• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

tim1138

DC said that part of the June relaunch was to diversify the lineup. So just for fun I decided to look at the new slate of DC creators and see how many are non white dudes (this includes biracial, ladies, various ethnicities, etc.). By my count 25 of the 48 announced books for June have creative teams that are not two white dudes.

It's definitely nice to see more ladies getting their shot, but the industry as a whole really blows at African American representation on the creative side. Progress is being made, but there's still work to be done.

Messi

Former writer of Power Girl and current writer of Harley does a Power Girl Harley mini series after the continued success of Harley Quinn. Can't speak for the other two you mentioned but Palmiotti and Conner are proven in those characters.

Fans also loved the recent team up between the two. It's a no brainer

DC said that part of the June relaunch was to diversify the lineup. So just for fun I decided to look at the new slate of DC creators and see how many are non white dudes (this includes biracial, ladies, various ethnicities, etc.). By my count 25 of the 48 announced books for June have creative teams that are not two white dudes.

It's definitely nice to see more ladies getting their shot, but the industry as a whole really blows at African American representation on the creative side. Progress is being made, but there's still work to be done.

Happy they gave David Walker the chance at Cyborg. Also one more from Sonny's Twitter today.

B9K8e9TCMAAgwj9.jpg

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
"Vigilante youth gang cleaning up Gotham streets," instead of "established Robins all in one book." The Detective solicit (which I didn't know) is almost that exact premise.

Oh, yeah, that's exactly what I want, actually. I think it's an awesome concept, but I just know it's not going to last.

Messi

It just reads like "Two Internet waifu characters get a team up mini" from here. Also hasn't Harley killed children recently?

Do you read harley Quinn?

The children thing was before the recent run and Jimmy Palmiotti removed it from canon in the origin a few months back.

You don't see why they would team up the two hugely popular characters they wrote? Or are you just here to continually shit on books like Harley?

Boogiepop

Before I forget to ask: should I be excited or worried for the new Batman Beyond series? I haven't read the author's works but it obviously looks like some definitely important accomplishments in there, but then I could say the same thing about Claremont and I really don't want him near any property I'd be interested in, at least nowadays...

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I wanted a TMNT esque Robin book for the longest but knowing my luck they'd probably pick Steph over Tim.

Tim is basically sidelined in the new52. Dude has not been in the hands of a decent storyteller for years, which sucks.

This upcoming Bizarro book is going to be my favorite thing. Also, if we could get a Zibarro mini...

Owzers

Fair enough. But why would they get slapped with something they didn't do? They openly said they hated that.

Only bringing back Superboy Prime will redeem DC. I agree though and was mostly joking, character baggage shouldn't weigh down new runs, but it does leave lasting impressions.

Not for me though since i never read the child killing thing, when did that happen?

Messi

Only bringing back Superboy Prime will redeem DC. I agree though and was mostly joking, character baggage shouldn't weigh down new runs, but it does leave lasting impressions.

I honestly don't think that has lasting baggage. They got out there and said it wasnt part of their harley and that it was messed up. It's just Sou Da trying to stir shit.

It was in her villians month issue. She was depressed Joker broke up with her and put bombs in kids video game systems and gave them as gifts.

tim1138

Benjamin Percy tweeted that he is going to incorporate the new additions to the Green Arrow mythos that Lemire and Sorrentino introduced. He also said he's going for a darker, more literary tone, and it will have zero connection to the Arrow show. I'm pretty excited for a good GA run again.

Filthy Slug

Benjamin Percy tweeted that he is going to incorporate the new additions to the Green Arrow mythos that Lemire and Sorrentino introduced. He also said he's going for a darker, more literary tone, and it will have zero connection to the Arrow show. I'm pretty excited for a good GA run again.

Yeah, GA went straight to shit when those tv bros came onboard.

Good

Owzers

Yeah, GA went straight to shit when those tv bros came onboard.

I read the first Green Arrow trade before watching the series so when the final page of the first Lemire trade had
Diggle showing up as some big reveal
i was just wondering why i should care about this guy. Didn't move on to the second trade.

