• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

CBTech

Star Wars was pretty good today. Vader continues to be awesome and his encounter with Luke was handled very well. For some reason it bothered me that Luke referred to Obi-wan as "Master Kenobi" at one point. Doesn't he only ever call him Ben in the movies?

Grayson wasn't quite as good as last month, but still very solid. I like Dick, but
him being immune to the brain because he is pure of heart was pretty silly. The conclusion was fine, but I felt like it should have affected him more up until the end.

SoilBreak

Banned
Ales can be a total name dropping prick at times but we talk every once and awhile and he's actually as nice as can be. The name dropping and over explaining at times can be grating but with a good editor in place it won't be an issue.

I haven't read Bucky past the first issue but not really my type of book but I thought Secret Avengers was fun & quirky outside of the fucking ego boosting name drops.

He's also really young so who knows.

I personally think he's the next big writer.

I keep forgetting about DC folk but Lemire is also at that point and could see him eventually taking that Waid spot of doing solo books with a really well crafted support characters. I dream of a Lemire Spider-Man book.

I also think Ales is probably the best person to write Dr. Strange when they finally do a solo book. His name dropping and attitude are a perfect fit for that character.

Also keep an eye out on Pat Shand@Zenescope dude in a couple of years is going to rise up.

Personally, I think Gillen is a much better fit for Doctor Strange. His Cure story in Mystic Hands was great.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I didn't read any Comics tonight guys, I've been watching heroes of the storm videos instead, I'm sorry. Blame Blizzard for giving me beta access :(

NexusCell

Right now I've basically got Avenger/New Avengers, Ms. Marvel, Antman, Superior Iron Man, Thor and Uncanny Avengers on my pull list for now.

Any other Marvel titles that anyones recommending?

Cheska

Right now I've basically got Avenger/New Avengers, Ms. Marvel, Antman, Superior Iron Man, Thor and Uncanny Avengers on my pull list for now.

SILVER SURFER!

Secret Avengers is great too. If you like pretty pictures and Guardians of the Galaxy, might want to add Rocket Raccoon to that list too.

Howard the Duck is starting sometime in the near future and that sounds very promising

Guardians 3000 is good too if you want to check out something Cosmic

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Millar's Ultimate Avengers is uniformly terrible. More noticeably so because Ultimates 1 and 2 were so groundbreakingly fantastic.

Ultimate Avengers had the Vampire, right? Cant believe he pulled really that shit.

And oh boy, the Stan Lee thread... Please shot me if I post there.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
New project: read the entire Ultimate line.

giphy.gif

edit: lol at the size of this gif, im sorry, couldnt tell when I posted on the phone

Today I had a shit ton of books waiting for me. I'll read half of them tonight, the other half tomorrow. So tonight is... Marvel night.

My thoughts:

Moon Knight #11

Okay, I'll admit it. Wood's growing on me. His first issue was crap, but since then, he's been building up a pretty good arc! I really like the art. Love the initial bit with all the red and white panels. Smallwood's doing some great work here. I love how even though Wood's doing a more political story, he's at least retained that sort of psychological edge to Marc's character. That said, still too goddamn preachy. However, it's interesting stuff to examine, the dehumanization of the individual when they've been taken by the state.

Also, heck of a cliffhanger.

Black Widow #14

Noto's artwork is great as usual. And it's about time that Natasha stopped getting jerked around and started taking the fight to CHAOS.

That said, it didn't exactly go according to plan. Everyone in this book is still vaguely sad about stuff.

But hey, it's pretty well-written, so there's that. Someone needs to give Nat a hug.

Yeah. I got the Ant-Man tie-in. It's the Cold War, bitches. MCU Cold War. Yo.

Okay, I swear to God, the faces of people in this issue are bizarre as fuck. I'm gonna scan some and put 'em up tomorrow. Cause this is just weird.

Pretty good story set-up though. Love Cold War spy stuff.

