• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

I've been semi-ignoring the new Fire Emblem because of the split version release thing, totally sours me on a game. That and i've never played a fire emblem game despite owning Awakening for 3ds.

Awakening is amazing. Get on it.

I'm still sour about Fates not even having a release date over here yet.

PsychBat!

Banned
Awakening is phantasmic (made up word I know). I love it.

I'll get back on Awakening once Splatfest is finished. Pokemon Blue!!!!!!

Finally caught up on Batman 46-49 -- really looking forward to 50! I have mixed feelings about the arc so far, as it's had some great moments(especially in the last 3 issues)... but I'll be glad to see the end of Botman.

Foofaraw

Thank God the hobby is fairly inexpensive compared to, say, video games lol.
Avoid statues like the plague. They all have paint defects and are over priced.

Read Usagi Yojimbo. Best comics is best.

I think comics are a big part of the reason I mostly play f2p stuff like Warframe and Puzzle and Dragons now.

Ugh comixology why. I just bought Hellboy vol.1 and Punisher Max vol.1 and my iPad app keeps on getting download errors and telling me they are either missing from the server or corrupt. Wtf. I don't really wanna read these on my phone or laptop (which can both access them fine).

On the bright side, I did end up reading the first chapter of Hellboy on my tiny ass iPhone screen and the comic itself is awesome so far. Mignola's art is so good.

I made my first IST order in 6 months a few days ago. Vol 2 of Johns GL Omnibus. That's been the huge cut that I have made. I was spending $150 there a month in 2015. That has pretty much paid for my Hot Toys. I have cut my comic pull down also. My simple criteria for that is if I can't remember what happened the last issue, it gets considered for a drop. That has allowed me to see the amount of content that my brain can withstand where I don't feel overwhelmed. It also makes things more enjoyable if I don't have to go reread stuff to enjoy the story.

I'm only going to be buying Mighty Thor, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers and Transformers MTMTE for the forseeable future. I might be picking up the new Dungeons & Dragons series when that launches. I have gotten an itch to read some X-Men and Deadpool because of the movie, but not enough to buy something. If there's a good bundle, I'll jump on that, but otherwise, nah. It's not like comics have a best before date (well, most of them anyway).

I got a similar feeling at the end of Secret Wars to when I finished Secret Invasion, except Secret Wars was good. It just felt like a natural place to put comics away for awhile. I don't want to be That Guy, but the relaunches grate after awhile. It's not even a money thing, if I was interested I would find the money. Not much feels exciting anymore.

I'd easily spend more on games. Probably around €200 this year so far, rising to €350 if we include the Winter Sales, but that was giftcard money. I might buy Street Fighter V, but otherwise, again except for bundles, I think I'm okay until Total Warhammer comes out. Now I just have to figure out what to play....

Zombine

Banned
I also don't think most Image books are worth the weekly purchase. A majority of what they put out is just me-too throwaway crap.

"This book is kind of like this movie, but it had a twist from this popular movie. Please read the #1 and waste your $2.99 because the rest of it is pure trash."

Rinse, and repeat.

You're better off finding a few books from your favorite writers and following them.

george_us

lol I spent like $400 dollars on comics last month. I never spent that on video games.
Holy shit! What did you get?
Avoid statues like the plague. They all have paint defects and are over priced.

Read Usagi Yojimbo. Best comics is best.

I think comics are a big part of the reason I mostly play f2p stuff like Warframe and Puzzle and Dragons now.
Too late. I've been collecting figures for well over two years now and have even dabbled in Sideshow figures. Talk about expensive!

And I plan on mainly collecting trades and hardcovers from InStockTrades to keep from burning a hole in my wallet. My most recent order only came up to 80-ish dollars including shipping. I'll probably spend twice that on games in March. Probably 4 or 5 times that amount on figures if I actually had the space. Probably helps that I'll also only follow a small handful of titles per year though.

I also don't think most Image books are worth the weekly purchase. A majority of what they put out is just me-too throwaway crap.

"This book is kind of like this movie, but it had a twist from this popular movie. Please read the #1 and waste your $2.99 because the rest of it is pure trash."

Rinse, and repeat.

You're better off finding a few books from your favorite writers and following them.

pretty harsh thing to say about Mark Millar comics

Li Kao

Hmm, just a stupid question but what are for you Marvel's core titles ? I mean the sort of books that more or less drive the... line ? canon ?
I can totally see which is which on DC side but Marvel is like an avalanche happened and fuck if I can tell a minor title from a major one.

Owzers

Hmm, just a stupid question but what are for you Marvel's core titles ? I mean the sort of books that more or less drive the... line ? canon ?
I can totally see which is which on DC side but Marvel is like an avalanche happened and fuck if I can tell a minor title from a major one.

it's kind of a mess right now because Hickman left the Avengers books, Bendis is writing Iron Man and doing Civil War 2, and Spencer/people are doing a crossover Pleasant Hill series. I've given up on that side of the marvel universe monthly in favor of MU and buying the other standout titles, trying new things like Black Panther, Gwenpool, Power Man and iron Fist, Patsy Walker, Howard the Duck, Doctor Strange, and for now Ultimates.

