• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

ANNIE WU IS DOING BLACK CANARY???

macgruber_iminuzy1g.gif

Zombine

Banned
My hope is that truly the past 10 years of X-Men books are retconned out of existence. I long for the days where the book was about adventures in the savage land and social & political issues, and not the mess that the books have been for the past decade.

No. I'm not denying that there have not been good characters that have shown up along the way, but like a lot of Marvel properties, events have gone full on stupid, and that stupid became the status quo for too long. X-Men is a muddied mess, and it needs to be brought back to its roots with a core cast of characters.

Cade

My hope is that truly the past 10 years of X-Men books are retconned out of existence. I long for the days where the book was about adventures in the savage land and social & political issues, and not the mess that the books have been for the past decade.

No. I'm not denying that there have not been good characters that have shown up along the way, but like a lot of Marvel properties, events have gone full on stupid, and that stupid became the status quo for too long. X-Men is a muddied mess, and it needs to be brought back to its roots with a core cast of characters.

nod nod nod nod nod

nod nod

nod

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter

GAMEPROFF

Banned
They should save the whole Mutant Messias arc beginnimg with House of M and go back to the political/social stuff like Zombine said.

I want to see how you make the outcast element work with the Avengers coming to the forefront of their titles. It's always made zero sense that people love the Avengers but fear and hate Mutants. It's like, wat? You'd have to introduce some danger from Mutants to justify it, like they can infect people with mutations or something.

Zombine

Banned
nod nod nod nod nod

nod nod

nod

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter

I really believe that the books deserve to be in the hands of someone who understands how to write people. Let the action be poignant or a climax built from the tension generated by the Brotherhood or anti-mutant organizations.

I also would not mind if X-Men were removed from the core Marvel universe, and placed in their own timeline. I just don't know how you could feel any sort of connection to the sort of adult stories that I am looking for, when that plot thread completely unravels when the humans decide that Superheroes are great, but Mutants should be obliterated. This connection to the greater MCU has in my opinion forced Marvel and the writers of X-Men to forgo characrer depth and development, and instead rely on trying to up the ante and create bashit insane world changing epic after another.

I don't think they'll listen, but I hope at the very least they can repurpose the team into something more interesting than what we have now.

I also think that as Eve Bell's skirt gets shorter, her cleavage should show more. I think that's her true power.

I want more Sentinels.

I love Sentinels.

I own like 10 of them, including Master Mold, a Captain America paint scheme one and also some Mark IIs and Mark Vs.

Sentinels are the protectors we deserve to fight against the mutie threat.

Would waifu a Sentinel Girl.

Zombine

Banned
I want more Sentinels.

I love Sentinels.

I own like 10 of them, including a Captain America paint scheme one also some Mark IIs and Mark Vs.

I love the Heroclix ones! This was also one of my prized possessions as a kid:

xmen_sentinel.jpg

You definitely had to be careful with it though. I remeber days where I lost both feet, the chest, and the rocket fist and you end up with this piece of plastic that can't stand on its own.

Cade

I really believe that the books deserve to be in the hands of someone who understands how to write people. Let the action be poignant or a climax built from the tension generated by the Brotherhood or anti-mutant organizations.

I also would not mind if X-Men were removed from the core Marvel universe, and placed in their own timeline. I just don't know how you could feel any sort of connection to the sort of adult stories that I am looking for, when that plot thread completely unravels when the humans decide that Superheroes are great, but Mutants should be obliterated. This connection to the greater MCU has in my opinion forced Marvel and the writers of X-Men to forgo characrer depth and development, and instead rely on trying to up the ante and create bashit insane world changing epic after another.

I don't think they'll listen, but I hope at the very least they can repurpose the team into something more interesting than what we have now.

I also think that as Eve Bell's skirt gets shorter, her cleavage should show more. I think that's her true power.

I was with you till the last bit. I just want these characters not to be oneupping biggest-asshole-creep character assassination shock value moments anymore.

I want more Sentinels.

I love Sentinels.

I own like 10 of them, including Master Mold, a Captain America paint scheme one and also some Mark IIs and Mark Vs.

Sentinels are the protectors we deserve to fight against the mutie threat.

Would waifu a Sentinel Girl.

Sentinels are great

I love the Heroclix ones! This was also one of my prized possessions as a kid:

xmen_sentinel.jpg

You definitely had to be careful with it though. I remeber days where I lost both feet, the chest, and the rocket fist and you end up with this piece of plastic that can't stand on its own.

I still own this somewhere.

