• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Cade

Bro you don't get it. Real comic fans bend over and take everything that is thrown at them. You have to enjoy it all or this medium isn't for you. Axel is love, Axel is life.

I forgot.

---
I mean hell, even Bendis had to bring back the X-Men that aren't all total dipshit terrorists (regardless of how that actually worked out).

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Bro you don't get it. Real comic fans bend over and take everything that is thrown at them. You have to enjoy it all or this medium isn't for you. Axel is love, Axel is life.

I wish I was a real comic fan :(

But real talk, it's kind of nice that I never really have to think about these kinds of things since I inadvertently stay away from books that are in mainline continuity. Without making any conscious decisions, I realized sort of recently that pretty much everything I read and enjoy is either creator-owned stuff or superhero stuff that's standalone (Hawkeye, X-Statix, Punisher, etc.).

You know, I really ought to actually read some X-Men sometime. I've literally never read an X-Men comic (not counting X-Statix). I have Morrison's and Whedon's runs sitting on my shelf.

Maybe that's what I'll read after Alias. Or before Alias? Hmm.

I don't like feeling completely clueless when people start talking about X-Men (which is all the time). Haha

I'm surprised you didn't pick up the Uncanny X-Force Omnibus when it came out. I'm not a big X-fan but it's quality.

And happy birthday Boogiepop!

Owzers

2702364-2702185-cm_cyclops_super.jpg

I wish we could go back. I've never been a longtime fan though of the comics so i don't know what we would go back to....i just don't like how things have turned out lately. X-men books are all relegated to MU reading anyways.

X-Men 90s cartoon all the way, then Astonishing X-Men when i started reading comics. I too don't understand the whole "people hate the mutants" angle in a world of marvels, never will. Oh, it's because mutations are unnatural or they will replace humans as the dominant species or something. We almost got turned into a Skrull slave planet!

Kipp

I'm surprised you didn't pick up the Uncanny X-Force Omnibus when it came out. I'm not a big X-fan but it's quality.

90% of the reason I didn't pick it up was because I still had Morrison's and Whedon's run sitting on my shelf that I hadn't read yet, and I wasn't going to read it until I read those, and I didn't necessarily plan to read those any time soon. The other 10% was obviously because I'm cheap.

After I read the Morrison and Whedon runs though, I'll definitely think about buying the ultimate collections for Uncanny X-Force.

fertygo

I wish I was a real comic fan :(

But real talk, it's kind of nice that I never really have to think about these kinds of things since I inadvertently stay away from all the types of books that are in mainline continuity. Without making any conscious decisions, I realized sort of recently that pretty much everything I read and enjoy is either creator-owned stuff or superhero stuff that's standalone (Hawkeye, X-Statix, Punisher, etc.).

Why u no new 52 fan then? :D

Lately most of their book seem self contained between the book itself.

Now if just there's more talent behind them lol

No one frigging care to lore that created by Scott Lobdell and Dan Juergens.

Stuff like JL3K doe... sogood.gif

Kipp

I really need to hop on that Punisher train. My only real exposure to him is the Edminson stuff.

Yeah, definitely. Ennis' Punisher might be my all-time favorite Big Two comics. And his two different takes on Punisher - the MAX run and the Marvel Knights run (including Welcome Back, Frank) - are almost complete opposites but both brilliant. So if you didn't care for one, you could love the other. But yeah, I'd suggest grabbing Welcome Back, Frank and the first volume or two of Punisher MAX and checking it out.

Ennis' Marvel Knights Punisher is my personal favorite since it's just pure fun. It just makes me happy reading it. It doesn't take itself seriously at all and it's the best. The only thing I don't like about the Marvel Knights Punisher run is that most of it isn't in print. If they reprinted that omnibus, I would be the happiest man alive.
Punisher MAX is 100% serious, but equally well done. I just enjoy the not-so-serious stuff most of the time. Punisher MAX is pretty brilliant though. The Mother Russia arc is one of my top-five favorite arcs in comics.

Kipp

Why u no new 52 fan then? :D

Lately most of their book seem self contained between the book itself.

Now if just there's more talent behind them lol

No one frigging care to lore that created by Scott Lobdell and Dan Juergens.

Stuff like JL3K doe... sogood.gif

It's not that I stay away from stuff because it's not self-contained. It just usually happens that the stuff I drift towards happens to be self-contained, usually because it's unique/quirky/whatever. It's mostly that I don't have much interest in typical superhero stories in general, and those happen to be the books that are most invested in continuity.

Zombine

Banned
Yeah, definitely. Ennis' Punisher might be my all-time favorite Big Two comics. And his two different takes on Punisher - the MAX run and the Marvel Knights run (including Welcome Back, Frank) - are almost complete opposites but both brilliant. So if you didn't care for one, you could love the other. But yeah, I'd suggest grabbing Welcome Back, Frank and the first volume or two of Punisher MAX and checking it out.