Punisher 15

It's about time Castle starts to rack up a bit of a win. Weird Black Guy Lips asides... Gerads does great work here on the art and colours for the most part. Loved how he depicted
Sammy covered in blood in her prison oranges as she ventured out into the hell that's left of LA.
Also, gets a bit preachy at times with the lawyer (lol), and OF COURSE there's a
shady senator behind this with somebody probably pulling his strings.

But hey. It's about time we start to get back on a winning streak. UP NEXT MONTH,
THE PENTAGON, BITCHES
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ant-Man 2

I Love You, Ant-Man.

Issue 2, and Ant-Man is still awesome as balls. Even losers deserve a win now and again.

Sorta.

First off, art is fantastic! Really love it. Colourful, simple but detailed, great stuff.

Secondly, Ant-Man needs to get some clothes. His suit must smell.

I really like that they're building up a pretty cool supporting cast for Ant-Man.
Grizzly and Mrs Morgenstern seem like really fun additions along with Cassie
. And the comedy is so on-point with this issue. I'm such a sucker for a good redemption comedy story.

Hawkeye 21

First off.

Jesus Christ.

It's real. I actually.... held this book in my hands. And read it. Cover to cover.

And I fucking wept. Goddamn you, Fraction. Why are you tearing a whole in my heart, bro?

Why?

It's not goddamn fair.

Aja's art was spectacularly beautiful.

I must go weep now.

tumblr_mf192wCjr31r7k9y5.gif

Rhaknar

Punisher is using his Noir costume in 616 now?

Fuck it, GODDAMN YOU FRACTION! WHY! HOW COULD YOU DO THAT!? WHY!?

Liam-Neeson.gif

Fucking ripped out my heart and stomped on it and left me broken in the rain and crying and knowing that world is nothing but a soon to be dead rock floating around a ball of gas you son of a bitch

is this what love feels like

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yeah, he started using the mask this run. Edmondson explains that it doubles as a gas mask and allows him to be a bit incognito since West Coast folks aren't familiar with him.

You would think that a massmurder gets nationwide attention... But it seems like Marvel thinks that people outside of New Yorks are idiots who dont recognize those superpeople...

What the hell.

You would think that a massmurder gets nationwide attention... But it seems like Marvel thinks that people outside of New Yorks are idiots who dont recognize those superpeople...

This is the Marvel Universe we're talking about. Like, what the fuck happened last week. Did Doctor Doom take a shit down Reed Richard's throat on national TV or did the fucking Guardians of the Galaxy have an orgy with the president in order to defeat Galactus?

lol, I buy it.

Edit: So, Secret Wars. Are they canceling and rebooting a bunch of titles or what? Cause I don't read the events, but I don't want them to cut my fave titles short for kicks.

Certain writers are better than others at this sort of world building but I think it's more an issue that comics want to keep as much of a feeling of "the real world" as close to ours as possible. Realistically both the DC and Marvel I'm would probably be hyper advanced at this point. I mean, take DC, they have access to teleportation and yet that barely has any effect on the world. If I sit here and break down all the problems that could be solved that way it'd save more lives than any hero ever would. But that world would soon become unrecognizable. Even cosmic titles tend to keep things relatable enough that it feels like Earth in the future but with aliens.

Nameless was pretty good. Cool opening and then it drops a bit, and then picks back up around when it becomes Interstellar, and the stays level until the end. My man Chris Burnham kills it, his style's such a good fit for sci-horror. I don't think it's that hard to follow, I guess there's the transition from the opening to the actual beginning of the story. I figure it's gonna be clearer from here on out on that level, but it's Morrison and it's dreams-heavy so lol maybe not.