Zombine

Banned
But now I'm left with trying to figure out what writer/artist due at Marvel could do the team justice. Would that Waid/Samnee team up be the best medicine for the franchise, or is it some other writer who has been looking for the right niche, and that niche ends up being X-Men? I would love for the X-Universe to push some writers and artists into superstar status.

Rafa? Kipp?

What if we double down on X-Men time travel bullshit instead? I want adult Jean Greys mind in young Jean Greys body. I want the future clone of young Cyclops and AoA X-23s kid, just the most absurd stuff you can come up with.

Honestly have no idea why there isn't any more smash clones. Haven't played playstation allstars but I hear it's pretty different from smash (not in a good way tho). Shouldn't really be any shame in copying smash or building upon it's core.

I'm a Nintendo fanboy, I've never played a Sony game for more than thirty seconds, and yet I was willing to buy a PS3 just for PlayStation All-Stars. Shame how it turned out.

Relevant to Messi's interests

Tara Strong cosplaying as Harley.

I'm not a fan of Tara's portrayal of Harley, but I've always found Tara Strong to be a very attractive woman. I'll stop there.

Zombine

Banned
What if we double down on X-Men time travel bullshit instead? I want adult Jean Greys mind in young Jean Greys body. I want the future clone of young Cyclops and AoA X-23s kid, just the most absurd stuff you can come up with.

Get Nocenti on board and I think you'll be happy. Cyclops on horseback is probably a given.

Retcon Rememder's work?
Aaron's?
Gillen's?
And, yes, Bendis'?

Didn't someone say there were glad X-Men fans here were different? Lol clearly no

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hey guys whats up, remember when I used to read comics? those were the days...

stupid mobas! >_>

Good going guys. Rhaknar is already jaded. You burnt him out.

I blame the Ultimate Universe. Shouldn't have committed yourself to reading it. It kills characters, joy and interest in wild abandon.

I forgot that you were the athority on comics. My bad.

We can discuss tastes and preferences without advocating the complete disintegration of things you don't like.

I may think DC's moves over the past few years have been uninteresting to me and I may rag on them collectively, but I'd never say they should never have existed. That's cynicism run amok. It has nothing to do with being an authority on comics. It's about enthusiasm versus cynicism. Simple as that.

The problem with those CBR dudes is that in their fundamentalist cynicism they rage against the very existence of stories they don't particularly like. They feel those stories shouldn't exist. Instead of directing enthusiasm towards something else that they do like, they cynically waste their energy deriding things they don't. Wishing them into the oblivion of the Retcon. Into destruction.

My only belief in any authority on comics is that they should all exist if someone made them, whether I like them or not. If that means someone's story contradicts someone else's from before, so be it. If someone writes a story contradicts something I love, I'm not going to ask for its proverbial head. Where does that lead us? Where does it stop? Even the darkest pages of the 90s has Chris Bachalo drawing them. Even the most calamitously stupid New 52 book was published at the same time as Snyder's Batman.

You can't erase one thing because you don't like it because it destroys everything else. That's the way comics work.

You can't erase Bendis' X-Men or GotG even if it stepped on something you loved. You're asking to destroy when comics are about creating.

That is the very core of cynical thinking. "What's the point. Nothing matters. Kill it."

"Give in."

ElNarez

Banned

Technically erasing the past 10 years puts us RIGHT after Morrison's New X-Men. So that's balls deep in Austen.

What I'm saying is: can we make it an uneven 11? Then we got a deal.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Oh. My. Goodness.
TERRY MOORE X-MEN.

Retcon Rememder's work?
Aaron's?
Gillen's?
And, yes, Bendis'?

Speaking as a third party who's never read any X-Men comics and has no emotional stake in this:
It's not as if retconning those runs makes them disappear. This goes back to that whole silliness of "Why bother reading certain runs if they're no longer in continuity?" Those stories exist and you can go back and read them. That's all that matters. Who cares whether or not they're still "relevant." They were never actually relevant. They're just comic books and they're just fun.
Just because those books still exist in whatever continuity the next X-Book takes place in doesn't even come close to guaranteeing that that book will be good and make good use of said continuity. I think the point Zombine is making is that regardless of the great runs that have been written in the last decade, Marvel should give the next writer a blank slate so they can go back to the basics and just write good stories, not have to tip-toe around all this continuity that's accumulated.

