• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Hasn't he all but said he isn't going to be doing much marvel stuff for a while after Secret Wars?

He recently said he can see himself doing a GOTG or Star Wars story in 5 years. Will probably take a break from Marvel stuff until he has an opportunity to do that.

fauxtrot

Banned
Yeah, I know Hickman has said he is likely taking some time off from Marvel but I know he's always wanted to write X-Men, so I like to imagine his statements were more of his way of getting some leverage so Marvel would come to him with a killer deal to have control over the mutants for a few years... he couldn't say no to that, could he? :(

Dunbar

G Willow Wilson just tweeted that she would have a "big announcement" in the next few days. Would be damn cool if they were giving her the X Men books.

tim1138

Hasn't he all but said he isn't going to be doing much marvel stuff for a while after Secret Wars?

Yeah, I think he's going to be taking a year sabbatical from Marvel once Secret Wars is done.

Dude has had two Amazing runs so far and probably told the story he wanted to tell. He'll be back when he has something fresh to say, kind of like Brubaker.

I think Ales Kot is probably going to be the next superstar writer for Marvel as Bendis and other folks slowly transition into more appropriate roles.

Yep, dude has all but said the shipping schedule for Avengers and New Avengers burned him out. He's told his big story and now wants to focus on his creator owned stuff, no shame in that.

I agree 100% with Kot being a superstar, he's got the trappings of being the next Grant Morrison.

Messi

G Willow Wilson just tweeted that she would have a "big announcement" in the next few days. Would be damn cool if they were giving her the X Men books.

Her first X-Men issue was alright I suppose. It was kinda just there...but ill give it a few more to get going.

Edit: Friend just sat here reading my deadly class trade, finished it in one sitting. said it was meh and wouldn't feel the urge to buy a second volume. "Everyone is an asshole"

tumblr_lrlncrtcLN1qzl19p.gif

"I can't believe these guys ended up being so shady! I mean, they're bankers!"

She was on Rachel and Miles explain the X-Men the other week and I'd definitely like to read her as a regular X-writer.

Yep, dude has all but said the shipping schedule for Avengers and New Avengers burned him out. He's told his big story and now wants to focus on his creator owned stuff, no shame in that.

I agree 100% with Kot being a superstar, he's got the trappings of being the next Grant Morrison.
I absolutely love Zero but I don't like Secret Avengers or Bucky as much as I thought I would. Don't get me wrong, these are very good books but they feel somehow 'lazy', in that I feel they could be much better. The college freshman name dropping of philosophers and bands annoys me for example. It was cute at first but grew old pretty quickly.
Don't get me wrong, I think he's a very strong writer.

fauxtrot

Banned
Am I the only one that's worried that Nick Spencer and G. Willow Wilson's success may cause Marvel to spread them too thin across multiple titles and the quality of their work could suffer? I love both Ant-Man and Ms. Marvel so much right now that I'm genuinely concerned.

tim1138

Annihilator was totally worth harassing CMX support on Twitter all day about. I'm enjoying this more than Multiversity and I love Multiversity. The revelations in this issue took the story to the next level, it's just so good.

Owzers

Annihilator was totally worth harassing CMX support on Twitter all day about. I'm enjoying this more than Multiversity and I love Multiversity. The revelations in this issue took the story to the next level, it's just so good.

i'll wait for the humble bundle.

Drayco21

I just realized that Bendis' next book will most likely either be Black Panther, Captain Marvel, or Dr. Strange to coincide with their movies.

Hopefully Captain Marvel, I actually liked when he wrote Ms. Marvel in his team books, and even in Guardians, she's one of the few characters who doesn't make me want to eat a nail every line. We already know he writes magic about as well as he does cosmic team ensembles, so he should be kept far the hell away from Strange.

fertygo

I'm sad Bendis off X-Men, Eva better not shelved after this :(
Really like his both run..

Btw Nameless shaping to became another heavy hitter.

