• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Why is everyone on twitter moaning about comics continuity and diversity today? What tumblr ass shit has occurred now?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The list with books, that you give to your retailer so that you get all your comics on the date they come out.

ah ok, I used to do that using Previews. is that thing still...a thing? Previews I mean. Like a big phone book type deal with all the upcoming comics

Serious or Marvel Unlimited snobbery? ;)

just like me asking what OHC was earlier, serious. just getting a feel for all the terminology

ah ok, I used to do that using Previews. is that thing still...a thing? Previews I mean. Like a big phone book type deal with all the upcoming comics

Yes it is. Marvel has their own and then DC and almost all the other publishers are in their own large one. Also, pull lists typically offer a discount off cover price. The more you pull and promise to buy the bigger the discount.

Zombine

Banned
My LCS knows that pull lists aren't for me. I would be emailing them daily, just adding and removing shit depending on my mood.

Why is everyone on twitter moaning about comics continuity and diversity today? What tumblr ass shit has occurred now?

I don't really care what Twitter thinks. I just listen to ComicGAF.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is it revealed if we get a Secret Wars Guidebook similar to what Morrision did?
I would ask in the specific thread, but they only argue what a reboot is and what not...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yes it is. Marvel has their own and then DC and almost all the other publishers are in their own large one. Also, pull lists typically offer a discount off cover price. The more you pull and promise to buy the bigger the discount.

that I didnt have :p to be fair tho, in my day we didnt even have a comic store (nor do we these days really, small town in a small country, not exactly the business you want to open, the import comic business >_>)

I used to get my stuff from "a guy". He wasnt shady or anything (I think lol), just he had this deal where he imported stuff for people that wanted it but he didnt have a store per se, I dont think he had enogh costumers for that.

Amanda Conner was drawing on her nametag at the bat conference. Looooove

10729345_1413101558987894_2144427943_n.jpg

Amanda Conner is one of the best in the biz. Not many do facial expressions like she does.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Yeah, but normally I can trace outrage culture back to something thats actually happened, but I'm drawing up a blank today. They've all gone in to some hivemind defence over something seemingly completely invisible to me. Twitters been hiveminding A LOT recently actually, been getting pretty creepy at points.

barrin87

So I figured I should read at least one thing from DC so I was thinking about trying Wonder Woman. Should I just start with the New 52 or is there something better?

Zombine

Banned
Yeah, but normally I can trace outrage culture back to something thats actually happened, but I'm drawing up a blank today. They've all gone in to some hivemind defence over something seemingly completely invisible to me. Twitters been hiveminding A LOT recently actually, been getting pretty creepy at points.

They probably can't stand that there is a ton of positivity in the air for both DC & Marvel. They're both doing a lot of wicked cool things.

So I figured I should read at least one thing from DC so I was thinking about trying Wonder Woman. Should I just start with the New 52 or is there something better?

There's no better WW story than the first New 52 run by Azzarello and Chiang. Until Morrison's Earth One comes out, at least.

arkon

Caught up on Umbral and Hinterkind. Both creative teams are killing it so much they are knocking it out of the park. Poor it. The colours are popping more than popcorn in a microwave. I bet they pop even more with digital because that is what digital does to colours. It makes them pop. The visuals are a visceral feast for the eyes. They have to be seen to be believed. I'm still having trouble believing They are at once sensuously evocative and evocatively sensuous.

In short: Absolutely magisterial.

PsychBat!

Banned
Seriously, tumblr's reactions to comic books are like the reactions in OT comic threads here. Just quick dismissals and shitty drive by posts.

I'm not seeing what any of you guys are seeing on twitter or tumblr lol. I feel like it's super easy to avoid that kinda stuff if you wanna

I'm not seeing what any of you guys are seeing on twitter or tumblr lol. I feel like it's super easy to avoid that kinda stuff if you wanna

I follow dcwomenkickingass and half the time she has insightful views that are really interesting. The other half of the time is desperately finding something to be offended at. She is seething at the fact that Batwoman is cancelled. You'd think it was an attack on LGBT people and not a response to low sales (and she offers only a grudging acknowledgement of a Midnighter solo title).

What if Morrison's Wonder Woman isn't good?

:(

What if it makes no sense?

It's like being drawn to a bright light..

"There was nothing. Followed by everything. Swirling, burning specks of creation that circled life-giving suns. And then, we raced to the light."

i'm just spreading Messi Tales in order to make people aware of the world we live in. One man thinks he's starting an innocent pull list, but really he's just adding another bag to the sniffer's buffet.

A no-sniff situation, the Kobyashi Maru of comics.

InStockTrades is having an IDW sale
Everybody get the Dungeons and Dragons comic series by John Rogers

I concur. Fantastic series that should be read by people that like fun comics.

3d6f756ad7a21989f61921f63b296a89.jpg

They probably can't stand that there is a ton of positivity in the air for both DC & Marvel. They're both doing a lot of wicked cool things.

ba87ae0b37d9010425208c9b10c63ef2.jpg

arkon

Seriously, tumblr's reactions to comic books are like the reactions in OT comic threads here. Just quick dismissals and shitty drive by posts.

You've just quickly dismissed the entirety of comic book and related discussion on tumblr with a shitty drive by post. That kind of generalizing gets us nowhere.

Like moths drawn to a flame. It's a vicious cycle.

Comics artists are great to follow on tumblr

Pinna is who killed All New Ultimates for me. just too sloppy
I follow dcwomenkickingass and half the time she has insightful views that are really interesting. The other half of the time is desperately finding something to be offended at. She is seething at the fact that Batwoman is cancelled. You'd think it was an attack on LGBT people and not a response to low sales (and she offers only a grudging acknowledgement of a Midnighter solo title).

That's a fair point. I hate to say that someone "tries to be offended" buuuuut I unfollowed her a few months back for the same-ish reason (that and she's not that interesting a writer/critic to begin with imo)

Dunbar

I'm surprised that so many avid readers in here don't have a pull list set up. I stop in my LCS every Wednesday on my lunch break, the owner hands me my stack of books, we chat for a few minutes, and I'm ready to go. Sometimes I scan the New Releases to see if there's anything I missed in my pulls, but that's it.

Granted, I'm usually pulling 10-20 books per week, so it saves me a lot of time versus someone who might only pull a few, but it also guarantees I won't miss anything the shop orders only a few of or doesn't order at all. Plus, when you subscribe to a book, it lets the owner know there is some interest, and they might order a few more for people who only buy off the shelf.

Pull lists can be insidious if you aren't keeping track of what's on it. You start off with a modest 15 books a month, add one or two more every week and suddenly all your expendable income is going towards this stupid hobby and you wake up alone in a dumpster wondering how everything went so wrong.

Pullists can be insidious if you aren't keeping track of what's on it. You start off with a modest 15 books a month, add one or two more every week and suddenly all your expendable income is going towards this stupid hobby and you wake up alone in a dumpster wondering how everything went so wrong.

And then there's that awkward obligation to your LCS to buy the stuff you forgot to take off.

That's why CMX saved my life. I can put stuff on a Wish List instead of a Pull List. So much cheaper.

Top Bottom