• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Owzers

Or in other words:

In Arcadia — what Wilson describes as "this feminist paradise" — a familiar threat to Marvel fans arises again and because of it, the new team of A-Force is formed to be the superhero standard bearer.

Arcadia being one of the Battelground areas.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yo, Bitch Planet is fucking excellent. Book is impressing the hell out of me. I feel like more people should be talking about it.

tim1138

Yo, Bitch Planet is fucking excellent. Book is impressing the hell out of me. I feel like more people should be talking about it.

Not enough hijinks for this crowd.

I agree 100%, it's a great book, and even just two issues in it's Kelly Sue's strongest work. You can really feel her passion for it.

Messi

I agree 100%, it's a great book, and even just two issues in it's Kelly Sue's strongest work. You can really feel her passion for it.

No need to be dismissive because some people didn't like the book.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Absolutely. And beyond that, it's just perfectly plotted so far and so damn smart. The whole
escalating riot in the background
in issue 2 is hilarious and so damn well drawn.

Also, enjoying reading essays on feminism in the backmatter. It's definitely not a thing that many comics shine lights on--at least, as far as I know.

I kinda want Scott Snyder to write a Moon Knight arc.

I haven't read anything by Bunn I've liked. Wood's current arc is getting good, but still too preachy.

tim1138

Absolutely. And beyond that, it's just perfectly plotted so far and so damn smart. The whole
escalating riot in the background
in issue 2 is hilarious and so damn well drawn.

Also, enjoying reading essays on feminism in the backmatter. It's definitely not a thing that many comics shine lights on--at least, as far as I know.

Oh man, the scene where
Penny Rolle dropped the big elbow on the guards
had me rolling. I love that it can walk that line between almost slapstick humor yet still have a serious story that's actually about something. This is some of the best use of backmatter in a comic I've seen. I particularly enjoyed the wrap up essay where KSD basically told people to go fuck themselves if they don't like what she's doing with the book and the feminist essays in the back.

Owzers

I felt weird buying a book called Bitch Planet so i didn't. If opinions are still high when the trade gets released i'll pick it up. That, and Pretty Deadly #1 was iffy...though i bought the trade of that and haven't read it yet.

Nudull

Banned
Y'all kept doubting KSD, but she's been great since the beginning. Bitch Planet is shaping up to be her masterpiece.

Messi

]I felt weird buying a book called Bitch Planet so i didn't. [/b]If opinions are still high when the trade gets released i'll pick it up. That, and Pretty Deadly #1 was iffy...though i bought the trade of that and haven't read it yet.

Why is that, if you don't mind me asking?

Filthy Slug

Oh man, the scene where
Penny Rolle dropped the big elbow on the guards
had me rolling. I love that it can walk that line between almost slapstick humor yet still have a serious story that's actually about something. This is some of the best use of backmatter in a comic I've seen. I particularly enjoyed the wrap up essay where KSD basically told people to go fuck themselves if they don't like what she's doing with the book and the feminist essays in the back.
Dude, Penny Rolle steals the show two damn issues in a row. And I like the attitude of the book: Nothing about it seems forced, and the story is going to be told whether it gets big and gains an audience or it falls flat on its fucking face and everybody feels uncomfortable eyeing it at the comic shop.

I felt weird buying a book called Bitch Planet so i didn't. If opinions are still high when the trade gets released i'll pick it up.

Definitely check it out. I can't stress how tightly plotted it is. It's on some pulp-exploitation-vibes here and there, and it's fucking smart, funny, and thoroughly badass.

tim1138

Dude, Penny Rolle steals the show two damn issues in a row. And I like the attitude of the book: Nothing about it seems forced, and the story is going to be told whether it gets big and gains an audience or it falls flat on its fucking face and everybody feels uncomfortable eyeing it at the comic shop.

Definitely check it out. I can't stress how tightly plotted it is. It's on some pulp-exploitation-vibes here and there, and it's fucking smart, funny, and thoroughly badass.