ElNarez

Banned
hell yeah that's another victory for team #WhileTheX-MenAsAConceptAndTheirStatusQuoHasBeenPrettyInterestingAsOfLateYouGottaAdmitTheOnlyOneToEvenGetCloseToMorrison'sNewX-MenLevelWasGillenAndThenHeGotKindaShaftedByMarvelsObsessionWithMakingEverythingAMegaEventSoSureFuckItRazeItAllLet'sGoBackToTheLeatherJackets

e: Dead serious: past Austen, most X-Books have completely whiffed the interesting premises they were given. There's gems like the last volume of Legacy, UXF and the current X-Force, but yeah, most of it is just underwhelming as fuck.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
You know, I really ought to actually read some X-Men sometime. I've literally never read an X-Men comic (not counting X-Statix). I have Morrison's and Whedon's runs sitting on my shelf.

Maybe that's what I'll read after Alias. Or before Alias? Hmm.

I don't like feeling completely clueless when people start talking about X-Men (which is all the time). Haha

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Good going guys. Rhaknar is already jaded. You burnt him out.

I blame the Ultimate Universe. Shouldn't have committed yourself to reading it. It kills characters, joy and interest in wild abandon.

I havent started Ultimate yet :p

calm down, its jut my days off. Ill be back to reading 25 comics an hour tonight at work (actually I do need to finish Infinity)

You know, I really ought to actually read some X-Men sometime. I've literally never read an X-Men comic (not counting X-Statix). I have Morrison's and Whedon's runs sitting on my shelf.

Maybe that's what I'll read after Alias. Or before Alias? Hmm.

I don't like feeling completely clueless when people start talking about X-Men (which is all the time). Haha

Whedon's run is my all time favorite. Its the closest to getting that classic x-men feel but also feeling modern in its delivery.

X-men line took a huge hit once X-factor (Madrox one) ended. Zombine that is essentially the book you've been pining for. It was character and people driven first and the action and events fell out of it naturally. Which is why over its long run it was consistently the best X-book...even if nobody talked about it. :(

But with it gone the x-book line has taken a huge dip. Aaron's run had moments but the events kept disrupting it. And now with Cyclops being a total a-hole beyond repair, the original young x-men floating around with no purpose, and the x-men still split...it has taken a hit.

Also i'm sooo sick and tired of the constant Xavier character assassination. Stop retconning that this man that formed the X-men is this secret super ultra creep/jerk/asshole. It doesn't make him more interesting. I liked altruistic and idealistic Xavier.

Just read issue 2 of Squirrel Girl. I liked it even more then the first issue, several times I actually had a pretty good laugh. Also, man between this and Ant-Man Tony Stark's security is just getting ragged on.

Oh. My. Goodness.
TERRY MOORE X-MEN.

Speaking as a third party who's never read any X-Men comics and has no emotional stake in this:
It's not as if retconning those runs makes them disappear. This goes back to that whole silliness of "Why bother reading certain runs if they're no longer in continuity?" Those stories exist and you can go back and read them. That's all that matters. Who cares whether or not they're still "relevant." They were never actually relevant. They're just comic books and they're just fun.
Just because those books still exist in whatever continuity the next X-Book takes place in doesn't even come close to guaranteeing that that book will be good and make good use of said continuity. I think the point Zombine is making is that regardless of the great runs that have been written in the last decade, Marvel should give the next writer a blank slate so they can go back to the basics and just write good stories, not have to tip-toe around all this continuity that's accumulated.

Clearly you didn't read my other post. You can give creators the same blank slate Marvel always gives them without lighting a match to everything. Look at Remender's work and how brilliantly he uses even the wackest continuity to follow his own brilliant vision. None of that could have happened of we just hit a reset button.

Cade

Remender's stuff is fine, as is Gillen's, but whoever's idea it was to do AvX and utterly fuck up the X-Men can have their work erased. I don't know if I can blame Aaron, and his WATXM is probably the best X-Men since New, but all the other stuff is just yawnworthy.

Zombine

Banned
Remender's stuff is fine, as is Gillen's, but whoever's idea it was to do AvX and utterly fuck up the X-Men can have their work erased. I don't know if I can blame Aaron, and his WATXM is probably the best X-Men since New, but all the other stuff is just yawnworthy.

Bro you don't get it. Real comic fans bend over and take everything that is thrown at them. You have to enjoy it all or this medium isn't for you. Axel is love, Axel is life.

Messi

Small Week? Small Week

Batman Eternal #45
Harley Quinn Valentines special #1
Shutter #9
Southern Bastards #7
All new X-Men #36
Amazing Spider-man #14
Captain Marvel #12
Thor #5
X-MEN #24

Top Bottom