Anddddddd my ipad air 2 smart cover is officially dead, the cover part is now halfway detached from the magnet strip, couldn't survive hearthstone watching.

I'd probably say Invincible Iron-Man and Avengers.

Li Kao

I'd probably say Invincible Iron-Man and Avengers.

Thanks for your input you two, it's maybe a stupid question but I'm really struggling with my ocd here.
Prices have exploded since I stopped reading comics regularly a couple of years ago and it feels like there has never been so many releases and publishers. Make setting up a pull list really difficult for me.
So Marvel Unlimited, yeah, I think that's an obligatory thing. But even then, total price is mad. Not really helped by the fact that I won't be caught dead pre-ordering comics months in advance anymore and digital issues are pricey as hell.

By the way is it me or the major publishers...
- Don't offer a discount on the digital version of their titles ? Ok I cannnn kinda understand that one.
- Price their collected edition at no discount either ? That, that irks me.

Hellers

I recently switched from my iPad Air to a Nvidia shield for my comic reading. It's rather nice. Super stunning 8 inch screen. Great colours, up to 128gig microsd card and now with Android Marshmallow I converted my sd card to adoptive storage. Now I can save my Comixology stuff on the sd card rather than the limited internal storage. Very pleased with it. I'm using Comic Rack to read my cbr collection. I'd be tempted to resub to Marvel U if they ever bothered to unturd their app.

Excellent tablet and dirt cheap too.

https://shield.nvidia.co.uk/tablet/k1

I'm still plodding through Fantastic Four. Once I hit the JMS stuff it started getting really good. Past that now and just finished the storyline where the Thing didn't end up getting married (Spoiler) and also Doctor Doom did some shit because he's a douche.

Downloading my Comixology stuff again is a pain in the arse though. I've currently got 74 collections queued up to download. It's slow and keeps timing out forcing me to keep an eye on it. If it fails to download something the app is stupid enough not to do anything until I pause and restart something. Very frustrating. I have the same issue on the iOS app as well.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the DC Rebirth stuff now. I like the sound of some of the stuff that they've announced (JSA for starters) and some of the potential is quite interesting.

Civil War 2? Meh. I find Marvel events to be pretty dull generally.

I'm about 20 issues into the current Ninja Turtles run and I love it. I've never read them before and I'm really digging this.

I'm also reading a manga about a shy girl who discovers the hottest boy in class likes her. It's very sweet.

I have the first two volumes of Black Science on Comixology. I should really get around to reading those.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Quoting myself:

I like Millar, I'll keep following Millar. Insert whoever you like and try to not let your list flow out of control.

I'm holding steady at 30 Image subscriptions right now. But with hiatuses I'm usually only buying about 20 a month give or take a few. I think I only had 17 in the May solicits.

There are probably 4 or 5 titles I could trim off the bottom without missing but I'm really enjoying the majority of what I'm reading.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Limbo, same fate as Gamora except while Gamora is in limbo due to the writer of that book doing the Cap Marvel movie, there was a harsh reaction for Blade because of the daughter angle. All we know is that the original writer has quietly left the book.

gambit-deadpool-cover-defb3.jpg

Gambit/Deadpool miniseries...yaaaaUGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

Deadpool has his swords on the inside of Gambit's staff. So Gambit is already dead.

Bii

I know I said last year I wasn't going to SDCC this year...but, you know, I was just curious to see what tickets were available to me if I were to get into the waiting room.

And now I'm going again this year. Couldn't resist turning down a 4-day badge. :D

Messi

I know I said last year I wasn't going to SDCC this year...but, you know, I was just curious to see what tickets were available to me if I were to get into the waiting room.

And now I'm going again this year. Couldn't resist turning down a 4-day badge. :D

:p

I'll be in touch.

Maybe kinda problem not.

Guys, I just heard a rumor that DC is doing an All-Star Batman and Robin sequel.

Bullshit, right? Wasn't able to find anything with a quick google.

Aha, you are going! Shoulda figured you couldn't resist!

I got a 4-day right before they sold out for Saturday. Pretty cool, never been for 4 days before

Vyer

Man, that Cho dude is a real tool.

it's kind of a mess right now because Hickman left the Avengers books, Bendis is writing Iron Man and doing Civil War 2, and Spencer/people are doing a crossover Pleasant Hill series. I've given up on that side of the marvel universe monthly in favor of MU and buying the other standout titles, trying new things like Black Panther, Gwenpool, Power Man and iron Fist, Patsy Walker, Howard the Duck, Doctor Strange, and for now Ultimates.

Anddddddd my ipad air 2 smart cover is officially dead, the cover part is now halfway detached from the magnet strip, couldn't survive hearthstone watching.

At least your iPad is still intact. I haven't read a comic in like a whole week. :(

Top Bottom