Superior Foes of Spider-Man, which was fantastic and you can read the majority of it on Marvel Unlimited for the low monthly price of...

uKuBunO.gif

Just a reminder for those of you enjoying Ant-Man: Nick Spencer also wrote The Superior Foes of Spider-Man, which was fantastic and you can read the majority of it on Marvel Unlimited for the low monthly price of...

uKuBunO.gif

I'll wait for the hardcover.

...we're getting a hardcover, right?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Superior Foes is amazing

I read Nova #1 today...it was fiiiiine, you are all just a bunch of Dick fanboys. I went expecting it to give me herpes and kill my dog, it was completely unoffensive in my opinion. Big fat /shrug at all of youse.

Also the art was cool

Top Bottom