Was Inception-meets-Interstellar used in the solicitations? Because that's such an Image Comics Solicits thing and it fits well here. I didn't actually know what the book was about until i read it; i knew it was sci-fi horror, and the involvement in space. I'm kinda rambling now but basically, i'm onboard for now.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Certain writers are better than others at this sort of world building but I think it's more an issue that comics want to keep as much of a feeling of "the real world" as close to ours as possible. Realistically both the DC and Marvel I'm would probably be hyper advanced at this point. I mean, take DC, they have access to teleportation and yet that barely has any effect on the world. If I sit here and break down all the problems that could be solved that way it'd save more lives than any hero ever would. But that world would soon become unrecognizable. Even cosmic titles tend to keep things relatable enough that it feels like Earth in the future but with aliens.

This can be, but avaiablity of futuristic tech is something other than people who are always surprised that aliens exist while earth beeing invaded every other month by Galactus, Skrulls and Krees. Or that people dont know who Frank Castle is, while he is treated like a mass murderer and treated as he would be well known in New York. This just doenst fit and I am a little bit sad that they dont get this working.

This can be, but avaiablity of futuristic tech is something other than people who are always surprised that aliens exist while earth beeing invaded every other month by Galactus, Skrulls and Krees. Or that people dont know who Frank Castle is, while he is treated like a mass murderer and treated as he would be well known in New York. This just doenst fit and I am a little bit sad that they dont get this working.

What's more interesting and iconic: The Batman who is a myth and urban legend that scares the shit out your common thug or the Batman who every thug knows about but they aren't scared because they know he won't kill and they'll just be able to break out of jail in a few weeks.

A world in which aliens exist would be so radically different. Countries would band together and reverse engineer tech from the last alien invasion and your next battle would be stompy alien mecha against tanks and planes but new future weapons we developed. That becomes the focus of the story instead of the superheroic tales. Earth 2 had this to a degree. It showed Earth becoming more advanced because of the Apokolips tech they got from the first war and it was interesting but that quickly became a major theme of the book. It looked nothing like our own world, which works for an alternate universe but doesn't fit in timeless superhero stories.

Apparently in the new Harley book, Bruce watches her kill someone to preserve his identity?

Messi?

Which Harley book is this? Because in the one that came out last week that doesn't happen. Plus it doesn't say anything of the sort for the solicit for next month's issue.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What's more interesting and iconic: The Batman who is a myth and urban legend that scares the shit out your common thug or the Batman who every thug knows about but they aren't scared because they know he won't kill and they'll just be able to break out of jail in a few weeks.
Yeah, thats true... :D It feels always kinda strange when you have a Batman book, where journalists are excited because they have good pictures of Batman on video and in the next book, some random thug is telling stories, that Batman is just a myth and everything :D

A world in which aliens exist would be so radically different. Countries would band together and reverse engineer tech from the last alien invasion and your next battle would be stompy alien mecha against tanks and planes but new future weapons we developed. That becomes the focus of the story instead of the superheroic tales.

But isnt that why the big teams of the big two exist? The Avengers (Wasnt they officially UN-supported until the Scarlet Witch went nuts? And wasnt this the reason the Ultimates were founded?) with help from SWORD and the Justice League. Of course we need to go without our real life logic on this topic, but I can think that some kind of fictional UN-like world government thinks, "We have tons of superhumans running around who will protect us, so why bother?".

Earth 2 had this to a degree. It showed Earth becoming more advanced because of the Apokolips tech they got from the first war and it was interesting but that quickly became a major theme of the book. It looked nothing like our own world, which works for an alternate universe but doesn't fit in timeless superhero stories.
This makes me again really interested in the DC Multiverse^^

Messi

Yo Messi, have you played Life is Strange yet? It has girly hijinks.

I was thinking about getting it but was unsure. It's good?

Which Harley book is this? Because in the one that came out last week that doesn't happen. Plus it doesn't say anything of the sort for the solicit for next month's issue.

It's likely from next week's valentine's issue where she hangs out with Batman. Great to have some future spoilers for my favorite book :/

I agree. I would be very surprised considering how they distanced themselves from Harley killing those kids too.