Ennis' Marvel Knights Punisher is my personal favorite since it's just pure fun. It just makes me happy reading it. It doesn't take itself seriously at all and it's the best. The only thing I don't like about the Marvel Knights Punisher run is that most of it isn't in print. If they reprinted that omnibus, I would be the happiest man alive.
Punisher MAX is 100% serious, but equally well done. I just enjoy the not-so-serious stuff most of the time. Punisher MAX is pretty brilliant though. The Mother Russia arc is one of my top-five favorite arcs in comics.

Punisher MAX sounds like the path I may take first. What's the word on Gillen's run?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I too don't understand the whole "people hate the mutants" angle in a world of marvels, never will. Oh, it's because mutations are unnatural or they will replace humans as the dominant species or something. We almost got turned into a Skrull slave planet!
Do you understand real world rasicm? Why some people think that white migrants who barely speak the language are better migrants than black migrants who speak the language almost perfectly?

Mutant vs. superhuman Marvel racism is almost as non-understandable as real life racism. Its very similar.

I guess if you can't actually respond to my post point by point this is...one other way to go.

Definitely not cynical at all, though.

Sorry I just wish everyone in the world could be as enthusiastic as me it would be so rad

Some runs deserve to have never existed for their character assassinations. Lobdell turned Kid Flash into a murdering future space terrorist. Then he had Solstice merc a dude (a judge if I recall) out of the blue for no other reason except so she'd be sentenced to the prison planet and be able to stay with him. It's so fucking bad. It's literally the worst.

TT2809.jpg~320x480

FUCK THIS.

Kipp

Punisher MAX sounds like the path I may take first. What's the word on Gillen's run?

Sweet. You really can't go wrong one way or the other.
Fair warning though, I personally didn't love the first two arcs of Punisher MAX. I mean, they're definitely good and completely worth reading, but they weren't anything super special in my opinion. So if you do just grab the first OHC or the first TPB, know that that's not its full potential. Hopefully I'm not turning you off of the run at all by saying that, but I just don't want you to be grab the first volume and be like "I mean, it was okay, but I don't see what the fuss is about" and then stop reading there.

And I don't think Gillen had a Punisher run if that's what you were asking.

Gillen and McKelvie on a Punisher book might be just what Marvel needs for The Punisher to be a hit again

Some runs deserve to have never existed for their character assassinations. Lobdell turned Kid Flash into a murdering future space terrorist. Then he had Solstice merc a dude (a judge if I recall) out of the blue for no other reason except so she'd be sentenced to the prison planet and be able to stay with him. It's so fucking bad. It's literally the worst.

lmao wooooow

Cade

That.... Man, I talk some shit on X-Men stuff but Lobdell needs to be tried, man. Goddamn.

Owzers

Do you understand real world rasicm? Why some people think that white migrants who barely speak the language are better migrants than black migrants who speak the language almost perfectly?

Mutant vs. superhuman Marvel racism is almost as non-understandable as real life racism. Its very similar.

Hmmmm well, Obama becoming president ended racism in America, the only solution is to have a mutant president.My thinking was that with all the threats and new species out there, people would hate mutants less and turn their hatred to someone else.

edit: I think having a mutant president was something Bendis did in Battle of the Atom now that i think about it...and it didn't go well. I blame Bendis.

Kipp

Sorry I just wish everyone in the world could be as enthusiastic as me it would be so rad

You're very passionate about comics, and that's really cool and I love that about you when the passion comes out in a positive way. But your passion for comics also translates into passionately arguing with people when they disagree with your opinion (and not the good, "thoughtful discussion" kind of arguing; it's usually the more vitriolic kind) and that's not so cool.

You're a good guy, Birdie. Just check yoself.

Kipp

Honestly I think we should have a ComicGAF fight club.

We'll all dress up in ridiculous cosplays and go at it in the lobbies of major comic cons while shouting about which of us would win in a fight, OT thread style.

I'll be Doop. The intimidation factor alone would give me a massive advantage.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Hmmmm well, Obama becoming president ended racism in America, the only solution is to have a mutant president.My thinking was that with all the threats and new species out there, people would hate mutants less and turn their hatred to someone else.

edit: I think having a mutant president was something Bendis did in Battle of the Atom now that i think about it...and it didn't go well. I blame Bendis.

I have no idea what exactly you mean with this and what this has to do with my point, that racism makes most the time no real sense...

TT2809.jpg~320x480

FUCK THIS.
Yep. That just all around horrible.

Yo, we're like Heroclix brothers. My army is about 16 strong not including my Master Mold.

I'm behind like three sets for budget reasons but I've been cherry picking figures here and there. And I'm going to assume we're not counting the small Sentinels out of Chaos War or whatever, in which case, I bow before your superior Sentinel fandom. -- That's Omega Sentinel, right?

I could take GrandHarrier.

tumblr_lykx1en3sV1qbh2jco1_r1_250.gif

Yep. That just all around horrible.

The worst.

Top Bottom