Sou Da

I read the first Green Arrow trade before watching the series so when the final page of the first Lemire trade had
i was just wondering why i should care about this guy. Didn't move on to the second trade.

Sad thing is they could have really had something by sticking to making those characters antagonists.

Sothpaw

G. Willow Wilson is a pretty interesting character. I was raised as a Catholic and went to Catholic schools my entire life. Yet as I grew older and became more educated, I came to the conclusion that religion isn't necessarily needed in the modern world. Yet here is Wilson, raised in a typical secular liberal east-coast household, and she picks up a religion and moves to Egypt. And not just any religion, but Islam, which (whether justly or not) is reaching toxic status in the Western world. I would love to pick her brain someday.

Filthy Slug

Sad thing is they could have really had something by sticking to making those characters antagonists.

Woah, hold up, I just want to say Lemire and Sorrentino's GA run is stellar the whole way through. Even the addition of Diggle was great. They built up a family around Olly and gave him something to give a shit about aside from his city, and in turn, people rightfully started giving a shit about the comic. Also, Sorrentino is just dominant.

The creators who came on directly afterward just decided to do away with all the great building blocks Lemire and Sorrentino had stacked and just redid the tv show in shitty comic form, however.

Seriously, Lemire's run on GA was so good I'm picking up his Hawkeye without hesitation. No previews, no nothing.

Yes! Look what just popped up on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1606998676/?tag=neogaf0e-20

In this fourth book of Duck epics by Don Rosa, Scroge's story begins to unfold. Relive Scrooge’s Scottish boyhood as “Last of the Clan McDuck,” then his teenage years as “Master of the Mississippi” on Uncle Pothole’s steamboat! Witness Scrooge’s first fights with the Beagle Boys and Flintheart Glomgold — and in a bonus “Chapter 0,” his earliest meeting with Magica De Spell!

Presented in brilliant color and with a treasure trove of Rosa’s cover art and behind-the-scenes factoids, these Duckburg epics are back in a definitive, comprehensive edition for posterity — at a bargain price worthy of Scrooge himself!

So I take it I should read Lemire's green arrow run then?

I don't like team up books or any of that big-time marvel stuff really but I will definitely have to cop the female avengers book for 90s xmen and g willow Wilson

tim1138

So I take it I should read Lemire's green arrow run then?

I don't like team up books or any of that big-time marvel stuff really but I will definitely have to cop the female avengers book for 90s xmen and g willow Wilson

A thousand times yes. It was fucking great.

Bloodember

Really upset they cancelled Supergirl, that was my favorite book. Hopefully they bring her back in the coming months. Starfire looks awesome though, will pick that up.

Messi

Really upset they cancelled Supergirl, that was my favorite book. Hopefully they bring her back in the coming months. Starfire looks awesome though, will pick that up.

I imagine it will come back with a fancy new #1 in the lead up to the tv show this fall.

Yep. It's fucked up and over the line. But it's not something this team should be held accountable for.
Didn't she shoot a guy in the face before he could tell amnesiac PG that Harley is actually a villain, to shut him up? Doesn't she choke out a woman and beat and possibly murder her to not be outbid on her date with Bruce Wayne without immediate repercussion?

Owzers

Didn't she shoot a guy in the face before he could tell amnesiac PG that Harley is actually a villain, to shut him up? Doesn't she choke out a woman and beat and possibly murder her to not be outbid on her date with Bruce Wayne without immediate repercussion?

We're talking about children here Spike!

Sou Da

That was beyond fucking stupid when it came Bruce's position.

Anything and everything I read with Harley in it I take as being from her perspective as an unreliable narrator. Makes all her stories make way more sense.

arkon

I should probably take the sillymonkey route and not get too hyped with some of the DC announcements. After all the hype died off for the new 52. I gave some books way too much time back then which I regret.

This is all null and void if DC give us Hickman and some top-tier artist on Legion of Superheroes though. Is that too much to ask?

Top Bottom