The last issue of Conners/Palmiotti Harley will be her waking up from a dream after having fallen asleep to shitty 2am made for TV movie because there is no reality in which the Harley book actually happens. ;)

New project: read the entire Ultimate line.

A dangerous proposition, as someone who read everything up until the second "reset" event, it is a very mixed bag. I never read anything but USM after Spencer took over x-men and Hickman on Ultimates other than the Doom trilogy (which wasn't as good as Galactus trilogy) and Cataclysm.

Fintan

A dangerous proposition, as someone who read everything up until the second "reset" event, it is a very mixed bag. I never read anything but USM after Spencer took over x-men and Hickman on Ultimates other than the Doom trilogy (which wasn't as good as Galactus trilogy) and Cataclysm.
Yeah, definitely a mixed bag. I'm re-reading/catching up on the UU before Secret Wars. USM is consistently good and I mostly like the pre-Ultimatum comics apart from Loeb and Kirkman. Ultimatum is just a disaster but there is good stuff after it just less of it.

Messi

The last issue of Conners/Palmiotti Harley will be her waking up from a dream after having fallen asleep to shitty 2am made for TV movie because there is no reality in which the Harley book actually happens. ;)

They would totally do that. Lol. They have made harley adorable in her downtime. It's my favorite part of the book.

Yeah, definitely a mixed bag. I'm re-reading/catching up on the UU before Secret Wars. USM is consistently good and I mostly like the pre-Ultimatum comics apart from Loeb and Kirkman. Ultimatum is just a disaster but there is good stuff after it just less of it.

The main problem post Ultimatum other than the authors not having any idea what to do, was they basically just said let's get a good artist (Cho, Adams) and that will make up for it. Well...it didn't. Even Loeb who was part of Ultimatum didn't know what to do with the remaining X-men so he just made Wolverine's son appear undoing the perma-death in essence. Millar on Ultimates wrote it like a Millerverse title off the rails especially the Blade teamup. New Ultimates seemed convoluted if I recall but it has been a long time. The rest of the stories were the standard minis, Cap, Thor, Armor Wars, etc which are variable despite good teams on them.

Then Bendis decided to do the Doom trilogy which seemed to create Evil Reed as a mechanism since I don't remember it having a strong cause behind it and remember being super confused as to the order of events and reasons behind them. But also...been a long time and I never bothered to grab the OHC for it to reread.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Then Bendis decided to do the Doom trilogy which seemed to create Evil Reed as a mechanism since I don't remember it having a strong cause behind it and remember being super confused as to the order of events and reasons behind them. But also...been a long time and I never bothered to grab the OHC for it to reread.

This was also the book, where Sue and Ben came together, am I right?
I dropped my Ultimate books after this entirely, what was his new Powerset when he became shiny Thing?

Fintan

The main problem post Ultimatum other than the authors not having any idea what to do, was they basically just said let's get a good artist (Cho, Adams) and that will make up for it. Well...it didn't. Even Loeb who was part of Ultimatum didn't know what to do with the remaining X-men so he just made Wolverine's son appear undoing the perma-death in essence. Millar on Ultimates wrote it like a Millerverse title off the rails especially the Blade teamup. New Ultimates seemed convoluted if I recall but it has been a long time. The rest of the stories were the standard minis, Cap, Thor, Armor Wars, etc which are variable despite good teams on them.

I wonder if Secret Wars will involve any UU characters apart from Reed and Miles.

I'm sure the Ultimate End mini will have lots of them obviously, but I wonder what characters Hickman will be interested in using.

Nick Fury, I guess.

Ohnonono

Got the 2 Hardcover collections of Revival. Pretty excited to read it!

I have not read Hawkeye yet but I love Fractions other stuff muchly. Besides that are there any other super hero stuff that are a little more down to earth? I like the art on the Black Widow books but I generally don't pick up super hero stuff unless it is pretty off kilter.

Top Bottom