It's all the little touches that add up, like the back cover with the "Hey Kids, Patriarchy!" spoof of old time comics ads filled with biting commentary, and a couple actual real ads. I really should throw $7 at that poster.

Owzers

Why is that, if you don't mind me asking?

I dunno really. The only "Grindhouse" content i've watched were the Tarantino/Rodriguez Death Proof and Planet Terror, aggressive cheese that I mildly enjoyed. When i heard Bitch Planet's announcement I didn't know if the book would actually be good or if it would just settle into the women in cages thing, i am not a big fan of DeConnick so that didn't push me over the edge. Maybe the debate over whether the book would actually have a good story or if it was going to be really pleased with itself for existing, much like Expendables thinks having a lot of names in a movie is all that's required.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Man, on the one hand, I like that DC really shook its books up. On the other hand, I don't see much I think I'll buy. Batman, probably Gotham By Midnight, maybe Green Arrow if that team properly executes what they say they're planning. Hopefully some of those new solo books for secondary characters end up really popping and grabbing my interest. I still like to have some superhero stuff in the mix, even though non-capes/indies are gaining an even bigger majority of my buying.

I wish JRJR was off Superman because Gene Luen Yang interests me, but I don't want to look at a butt ugly Superman in stupid poses.

ElNarez

Banned
I feel like no one's making a big deal out of the fact Bryan Hitch is doing a JLA book when obviously, this is a goddamn fucking huge announcement of a book that's gonna do sales numbers through the gosh darn roof.

I feel like no one's making a big deal out of the fact Bryan Hitch is doing a JLA book when obviously, this is a goddamn fucking huge announcement of a book that's gonna do sales numbers through the gosh darn roof.

Except for the fact he is writing it as well...

That is why.

ElNarez

Banned
Except for the fact he is writing it as well...

That is why.

Doesn't matter. The guy's basically one of the architects of the MCU, so I mean : the guy laid the foundations of the biggest thing in pop culture today. It's a giant fucking deal that he's doing a JLA book, even by himself.

ElNarez

Banned
Who is Bryan Hitch?

I'm gonna say literally the most important comic book artist of the 2000s and I want people to fight me on this. He worked on The Authority with Ellis, launched The Ultimates with Millar, and after him loads of huge comics have gone for his extremely cinematic style.

Busaiku

Gods, I got Loki Agent of Asgard, and it turns out, a significant chunk of the story, with constant references, is split among like 10 different titles...

Okay, I mentioned this earlier.

This is from the Ant-Man Prelude book:

preludetoawfulnessgnurs.jpg

continuedpreludehaonf.jpg

Somebody explain to me what the hell

I'm gonna say literally the most important comic book artist of the 2000s and I want people to fight me on this. He worked on The Authority with Ellis, launched The Ultimates with Millar, and after him loads of huge comics have gone for his extremely cinematic style.
I'm gonna agree with you. I'm a huge Bryan Hitch fan. Hes a phenomenal artist. He's had a massive impact on comic storytelling. His artwork blew my mind as a 13 year old And I basically wanted to draw like Hitch growing up.

I'm a bit more optimistic than most on how JLA might turn out writing wise. He enjoyed a great deal of writing input on Ultimates. Millar had a pretty clear turn in writing effort after his run on Ultimates with Hitch.

Owzers

The Ultimates and Astonishing X-Men were some of my first and favorite books when i started buying comics. Sadly, those were the last times i've been excited for Cassaday and Hitch artwork. I still haven't read my Absolute Planetary books though, so there's that.

Tizoc

I liked vol 1 of Sonic x Mega Man by the way. Great fanservice and surprisingly good art. It's a book written for children, so I didn't dwell too hard on some of the wonky writing.

Glad you enjoyed it, give the other 2 books a read, the art may not appeal to many, but the writing remains consistent and fun.

Top Bottom