Messi

Hopefully Captain Marvel, I actually liked when he wrote Ms. Marvel in his team books, and even in Guardians, she's one of the few characters who doesn't make me want to eat a nail every line. We already know he writes magic about as well as he does cosmic team ensembles, so he should be kept far the hell away from Strange.

Would he be able to nail the emotional angles in Captain Marvel? Because Captain Marvel without the emotions is not something I want to read.

Isak_Borg

"
I absolutely love Zero but I don't like Secret Avengers or Bucky as much as I thought I would. Don't get me wrong, these are very good books but they feel somehow 'lazy', in that I feel they could be much better. The college freshman name dropping of philosophers and bands annoys me for example. It was cute at first but grew old pretty quickly.

Ales can be a total name dropping prick at times but we talk every once and awhile and he's actually as nice as can be. The name dropping and over explaining at times can be grating but with a good editor in place it won't be an issue.

I haven't read Bucky past the first issue but not really my type of book but I thought Secret Avengers was fun & quirky outside of the fucking ego boosting name drops.

He's also really young so who knows.

I personally think he's the next big writer.

I keep forgetting about DC folk but Lemire is also at that point and could see him eventually taking that Waid spot of doing solo books with a really well crafted support characters. I dream of a Lemire Spider-Man book.

I also think Ales is probably the best person to write Dr. Strange when they finally do a solo book. His name dropping and attitude are a perfect fit for that character.

Also keep an eye out on Pat Shand@Zenescope dude in a couple of years is going to rise up.

Zombine

Banned
I've got the Green Lantern omnibus in my hands, and that dust cover seriously is fantastic. I've never read this shit dudes, but I'm definitely in for a wild ride.

Isak_Borg

I've got the Green Lantern omnibus in my hands, and that dust cover seriously is fantastic. I've never read this shit dudes, but I'm definitely in for a wild ride.

if it's the Geoff John's Omni it's pretty great but DC does a shit job constructing their omnis.

I kind of wish they put a little more love & care into how they build their hardcovers/trades.

Zombine

Banned
if it's the Geoff John's Omni it's pretty great but DC does a shit job constructing their omnis.

I kind of wish they put a little more love & care into how they build their hardcovers/trades.

Yup, it is. You're right though, I opened it up and I was like "what the fuck is this? A Popsicle stick sculpture?"

We don't even have a release date for Sabrina #2, do we? Fuck.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE NAKED WITCH LADY.

Isak_Borg

I know you're joking but this just made me think... what other comics have come out under the Legendary brand? I didn't even know they did anything like that until Annihilator.

Legendary is kind of weird because they got into the comic business as a way to become an IP farm, now a certain company actually distributes and handles their books.

I think getting Grant Morrison over there was fab but I really want to know how much ownership of the film rights creators get.

Image is kind of the only place you want to publish your stuff because you retain the rights to everything and know you're not going to get fucked out of the film/tv/radio/podcast rights.

Owzers

Saga is like my favorite comfort food. So glad it's back <3

Walking Dead, Invincible, and a bit further down the like-scale, Saga, are the books i go to monthly. They feel like monthlies,similar to a tv shows i'd keep coming back to if they existed. Most Marvel or DC books I read, even if I like them, feel like they are in a constant state of agitation in order to get the job done in between events and editorial mandates.

Talkin bout the New 52 Larfleeze series brahs, not the Johns Green Lantern stuff with him

Freeza you never answered my post a few pages ago :( it was KanColle related

frye

"
The college freshman name dropping of philosophers and bands annoys me for example. It was cute at first but grew old pretty quickly.

It's in everything he does and I find it incredibly grating as well.

Edit: Friend just sat here reading my deadly class trade, finished it in one sitting. said it was meh and wouldn't feel the urge to buy a second volume. "Everyone is an asshole"

Everyone is an asshole. There isn't a single character to give a fuck about in that book. It's what led to me falling off of it.

Ales Kot being a top writer at the Big 2 would be kinda weird to me. I got the impression that he was only doing that shit for money. although being a top guy probably pays a lot, so I can see him doing the "headline a bit then bail" thing

Top Bottom